Paris - Roubaix *spoiler*

Comments

• Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Give him the chance to burn himself out maybe, but letting him and a team mate get 30 seconds...the fact that Boonen was perfectly happy to distance his domestique should have set alarms off IMO
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Oh well, you'd have lost :P
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    Jez mon wrote:
    Give him the chance to burn himself out maybe, but letting him and a team mate get 30 seconds...the fact that Boonen was perfectly happy to distance his domestique should have set alarms off IMO

I'll give you that the response when Boonen had Terpstra with him was poor - but they gained those 30s very quickly and Terpstra was dropped very shortly after.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    ddraver wrote:

Yes, I would.

Of course, I'd have attacked solo from Arenberg and they'd never have caught me ;-)
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:

Yes, I would.

Of course, I'd have attacked solo from Arenberg and they'd never have caught me ;-)

Arenburg hah! I'd have gone from Paris! ;)
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    ddraver wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Yes, I would.

Like to get a few kms to warm up before you get to the start at Compiègne?
  • RichN95 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Only disgruntledgoat had faith in Boonen. Now after the race is finished everyone's an expert and Sky are idiots for thinking exactly the same as everyone else did.

I'd like to point out that I'm still an expert. :wink:
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Yes, I would.

Like to get a few kms to warm up before you get to the start at Compiègne?

Exactly, Bhima Style!
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    ddraver wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Yes, I would.

I'd have let you. If you were still ahead then I'd have chased you down from Arenberg, let you sit on my wheel for a couple of k and then dropped you like you were going backwards. Obviously.

The reason I'd only have gone from Arenberg is that it takes a while to ride round the entire peloton explaining to each rider exactly where and when I was going to drop them.
  • ddraver
    What are you some lazy sit in Sprinter? Tweet them before hand!!
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    ddraver wrote:
    What are you some lazy sit in Sprinter? Tweet them before hand!!

You cant deliver the complementary energy bar, commemorative replica winner's medal and signed photograph via tweet.
  • Isn't that what Charley Gaul used to do? In the 50s style, of course.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Isn't that what Charley Gaul used to do? In the 50s style, of course.

In the mountains, yes.
  • rick_chasey
    Interview with Vansummeren - when Boonen originally attacked with Pozzato - he tried to stay in the wheel - "haven't experienced anything like that" - he was that fast. He said the he immediately saw that Boonen could go from 50km out.
  • Isn't that what Charley Gaul used to do? In the 50s style, of course.

In the mountains, yes.

A fellow Gaul fan?

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    So Iain - did you prefer this one to 2010?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Isn't that what Charley Gaul used to do? In the 50s style, of course.

In the mountains, yes.

A fellow Gaul fan?

Not really, far too long before my time. But you pick up little bits of legend here and there :-)
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    when he dropped terpstra I thought he wasn't going to make it. It was a hell of a long way out and he was holding at 30 secs for a loooonnng time.

Perhaps sky used one man a time because they were hoping to still have multiple men in contention if Boonen came back... they just got it wrong on the day plus and its a big plus no one had it in them to jump across.. except maybe Boom.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Perhaps Sky just knew there was no point busting a gut to get him back as they had no cards to play when they did..
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    They re gonna need to sit up one race and say we re not chasing for you anymore I reckon. Though I have a feeling Call my Bluff is not a Brailsford game though...
    - @ddraver
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    ddraver wrote:
    They re gonna need to sit up one race and say we re not chasing for you anymore I reckon. Though I have a feeling Call my Bluff is not a Brailsford game though...

It's not really a tactic that works on the track is it!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Boonen's riding Amstel next weekend, supposedly in support of Chavanel. I, for one, am looking forward to it.

Some of the teams stay in the hotel next to where I work. If Tommeke's there, should I give him your love, Rick? :wink:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    I'd be interested to hear EBH's take on the race - it seemed like he was the protected rider of the Sky quartet in the finale - but now it appears he was a knackered passenger.
    Perhaps Sky just knew there was no point busting a gut to get him back as they had no cards to play when they did..

I'm sure they were doing their maximum to close the gap.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    afx237vi wrote:
    Hincapie 43rd @ 7'46". Could get the record outright from Guesdon next year.
    For most mechanicals and punctures?
    Mr Unlucky Paris-Roubaix.
    Lousy contest, except if your name is Rick.
    Don't play it again, Sam.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Fastlad
    Fastlad Posts: 908
    FFS Hincapie? Is it not about time for him to be sat at home with pipe n slippers :o
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Fastlad wrote:
    FFS Hincapie? Is it not about time for him to be sat at home with pipe n slippers :o

Thats too harsh on this respected "Climber" - You know the one who dropped everybody on his way to the ski station of Pla d adet a few years back....really looking forward to his biography of how he managed that "awesome" victory on 3 cans of Irn Bru and a piece & jam.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    So Iain - did you prefer this one to 2010?

Absolutely.

At least in this one for a long time it looked like Boonen could be brought back.

Also, if you're equaling the record it makes sense to do it in a crushing stylee.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I don't think Sky did play things right from having 4 men in the front group. It wouldn't have mattered anyway though. The only way they could have beaten Boonen today would have been with a sniper rifle or a Wile E. Coyote-style catapult.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Graeme_S wrote:
    I don't think Sky did play things right from having 4 men in the front group. It wouldn't have mattered anyway though. The only way they could have beaten Boonen today would have been with a sniper rifle or a Wile E. Coyote-style catapult.

What they could've done is get Hayman, Stannard and Biggles Holden on the front doing turns and ride quite hard. Then Flecha could've gone to the other riders, like Ballan and especially Boom and tell them to help or Sky would stop chasing. And if they didn't help, just sit up

Bigger problem for Sky was that lack of anyone who could actually win it in that group.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.