Shittest town in the UK?

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    edited March 2018
    Pinno wrote:
    None of you have experienced the delights of East Kilbride, Cumbernauld. Maybole and the wonderful Wishaw. These places can make you suicidal just by going through them.
    I wish they had tried to roll these places in glitter.
    I see your whatever above and raise you Govan.
    I had to drop someone off there once. Rab C. Nesbit was set there for a reason.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    Pinno wrote:
    None of you have experienced the delights of East Kilbride, Cumbernauld. Maybole and the wonderful Wishaw. These places can make you suicidal just by going through them.

I fondly remember those first two from my youth (late 70's). Didn't they film Gregory's Girl in Cumbernauld? Classic.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Page seven until Stevenage, where I live, gets a mention, not bad!
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    Big Harv wrote:
    Didn't they film Gregory's Girl in Cumbernauld? Classic.
    Ah yes indeed. Now then, Clare Grogan or Dee Hepburn?
  • big_harv
    orraloon wrote:
    Big Harv wrote:

God, need a cold shower now...
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    Govan. Yep, have to concede that.

Gregory's girl: "One million and 9". Dumbarton ain't much better. Dudley too. Margate. Southend on sea... Oh, mustn't forget Newport.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    orraloon wrote:
    Big Harv wrote:
    Clare.
    He messed up there.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • big_harv
    Linwood. (Scotland). Again, I remember it fondly but not for the architecture.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linwood,_Renfrewshire

Edit: Just looked it up for old times sake. Sad really. But possibly there is hope. Always hope.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Lostwithiel
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Lostwithiel
    Lost what?

Royston Vasey. Did you see those reality tv programmes? Made Larkhall look good.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    afx237vi wrote:
    Port Talbot. Lovely looking place.

Port_Talbot_Steelworks_-_geograph.org.uk_-_41552.jpg

Anyone doing the Dragon Ride will be able to tell the difference between the Devil's Arsehole and the Devil's Elbow.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    mrfpb wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Anyone doing the Dragon Ride will be able to tell the difference between the Devil's Arsehole and the Devil's Elbow.
    That looks like the Redcar steelworks. Except that one is working and the weather is unfeasibly sunny in that pic.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I worked in Port Talbot steelworks for a few months in the 80s. (A student work placement). I've also worked in Gateshead in the 90s. Both are better than Aldershot which has nose dived as the army presence has shrunk.

When I moved to the area one of the locals told me its hard for a business to suceed there. They built a new shopping centre in the town a few years ago and did not get a single tenant.

The town planners in Gateshead have given up on the town centre. It's a black hole in the centre of an improving borough. Metro Centre thrives, the Quayside and the Millenium Bridge* and Derwent and Saltwell Parks have been improved over the years; The Angel of the North is a national icon.

*When Gatehead proposed a new foot/cycle bridge to Newcastle the response was "you can build a bridge if you like, but you can't build on our side of the river."

That's why the structures for holding and rotating the bridge are in the river rather than on the banks. Only the gates to block access before the bridge opens are on the Newcastle bank. It's a fantastic piece of engineering when you look at the design brief and restrictions.
  • kiteloopy
    kiteloopy Posts: 94
    ...haven't seen Grantham been mentioned yet.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    kiteloopy wrote:

Good call.

But not as shiiit as Alsager. At least in Grantham they don’t use faeces as facepacks.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    mrfpb wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Modeled (sic) on England that be, see.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    kiteloopy wrote:

Good call.

But not as shiiit as Alsager. At least in Grantham they don’t use faeces as facepacks.
    MF, I think we need to know what happened to you in Alsager...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    These places must get a mention:

Carlisle
    Johnstone
    Preston
    Ramsgate
    Skegness
    Workington
    Luton
    Leicester...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Already mentioned (by me): Southampton. Guess what? It's not improved. Imagine going on the holiday of your life, a wonderful cruise on the Queen Mary (other ships are available). You have the best time ever. And then you get into Southampton. Why not make a suicide pact off the Isle of Wight (that's another shithole, but that's another day)?
    Shittisst town in the UK. Ever.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • big_harv
    +1 for Johnstone, although again with rose tinted memories. Is it not doing any better than Linwood? Guess not.

