Dauphine 2012 Spoiler

Comments

• ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Assuming he's not simply off form, with his ride in the TT (solid, but ridden at 90%?) and now at 3:34 on GC (I'd usually put him troubling top 5 in a TT like yesterday); d'you reckon Sky might be tee-ing RP up for something solo/small break in the mountains or would they never risk having anything other than a full compliment of lieutenants in formation around Wiggo?
    I'm thinking sending Porte up the road could mean Sky won't have to control all day.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    As Blazing pointed out, Martin crashed on Wed which could have hampered him in the TT.

He looked pretty beat up:

029-IMG_9905_edited-1.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Menchov's position has was pretty funny. Going for the superman.

240-PIC285451805.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    At the risk of turning this thread into another rant at Harmon, I'm not sure whether I'm missing something here but @spokesmen was tweeting earlier today suggesting that Wiggins had passed Evans and Evans had got back at him.
    Anyone know what he's on about ?
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    dsoutar wrote:
    At the risk of turning this thread into another rant at Harmon, I'm not sure whether I'm missing something here but @spokesmen was tweeting earlier today suggesting that Wiggins had passed Evans and Evans had got back at him.
    Anyone know what he's on about ?

I didn't notice it if it did happen - Harmon does seem to have a bit of a love affair going on with Evans.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    It's not true. Someone tweeted a picture from a different race, and it tricked Harmon and Rendell.
  • frenchfighter
    Millar also lost his water bottle yday!!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I lost my bottle in the middle of the bunch a few weeks ago, felt like a right tit....It would appear i'm in good company though!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • frenchfighter
    Cobo dropped on côte de Corlier

Devolder abandons
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    edited June 2012
    Dimitri Fofonov (AST), Alberto Losada (KAT), Kevin Reza (EUC), José Sarmiento (LIQ), Rémi Di Gregorio (COF), Egoi Martinez (EUS), Arthur Vichot (FDJ), Daniel Navarro (SAX) Maxime Médérel and Fabrice Jeandesbosz (SAU)

5 mins

GO NAVARRO. Saxo badly need a win.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    No Devolder in the Tour then.

What's his problem?
  • peterst6906
    peterst6906 Posts: 530
    No surprise there is an abandon today.

2 hours in averaging 45kph (49km first hour, 42km second hour) and now heading towards Le Grand Colombier.
  • frenchfighter
    edited June 2012
    No Devolder in the Tour then.

What's his problem?

Lightweight. Standard. Two-hit (drug-fueled?) wonder.

devolder1.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    edited June 2012
    GO NAVARRO. Saxo badly need a win.

Four riders not at start: Rosseler (GRM), Vanmarcke (GRM) – he finished last in the TT -, prologue winner Durbridge (OGE) and Geschke (ARG) – of all things, he crashed on the way to his hotel after finishing the TT!
    The roads are wet after morning rain (not sure if it’s raining still)

After about 10 km today, Gerard (FDJ) got off his bike - stomach problems. He was Lanterne Rouge, so at the moment, that honour now belongs (virtually) to Dan Martin.

Kadri took the points at the top of the first climb (at about 55 km), ahead of Edet and Moncoutie, in a group of about 20 riders about 20 seconds ahead of the main peloton.

After the top, the breakaway got swallowed up, then about 10 riders went clear again. And Devolder got off his bike.

The group of 10 is now 5-15 clear as they approach the bottom of the Grand Colombier and Navarro (SAXO) has the virtual yellow jersey by over one minute.

I’ve got to go out, can’t follow any more!
  • frenchfighter
    17km at 7% average for Colombier

Hope sky is clear as it is meant to be a lovely climb (can even see Mont Blanc from it)
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    knedlicky wrote:
    The group of 10 is now 5-15 clear as they approach the bottom of the Grand Colombier and Navarro (SAXO) has the virtual yellow jersey by over one minute.

Wow, great TT by him.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    Navarro is "only" 4 minutes ish down on GC so Sky won't give them too much room, whether they stay away may depend on whether anyone in the peloton fancies the stage.

Devolder abandons, now there's a surprise. I think his career at the top level may be nearing its end if he doesn't do something sharpish, he can't live off those Ronde wins forever.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Devolder abandons, now there's a surprise. I think his career at the top level may be nearing its end if he doesn't do something sharpish, he can't live off those Ronde wins forever.

