Giro Stage 15 *spoiler*

12345679»

Comments

• brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    calvjones wrote:

Why did you not record the diving afterward? Late finishes are pretty much part and parcel...

because my good lady wife has a chuffing backlog of Eastenders that she says she is going to watch on maternity leave, so I don't have enough space on the box! I have an early HD box... I've had enough and going to fork out to go multi-room to get the extra space and also allow me to watch Eurosport live instead of having Mickey Mouse on the TV.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Ouch
    giro2012_15_3.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    We need more love for Rabbotini.

Best break of the year so far.

Contender for break of the season.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    We need more love for Rabbotini.

Best break of the year so far.

Contender for break of the season.

Agreed. Nice to see success and Rabbo in the same sentence.

I don't count Gesink's win in that American Chipper.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • frenchfighter
    He is referred to as Rambo!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Niko won't be amused

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niko_Eeckhout
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    Basso talking in the third person.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/video-b ... ro-ditalia

You have to respect his professionalism and he often has good things to say.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    In the same interview session, Basso defended his team’s tactics, saying

“I’m convinced that we’re doing the right thing and I’m sure that it’ll pay by the end of the third week.
    We’re here to win the Giro and must continue the same way. People say that we show ourselves too often at the front and into the wind, but we’re riding the same as in 2010.
    Slowly but surely the GC is taking form. The fight is still open. A week full of battles lies ahead of us. The three most difficult stages are still to come and I remain very, very confident.”
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    brettjmcc wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

Why did you not record the diving afterward? Late finishes are pretty much part and parcel...

because my good lady wife has a chuffing backlog of Eastenders that she says she is going to watch on maternity leave, so I don't have enough space on the box! I have an early HD box... I've had enough and going to fork out to go multi-room to get the extra space and also allow me to watch Eurosport live instead of having Mickey Mouse on the TV.

Eastenders!? I can see the thumbprint in your forehead from here? :lol:

Strava is not Zen.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    calvjones wrote:
    brettjmcc wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

Eastenders!? I can see the thumbprint in your forehead from here? :lol:

Hold on... maternity leave? Pregnant? Sorry - suck it up my good man, and count your blessings she'll have something to watch when at home rather than get on your case.

calvjones - (mini_calv_jones_ette now 15 weeks old and counting :mrgreen: )

Strava is not Zen.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    iainf72 wrote:

Niko won't be amused

Oh god, not more! I'm gonna have to start writing these down. :cry:
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    iainf72 wrote:

Niko won't be amused

I suggest we start inventing random nicknames for riders ourselves, greased. For instance, from now on I'm going to only refer to Andy Schleck as Jake the Peg, Cadel Evans as The Rattler, Gilbert as El Rhododendron Grande and Joaquin Rodriguez as Barney Rubble.

Furthermore I'm going to start referring to races that are above chippers but below GTs as fish suppers, GTs as Zeppelins, classics as violins and monuments as symphonies. Sky are now the Sofa Boys, Astana are The Beer Bottles, Katusha The Stratocasters, Garmin Booker T and the MGs. A Podium is an Elevator, the big ring is The Shark, TTing is Wife-Swapping, Climbing is Trampolining, Sprinting is Road Painting.

None of these, of course, make any sense whatsoever, but welcome to my brand new world of deliberately obfuscatory nomenclature.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    ...the big ring is The Shark...

Ahh, no. The Shark is Nibali! See, I was paying attention. :wink:
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I think this was one of the most enjoyable GT stage results I've ever watched. When J-Rod caught Rabo I was almost moved to tears I felt so sorry for him, and then to see him catch J-Rod's wheel and then come back at him through the final corner to take the stage was just perfect. Needless to say I was screaming at the TV :)
  • knedlicky
    iainf72 wrote:
    Niko won't be amused
    I suggest we start inventing random nicknames for riders ourselves, greased. For instance, from now on I'm going to only refer to Andy Schleck as Jake the Peg, Cadel Evans as The Rattler, Gilbert as El Rhododendron Grande and Joaquin Rodriguez as Barney Rubble.
    Also, since Baden Cooke has recently said of Peter Sagan that he’s ”freakishly talented“, perhaps Sagan can now be referred to as Le Freak (c'est chic).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzRyAlhIW4M&feature=related
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    "knedlicky wrote:
    Also, since Baden Cooke has recently said of Peter Sagan that he’s ”freakishly talented“, perhaps Sagan can now be referred to as Le Freak (c'est chic).

He's already called the Terminator.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    Timoid. wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:

Not by me he isn't. I call him The Scientist.
    ...the big ring is The Shark...

Ahh, no. The Shark is Nibali! See, I was paying attention. :wink:

Ah but you see, that presupposes that the various nicknames and nomenclatures are mutually exclusive, but that would be far too simple. The Shark is both Nibs and The Big Ring.

There should be at least a bit of ambiguity if I proclaim "The Scientist is thrashing away in The Shark".

Besides, post-rationalising my random nick-naming, the big ring is The Shark because it's got lots of teeth. Does Nibs have lots of teeth? No. Not more than anyone else.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • knedlicky
    Timoid. wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:

I seem to remember Abdu was sometimes called the Terminator, so we can have two Terminators and Sagan can have two names.
    I think that will fit in well in No tA Doctor’s ideas.

Abdu actually had about 4 nicknames, because in his cycling days he was sometimes also called the Tashkent Express and the Hammer Thrower, and when he retired he went to events using the nickname “The Strongest Woman in the World (with a Beard)”!
    The latter could also be used for Gerdemann, so that Linus then has two nicknames too (the other being Fernando).

Before you say, but Abdu doesn’t race anymore, well that seems to mean little nowadays – first we had Armstrong (nickname Fishing Line) come out of retirement, supposedly Cipo (nickname not Onion as you might think, but Small Sausage) will be soon back on his bike, Ulli (nickname Vampire) would have if he could have, and I’ve even heard a rumour that Rudi Altig is coming out of retirement now that he’s just passed 75 years old – got second wind apparently.

Altig had two nicknames, Holy Rudi and The Travelling Chemist, and I imagine Riis is worthy of the second name too, as well as The Clown – this also to be used for Andy Schleck.