Tour of Cali

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    FFS.

Can all organisers of all sports BAN anyone from the podium who isn't either receiving a trophy or there under official capacity.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Gesink's daughter
    Getty

What, Gesink's daughter is called Getty?
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    FFS.

Can all organisers of all sports BAN anyone from the podium who isn't either receiving a trophy or there under official capacity.

And I thought I was a grumpy old sod! ;)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Blimey
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Even with a great leadout for Boonen.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    edited September 2015
    Decent bike ridden by Gesink.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    edited September 2015
    Close one.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    Tour of Oman is better value.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133

That's it, keep stirring. :D
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Those back streets look really nice in Los Angeles 8) - I thought the tour down under was dull, but this win's hands down.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Sagan edges Booned for his 5th (?) win!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Will miss Tony Blackburn's commentary (robbie hatch) the only guy who makes place names and riders spanishy - italiany sounding
  • greasedscotsman

Tour Series is FAR better than both, surely?
  • rick_chasey
    Can we read much into this race re-form for Gesink?
  • frenchfighter
    edited September 2015
    There is another one for you Rick; podium time.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    :| .
  • frenchfighter
    edited September 2015
    Cali
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

I hope so, it would make the Tour more interesting. On his day he can TT well (though he's inconsistent) so in theory he'd need to gain less time on Wiggins/Evans/Menchov in the mountains to become a danger than Schleck would have to.

The field here was hardly stellar though so his performance at the Dauphine or Tour de Suisse will be far more relevant. Dropping Dave Zabriskie and an out of form Leipheimer is one thing, dropping Evans, Wiggins, Schleck and Nibali will be quite another.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    4825fdf0a2fa11e19894123138140d8c_7.jpg
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134

I hope so, it would make the Tour more interesting. On his day he can TT well (though he's inconsistent) so in theory he'd need to gain less time on Wiggins/Evans/Menchov in the mountains to become a danger than Schleck would have to.

The field here was hardly stellar though so his performance at the Dauphine or Tour de Suisse will be far more relevant. Dropping Dave Zabriskie and an out of form Leipheimer is one thing, dropping Evans, Wiggins, Schleck and Nibali will be quite another.

I quite like Gesink - was impressed by his TT and expected him to attack on the penultimate stage. I guess he got the stage win and the overall, but - he looked to be blowing by the top of the climb. Took him forever to reel in the lone breakaway ahead and he put very limited time into the likes of Zabriskie, Van Garderen, Danielson, Horner etc. And its a chipper. He'll need to ride a lot better to win anything in July.
  • frenchfighter
    Cipo advertising the ToC...................

406466_10150590216237428_150147152427_9539723_594088676_n.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    8 days of Epic?

Haaa.
  • inkyfingers
    8 days of Epic?

Haaa.

"1 day of quite good racing" wouldn't have quite the same ring to it though!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • greasedscotsman
    "1 day of quite good racing" wouldn't have quite the same ring to it though!

With a picture of one of these instead of Cipollini!

Chipper%20002.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Road cycling, as we know it, is tailored to European roads. European roads make for good racing.

ToC will always be a bit of a chipper because American roads don't lend themselves that well to good racing.

Similarly Strada Bianchi will soon become a World Tour race, because the roads make it a good race.
  • inkyfingers

Road cycling, as we know it, is tailored to European roads. European roads make for good racing.

ToC will always be a bit of a chipper because American roads don't lend themselves that well to good racing.

Similarly Strada Bianchi will soon become a World Tour race, because the roads make it a good race.

The other problem is that due to the compact nature of Europe and its higher population density the good roads also tend to be fairly accessible from major population and transport centres. I'm sure that Alaska and the Rockies must have some epic racing roads that they can use, but if nobody can get there easily then you'd end up with a race with nobody watching.
  • rick_chasey

The other problem is that due to the compact nature of Europe and its higher population density the good roads also tend to be fairly accessible from major population and transport centres. I'm sure that Alaska and the Rockies must have some epic racing roads that they can use, but if nobody can get there easily then you'd end up with a race with nobody watching.

Never stopped the Vuelta.
  • inkyfingers

It might do if the Spanish economy keeps going the way it is.
  • rick_chasey

It might do if the Spanish economy keeps going the way it is.

That's a different conversation but if the Grexit is quick and messy it'll be carnage all over Europe.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630

I think you could do a pretty good world championship course on those rolly-polly roads. Up and down for 7 hours - last guy not to get seasick wins the rainbow bands.