*sighs* Work Christmas Party.

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Final solution.

It is time to develop a cough, possibly even a chest infection.
    You can't go. You don't want to infect others and ruin their Christmases.

It won't be the first time a sickie has been ever called upon.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Why is it when I said 'Man up and play the game' or Man up and don't go' and 'Man up and tell them you make a distinction between professional and personal life' I get shouted down? :cry:

I don't think I ever said there was a distinction, beyond the fact it's by and large obligatory to bring someone if you are in a relationship.
    Say it with me. "You don't have to do anything you don't want to".

Said that on page 1

You're a grown man for god's sake. Don't go.

Look. Take it from me. I'm ballsier than most of you. In fact it gets me into a lot of trouble. This is non-negotiable. If you think it is, you don't understand the situation.

WTF. Non-negotiable. W.T.F.

That's some serious programming they've got going on there. How the hell is asking someone, who doesn't even work at the company, to attend a social event a non-negotiable request?

What if your girlfriend doesn't want to go? What she suddenly doesn't have a right to say "No"? At what point did you sign away her human rights and yours for that matter?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Why is it when I said 'Man up and play the game' or Man up and don't go' and 'Man up and tell them you make a distinction between professional and personal life' I get shouted down? :cry:

I don't think I ever said there was a distinction, beyond the fact it's by and large obligatory to bring someone if you are in a relationship.
    Say it with me. "You don't have to do anything you don't want to".

Said that on page 1

You're a grown man for god's sake. Don't go.

Look. Take it from me. I'm ballsier than most of you. In fact it gets me into a lot of trouble. This is non-negotiable. If you think it is, you don't understand the situation.

WTF. Non-negotiable. W.T.F.

That's some serious programming they've got going on there. How the hell is asking someone, who doesn't even work at the company, to attend a social event a non-negotiable request?

What if your girlfriend doesn't want to go? What she suddenly doesn't have a right to say "No"? At what point did you sign away her human rights and yours for that matter?

I think it's Rick's attendance that is non-negotiable, rather than Ms Chasey.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Can't you pretend you've had a big row and it's all over?

Then miraculously get back together before Christmas?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,341
    What would Tom Boonen do?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    Tom boonen would do a couple of lines on the dining room table I guess, I couldn't even tell you if he'd share.

Everyone says sod it to the xmas party sometimes, just stay home, turn off the phone and suck up a ribbing for a bit, someone else will piss themselves before long and you'll be in the clear.
    FCN 12
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Before I had my present job I used to work for an American software company -no not that one - where I had no personal life so I understand where you're coming from - tell them you've broken up with the gf, hire a hooker and get her to do a strip on the table halfway through the main course :evil:
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    you don't understand the situation.

I think that's a given. If I didn't want to go to an office party, I just wouldn't go. As for being mandatory to take your partner if you're in a relationship... well, just... LULZ.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Give the guy a break, he is 23, not long out of Uni. He doesn't have 20 odd plus years dealing with idiots.

In my early 40's and I do as I please at events like this.
  • Has your girlfriend expressed an opinion? Does she actually want to go?
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    With a bit of distance, what's also so strange is that they seem to be making such a big deal out of it.

I mean, it's just a bloody office party.

Big whoop.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    With a bit of distance, what's also so strange is that they seem to be making such a big deal out of it.

Big whoop.

NOW your getting it - they are obviously sad people who have no lives outside work
  • rjsterry
    edited December 2011
    It occurs to me that this may their idea of some kind of (incredibly juvenile) 'test'. I'm not sure I could resist calling their bluff*. The worst they could do is fire you on some spurious grounds, which I'm sure would come under the heading of unfair dismissal and may even be a blessing in disguise.

* but then I do have a slightly self-destructive stubborn streak
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• daviesee

Big whoop.

Sums it up. Good for you.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    daviesee wrote:
    Off topic and not meant to be an insult. I don't know your exact role for a start, but....

I find it rather ironic that a headhunter can't find himself another job.

Just sayin' like.

I shouldn't think most headhunters would be able to place themselves in the roles they carry out searches for, some hhunters come from the industry they operate in but even then, searches we work on tend to require very specific skillsets. If the employer could take any old tom, dick or harry they wouldn't need a headhunter to spend endless hours on the phone trying to find the perfect candidate and they wouldn't need to pay the fee. However there are recruitment for recruitment firms and headhunter for headhunter companies too!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Crikey - it sounds like Life on Mars! Rick - do your colleagues all have large sideburns and keep hip flasks of whisky in their filing cabinets? :roll:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • daviesee
    I shouldn't think most headhunters would be able to place themselves in the roles they carry out searches for, some hhunters come from the industry they operate in but even then, searches we work on tend to require very specific skillsets. If the employer could take any old tom, dick or harry they wouldn't need a headhunter to spend endless hours on the phone trying to find the perfect candidate and they wouldn't need to pay the fee. However there are recruitment for recruitment firms and headhunter for headhunter companies too!

