*sighs* Work Christmas Party.

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    BigMat wrote:
    Pretend you have a new girlfriend, hire a hooker for the night and tell her to "entertain" your colleagues as much as possible. You can then "dump" her afterwards and get back with your real g/f. You'll be an office legend!
    This guy....this guy right here. Do it.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I don't get the issue...

Just go, don't bring your girlfriend, look at the strippers and when you've had enough go home.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • BigMat wrote:
    Pretend you have a new girlfriend, hire a hooker for the night and tell her to "entertain" your colleagues as much as possible. You can then "dump" her afterwards and get back with your real g/f. You'll be an office legend!

A big +1 to this: for extra credit, send them all back with a nasty little rash each.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Asprilla wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

/starts quite chant

do it do it do it do it do it do it......

Getting slightly louder as more join in;
    do it do it do it do it do it do it......
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I don't get the issue...

What's not to get? My boss is saying that my girlfriends (reasonable) behaviour at the xmas party can/will hurt my career at the firm? I mean, if it gets to that its constructive dismissal isn't it?

There won't be strippers - they're all bringing their wives.
  • DonDaddyD
    edited December 2011
    Don't bring your girlfriend, why subject her to them?

You can't be 'told' to bring someone if (i) you don't want to and (ii) you don't want to. Seriously, why are you letting someone else impose themselves on what should be your own personal decisions? Make a polite excuse X-mas party's are still business/career building oportunities.

How to win friends and influence people: If you don't automatically fit in then use this as an business opportunity to raise your profile through fake smiles and meaningless banter. The goal being that you want them feel comfortable with you, think that "you're all right" and "one of them". You're not it's just the professional second skin veneer. Go to the X-mas party, make merry, get what you want out of it and promptly go home when it's acceptable to do so. Leave by saying your on a promise! (One of the lads and all that!)

What are their wives like?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    What's not to get? My boss is saying that my girlfriends (reasonable) behaviour at the xmas party can/will hurt my career at the firm? I mean, if it gets to that its constructive dismissal isn't it?

Ditch your missus. She sounds fooking dull.
  • rick_chasey

Ditch your missus. She sounds fooking dull.
    :?
  • rick_chasey
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Don't bring your girlfriend, why subject her to them?

You can't be 'told' to bring someone if (i) you don't want to and (ii) you don't want to. Why are you letting someone else impose themselves on what should be your own personal decisions.

How to win friends and influence people. If you don't automatically fit in then use this as an business opportunity to raise your profile through fake smiles and meaningless banter. The goal being that you want them to think that "your all right" "one of them". You're not it's just the professional second skin veneer. Go to the X-mas party, make merry, get what you want out of it and promptly go home when it's acceptable to do so. Leave by saying your on a promise! (One of the lads and all that!)

What are their wives like?

Look. I can't stand them out of work. In work they're tolerable when they have work to do, and we can keep the chat work related.

They seem to think I'm ok - enough to think it's ok to tell me to sort the missus out. I can do the banter etc, that's no biggie,

What I can't remotely believe is the comment re the GF. a) she's a grown woman b) she wouldn't go if it wasn't effectively mandatory (it genuinely wouldn't be worth it) and c) that somehow that can affect my career? That's the worst. It doesn't, and shouldn't remotely matter. As long as I can do the job fine and not make the office atmosphere bad, which I don't,why say it?

Why am I even defending myself? If you can't see my issue, then I'm glad I don't work with you!
  • DonDaddyD
    Look. I can't stand them out of work. In work they're tolerable when they have work to do, and we can keep the chat work related.

They seem to think I'm ok - enough to think it's ok to tell me to sort the missus out. I can do the banter etc, that's no biggie,

What I can't remotely believe is the comment re the GF. a) she's a grown woman b) she wouldn't go if it wasn't effectively mandatory (it genuinely wouldn't be worth it) and c) that somehow that can affect my career? That's the worst. It doesn't, and shouldn't remotely matter. As long as I can do the job fine and not make the office atmosphere bad, which I don't,why say it?

Why am I even defending myself? If you can't see my issue, then I'm glad I don't work with you!
    Heh, calm down. I sympathise with your problem. My solution would be to "play the game".

If you don't like them that much then don't go. Let the chips fall where they may. If your not the 'roll dice and hope' type then go suffer it and play the game to your advantage.

It's not mandarory for you to bring your girlfriend - that's you letting themselves on what is your personal life and personal decision. They only think they can tell you something (girlfriend related) so personal because you allow them to and you don't have to be rude when telling them it's not their place.

The Greg's and LiT agree with me.
    Food Chain number = 4

• I have sympathy, Rick, very small offices tend to play by very different rules: I've worked in similar. Worse than having to subject your Missus to them is being the only one whose Missus isn't there. I'd ignore the comment about her behaviour, my guess would be that they're just winding you up on that.

The only time I remember someone's wife's behaviour being potentially career-limiting was when one girl (a strict vegan) got plastered and started shouting the place down, tearing strips off the meat-eaters at the table before storming out. Ended up breaking her leg climbing over the fence at the local cricket ground - would have died of hypothermia if her husband hadn't have gone looking for her. Happy days.
  • rick_chasey
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Heh, calm down. I sympathise with your problem. My solution would be to "play the game".

If you don't like them that much then don't go. Let the chips fall where they may. If your not the 'roll dice and hope' type then go suffer it and play the game to your advantage.

It's not mandarory for you to bring your girlfriend - that's you letting themselves on what is your personal life and personal decision. They only think they can tell you something (girlfriend related) so personal because you allow them to and you don't have to be rude when telling them it's not their place.

In short, the bullying I'd get for either not going or not bringing the +1 wouldn't be worth it.

