Paris - Roubaix *spoiler*

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    jibberjim wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Your reserve bike must be the same frame, fork, wheel and tyre design as the bike you start on.

Exceptions will be made when taking a teammate's bike.

Job done.
    I guess that would do it - but you can bet the UCI would come up with some ridiculous way of enforcing it as opposed to something relatively simple like that. Or they'd ignore it for years and then suddenly enforce it when someone they don't like the look of does it and wins a race.

or you start and finish with the same frame.

You fix your own bike, from the tools you're carrying. Team cars can bring up a portable forge if you need to melt any steel but otherwise...

Yep. That's definitely the direction we should be heading. And no help with the bellows!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    "You'll need to wait a day for that epoxy to go off"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N9uZupdGhQ&t=30s
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    tumblr_m26v9vJLae1qbw072o1_500.gif
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    JonGinge wrote:
    "You'll need to wait a day for that epoxy to go off"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N9uZupdGhQ&t=30s

Nonsense. Bit of Aroldite and give it a minute.
  • frenchfighter
    Sounds like sour grapes from De Vlaeminck.

Saying there are only 3rd rate riders too is very disparaging and wrong.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/11583 ... ecord.aspx

It was easier to win other types of races back then.

Boonen will remain a Legend regardless of what they say.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639

I agree. De Vlaeminck reminds me of Bobby Windsor (Legendary Wales and Lions front rower from the 70s). Always carping on about how things were always harder back in those days. As great as they all were, both sports have changed a hell of a lot since then.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,455
    De Vlaeminck won the big races at a time when the number of genuine big hitters was probably as high as it has ever been, so his results are worthy of respect as he was beating True Champions.

Unfortunately he seems to have remained stuck in the mid-70s.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Greipel had five punctures in 25km! I'd have used stronger language than 'frustrating':
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/greipel ... rustrating
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/extra/op ... ce=dlvr.it

Behind the scenes at Quick-Step during Paris Roubaix. Mainly in English it would seem. (includes in-car footage)
  • frenchfighter
    JonGinge wrote:
    Greipel had five punctures in 25km! I'd have used stronger language than 'frustrating':
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/greipel ... rustrating

No luck there. He was looking pretty decent that day too.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • zippypablo
    zippypablo Posts: 398

cyclismas is on your side
    http://cyclismas.com/2012/04/cartoons-f ... vlaeminck/
    especially from the 2 minute mark.
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • frenchfighter
    tumblr_m2a45baTZE1qacyk6o1_1280.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Does anyone know where I can find TBs time for the last 50K?
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    nevman wrote:
    Does anyone know where I can find TBs time for the last 50K?

There's the last 75km on Daily Motion in two parts but with about 1km missing in the middle, which suggests about 1 hour 13. (The Cycling News live updates suggest something around that too).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Thanks-I make it 41kph average over the last hour,approx 25mph,over setts,chased by the peloton.Shakes head?
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    nevman wrote:
    Thanks-I make it 41kph average over the last hour,approx 25mph,over setts,chased by the peloton.Shakes head?

Well, chased by Hayman and Stannard for a lot of it.

And I know who I'd bet on every time in a Boonen vs either one of those battle.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    On the subject of bike changes, does anyone else recall the way Freddy Maertens, a rider who was hardly favoured by the authorities, had his second place in the 1977 Tour of Flanders stripped from him for taking an 'illegal' bike change?

Straight after changing his bike Maertens rode away from the field taking Roger De Vlaeminck with him. The officials let Maertens continue to race. De Vlaeminck sat on Maertens wheel for the last 80 km refusing to do any work (some claim he agreed to pay Maertens for the ride) only to come past Maertens in the sprint to a torrent of boos from the crowd. (I guess that these days many on here would cheer, as long it was Cavendish who won, after all, 'a win is a win'...). The officials then disqualified Maertens for changing his bike.

All in all a perfect example of just how 'messy' the imposition of such rules can be, especially when the authorities are more willing to impose the rules on some riders than on others.
  • frenchfighter
    Good info BB.

I wasnt up to date with that win by De V. In my mind that isnt a worthy win, so Boonen has the record of 4 solely.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    Good info BB.

I wasnt up to date with that win by De V. In my mind that isnt a worthy win, so Boonen has the record of 4 solely.

So you're going to strip De Vlaeminck of a Roubaix title because of something that happen in the Tour of Flanders?

Yep, that makes sense.
  • frenchfighter
    Haha, ok ok, I misread it (it is on the PR thread).

So looks like De V didnt even win (respectfully, worthy, etc) the most important race for a Belgian....fail.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RichN95 wrote:
    Good info BB.

So you're going to strip De Vlaeminck of a Roubaix title because of something that happen in the Tour of Flanders?

Yep, that makes sense.

TrueChampion ratings system. Very complex algorithms employed.
  • RichN95.
    Straight after changing his bike Maertens rode away from the field taking Roger De Vlaeminck with him. The officials let Maertens continue to race. De Vlaeminck sat on Maertens wheel for the last 80 km refusing to do any work (some claim he agreed to pay Maertens for the ride) only to come past Maertens in the sprint to a torrent of boos from the crowd. (I guess that these days many on here would cheer, as long it was Cavendish who won, after all, 'a win is a win'...). The officials then disqualified Maertens for changing his bike.

The bits in bold just aren't true though. They disqualified him fairly soon after the bike change, and Maertens continued on the basis that he was going to appeal (an appeal he knew he had no chance of winning), but really so he could salvage the situation by (allegedly) getting money from De Vlaeminck and to impress those who think that being the strongest is more important than being the first. Maertens knew he had already lost, so why didn't he just sit up if what De Vlaeminck was so offensive?

(There was a big article about this in Pro Cycling a couple of months ago).
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Back on topic. I watched the replay of the race after avoiding the result all week and have to say it was a cracking display by Boonen.

The way he glides over the cobbles is a sight to behold. Compare that to the likes of Hayman and Stannard wrestling their bikes over the same stones in pursuit.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Timoid. wrote:
    I watched the replay of the race after avoiding the result all week...

Forget Boonen's ride, avoiding the result for a week, now that's impressive! Sounds like you have a suitcase full of willpower!
  • BikingBernie
    RichN95 wrote:
    They disqualified him fairly soon after the bike change, and Maertens continued on the basis that he was going to appeal...(There was a big article about this in Pro Cycling a couple of months ago).

Interesting, I was going by what Maertens said in his book. Is the article available anywhere online?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:
    They disqualified him fairly soon after the bike change, and Maertens continued on the basis that he was going to appeal...(There was a big article about this in Pro Cycling a couple of months ago).

Interesting, I was going by what Maertens said in his book. Is the article available anywhere online?

Not the full article sadly, but there's a sort of synopsis here: http://www.irishpeloton.com/2012/04/boo ... d-victory/
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Timoid. wrote:
    I watched the replay of the race after avoiding the result all week...

Forget Boonen's ride, avoiding the result for a week, now that's impressive! Sounds like you have a suitcase full of willpower!

:wink:

Was in the wild west of Ireland middle of nowhere (think craggy island only less built up) and was actually riding my bike instead of watching others ride theirs. An increasingly unusual state of affairs for me.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • BikingBernie
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Not the full article sadly, but there's a sort of synopsis here: http://www.irishpeloton.com/2012/04/boo ... d-victory/

Cheers, strictly speaking the bits you highlighted are true. :wink:
    Bizarrely, Fabri allowed the current world champion to continue riding but said that once he got to the finish he would be disqualified and removed from the final results.