Giro Stage 15 *spoiler*

Comments

• timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    iainf72 wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

Basso looks past it. I think he'll be the one to crack on the Stelvio.

You've noticed he's 3rd in the GC, right?

But never looks threatening. He's like a better looking Bottle.

He'll have a bad day and that will be that.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Timoid. wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

You've noticed he's 3rd in the GC, right?

Oooph. Cutting. That's gotta hurt Iain.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Timoid. wrote:
    Dunno why everyone is saying Basso and Scarponi are going to duke it out for the win. Rodriguez is the man in form and if he can hang in there Hesjedal is by far and away the best TTer.

As I said earlier, we don't really know how good Basso's form is, but judging by today he's at least as good as Scarponi. Remember the Zoncolan in 2010, if Basso has anything close to the form he had that year then he will be in his element on the Stelvio.

I love J Rod and would like to see him win, but he always seems to have a bad day in the mountains. Last year at the Vuelta he was killing everybody on the short steep stuff then got distanced on the longer climbs by Wiggins and Froome (read Basso/Scarponi). Neither Basso or Scarponi are great TTers, but J Rod is blooming awful so think he'll need a couple of minutes lead going into the final TT to be confident of holding on. In the TT Hesjedal will be the biggest threat, but I think he'll get distanced in the mountains before that, if he can limit his losses and still ride a good TT then a podium is possible.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Timoid. wrote:

So when he took over from Sly and dropped half the group in a few seconds, that's not threatening? I'm not saying he may not have a bad day, but his tactic [tm Sean Kelly] is going to be to knacker everyone out over 3 weeks and do one big push next Friday or Saturday.

When I look at J-Rod, I don't see a guy who can win overall.

Interesting reading Inrng's pre-stage analysis

It looks more like a day for Pozzovivo, Rodriguez or Rujano and maybe even Cunego. It’s certainly a day when the pure climbers will want to pinch a few seconds over the likes of Basso and Hesjedal, knowing they could lose a minute in the final time trial in one week’s time. But there’s a good chance of a breakaway and there are many local riders (including Marco Pinotti) who might fancy their chance on the local roads, indeed today’s stage is not far from the Lampre team’s HQ.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • timoid.
    But Italian climbs remain just that little bit steeper, which suits Rodriguez.

I just don't think Basso or Scarponi look that good at the moment. Scarponi's little dig and Rodriguez' response where he went past him like he had borrowed Spartacus' bike made me think that he's not up to it and Basso was just clinging on to Scarponi's coat tails.

A Basso of 2010 will kill them all in the coming week, but that Basso isn't around any more. He's now 34 and I think his prime is gone.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Timoid. wrote:
    A Basso of 2010 will kill them all in the coming week, but that Basso isn't around any more. He's now 34 and I think his prime is gone.

:(
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    Timoid. wrote:

brave punditry there

I woudn't like to say... but I have that suspicion as well.... I think he won't crack ao much as just not being apply to raise the tempo enough... same for scarponi ?

they will win it by virtue of Jrod cracking.. if jrod doesn't have a bad day?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • iainf72
    But they look better than anyone else, aside from J-Rod, on climbs that suit him.

I don't think he's far off a 2010 Basso. I remember in 2010 before the final week people were referring to Basso as an "oaf" and "bozzo" and said Liqui should've been riding for the shark.
  • timoid.
    iainf72 wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

So when he took over from Sly and dropped half the group in a few seconds, that's not threatening? I'm not saying he may not have a bad day, but his tactic [tm Sean Kelly] is going to be to knacker everyone out over 3 weeks and do one big push next Friday or Saturday.

When I look at J-Rod, I don't see a guy who can win overall.

Interesting reading Inrng's pre-stage analysis

It looks more like a day for Pozzovivo, Rodriguez or Rujano and maybe even Cunego. It’s certainly a day when the pure climbers will want to pinch a few seconds over the likes of Basso and Hesjedal, knowing they could lose a minute in the final time trial in one week’s time. But there’s a good chance of a breakaway and there are many local riders (including Marco Pinotti) who might fancy their chance on the local roads, indeed today’s stage is not far from the Lampre team’s HQ.

Who did he drop though? The only A-List guys there are Scarponi, who immediately attacked him and Rodriguez who sailed away.

The likes of Nibali would eat these guys as probably would Cuddles and definitely the skinny Schleck if he could be Rsed.

Maybe I'll eat my words this week, but Basso look more like an old rider than the rider of old.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    iainf72 wrote:
    ...riding for the shark.

