Dauphine 2012 Spoiler

Comments

• thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    thegibdog wrote:
    Evans puts a dig in on last 10m of the climb, maybe he's rehearsing going for the polka dot jersey in the Tour?
    more like putting Andy under pressure.
    The way Andy's season's gone so far I'd be surprised if there is any pressure at all on Andy come the TdF. He's going to have to prepare very well if he's thinking about challenging for the GC.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    No, that's three of us in this thread alone. :wink:

I think the meaning of 'resemble' must have meant something else. I took it literally, to mean their kit looked the same, but now I think it must have meant they are all on the juice or the fact they had so many riders on the climb or something?
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    RichN95 wrote:
    I think Secret Squirrel was thinking back to some time before last month. In fact back to the days of USP / Discovery. If so, I must admit to having much the same thought. :wink:

When US Postal did it, there was just Basso or Beloki left at the end. Today the likes of Weening, Kiryenka and Zubeldia were still there...
    All the more impressive then...
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Sky with 3 of the top 4 on GC and 4 of the top 10.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,185
    It was vety USPS-esque but does anyone really think it's fuelled the same way? Others like Liquigas have used the tactic recently but they haven't ended up with 4 riders still there at the finish. They even looked like they could up it at any time if required. I got the feeling Evans attack over the top was his way of trying to say he hadn't been in trouble but there were a few times where he looked like aslight increase in pace would finish him. Sky must be pleased that they have options if something happens to Wiggins this year.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited September 2015
    This is a spoiler thread but after reading the last postings I have no idea what went on in this stage or even who won!

Shame this one finished early, went for a long ride (f the wind) hoping to settle down to watch this one.

Wilco lost a few mins. Ok Sky are good but just owning individuals is not very commendable. From what I can read, Feillu broke from t he breakaway on Colombier and only got caught near the top of Joux Plane - v long time solo, respect.

Moreno up there.
    1 Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas (Col) Movistar Team 4:46:12
    2 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:00:16
    3 Daniel Moreno Fernandez (Spa) Katusha Team 0:00:24
    4 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Sky Procycling
    5 Pieter Weening (Ned) Orica GreenEdge
    6 Christopher Froome (GBr) Sky Procycling
    7 Vasil Kiryienka (Blr) Movistar Team
    8 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Lotto Belisol Team
    9 Michael Rogers (Aus) Sky Procycling
    10 Haimar Zubeldia (Spa) RadioShack-Nissan

Andy - well always said he was a lightweight.

Nibali dropped - fail. Stop bigging yourself up and put something on the table.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    andy.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thegibdog
    smithy21 wrote:
    Wonder if there's any thought in the Sky camp of trying to get Froome the 13 seconds he needs over Evans to make it a Sky 1-2-3 tomorrow? Obviously their first priority will be securing Wiggins 1st but if it's on the cards at the end it'd be interesting to see if they went for it!
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    If anything Sky are showing the problem they have. Any of Rogers, Froome or Wiggins could be the outright team leader in the Dauphine. Probably Porte too. With four riders in the top 10 and three in the top four they have a wonderful, but also difficult situation. They want to make the race hard enough to stop people attacking, but maybe not hard enough that any of the four (or at the very least Wiggo, Froome and Rogers) blow.

From what I've read recently, the ride up the Joux Plane today is probably a repeat of what Sky have been practicing regularly in training in Tenerife.

Should they simply maintain the same positions after tomorrow's stage it would surely be the most dominating World Tour race result in terms of top ten GC positions in recent memory. Having placed a few riders in the top ten in Romandie and two in the top ten in the Giro Sky are definitely the stand out stage race performers in 2012 by a mile.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    thegibdog wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:
    Wonder if there's any thought in the Sky camp of trying to get Froome the 13 seconds he needs over Evans to make it a Sky 1-2-3 tomorrow? Obviously their first priority will be securing Wiggins 1st but if it's on the cards at the end it'd be interesting to see if they went for it!