I can take a lot, a hell of a lot, I do more or less every day, but my life wouldn't be worth it.

I'm keen to leave - had interviews elsewhere. No luck yet.
  • DonDaddyD
    Worse than having to subject your Missus to them is being the only one whose Missus isn't there. I'd ignore the comment about her behaviour, my guess would be that they're just winding you up on that.
    I really don't get that, if you don't want to bring your partner or they don't want to go then don't. Obviously make up an interesting lie to be discussed, but still...

Maybe it's just that of the X-mas parties I've been to colleagues have used it to start up/continue affairs...
    The only time I remember someone's wife's behaviour being potentially career-limiting was when one girl (a strict vegan) got plastered and started shouting the place down, tearing strips off the meat-eaters at the table before storming out. Ended up breaking her leg climbing over the fence at the local cricket ground - would have died of hypothermia if her husband hadn't have gone looking for her. Happy days.
    Give that man a promotion!
    Food Chain number = 4

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    My solution would be to "play the game". <snip> The Greg's and LiT agree with me.
    DDD, you're such a toadie.
  • clarkey cat

so what's the problem then? who cares if you do something 'career-limiting', reasonable or otherwise. Fook 'em.
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2011

so what's the problem then? who cares if you do something 'career-limiting', reasonable or otherwise. Fook 'em.

I'm a bit bearish on my career prospects elsehwere.

Bonus round comes soon and I'd like to bag a bit to hold me over when I do cave in and leave without another job lined up.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    edited December 2011
    re the GF. a) she's a grown woman

Very glad to her it. You hear far too much of "that sort of thing" going on these days. It's disgusting.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

In short, the bullying I'd get for either not going or not bringing the +1 wouldn't be worth it.

I can take a lot, a hell of a lot, I do more or less every day, but my life wouldn't be worth it.

Good luck with the job search it does sound absolutely awful. I suppose I've got more of a prickly character I'd just bully back and I wouldn't bring her as her (my girlfriends) happiness and enjoyment supercedes work and if they don't like it... well phoey. It's not easy when you're being singled out, I do understand but I suppose that's why I don't have many friends from work. (I get a lot of respect though).
    Food Chain number = 4

• Bonus round comes soon and I'd like to bag a bit

Look, everyone! He's a secret capitalist after all!

I knew it. I knew it all along. :twisted:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • clarkey cat
    Ah... it all becomes clear. The filthy lucre. It always comes back to our friend Benjamin.

Look, if your missus knows what side her bread is buttered on then she's going to do as you want, and if her playing up at your Christmas party is going to have an impact on bonus then I think you already know what you need to do.
  • DonDaddyD
    notsoblue wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    My solution would be to "play the game". <snip> The Greg's and LiT agree with me.
    DDD, you're such a toadie.
    I'm gonna tell Greg on you!
    Food Chain number = 4

• rick_chasey
    Yeah duh - I don't go to work for fun.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    edited December 2011
    I don't know the world of recruitment, so I've no idea whether their threat - because that is what it is - is realistic or not, i.e. whether they could actually affect your career beyond that particular office. If the office is that small anyway, I'm not sure what your prospects within that office would be and whether they are worth sacrificing anything for.

One thing is certain: they cannot make your girlfriend attend, and you should not have to put up with any adverse treatment resulting from that. You're (understandably) being a bit evasive as to what this adverse treatment might be but I think you need to get some professional advice if it is really that bad (i.e. 'life not worth living').
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Jesus they sound like douchebags.

Just because I haven't seen anyone else mention it, turn up to be polite, but claim you're on antibiotics which prevent drinking. Don't drink, and slope off early.

Edit: Hopefully you'll get away with sloping off 'cos you're not drinking, and your girlfriend won't be expected to stay without you.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Ah... it all becomes clear. The filthy lucre. It always comes back to our friend Benjamin.

Exactly. He's prepared to prostitute himself, sacrifice his principles and his dignity and parade his gf all some filthy lucre...

I am chortling so much that I might not walk over Tiny Tim next time I walk back into the room.

It is almost Christmas, after all!

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:

One thing is certain: they cannot make your girlfriend attend, and you should not have to put up with any adverse treatment resulting from that. You're (understandably) being a bit evasive as to what this adverse treatment might be but I think you need to get some professional advice if it is really that bad.

I am tempted.

I know my seat's been a bit of a revolving door. I think 3 women in the past decade have sued people at my work (either where I am now or previously) successfully.

Ultimately, they'll close ranks if I do decide to take legal action, since all the bosses are largely the same, and I don't have the sexual discrimination aspect, so I'd wonder if it was worth the bother. I'd rather line up a new job, pick up my profit share (small though that will be this year) and leave. That's the aim.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Ah, you work in recruitment. Now it all makes sense.

Seriously you and headhunter aside, I've never met anyone who worked in recruitment who wasn't a massive twat. Actually, let me clarify that, a massive, lazy, self-serving, braying, egotistical c8nt.

Worse than estate agents.
  • rick_chasey
    Ah, you work in recruitment. Now it all makes sense.

Seriously you and headhunter aside, I've never met anyone who worked in recruitment who wasn't a massive fool. Actually, let me clarify that, a massive, lazy, self-serving, braying, egotistical c8nt.

Worse than estate agents.

Ah some are OK.

I like HeadHunter for a start.
  • DonDaddyD
    ^^This^^

Oh this all makes sense. Don't bring the girlfriend and threaten to theirs that they are all having affairs.
    Food Chain number = 4

• clarkey cat
    Actually, let me clarify that, a massive, lazy, self-serving, braying, egotistical c8nt.

I general, I would agree with that. I'm a lawyer and if I had one pound for every time a spiky haired pleb told me that he 'earned more than I could imagine' I would be a very rich man indeed.