Paris - Roubaix *spoiler*

Comments

• pottssteve wrote:
    Boonen's riding Amstel next weekend, supposedly in support of Chavanel. I, for one, am looking forward to it.

Some of the teams stay in the hotel next to where I work. If Tommeke's there, should I give him your love, Rick? :wink:

Is it wrong of me to think he's only riding it to scout the course for the Worlds? Chavanel won't win Amstel
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    For me, Sky's biggest problem seemed to be that aside from Flecha, they just couldn't ride as fast as Boonen on the cobbles-they'd peg Boonen or take bag a couple of seconds on the tarmac, but they were shipping 10 seconds in most of the cobbled sectors. Boonen was by flying though wasn't he?!-I mean how long did Terpstra hold his wheel on the cobbles for, 150-200m? Boom, Ballan and Flecha seemed to me like the fastest of the rest over the bumpy stuff, but Boonen was best by a long way!

I've just read that back and it looks like I'm stating the obvious, but there's a fair bit of Sky bashing going on, and whilst I agree with the idea that they should have road with three taking turns on the front, EBH has looked awful on cobbles for the past two weekends, Stannard had just had to bridge accross to a chase group then got straight on the front and Hayman was shagged after about 5km of keep the gap relatively stable-if you haven't got the legs, no amount of tactics (even the genius tactics of forum posters posturing after the finish) are going to win you P-R.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Actually, regarding Hincapie, it seems Guesdon was outside the time limit today, so I think that means he already has the record for the most PR finishes.

Insinuations about the Quick Step doctor already starting in the Inrng comments section...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    iainf72 wrote:
    So Iain - did you prefer this one to 2010?

Absolutely.

At least in this one for a long time it looked like Boonen could be brought back.

Also, if you're equaling the record it makes sense to do it in a crushing stylee.

Fair enough.

It was from further out.

We only thought Boonen could be brought back because he's never done this before. The gap never got smaller.

Interesting comments from the sporza commentator michel wuyts.

Does Boonen stand on the same level as de Vlaeminck now?
    "Neen", zegt Wuyts resoluut. "De Vlaeminck koerste toch tegen een ander kaliber van renners. Bovendien won hij ook drie keer Milaan-Sanremo, twee keer de Ronde van Lombardije, Luik-Bastenaken-Luik, de Ronde van Zwitserland, zes keer de Tirreno, werd hij twee keer wereldkampioen veldrijden en won hij ook drie zesdaagses. "We moeten de geschiedenis respecteren. De Vlaeminck is toch nog altijd hoger in te schatten dan Boonen.""
    "No". "De Vlaemick raced against another calibre of rider. Furthermore, he also won Milan San-Remo three times, won Lombardie twice, LBL, Tour of Switzerland, Tirreno 6 times was twice cyclocross champion, and won 3 6 days" "We must respect history. De Vlaemink is still always higher than Boonen"

In case there was any doubt then....!
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    pottssteve wrote:
    Boonen's riding Amstel next weekend, supposedly in support of Chavanel. I, for one, am looking forward to it.

Some of the teams stay in the hotel next to where I work. If Tommeke's there, should I give him your love, Rick? :wink:

Is it wrong of me to think he's only riding it to scout the course for the Worlds? Chavanel won't win Amstel

On the contrary, he's quite open about it:
    "The 31-year-old Boonen thinks he could play a significant future role in the Amstel Gold Race. "But first I need experience. You really need to know the route well if you are going to compete in the Amstel Gold Race. I still have some years left in professional cycling, and I think in the coming seasons I could have a prominent role. This year I will try to take my chances because the Cauberg is a hill that I can handle well. But my first goal is to work for Sylvain Chavanel. Besides that it is also nice to ride the Amstel Gold Race with a view to the World Championships this year with the finish in Valkenburg." Chavanel finished sixteenth in the last two editions of the race." - from the Amstel website.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Thats too harsh on this respected "Climber" - You know the one who dropped everybody on his way to the ski station of Pla d adet a few years back....really looking forward to his biography of how he managed that "awesome" victory on 3 cans of Irn Bru and a piece & jam.

Change the record...
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    I'm embarassed for Sky.

How so? Surely tactics get you so far and your legs get you the rest of the way. Hayman and stannard did all they could to push flecha and EBH. EBH is surely not in form and possibly looking to summer and tdf and flecha is coming back from broken hand. How is that embarrassing? There was plenty of talent in there but no one, sky or otherwise, has the same form right now as boonen. Added to his guts and talent he wasn't being brought back no matter on what tactics you used.

EBH had MSR form (10th), was ok at flanders and said he was targeting P-R :roll:
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    josame wrote:

EBH had MSR form (10th), was ok at flanders and said he was targeting P-R :roll:

When you say 10'th do you mean 25'th?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    Is it obligatory to ride Amstel Gold after you've done the double?

Boonen should kick back and enjoy the win(s). Limberg is no place to have a party.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    He should ride LBL, the wimp.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    Anyone see what PSI Boonen was riding?

