USADA files doping charges against Lance

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    mfin wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    He might end up with the 2010 tour being his only grand tour win.

No, A Schleck won that.

Ha ha, oh yeah - the one where he did it without Bruyneel he got busted. Oops. You'd think I'd remember, it got mentioned once or twice on here... :oops:
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    iainf72 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Larry did nt globalise cycling, he America-ised it is all. I can't understand why people say this is going to be bad for grass roots cycling, I'm not going to pick up my bike this weekend becasue Armstrong doped?!?! Come on!

He may have globalised wrist bands I admit. But as a Teen Skater Punk I'd been doign that for years anyway!

I disagree. For a while there, Lance *was* cycling to the masses. And not just in the US, it was pretty much anywhere.

To be honest I don't mind if he keeps the 7 Tour titles but he should be edited out of Dodgeball. I love that movie and I'd replace him with an honest doper like Jan Ulrich. Any other suggestions?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Fan boys should right click save as these are getting deleted
    This one stays, though, right?

7186586165_a657072de6.jpg
  • iainf72 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Larry did nt globalise cycling, he America-ised it is all. I can't understand why people say this is going to be bad for grass roots cycling, I'm not going to pick up my bike this weekend becasue Armstrong doped?!?! Come on!

He may have globalised wrist bands I admit. But as a Teen Skater Punk I'd been doign that for years anyway!

I disagree. For a while there, Lance *was* cycling to the masses. And not just in the US, it was pretty much anywhere.

Completely agree, but that doesn't mean there are loads more people cycling because of him. He was the unmistakably the face of cycling for non-cyclists, but did that really prompt thousands more of them to take up cycling? I doubt it. British success has had a much bigger influence in that IMO.

I was one of the yellow band wearers when he first did them. But when it became "fashionable" I stopped (that's how cool I am 8) ), but I think that's unrelated for whether people started cycling.

I really do believe his influence on the cycling world is over-stated, simply because of his celebrity status
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    skylla wrote:

Perhaps. But I think it is false to say that it put an awful lot more bikes on the road.

I don't. I think he had a huggggge affect.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    skylla wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Perhaps. But I think it is false to say that it put an awful lot more bikes on the road.
    I don't think Armstrong made any difference to the number of bikes on the road in continental Europe.
    If anything, there seemed to be slight drop in the early 2000s (not necessarily to do with Armstrong either), which has since turned around again.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Boy Lard
    Boy Lard Posts: 445
    I think I am most concerned about how this impacts on the story line in Dodgeball. It doesn't make such a dramatic impact, the 'never quit' message coming from a 'convicted' cheat (if he is). I wonder if he will still get royalties from replays and dvd sales. :wink:
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    iainf72 wrote:
    Race Radio has just pondered on twitter "how long will the criminal case stay closed now the public know about the USADA case"
    You win the doping case, the criminal one is easy after that.
    Could the criminal case be re-opened? I'd have thought the decision to close it was final, if not why didn't the oft quoted 'person close to the investigation' that supposedly thought there was lots of good evidence not go down that path?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    iainf72 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

But was "cycling to the masses" cycling? If you see what I mean. What effect did he have?

But 'that "American cancer bloke" what rides that race in france...' is hardly cycling. I mean, they may have known his name and the name of the Tour De France, but did they know any more about cycling or ride more bikes? In the US yes, Everywhere else...?

Personally way more people have spoken to me about cyclists (why has nt Cav won the yellow jersey) since Larry than before.

Edit - already been covered above
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Small add-on to the Simeoni issue - in his original testimony he did NOT admit to doping, it was only later that he changed his testimony to say that he did and it was under Ferrari's direction. IIRC the "No I never doped" to "Yes I doped under Ferrari's direction" was at least part of what got to Armstrong.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Cycle to work schemes have probably put more bums on saddles that either LA or the Olympics
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Maybe Chris Boardman has had a bigger influence on cycling in the UK than LA?
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Boy Lard wrote:
    I think I am most concerned about how this impacts on the story line in Dodgeball. It doesn't make such a dramatic impact, the 'never quit' message coming from a 'convicted' cheat (if he is). I wonder if he will still get royalties from replays and dvd sales. :wink:

Good point. Perhaps it would be best to re-shoot the "never quit" scene with one of LA's most ardent pursuers. That would also shovel in a ton of irony to those "in the know"
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    UCI response http://tinyurl.com/c2s4b7e
    This is the first time USADA has communicated to UCI on this subject.

Sub-text 'Why the **** didn't you tell us first?!' ;)
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    iainf72 wrote:
    skylla wrote:

I don't. I think he had a huggggge affect.

Agreed. He is cycling to people who don't follow the sport.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    iainf72 wrote:
    Simeoni basically said Ferrari gave him dope. Which displeased Armstrong (Ferrari being his prepatore) so when Simeoni went on an attack, he followed him. The break would've never got away with LA there so he was forced to go back to the peloton. And be spat on.

Thanks Iain.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,584
    iainf72 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

He did globalise it. I was one of 300 on his first twitter ride in Paisley. Not long after that thousands upon thousands joined him in Dublin, LA etc.

What other cyclist(s) could have gathered that many people in 12 hours with only 140 characters.

Not long after that so many details of about his doping emerged that I would not join another similar event.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    Alan A wrote:

What other cyclist(s) could have gathered that many people in 12 hours with only 140 characters.

Cav?
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    The internet & Cable TV has had far more effect on cycling in Britain than Armstrong.

Pre internet what you got for cycling coverage was: 3 weeks of half hour highlights on Channel4 during the TdF. A couple of paragraphs per TdF stage in the back of the broadsheets.

The internet has liberated minority sports from the tyranny of geography.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    josame wrote:
    Alan A wrote:

Cav?

Riccardo Ricco would pull a good crowd. They'd all have burning torches and pitchforks, but even so...
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    [/quote]

Riccardo Ricco would pull a good crowd. They'd all have burning torches and pitchforks, but even so...[/quote]

That actually made me laugh out loud ! However get in the queue; behind me, that is...
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    ddraver wrote:

That is a work of a true GENIUS!

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • ddraver
    josame wrote:
    Alan A wrote:

Cav?

exactly....
    - @ddraver
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    Looks like Radioshack may be out of the tour:

http://www.rmcsport.fr/editorial/266964 ... armstrong/

If so, I hope their place goes to Bretagne-Schuler who should have had an invite in the first place!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Alan A wrote:

Not long after that so many details of about his doping emerged that I would not join another similar event.

...with your subsequent change of mind, there you go, using your same logic there would be stacks of people who could have potentially turned up but would probably rather have eaten their own arm off than go cycling with someone like him, me included.

(mind you, I wouldn't turn up to ride with any pro, cos I don't idolise any individual myself, but each to their own and I'm sure its enjoyable for many.)
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    He put bums on saddles for sure.... but I think not as overwhelmingly influential as some think to the growth of cycling in general.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    By the way, NIKE is down 5% on this news.
    Contador is the Greatest