Dauphine 2012 Spoiler

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Jesus Iain, you don't like Cav because he's one of them there sprinter folk, yet Wiggins is a climber and still doesn't float your patriotic boat?

I dislike Cavendish coz of his personality more than anything. Wiggins is just a bit meh. I didn't like him when he was a TT'er who couldn't win a TT, and not much has changed.

I like Holy David and Geraint, if that helps.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    RichN95 wrote:

Or he might be even slower (unlikely). Up until last year the received wisdom was that Evans didn't TT well in the third week (based on 2007 & 2008 Tours).

We just don't know.

Really?!?!

All I remember is that going into both those last TT's, Evans was expected by many to win the Tour, and didn't really get close.

His results were:
    2007: 2nd @0.51
    2008: 6th @1.44

2007 is good, people underestimated Contador, but 2008 was substandard and he was seen as a bit of a chocker. It was certainly no better than...

2009 6th Wiggins @0.43

And Wiggins wasn't winning TTs back then.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I like Wiggins as a British rider doing well, but that's about it. As Iain says, he seems a dull sort.

Holy Dave is entertaining and Cavendish is value for money.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    to be fair froome was there to ride the vuelta and wiggo only went after he had crashed in the tour
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited September 2015
    del
    Contador is the Greatest
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    iainf72 wrote:

Jesus Iain, you don't like Cav because he's one of them there sprinter folk, yet Wiggins is a climber and still doesn't float your patriotic boat?

I dislike Cavendish coz of his personality more than anything. Wiggins is just a bit meh. I didn't like him when he was a TT'er who couldn't win a TT, and not much has changed.

I like holy David, it's a shame his TT career is coming to a close though...
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Well i will be cheering Wiggins even if some say he is a bit of a dullard - You lot stole Robert Millar from us so am stealing back :D David Millar doesnt count he`s a Hong Kong Phooee scot 8)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Well i will be cheering Wiggins even if some say he is a bit of a dullard - You lot stole Robert Millar from us so am stealing back :D David Millar doesnt count he`s a Hong Kong Phooee scot 8)

Well, Maltese Scot. And Wiggins a a Belgie.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • disgruntledgoat
    iainf72 wrote:

I like holy David, it's a shame his TT career is coming to a close though...

I'm hoping he can hold it together long enough to win the 2014 Commonwealths... For purely selfish reasons that I'm going to be working on them and want pit passes!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    Talking of 100% Brits, an interesting side show today was the battle between Froome and Millar - both probably with their eyes on the 2nd Olympic TT slot.

Plastic Brit v Ex-Doper. Who will the more self-righteous people of the UK want more?
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    The ex-doper please.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Gazzetta67
    edited June 2012
    RichN95 wrote:
    Talking of 100% Brits, an interesting side show today was the battle between Froome and Millar - both probably with their eyes on the 2nd Olympic TT slot.

Plastic Brit v Ex-Doper. Who will the more self-righteous people of the UK want more?

You should write to Cycling weekly to pose that question.....oh hang on Cycling weekly gets confused about being self righteous around the time that richard virenque was in it under the headline "Is this guy too good to be true" and the next page it`s advertising that "clean" rider Tom Simpson book or dvd....oh hang on keep that quiet he`s british !!!
  • LeicesterLad
  • disgruntledgoat
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

You should write to Cycling weekly to pose that question.....oh hang on Cycling weekly gets confused about being self righteous around the time that richard virenque was in it under the headline "Is this guy too good to be true" and the next page it`s advertising that "clean" rider Tom Simpson book or dvd....oh hang on keep that quiet he`s british !!!

I wouldn't bother. You'll just end up with some advice on how self-righteousness when taken in the right amounts can gain you 0.5% on a sportive

@gietvangent
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    On this years form Wiggins does seem unbeatable. Unless something goes horribly wrong (like last year) or SKY have totally miscalcuated (possible) he is the man to beat. I remember last year lots of people saying Evans would never win it again but I guess no one knew there'd be no Contador and the Schlecks would be riding so badly.
    Are people still laughing at SKYs five year plan?
  • RichN95.
    I'll take the ex-doper. Froome is abit of a bore.