Roughly 60.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    iainf72 wrote:

Very good! :lol: He was a hero Turgodt (or however it's spelt :oops: ). Obviously been taking lessons from Tenacious V
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    roubaix+75-3.jpg
    How it used to be!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Is it obligatory to ride Amstel Gold after you've done the double?

Boonen should kick back and enjoy the win(s). Limberg is no place to have a party.

I don't know whether he's obliged to do it, but it is good practice for the Worlds. As for Limburg being party central, the Catholics were living it up big stylee today :)
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I saw the highlights today of PR toady when Boonen popped off and Pozzatto kind of screwed it up again. Ballan and Pozzatto dicking about gave Boonen the impetus to sneak off. If Pozzatto had stuck on Boonen's wheel then things may had been different. Boonen still probably have won but Pipo seems to love treading on the ole banana skin. :s

-jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    iainf72 wrote:
    josame wrote:

Indeed I do... :oops: still my point remains he was only 20 seconds off the winning time on a 300km ride
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • rick_chasey
    josame wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    josame wrote:

Indeed I do... :oops: still my point remains he was only 20 seconds off the winning time on a 300km ride

.....in a race that usually finishes in some kind of group/bunch sprint?

If it finished on the Ventoux it'd be a little different.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Thats too harsh on this respected "Climber" - You know the one who dropped Lauren Brochard, Michael Boogerd, Oscar Sevilla and Pietro Caucchioli on his way to the ski station of Pla d adet a few years back....really looking forward to his biography of how he managed that "awesome" victory on 3 cans of Irn Bru and a piece & jam.
    ftfy. You can add Pereiro to the list if you think sitting on his wheel and coming round him at the finish line counts as dropping him. It's pretty obvious how he managed it if you've ever actually watched the stage.

I like George (I don't know why), and although he was never likely to win it would have been nice to see him at least staying with the race at the weekend. Surely it was his last chance to do that.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Boonen is a Legend.

Winning all year, cleans up two smaller classics, bags Flanders then owns Roubiax.

That is how to win a race with Champion status.

2nd fastest Roubaix in history, won with a solo break longer than Cancellara's.

Really glad he has form and motivation like this. Will see him at Amstel working for his teammates.

Real shame for Chavanel.

Really pleased for Turgot - gutsy and entertaining ride; effort driven result. Glad for Ballan.

Major fail by Pozzato on letting them go, but to be expected.

Great Roubaix.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945

Roughly 60.
    Boom being cagey:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pro ... anced-sl-1

Much wider tyres than normal, though
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    JonGinge wrote:

Roughly 60.
    Boom being cagey:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pro ... anced-sl-1

Much wider tyres than normal, though
    Yeah, his massive tyres were obvious even just on tv (for non clickers that article says they were 30mm)
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Boom did, however, start on his Defy Advanced SL in Compiègne "to save some energy." Boom says he and the team chose a good location about 80km into the race to make the swap and he rode the TCX into the velodrome later in the day.
    I'm not wild on this being an allowed tactic. I know there's no simple way to stop it. I know the UCI would come up with some complicated and ham fisted way to make sure bike changes only happened due to a mechanical fault. So I know it's best they just leave it alone, but doesn't really seem in the spirit of things to me.
  • rick_chasey
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Boom did, however, start on his Defy Advanced SL in Compiègne "to save some energy." Boom says he and the team chose a good location about 80km into the race to make the swap and he rode the TCX into the velodrome later in the day.
    I'm not wild on this being an allowed tactic. I know there's no simple way to stop it. I know the UCI would come up with some complicated and ham fisted way to make sure bike changes only happened due to a mechanical fault. So I know it's best they just leave it alone, but doesn't really seem in the spirit of things to me.

Your reserve bike must be the same frame, fork, wheel and tyre design as the bike you start on.

Exceptions will be made when taking a teammate's bike.

Job done.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Your reserve bike must be the same frame, fork, wheel and tyre design as the bike you start on.

Job done.
    I guess that would do it - but you can bet the UCI would come up with some ridiculous way of enforcing it as opposed to something relatively simple like that. Or they'd ignore it for years and then suddenly enforce it when someone they don't like the look of does it and wins a race.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Graeme_S wrote:

Job done.

Sorry. My reserve bike was mysteriously knacked. I had to use my teammate's reserve bike. He was riding something different to me.

Job done.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    "Sorry. My reserve bike was mysteriously knacked. I had to use my teammate's reserve bike. He was riding something different to me."
    "but Tommeke, you are 6'1 and your teammates are all 5'7 ???"
    "Hey I'm a truechampion... FF says so "
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Graeme_S wrote:

Job done.
    I guess that would do it - but you can bet the UCI would come up with some ridiculous way of enforcing it as opposed to something relatively simple like that. Or they'd ignore it for years and then suddenly enforce it when someone they don't like the look of does it and wins a race.

or you start and finish with the same frame.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Graeme_S wrote:

Job done.

Two changes for P-R then. Road to CX and back to road again.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Graeme_S wrote:

Job done.

You fix your own bike, from the tools you're carrying. Team cars can bring up a portable forge if you need to melt any steel but otherwise...
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/