I don't understand him.

He's got one of the biggest engines in the peloton when it's firing on all cylinders.

He has also put in some solid TTs in the past. 6th in the TT worlds isn't slow.

He came 3rd overall in the Tour de Suisse which included, amongst others, the Grimselpass, and obv. won the Ronde twice - soloing.

He's obviously super strong and I can see why the Belgians said he might be alright at stage racing.

Very odd.

I do know he can't ride the peloton which is unusual for a double Ronde winner. How often is it we've seen him waaay back in the middle of the peloton after they've crested another Helling in a Flemish one-dayer, or in the middle of the carnage at the Arenberg?
  • frenchfighter
    All on the climb now. Leaders still out front with Bouet and Chérel (ALM), Pauriol (FDJ), Feillu (SAU), Geniez (ARG), Marzano (LAM) and Moncoutie (COF) chasing.

COBO dropped again.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    He can if he never leaves northern Belgium.
  • inkyfingers
    I think it's fair to say that he may not have been a double Ronde winner if he didn't happen to have been on the same team as the favourite (i.e. Boonen), though winning the Ronde twice is still impressive, no matter how it happened.

I think his problem may be mental rather than physical, he's obviiously got the legs to do big things when on song but has he got the motivation to get back into that top shape again when he's already claimed the big one? There is also a clear fall off in form when he left Quick Step, he hasn't done anything of note since joining Vaconsoleil, maybe taking the name a little too literally.
  • frenchfighter
    Taarämae dropped

Vino dropped

Gilbert dropped

Millar dropped

Pate dropped

Knees dropped

KERN attacked and bridge to chasing group (now 3.30 behind leaders).

6km to summit
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    NB Kern got whacked in TT, down 7mins
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Kern and Feillu drop the chasers.

Only 50 or so in the Sky led bunch.

Chavanel struggling.

This is a climb to have visuals.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Vino's just not at the races is he?

I agree with Rick on Devolder, I think it's a mental thing. He also finished high in the Vuelta (top ten I think) and won the Tour of Austria. But I don't think saying someone "only" won two Rondes makes sense. Winning one makes your career a success. Defending it makes it a

th?id=I4675265764394376&pid=1.1
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • inkyfingers
    Gilbert dropped

Clearly still having trouble finding any form. I thought about picking him for PTP today, thinking he'd be dangerous with a reduced bunch finish. A guy that has won Lombardy and Leige should surely be able to get over todays climbs and contest the finish on a day like this surely? Only other option is that he's been sacrificed working for Evans but as we've had no pictures I guess we won't know.

Is there a point at which BMC would consider not picking Gilbert for the Tour? The first road stage looks made for him, but is there any point in taking him if he has no form and is unlikely to win that stage or be much use helping Evans? Sky are going to have a VERY strong team for Wiggins, that must be on BMCs mind. Though with no Hushovd they may want a back up plan just in case Evans got ill or crashed and he's Phillipe Gilbert, so would be a big step to leave him out.
  • frenchfighter
    Cobo abandons...

Moncoutié, Pauriol, Marzano and Geniez caught

Sarmiento tops first
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    A guy that has won Lombardy and Leige should surely be able to get over todays climbs and contest the finish on a day like this surely?

This climb is a beast. Not majorly, but still going to shell out a huge number of riders, even like Gilbert, as standard.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Hey Frenchie race apart - you must be happy bertie`s signed for another 3 years ?
  • inkyfingers
    A guy that has won Lombardy and Leige should surely be able to get over todays climbs and contest the finish on a day like this surely?

This climb is a beast. Not majorly, but still going to shell out a huge number of riders, even like Gilbert, as standard.

If this was the final climb in a Tour stage then you'd expect to see Gilbert dropped, but this is in the middle of a stage in the Dauphine with no serious GC attacks and changes in pace, just EBH setting a high tempo on the front. We all know that EBH is a good climber but you'd think that Gilbert would be able to hack it sat in the bunch. Or maybe EBH should have a go at Lombardy?

He could just have sat up to save himself for a stage win or he could have done a load of unseen work for Evans, am just posing the question.