Tour of Cali

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Are they using a cheap HD version at the Giro ??? - The picture on HD from california is Crystal Clear.....watching the giro it's as if they are using a camcorder :D

There is no HD at the Giro.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    There is a "Slight" picture difference from my ordinary British eurosport to the HD version.....tho i agree it's not a patch on this race coverage...begs the question why is the 2nd biggest race in the world not in HD...has it not yet reached Italy ? :D
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Please, please, please can the AG2R rider win!
  • Gazzetta67
    Brian Smith doing his best to upset the head honcho's at Eurosport and saying the TOC's "Bubble has Burst" in favour of the Giro :D ....eh whats on the other side where is that remote.
  • greasedscotsman
    Please, please, please can the AG2R rider win!

Oh wait, didn't know that Sebastien Hinault won stage 3 of the Circuit de Lorraines. Don't care now...
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    edited May 2012
    I know they've already had a win today, but I really do hope he hangs on. Surely 2 mins with 4k to go can't be caught.

It's the most exciting thing that's happened the whole race.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    edited May 2012
    hammerite wrote:
    I know they've already had a win today, but I really do hope he hangs on. Surely 2 mins with 4k to go can't be caught.

Me too. I fear heartbreak though.

Come on!!!!
  • hammerite
    Is it just me? When Bri Smithy says his name he sounds like a politician - Selwyn George.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    That was great.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    You wait all year for a bus...
  • greasedscotsman
    Excellent win for Sylvain Georges! Fail by Sébastian Salas.
  • Gazzetta67
    Chapeau that Man - Great Ride
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    So Sagan takes second instead. Jeez.

Good ride from the Frenchie.
  • hammerite
    Good man.
  • DeadCalm
    Wohoo!!!

Gadret for the hat trick tomorrow?
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    My god he killed himself there. Chapeau.
  • DeadCalm
    My god he killed himself there. Chapeau.

Comes across as a really amusing character too.

Will be interesting to see how much coverage he gets here in France for that win. The impression so far has been that the French think of this race as 'comme un pomme-frite' but we'll see.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    This AG2R domination is starting to look suspicious.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Brian Smith doing his best to upset the head honcho's at Eurosport and saying the TOC's "Bubble has Burst" in favour of the Giro :D ....eh whats on the other side where is that remote.
    He's not wrong. Field quality is definitely heading in the wrong direction.
    While Big Bear isn't exactly conducive towards attacking riding from the bunch, I really enjoyed the final 20 odd kms of the chase.
    Chapeau Monsieur Georges. Abandon by "Super tactics" Salas, that was one tough solo ride.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    edited May 2012
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    He's not wrong. Field quality is definitely heading in the wrong direction.
    While Big Bear isn't exactly conducive towards attacking riding from the bunch, I really enjoyed the final 20 odd kms of the chase.
    Chapeau Monsieur Georges. Abandon by "Super tactics" Salas, that was one tough solo ride.

+1

getting into ToLKW territory field quality wise...

And I like the race.. scenery and the different nature of the courses with their rolly poley roads and that.

but the us conti teams?.. half the peloton gets dropped early in the stage and then sagan wins the sprint.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Can see why team type 2 or whatever they're called were annoyed. We forget how far ahead these world tour teams are.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Can see why team type 2 or whatever they're called were annoyed. We forget how far ahead these world tour teams are.

And their bus crashed into a moose a couple of days ago
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Moomaloid
    Its a poor poor race this year. But i don't think the territory helps. Wide open plains of rolling road is never gonna make for great racing. The 'mountains' have what look like freeways running up the side of them that go on forever. No dramatic changes of gradient or switchbacks to assist in exciting the racing. (Similar to the climb in the giro today). Also the field of riders is pretty low on talent this year and some of the 'stars' are riding below par. UNLESS, Sagen is just in stunning form. I don't wanna take anything away from him, coz he has been impressive... but...

Maybe i'm just annoyed with myself for staying up each night to watch thinking... today has got to be better than yesterday.... nope. :|
  • greasedscotsman
    Moomaloid wrote:
    Maybe i'm just annoyed with myself for staying up each night to watch thinking... today has got to be better than yesterday.... nope. :|

Ahh, just wait, today's stage is gonna be great! :D

(might not be totally correct...)
  • mididoctors
    Moomaloid wrote:
    Its a poor poor race this year. But i don't think the territory helps. Wide open plains of rolling road is never gonna make for great racing. The 'mountains' have what look like freeways running up the side of them that go on forever. No dramatic changes of gradient or switchbacks to assist in exciting the racing. (Similar to the climb in the giro today). Also the field of riders is pretty low on talent this year and some of the 'stars' are riding below par. UNLESS, Sagen is just in stunning form. I don't wanna take anything away from him, coz he has been impressive... but...

if there was a few more decent squads LIQ + GRM would of had a harder time pulling it back everyday... the course is odd but not easy as it looks... I bet those rolling roads in the heat grind you down
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132

A comment in The Asylum described the field as "America's best shop mechanics"
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • mididoctors
    LangerDan wrote:

A comment in The Asylum described the field as "America's best shop mechanics"

I thought the us squads may have come on a bit more

I suppose UHC have a rider or 2 and Livestrong make the "cut" everyday... smattering of something but pretty p1$$ poor showing.
  • Moomaloid
    Oh i'd never ever say they were easy, far from it. But if you are designing a parcours, especially as an advert for US cycling, then surely you'd want a route that makes for more exciting racing? Even the circuits through the cities and towns have been a bit dull. I find a bit more surprising because it is well known that American viewers like their sports to be action filled and 'high scoring', so i would've expected some shorter, more 'impact' stages. But, i guess also its a huge state and these cities are paying good money for the stage starts and finishes, so they have to get between each....
  • mididoctors
    Moomaloid wrote:
    Oh i'd never ever say they were easy, far from it. But if you are designing a parcours, especially as an advert for US cycling, then surely you'd want a route that makes for more exciting racing? Even the circuits through the cities and towns have been a bit dull. I find a bit more surprising because it is well known that American viewers like their sports to be action filled and 'high scoring', so i would've expected some shorter, more 'impact' stages. But, i guess also its a huge state and these cities are paying good money for the stage starts and finishes, so they have to get between each....

I think the aesthetics of the race will be different over there..... I think we have to teach ourselves to appreciate the nature of the roads out there... that bear lake road is a real grind to high altitude, perhaps one problem is the course is too hard for the lesser squads to stay in! but just looks unspectacular as entire teams are just ridden of the wheel at 23kph