Paris - Roubaix *spoiler*

Comments

• Fastlad
    Fastlad Posts: 908
    Why on earth didn't anyone close down Boonen's attack? Was he that strong? seriously!!!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Wow Mary poppins on BBC1 too - my weekend is complete! ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Fastlad wrote:
    Why on earth didn't anyone close down Boonen's attack? Was he that strong? seriously!!!

Apparently Sky sent their 4 "Schoolboys" after him - the term P*ssing against the wind springs to mind :mrgreen:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Fastlad wrote:

Pretty much.

Sky could have done a bit better, but winning with 100seconds spare after 50km solo is pretty special.
  • ddraver wrote:
    Wow Mary poppins on BBC1 too - my weekend is complete! ;)

I'm glad you posted that 1st
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Why weren't they taking turns - or even setting up a chain gang? Not on the cobbles, but on the flats?

Presumably because their riders didn't have the legs to do any more, taking turns would've just left them wide open once the guys behind countered if they even got the gap down. If Flecha had been doing turns, there'd've been no chance of him going with Ballan and Boom when they attacked, EBH was too knackered to do anything at all, Hayman and Stannard gave everything they had, perhaps they could've shared a bit of work, but it wouldn't've made a jot of difference.

If no other team would help pull Boonen back, there wasn't anything else they could, they rode well. Until Flecha mucked around with Ballan and Boom enough for Terpstra and Turgot to catch up. He probably should've ensured the 3 of them made it to the line, but that's a relatively minor error and not a team one - unless they failed to give accurate info on where the chasers were.

Criticising a team for not being strong enough to catch Boonen is fair enough, they weren't strong enough. But criticising their tactics when they managed to place 4 in the top 20 in the decisive break and then actually attempted to ride for the win rather than simply all sit on and then contest for 2nd which they could've done if they were really simply racing for a podium spot.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • ddraver
    edited April 2012
    I was watching the kids at our Club Champs today and when one of the good guys broke away, they were all on him/her immediately. Now, if they to do it, why not Team Sky?

OT - If Tommeke is my new man crush, Laura Trott has just become my celeb crush!
    jibberjim wrote:
    they managed to place 4 in the top 20 in the decisive break and then actually attempted to ride for the win rather than simply all sit on and then contest for 2nd which they could've done if they were really simply racing for a podium spot.

Maybe we re just disagreeing again, but is nt second better than that?
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    edited April 2012
    Double post fail, this La Chouffre is sliding down nicely... :oops:
    - @ddraver
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,173
    Great ride from Tommeke - well deserved, especially from 50+km out. Not sure why all the others just 'watched and let him go'. If it had been Cancellara - I'm sure he'd have been marked straight away.
    Sometimes, tactics in cycling are 'baffling'.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • jibberjim
    ddraver wrote:
    I was watching the kids at our Club Champs today and when one of the good guys broke away, they were all on him/her immediately. Now, if they to do it, why not Team Sky?

Indeed, it's amazing these pro teams keep letting riders get away, Boonen, Pozzato and Ballan last week, Cancellara in all sorts of races they just seem to be let ride away from the front of the race. How can they not know - it's obvious! Just get on their wheel!
  • ddraver
    Merged the sky-are-rubbish thread into this one to save people getting 'spoiled'...

Sir Sir, it's back Sir it's back - viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12846554 :wink:
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    jibberjim wrote:

Criticising a team for not being strong enough to catch Boonen is fair enough, they weren't strong enough. But criticising their tactics when they managed to place 4 in the top 20 in the decisive break and then actually attempted to ride for the win rather than simply all sit on and then contest for 2nd which they could've done if they were really simply racing for a podium spot.

My point was more that, they way they did it was a little pointless - spending energy inefficiently. If you're going to do it, do it properly. 1 man who's been dropped before leading out for 10km against Boonen is not going to do it.

You've got to think, 50km to go the favourite on his own with only one teammate in your group, who's spent anyway, you have 4 - there's got be chance.

Now sure, Boonen was beyond special today, so if they'd ridden properly they wouldn't have got him anyway, but the point remains it was weird the way they did it.

Anyway, we all know good legs can humilate rival DS's.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Fastlad wrote:

Did you see how Terpstra blew up on his wheel? Tactical move or not, he was blowing hard.

The Sky thing is a none starter. Boasson Hagen didn't see the front during the entire chase. Nor did Flecha other than when he attacked. They were riding a stage of a grand Tour. The moment they decided to do that, everything else becomes irrelevant.

If they were riding a classic then all four would have chipped in. The game of 'let's reel in the break' end's at 80km to go in a one day classic.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Sky didn't help themselves by putting one man on the front for 10km, followed by another, followed by a little Flecha attack.

Why weren't they taking turns - or even setting up a chain gang? Not on the cobbles, but on the flats?

Exactly, sky had four men, but they didn't seem to want to work together. Fletcha's attack was pointless.

Still haven't changed my opinion of sky, lots of domestiques, a lack of top riders. This should change come sprint stages in major tours though.

Still my opinion of sky is that they often do a lot of work, and rarely have anything to show for it!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    Sky didn't help themselves by putting one man on the front for 10km, followed by another, followed by a little Flecha attack.

Perhaps they thought they should ride it like a team sprint and that the first to go (Stannard wasn't it?) would be able to ride Boonen down on his own, so leaving the others with fresh enough legs to take on the rest. :lol:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ddraver wrote:

Because it was 55km from the finish and it looked like a crazy move. As did most posters on this thread at the time. Everyone underestimated Boonen.