Maryport, Cumbria springs to mind. Dunno why..
  • Stevo_666
    Already mentioned (by me): Southampton. Guess what? It's not improved. Imagine going on the holiday of your life, a wonderful cruise on the Queen Mary (other ships are available). You have the best time ever. And then you get into Southampton. Why not make a suicide pact off the Isle of Wight (that's another shithole, but that's another day)?
    It's got a sh1t football club for sure.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Already mentioned (by me): Southampton. Guess what? It's not improved. Imagine going on the holiday of your life, a wonderful cruise on the Queen Mary (other ships are available). You have the best time ever. And then you get into Southampton. Why not make a suicide pact off the Isle of Wight (that's another shithole, but that's another day)?

Whilst Soton isn't my favourite of cities I will jump to its defence. It has lots of open space and parks. Theatres and music venues. 2 universities. Lots of eateries and drinkeries. A huge modern and bustling shopping mall in the heart of the city. The quayside is OK with marinas, apartments, restaurants and cinemas.
    I'm not entirely sure why you'd consider Southampton the worst place in UK.

Top of my worst places that I regularly visit for work are:

Torquay
    Bridgewater
    Redruth
    Plymouth
    Weymouth
    Basingstoke
    Weston S Mare
    Shepton Mallet
    Gillingham (Dorset )
    Street
    Lostwithiel
    Tiverton
    Fareham
    Crediton
    Newton Abbott
    Aldershot
    Saltash
    Bodmin
    Waterlooville
    Eastleigh

My definition of a totally 5hit town or city is one without any endearing areas or totally devoid of character or culture.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Stevo_666
    Vesterberg wrote:
    UPDATE

Ok, I think a shitlist of 20 is large enough, the festering scabs in your regions are:

Welsh Shitholes:
    Merthyr Tydfil
    Newport
    Cwmbran
    Rhyl
    South West Shitholes
    Swindon
    Midland Shitholes
    Stoke-on-trent
    Corby
    Walsall
    Ilkeston
    North East Shitholes
    Middlesborough
    Gateshead
    North West Shitholes
    Skelmsersdale
    Blackpool
    Bradford
    Runcorn
    South East Shitholes
    Luton
    Milton Keynes
    Peterborough
    Scottish Shitholes
    Cumbernauld
    Denny

Despite Yossies brilliant and impassioned plea for Alsager, I'm lumping it in with Stoke.

These will go into a Poll and the for the winner I will start an online petition to have it prefixed with '$hit' for example 'shoot Walsall' or for all civic and road signs to have 'Voted Britain's Shittest Town' underneath. More than 100k and it has to be debated at least.
    I reckon the OP's list wan't too bad...

Alsager only gets a mention :wink:
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    The Northwest has its own share of contenders so we are not accepting Bradford as one of ours.
  • Matthewfalle
    is there much of the UK left to nominate?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Pinno wrote:

New Cumnock, Kirkconnel, Greenock, West Calder, Tarbrax, and basically any ex coal town in South Scotland
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,125
    Pinno wrote:

i went to east kilbride, once, a long long time ago, visit to the motorola wafer fab there for a security thing

in my hotel room, the bathroom door fell off, in the hotel restaurant the wine was off and they nearly set fire to us when they lost control of the flambé operation at the next table

only hazards in the fab were things like copious amounts of hf

they closed the fab, but i bet that hotel is still there
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Matthewfalle
    edited March 2018

I did ambulance work in the Isle of Wight for a bit.

Dead, nothing happens, bit dull but not that bad really. TBH, hey do like their carverys a bit and it's full of fat slippers but overall a 5 out of ten on the shiiiitttt scale.

Much worse out there. Like Alsager for example, the only town in the world where the mayor celebrates an annual pig masturbating festival with the brides of the town drawing lots to bath in urine.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    If I may be permitted to give this thread a slightly more continental theme

Came back from Limoges in France where my daughter lives and studies, which is a bit of a craphole in itself but only a bit!!

However, this trip I drove down there rather than fly and holy shite, what a hellhole Calais is!!
    The town itself is dying on it’s arse and everyone’s given up on improving the place but then you approach the port and honestly, it reminded me of those high security American super jails!!!
    As bad as places are in this country there is nowhere in the UK that looks like that!
  • Matthewfalle
    crispybug2 wrote:
    If I may be permitted to give this thread a slightly more continental theme

Came back from Limoges in France where my daughter lives and studies, which is a bit of a craphole in itself but only a bit!!

However, this trip I drove down there rather than fly and holy shite, what a hellhole Calais is!!
    The town itself is dying on it’s ars* and everyone’s given up on improving the place but then you approach the port and honestly, it reminded me of those high security American super jails!!!
    As bad as places are in this country there is nowhere in the UK that looks like that!

They may have a problem or two at Calais, so let’s cut them some slack.

Britain has places nigh on that without the problems they have.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.