Nobody who has flattened a UCI official in a TT and been chased by a hippo can be that boring.
  • LeicesterLad
    RichN95 wrote:
    I'll take the ex-doper. Froome is abit of a bore.

Nobody who has flattened a UCI official in a TT and been chased by a hippo can be that boring.

True, and he payed off that old bloke he smahsed into during training to keep quiet about his injuries*

*probably not 100% true but its the jist i got from an article I read in a popular cycling magasine.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Great ride by Kelderman. Anybody called Wilko deserves to get a bit of praise.
    As WiggoSky: It's pity it's early June, not mid July. I hope the glue is long life and altitude proof.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frosty99
    frosty99 Posts: 115
    Do the race organisers provide the yellow skinsuit or do sky? I know how the jerseys work in normal stages but the Sky livery down the side of his shorts didn't look printed on and I imagine sizing in skinsuits is pretty vital!
  • LeicesterLad
    frosty99 wrote:
    Do the race organisers provide the yellow skinsuit or do sky? I know how the jerseys work in normal stages but the Sky livery down the side of his shorts didn't look printed on and I imagine sizing in skinsuits is pretty vital!

Wiggins said he was dissapointed to be in Yellow before the TT as it meant he couldn't wear his team issue skinsuit...so i guess it's provided by the race organisers?
  • Gazzetta67
    frosty99 wrote:

It`s the organisers who provide the skinsuit which is made by Le Coq Sportif.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Great ride from Wiggins. It has to be said that he is now not only talking the talk, but actually walking the walk.

Hopefully he's planned his peaks right, remember that just because he's winning now it doesn't mean he's peaked too soon, it might just mean that his 90% is better than Evan's 90%. Martin has also had a disrupted season due to injuries, if he was 100% i'd expect them to be closer, Martin probably winning 3 times out of 5.

As i've said before, it will be ironic if Wiggins flunks the Tour as he'll no doubt get a lot of stick, when the truth is that what he's achieved already this season is hugely impressive (assuming he goes on to win the Dauphine).

As for the Olympics i'd pick Millar for the second place. For me Froome still hasn't demonstrated enough consistency, but what do I know.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Great ride by Wiggins. I'd far rather be in his position where he is winning races and building confidence but then I am sure each rider knows their own body well enough to know where they need to be at certain points in the season to have a good Tour.

The thing I dont understand is that, for the sake of argument, if Evans is taking this at 80% why did he bust a gut on the attack in stage 1 to pick up 4 seconds.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Because Evans wasn't at 80%. He's not at his peak, but he's giving it his all.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    DNF-Crash / 13th / DNS / 9th / 37th / 12th / 100th / DNF - Mononucleosis / 1st / 1st

- Where the previous 10 winners of the Dauphine finished (or didn't finish) in that year's TdF
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    frosty99 wrote:

It`s the organisers who provide the skinsuit which is made by Le Coq Sportif.

Its been reported that he threw a bit of a wobbly with the race organiser. He was asked if he wanted a S or a M and when he asked for both (ie try them on - see which fitted best etc) he was told he could only have one and he was to make his choice!

He then offered to buy the other one - again told, 'one only - make your choice'.

Cheapskate, souvinir hunting, sky fanboy organisers!!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Jens is talking a big game on twitter:
    @andykloedi. No need to get afraid of Bradley after his TT. As far as i exeperienced it_ the Dauphine Winner never ever won the Tour

At least in last 10 years. If you peak for Dauphine than you are too early for the second half of " Le Tour" Believe me, seen it many times!

Yes i know about Lance, but he is just Lance, so the normal rules dont work for him. He is just in his own league.
  • Turfle
    It does seem that no matter what Wiggins did today some would spin it against him. Wins = peaking too early. Rides like Evans = peak already gone, Evans clear favourite.

I'd like to know what would have been the ideal performance from Wiggins.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Whatever happens at least Wiggins hasn't hidden away all year preparing for the Tour. Great to see him riding, and winning. It's not all about the Tour!
  • Turfle
    Yeah, even if his Tour challenge goes kaput, he'll still have had a much more successful couple of years than many of us would ever have predicted for him.