I would have thought that by constantly being involved in the process of getting people positions then said people would pick up on how to best present a C.V. in the first instance, and themselves in the second.
    Never mind, I had had wrong thoughts before :wink:
    Still kind of ironic though.
  • Ahhhhh you're 23, that explains a lot! Don't worry, in a few years' time you'll look back on your 'I'm ballsy, yes I am damn it' post and laugh.

Anyhow! When I first read it I thought they meant 'hey your GF was not being flirtatious with everyone and dancing etc.' whereas on latter reading it sounds like they're saying 'hey your GF was being bl**dy miserable just sitting in the corner.' What DID she do at the last one?

While I agree that that *shouldn't* affect your career, perhaps give her a little pep talk on the importance of networking, and how mingling a little would help you out? I mean, in a small office that does something like recruitment, that sort of boozy xmas party bonding is important.

If you hate it so much I strongly suggest a career change, I sincerely doubt it'll change.

Play the game... and remember it's just a game.
  • rick_chasey

If you hate it so much I strongly suggest a career change, I sincerely doubt it'll change.

Way ahead of you on the first.

And it's no a game is it? I spend more time with them than anyone else, and they pay my wage.

• If you hate it so much I strongly suggest a career change, I sincerely doubt it'll change.

Way ahead of you on the first.

And it's no a game is it? I spend more time with them than anyone else, and they pay my wage.

You misunderstand. The 'game' part is the social participation, the being-a-1980s-boozehound-caricature, the participation in their social ritual.

It shouldn't be, but it is a huge part of certain industries. Real Estate is definitely one of them, to succeed you need to embrace it, and I suspect recruitment is another.
  • rick_chasey
    I'm not embracing my boss pointing at every black guy in a bar and shouting 'John Fashnu;.

Nor am I embracing my boss making out that the perosn I live with has anything to do with my firm or my work.

I've already told him to f*ck off a few times (literally) and he doesn't seem to get it.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    print out this thread and leave it on his desk.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I'm not embracing my boss pointing at every black guy in a bar and shouting 'John Fashnu;.

Nor am I embracing my boss making out that the perosn I live with has anything to do with my firm or my work.

I've already told him to f*ck off a few times (literally) and he doesn't seem to get it.

FFS. Go carry bricks for a bit until you find a new job.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • daviesee

A career is not a game.
    Office politics is. If you take it seriously, it will mess with your head.
    Do the job, play the game, fcuk the politics.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    daviesee wrote:

A career is not a game.
    Office politics is. If you take it seriously, it will mess with your head.
    Do the job, play the game, fcuk the politics.

+1 to playing the game.
    As said, we're not saying that having a job and paying the bills is a game, just that once you have a job then there are certain aspects that you play along with in order to ease the rest along.
    I end up with a slightly different patter when talking to IT vs Front Office, or when easing through technical changes that, depending on the wording, may or may not require ludicrous levels of testing. You learn what hoops need to be jumped through and play accordingly for those parts.

If having to adopting a persona you dislike is 100% of the job then it's time to get a different job.

(sorry if it sounds patronising)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rick_chasey
    I get that.

How else have I survived for as long as I have

They seem to think I'm OK, just a bit prickly in bits. I've gone out with drinks before and it was OK, save for the John Fashnu from time to time.

It's just now I think they're crossing the line with me.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    there there
  • rjsterry
    I get that.

How else have I survived for as long as I have

They seem to think I'm OK, just a bit prickly in bits. I've gone out with drinks before and it was OK, save for the John Fashnu from time to time.

It's just now I think they're crossing the line with me.

Sounds like it's time to jump even if you don't have a specific target to jump to. You sound capable enough to find work somewhere - a left wing thinktank perhaps :)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:

You sound capable enough to find work somewhere - a left wing thinktank perhaps :)

I totally ballsed up the interview I got at compass. Shame!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    rjsterry wrote:

You sound capable enough to find work somewhere - a left wing thinktank perhaps :)

I totally ballsed up the interview I got at compass. Shame!

I read the popup on their site as "SIGN UP AND GET FIRED TODAY!"