I think Evans trying to get 16 seconds on Rogers is more likely (and more achievable)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I think this show of strength by sky may make it harder for them at the tour, no team will want to help them. It's going to be a long 3 weeks.
    Ideally Wiggo will stay 1s off the yellow jersey until the final TT then boss it. :)
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • thegibdog
    RichN95 wrote:
    thegibdog wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:
    I think Evans trying to get 16 seconds on Rogers is more likely (and more achievable)
    Probably, but then that would hardly be remarkable would it?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I think this show of strength by sky may make it harder for them at the tour, no team will want to help them. It's going to be a long 3 weeks.
    Ideally Wiggo will stay 1s off the yellow jersey until the final TT then boss it. :)
    You are @millarmind and I claim my five pounds :D

https://twitter.com/millarmind/status/2 ... 3466224641
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Cant imagine Sky would blink for a second if sacrifing people so lng as it meant they get the top spot. If tey can do it with a numer of riders in the GC then great. But winning is the key thing surely.
  • frenchfighter
    edited September 2015
    del
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    So Edvald did domestique duty on the front for SKY yesterday & was clearly left to take it easy in the bunch with no obligations today...
    At one point he asked me pleadingly, "Is this hard? Because it feels MUCH harder than it should be." I pitied him. He then won. WTF?
    He's a freak.

@Millarmind
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    No one has called out that one of Sky's top 2 men used to be coached by Dr Ferrari? You lot disappoint me.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:
    No one has called out that one of Sky's top 2 men used to be coached by Dr Ferrari? You lot disappoint me.

I used to smoke. Now I don't. Times change.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Team Skys bikes are actually made from 'carbonised EPO'.
  • liquor box
    liquor box Posts: 184
    RichN95 wrote:
    thegibdog wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:

Evans still needs to look better than other Aussies to get selected for the London TIme Trial. I honestly think he will be due to his TDF win last year and his popularity, but there are getting to be some good cases for him not to be selected.
    I wonder if BMC will allow him to go on a personal crusade to get a spot at London?
  • iainf72
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

I used to smoke. Now I don't. Times change.

Ok.

One of Sky's top 2 men who used to train with Dr Ferrari has been training again in Tenerife (where Ferrari loves training). And the same guy couldn't do a good performance in a TT until this year since he stopped working with the good doctor.

[Note to all : I don't believe there is anything amiss, I'm just trying to raise the standard of conspiracy beyond "it looks like USPS" which is borderline retarded)
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:
    One of Sky's top 2 men who used to train with Dr Ferrari has been training again in Tenerife (where Ferrari loves training). And the same guy couldn't do a good performance in a TT until this year since he stopped working with the good doctor.

He's still done some good time trial performances. Look on CQ for his TT performances in 2009 & 2010 - fairly decent.

Now for some 2+2=5 or 4 speculation. A couple of years ago there was a paper produced by some Australians, I forget the name - something like 'New pathway in cycling'. They confidentially interviewed with lots of pros. One bit said that there was a top Australian pro who, back in the day, doped for one race every year. He doped for that race to make sure he got a good contract and the rest of the time he was clean.

Now here's the question. If you were going to dope for just one race a year - and therefore wanted a guaranteed result - which race would you choose?
  • iainf72
    RichN95 wrote:

Now here's the question. If you were going to dope for just one race a year - and therefore wanted a guaranteed result - which race would you choose?

Eneco Tour. Without question
  • iainf72
    Via @raceradio

Porte today on Col de Joux Plane 35:36. Pantani1997 32:55 (!) Ullrich 97 33:50

So not so much ET as Cocoon. 2.
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Eneco Tour. Without question

That's only because you love it so much.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Another early "beat the tennis" start.
    Thomas Voeckler quits the race.
    Doesn't look like a repeat is on the cards.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    A group of 8 good riders about 2 mins ahead, including Rolland (like yesterday) and other Frenchmen Coppel, Le Mevel and Chavenel.
    And Westra.
    Also Fofonov, Popovych and Vandenbergh.
  • RichN95.
    Only 40km to go. It will be touch and go as to whether Eurosport actually get to show any racing.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    30k now...

Strava is not Zen.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Weening on the attack along with Nibali