Giro Stage 15 *spoiler*

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Gift, for sure.

Basso looked ok to me - When he cranked it on the front the size of the group halved from when Sly was on the front.

Good stage.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    This are is Basso's back yard, or close to I think.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    And thats why Girlball will never rule.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    iainf72 wrote:
    Gift, for sure.

Really? How can you be so sure? Very subtle if you're right (to my still being educated eyes).
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    where is the bus?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    iainf72 wrote:
    Gift, for sure.

Really? How can you be so sure? Very subtle if you're right (to my still being educated eyes).

I think semi gift... little point coming over the top.... and jrod was stretched..
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Think it was somewhere in between.

Lovely move but J Rod showed a bit of class and didn't even try to come back.

Also of course J-Rod was going for max time difference, he could've comfortably won the race, but would've probably lost a couple of seconds to do it, I don't think he actually could've come back round Rabotini after he went up the inside on the corner there wasn't enough time. So it was only a gift really in the sense that J-Rod's tactics were all about maximising time over the others.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • ellerslierd
    ellerslierd Posts: 266
    So pleased for Rabottini. I thought it was a good stage, ignited by Cunego, but he just didn't have the legs. Basso and Scarponi look the most likely, depending on whether Rodriguez can be kept in check, or Hesjedal can hang on in there.

Will Katusha work now, or will they manage to force the pressure on Liquigas again?
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Gez, tough crowd. Gift? Maybe, but I think Rodriguez was more interested in time to bother contesting it. Just wasn't important enough for him. If there had been time bonuses it would have been very different.

Think people need to give Rabottini a break!
  • iainf72
    Anyone else notice at the beginning of the final climb there were 4 Liquigas guys there, as with the previous climb. But then there was suddenly only Sly and Basso. Told to sit up and roll in easier I reckon. We saw that happen in 2010 a bit.
  • greasedscotsman
    Basso and Scarponi look the most likely, depending on whether Rodriguez can be kept in check, or Hesjedal can hang on in there.

Do you not think Rodriguez is more likely winner? At the moment, I can't see Basso or Scarponi taking time from him. And Rodriguez has 1:22 on Basso and 1:36 on Scarponi, they need to take time from him.
  • mididoctors
    iainf72 wrote:
    Anyone else notice at the beginning of the final climb there were 4 Liquigas guys there, as with the previous climb. But then there was suddenly only Sly and Basso. Told to sit up and roll in easier I reckon. We saw that happen in 2010 a bit.

all part of some sort of plan eh?

better be
  • iainf72
    J-Rod will have a bad day. Especially after the cold and rain.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Proper Giro stage.

Szmyd would be a winner if he learnt to steer straight. Probably covers and extra km a stage with his weaving.

Don't think there's much between Scarpo & Basso.

Basso's a pretty team intensive rider isn't he?
  • mididoctors
    Basso and Scarponi look the most likely, depending on whether Rodriguez can be kept in check, or Hesjedal can hang on in there.

Do you not think Rodriguez is more likely winner? At the moment, I can't see Basso or Scarponi taking time from him. And Rodriguez has 1:22 on Basso and 1:36 on Scarponi, they need to take time from him.

going to be hard... you can see jrod mugging them every other day in the hills for 20-45 secs and how much can even he lose in a 30k TT?

he could have a bad day... he is known for it.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    boring stage until the last 2 miles. Basso's paid tempo setter hardly animates the finale..just hard enough tempo to deter attacks and more than enough negative tempo to make it tedious to watch. Would have preferred GC rider attacks to Schmidt spinning little gears on the front that looked the part but infact you could see 30 riders could clearly hold onto Sylvester's tempo despite the impression of speed given.
  • mididoctors
    iainf72 wrote:

not a good position to be in relying on that thou

basso needs to come real good on one of the last 2 stages... hmmm
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:

not a good position to be in relying on that thou

basso needs to come real good on one of the last 2 stages... hmmm

He can make a bit on the TT.
  • iainf72
    Sure, they could hold his tempo, but as soon as Basso increased it slightly, half of them disappeared. Race of attrition.
  • greasedscotsman
    going to be hard... you can see jrod mugging them every other day in the hills for 20-45 secs and how much can even he lose in a 30k TT?

Yeah, I kinda forgot the TT. Think that could be his biggest problem for him, rather than having a bad day. So does that make Basso the favourite? With all of the top 8 within 2 minutes at the mo, could be anyone!
  • rick_chasey

Yeah, I kinda forgot the TT. Think that could be his biggest problem for him, rather than having a bad day. So does that make Basso the favourite? With all of the top 8 within 2 minutes at the mo, could be anyone!

Bookies have had Basso as #1 since the prologue, though Scarpo was favourite before a pedal was turned.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    All it takes is for a puncture on a climb and it'll ruin anyone's chances.
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Szmyd would be a winner if he learnt to steer straight.

Fell on the floor. Hilarious.
  • greasedscotsman
    Just looked back at the prologue times and Rodriguez only lost 4 seconds to Basso. So over a 30km TT, that works out to about 14secs. Not much. And yes, I know that was over 2 weeks ago and was right at the start, not after 3 weeks of racing, etc. Still, if I was Basso, I'd want to be a bit closer to Rodriguez going into that TT.
  • greasedscotsman
    All it takes is for a puncture on a climb and it'll ruin anyone's chances.

Or a crash on a descent.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Weather's even crapper than it is here!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    & Schleck bails out! (Probably somewhere on the previous 7 pages of this thread! :wink: )
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/frank-s ... ro-ditalia
    "...and will now focus all his attention on his Tour de France preparations."
    I'd have thought that racing the Giro, would count as doing this?
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • mididoctors
    Mulling it over its still pretty open.
  • iainf72
    Basso won't leave it til the TT. Todays' finish was a 2nd cat climb with some nasty steep bits. Suits J-Rod, but when you get to the Dolomites it will be a different story.

Grand Tours are about recovering, so Liquigas keep it tough, everyone get shattered, some recover better than others.

Little Boots also recovers well.
  • kanto
    kanto Posts: 112
    edited May 2012
    & Schleck bails out! (Probably somewhere on the previous 7 pages of this thread! :wink: )
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/frank-s ... ro-ditalia
    "...and will now focus all his attention on his Tour de France preparations."
    I'd have thought that racing the Giro, would count as doing this?

There are a lot of people complaining about sprinters and Cav on this forum; but in my opinion riders like Schleck(s) are harming the sport even more, and not at all attractive for the sport to see people only ride for one race. Nothing worse than a rider who soft-pedals the whole year other than during TDF; as for most rides you need serious preparation. Not everyone can be like Contador and go for the win in every race they enter, but I find the Schleck's mentality disrespectful to the sport. Cycling is so much more than the TDF.