Tactics decided on after the race has finished are always the best and most useless.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jibberjim
    Now sure, Boonen was beyond special today, so if they'd ridden properly they wouldn't have got him anyway, but the point remains it was weird the way they did it.

But they didn't have the legs, and couldn't all commit as they would've all been dropped on a counter, so Flecha had to not work to cover the counters - he obviously tried to split the group to get the group smaller so the stronger ones in it would work, he failed, but it was an attempt. EBH obviously had no legs to even ride on the front as he was dropped the first time the pace went up on the cobbles. So there wasn't another choice that wouldn't've left people even more complaining as they all got dropped when Boom attacked.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Because it was 55km from the finish and it looked like a crazy move. As did most posters on this thread at the time. Everyone underestimated Boonen.

Tactics decided on after the race has finished are always the best and most useless.

Indeed.
  • ddraver
    jibberjim wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Indeed, it's amazing these pro teams keep letting riders get away, Boonen, Pozzato and Ballan last week, Cancellara in all sorts of races they just seem to be let ride away from the front of the race. How can they not know - it's obvious! Just get on their wheel!

I sense you re being sarcastic, but yes.... 4 against 1 again....

Someone has said this already, but they can't keep letting the Domestiques do all the work, especially one that's ridden his legs off to get back to the group (and fair play to Ian btw!). In these races, the whole team, "protected rider" included, have to work to bring those breaks back, IMMEDIATELY, not when he's got 30 seconds, Immediately.

It was a great ride from Boonen, but that's not an excuse for Sky!
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    RichN95 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Indeed.

Fair enough Rich, but this was'nt just anyone, this was the overwhelming favourite....
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    ddraver wrote:
    jibberjim wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

I sense you re being sarcastic, but yes.... 4 against 1 again....

Someone has said this already, but they can't keep letting the Domestiques do all the work, especially one that's ridden his legs off to get back to the group (and fair play to Ian btw!). In these races, the whole team, "protected rider" included, have to work to bring those breaks back, IMMEDIATELY, not when he's got 30 seconds, Immediately.

It was a great ride from Boonen, but that's not an excuse for Sky!

So you don't think letting the race favourite, on what looks like a suicide attack, a man with the best sprint in the leading group, dangle a bit on his own 30s out is a good idea? If you think you're going to catch him anyway then why not let him burn out first?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ddraver wrote:

Fair enough Rich, but this was'nt just anyone, this was the overwhelming favourite....

Have at look at page 3 of this thread:

SH!TTING THE BED
    QS move looks crazy to me!
    LMAO 50KM solo.
    dropping your own domestique doesn't seem smart
    Bit early for a solo.....
    Iam not sure boonen can do this.
    Boonen will blow himself out.
    Whata ta fucka are you doinga?

Only disgruntledgoat had faith in Boonen. Now after the race is finished everyone's an expert and Sky are idiots for thinking exactly the same as everyone else did.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    ddraver wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Indeed.

Yes, but it wasn't Cancellara, who wins from solo 50km out. It was Boonen, who forces selections then beats the last few riders in the sprint.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    RichN95 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Indeed, but most peoples assessment on the craziness of the move would presumably be based partly on the apparent strength of the chasing group.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,383
    r0bh wrote:
    You can't criticise Sky too much. EBH is always cooked over 200km, Flecha was never going to win with a damaged hand. I think Rabo sitting in with 2 riders deserve more scorn. All that said, Boonen is just awesome, only Fab could have stopped that.

I agree. The continual Sky bashing on this forum is incredibly tedious. They tried to pull back Boonen, and sure they didn't have the legs. But at least they tried which is more than you can say about any of the other riders in the group.

With 4 in the group it was up to Sky to chase Boonen down.

Sure I agree, but when it was clear the gap wasn't coming down shouldn't some of the other riders in the break have decided to chip in? They didn't so everyone was riding for 2nd place
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

SH!TTING THE BED
    LMAO 50KM solo.

Only disgruntledgoat had faith in Boonen. Now after the race is finished everyone's an expert and Sky are idiots for thinking exactly the same as everyone else did.

C'mon Rich, this is a forum eh?

The fun bit is being the all seeing DS afterwards.

Whatever the tactics, sky didn't turn as they should have.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    I am sure Dave B and the lads will be touched by all the concern shown on here.

I assumed the forum would be happy. Strongest rider won and all that (see Milan San Remo thread). A display of panache as well.
  • ddraver
    edited April 2012
    RichN95 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

SH!TTING THE BED
    LMAO 50KM solo.

Oi!! I never doubted Boonen. My Comedy Italian was referencing the conversation between Pozzato and his Team Car!

@Doctor/Jim - No, basically,

OK, ride up to him and leave him dangling 10secs ahead, but 30+? No!

yes it's easy afterwards, but am I the only one that thinks you don't give the favourite even half a chance? Maybe...

I admit I didnt post it here, partly I was telling Sky to close it down by shouting at the telly, but mostly, to be honest, I wanted to see Tom win!
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    ddraver wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

SH!TTING THE BED
    LMAO 50KM solo.

Oi!! I never doubted Boonen. My Comedy Italian was referencing the conversation between Pozzato and his Team Car!

Am I the only one that thinks you don't give the favourite even half a chance? Maybe...

A chance to burn himself out and take the sting out of his sprint? Yes, I'd give him that chance.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Hincapie 43rd @ 7'46". Could get the record outright from Guesdon next year.