Giro Stage 15 *spoiler*

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited May 2012 in Pro race
Tipping it down

Same tactic as yesterday except Liquigas will opened a can of destruction for real on the final climb
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    iainf72 wrote:
    Same tactic as yesterday except Liquigas will opened a can of destruction for real on the final climb

As long as they don't leave the tin opener in the team car.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    thought they left basso a bit early yesterday actually. We may see Astana do the 1-2 instead

Strava is not Zen.
  • iainf72
    calvjones wrote:
    thought they left basso a bit early yesterday actually. We may see Astana do the 1-2 instead

I think the climb was too long and it left them exposed.

Here's Ricco's twitter with a picture for everyone's amusement

http://twitter.com/#!/riccardo_ricco/st ... 0192537601
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    calvjones wrote:
    thought they left basso a bit early yesterday actually
    Yes, and alone he looks very susceptible. His pre-Giro results don't indicate he has the form.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Different kind of day today, more climbs but they are shorter and a bit steeper.

Liquigas definitely miscalculated a bit yesterday, Basso suddenly looked very lonely on the front before sheepishly merging back into the group, he'll have to take the initiative at some point or he risks getting put in trouble by accelerations from guys like Pozzovivo and J Rod.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • iainf72
    knedlicky wrote:
    calvjones wrote:
    thought they left basso a bit early yesterday actually
    Yes, and alone he looks very susceptible. His pre-Giro results don't indicate he has the form.

Did he? He can't accelerate with the guys with a kick, but he came back to them without any problems. A Basso in good shape (which I think he is) will be stronger than most towards the end of next week.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Why don't Lampre's bikes match their kit?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    The problem with Basso is that we rarely get any clue to his form before the big races as he rarely shows anything in the warm up races other than usually getting dropped. I still have no idea whether he really has the legs to win. He looks lean and certainly know how to win a GT, but we won't really know until he either gets dropped, or drops everybody.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Hav they left? I wondered if the earthquake, although quite a way away, might have altered today's plans.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Jeremy Hunt a non-starter. Weather like yesterday, rain at start and only 14 deg C.
    After 18-20 km, Bonnafond und Rabottini 1-50 ahead of the peloton.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Huh? Thought I just posted something but seems to have dissappeared.

Anyway, Scarps and Pozz to give it big guns today. Time to make up and I reckon both will have been targeting this stage.
  • Neil McC
    Neil McC Posts: 625
    Schleck abandons?
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Neil McC wrote:
    Schleck abandons?

Yup - both Franck Schleck and Graeme Brown have retired

Edit - and now Visconti has gone and they haven't even hit the first big climb yet
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    knedlicky wrote:
    Jeremy Hunt a non-starter.

Off to be a dad apparently if you read G's twitter
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    RAI Sport live coverage is up - the weather at the finish is foul. They've just shown their commentators - wrapped up in anoraks (fashionable, of course) and scarves while inside the commentary booth
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Neil McC wrote:
    Schleck abandons?

Pathetic.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,863
    Neil McC wrote:
    Schleck abandons?

Pathetic.

tad harsh I think... I think morale is low at the shack
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • greasedscotsman
    As much as I like Basso, I hope he doesn't win if he continues with the same tactics.

"As a team, we took the reins of the race so that we could control any attacks," Basso said. "Ours was a strategy of containment, albeit a sustained rhythm."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/basso-c ... ro-ditalia

Containment? Doesn't sound very exciting. I want to see some crazee attacks!
  • greasedscotsman
    edited May 2012
    Why don't Lampre's bikes match their kit?

They should be fined a few minutes for that! :wink:

And Cavendish should be thrown off the race for his non matching kit!

giro_ditalia640_640.jpg
  • greasedscotsman
    Neil McC wrote:
    Schleck abandons?

Pathetic.

And remember, he wasn't even down to ride this race.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I was hoping F. Schleck would ruin his form for the TDF in the next week so his brother could get a clear shot at it. I expect Mr Riis is quietly feeling happy at Schrek's mood being a bit like the Mountain weather.
    Question- Why is Cav still there? He's got a busy summer ahead (if this question has been answered then sorry abou that)
    -jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • mididoctors
    I see the hog is in italy?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Neil McC wrote:
    Schleck abandons?

Pathetic.

Oh come on guys. This is Mr TdF Podium here, not Tyler Farrar. No disrespect to any of you, but it is pathetic he's gone home. Why not make best use of it as a competitive training opportunity?
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Neil McC wrote:
    Schleck abandons?

Pathetic.

Oh come on guys. This is Mr TdF Podium here, not Tyler Farrar. No disrespect to any of you, but it is pathetic he's gone home. Why not make best use of it as a competitive training opportunity?

I am increasingly less interested in being fair to the Schlecks, but if he did, as I read in, I think, his tweets, dislocate his shoulder in Stage 11 then abandoning later doesn't seem unreasonable. My shoulder used to dislocate and the pain when it was out was so bad as to make me faint and even once it's relocated there continues to be signifcant pain because of all the ligaments, tendons, etc being so twisted out of position.
  • mididoctors
    Neil McC wrote:
    Schleck abandons?

Pathetic.

I don't know

never been in that position... bailing out of a GT I mean.
  • mididoctors
    grps trying to ride away on the valcava
  • greasedscotsman

Cos it's cold and wet out there. :(
  • ellerslierd
    ellerslierd Posts: 266
    Rabottini alone up the road with 5'20" to chase group (Pinotti, sella, txurruka, bruseghin, golas & losada Alguchil) and 6'15" to the Maglia Rosa.

Bonnafond 1'40" behind rabottini

Flecha dropped from chase group
  • ellerslierd
    ellerslierd Posts: 266
    Rabottini crosses the GPM
  • mididoctors
    the bunch is pretty slimmed down from the overheads.... 60 max?