Who's the shark? Why can't you just use people's names?
  • TMR
    I like Ivan. He's well placed and has been consistent. That is the approach required to win a GT. I hope he does it. Just for the record.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:
    ...riding for the shark.

Because I'm trying to show I'm cooler than you. Obviously.

Nibali.
  • timoid.
    iainf72 wrote:
    ...riding for the shark.

Omerta.

[spitting in the soup] The Shark is Nibali. [\spitting in the soup]
  • greasedscotsman
    iainf72 wrote:
    Because I'm trying to show I'm cooler than you. Obviously.

You can have that one, I gave up trying to be cool a long time ago!
  • greasedscotsman
    I like Ivan. He's well placed and has been consistent. That is the approach required to win a GT. I hope he does it. Just for the record.

You mean the DULL way to win a GT.
  • iainf72
    Timoid. wrote:

Who did he drop though? The only A-List guys there are Scarponi, who immediately attacked him and Rodriguez who sailed away.

The likes of Nibali would eat these guys as probably would Cuddles and definitely the skinny Schleck if he could be Rsed.

Maybe I'll eat my words this week, but Basso look more like an old rider than the rider of old.

2010 Basso wouldn't have kept up with J-Rod today. He's never been able to respond to those kind of attacks.

J-Rod, Basso and Scarponi look like the guys with best form. Everyone else is too inconsistent to win. I think J-Rod is the likely candidate to have a bad day next week and dump a few minutes.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

Yes, because the 2010 Giro was rubbish wasn't it.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • greasedscotsman
    Nobody think Tiralongo and/or Kreuziger can do anything? Only team with two riders in the top 10 and the rest of the team looks strong.
  • rick_chasey
    Nobody think Tiralongo and/or Kreuziger can do anything? Only team with two riders in the top 10 and the rest of the team looks strong.

No.

Kreuzinger is all talent, no trousers.

Tiralongo isn't good enough when it gets very high.
  • timoid.
    iainf72 wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

2010 Basso wouldn't have kept up with J-Rod today. He's never been able to respond to those kind of attacks.

J-Rod, Basso and Scarponi look like the guys with best form. Everyone else is too inconsistent to win. I think J-Rod is the likely candidate to have a bad day next week and dump a few minutes.

Let's settle this like gentlemen.

If JRod finishes ahead of Basso, you change your sig to say "Timoid knows way more about cycling than me, I bow to his superior knowledge" until the end of the Tour de France.

If Basso finishes ahead of JRod, I'll change my sig to say "Iainf72 knows way more about cycling than me, I bow to his superior knowledge" until the end of the Tour de France.

Deal?
  • rick_chasey
    :D.
  • greasedscotsman
    Yes, because the 2010 Giro was rubbish wasn't it.

You don't like crazee attacks then?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    Timoid. wrote:
    z.

I just don't think Basso or Scarponi look that good at the moment. Scarponi's little dig and Rodriguez' response where he went past him like he had borrowed Spartacus' bike made me think that he's not up to it and Basso was just clinging on to Scarponi's coat tails.

in basso's defence he has a history of not showing his hand until it really matters
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • greasedscotsman
    No.

Blimey, you could have given me a "maybe".
  • iainf72
    Timoid. wrote:

If JRod finishes ahead of Basso, you change your sig to say "Timoid knows way more about cycling than me, I bow to his superior knowledge" until the end of the Tour de France.

If Basso finishes ahead of JRod, I'll change my sig to say "Iainf72 knows way more about cycling than me, I bow to his superior knowledge" until the end of the Tour de France.

Deal?

I'd be happy with this deal if you posted more than twice a month. For you there would be hardly any shame involved, but there would be a great deal for me.

But I'm happy to do this, so, deal.
  • rick_chasey
    No.

Blimey, you could have given me a "maybe".

Sunday night. Work tomorrow - am not in a good mood :P.
  • TMR
    edited May 2012

It worked for Armstrong :P *

*Edit: Being consistent I mean - not that he didn't attack :)
  • TMR
    Sunday night. Work tomorrow - am not in a good mood :P.

Cuddle? :(
  • timoid.
    iainf72 wrote:

I'd be happy with this deal if you posted more than twice a month. For you there would be hardly any shame involved, but there would be a great deal for me.

But I'm happy to do this, so, deal.

Good to see you have the cojones for this.

I promise to post lots more when you update the sig line. :D . Will even quote your posts for effect :wink:
  • greasedscotsman

It worked for Armstrong :P

Oh right. In that case, Go Basso!

No, wait. What was his nickname, want to look "cool".

Go Chipmunk!