STRIKE!

Fully-sprung
Fully-sprung Posts: 670
edited December 2011 in The Crudcatcher
So, is anyone on strike tomorrow?
How are you effected by the strikes?
Our school is open for our year only so I'm going on strike, going pheasant shooting and then for a pub meal.
"Youth's a mask, but it don't last
live it long and live it fast."
My dustcap topic:
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/forum/view ... &highlight

Comments

• Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    My missus is, means I've got to catch the train to work

annoyed.gif
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,872
    Mersey tunnel closed which will effect sales. Kids school is partially open, ie, oldest off and youngest in - impressed :roll:
  • I'm not. Mainly because I'm not part of a union, and also because I don't care about the cr@p people are moaning about. When I'm nearly 60, there won't be a pension, so I don't care what happens now.

I'll happily cross the picket line, I like shouting back at the people that don't really know why they're there
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope I work for a living. My son's not too unhappy though, school closed and it's his birthday. Win win.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Being part of the Ambulance Service (IT Dept mind you) means I have to still come in, though there is a chance I can work from home depending on what the picket lines are like
    Attention all planets of the Solar Federation - We have assumed control.
  • matthew h wrote:
    Mersey tunnel closed which will effect sales. Kids school is partially open, ie, oldest off and youngest in - impressed :roll:
    Ours is the opposite to that, oldest in, not too happy so I'm on strike. The pensions aren't going to get better these idiots need to realise the meaning of no more money, WE HAVE NO MONEY, WE CAN'T GIVE YOU WHAT WE DON'T HAVE, P!SS OFF!
    My dustcap topic:
  • my misses is off work but i'm in,
    although i will be getting paid and she won't
    1996 GT Borrego - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Expert - 2010 Specialized enduro expert
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    WE HAVE NO MONEY, WE CAN'T GIVE YOU WHAT WE DON'T HAVE, P!SS OFF!

I didn't think I'd ever see this day, but Fully-sprung has posted something that I completely agree with......
  • *AL* wrote:

I didn't think I'd ever see this day, but Fully-sprung has posted something that I completely agree with......
    Great minds and all that.
    My dustcap topic:
  • *AL* wrote:

Thank god it's not just me.
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    im in work, i dont know what the strike is about.

i think it is something to do with getting less money and having to work longer to get it?

unfortunately i will also be getting less money in my pension but as far as i can tell, bleeting and whining about it wont change the fact there isnt enough money and lets be honest, my pension (which you are all paying for thank you very much) is pretty sweet anyway!
  • im in work, i dont know what the strike is about.

i think it is something to do with getting less money and having to work longer to get it?

unfortunately i will also be getting less money in my pension but as far as i can tell, bleeting and whining about it wont change the fact there isnt enough money and lets be honest, my pension (which you are all paying for thank you very much) is pretty sweet anyway!
    It's about less pension money and more money having to be paid in, the government hasn't got the money to put in them selves, the country is in debt, and the people that work in the privet sector pay their wages and pensions, and what pensions do they get in return, a worse one than you lot. This effects everyone in some way, in my working lifetime I'll be paying off the debt you demanding cnuts have made and I'll be working for more years and then I'll have nothing to show for it. Thanks pr!cks.
    My dustcap topic:
  • sheepsteeth
    in my working lifetime I'll be paying off the debt you demanding cnuts have made and I'll be working for more years and then I'll have nothing to show for it. Thanks pr!cks.

dont worry, ill make sure any of the bombs i find in the future arent in any way to make you safe.
  • Yawn.
    The fact that the country is broke though is that the last government decided to let us spend spend spend, and when we ran out of money, the banks gave us money that they didn't have, so we could spend that. It's our fault we're in debt.
    When the National Pension was set up, 10 working people paid for 1 retired person. Today, 2 people pay for 1 retired person. In a few years, the balance will be 1 person pays for 2 retired folk. The longer people live, the smaller our pensions will be.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • cooldad

It's about less pension money and more money having to be paid in, the government hasn't got the money to put in them selves, the country is in debt, and the people that work in the privet sector pay their wages and pensions, and what pensions do they get in return, a worse one than you lot. This effects everyone in some way, in my working lifetime I'll be paying off the debt you demanding cnuts have made and I'll be working for more years and then I'll have nothing to show for it. Thanks pr!cks.

On the bright side.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad

Or you could be public spirited and blow yourself up before you retire.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • im in work, i dont know what the strike is about.

The pension is the only thing that makes working in the public sector attractive and even then its not the best. My mate basically does the same job as I do except in the private sector, he gets atleast 10k a year more, pays 0% contributions to his pension, gets a yearly bonus and has had pay rises every year
    Attention all planets of the Solar Federation - We have assumed control.
  • sheepsteeth
    cooldad wrote:

keep an eye on my facebook account as of september and you may find out you got your wish!!
  • cooldad wrote:

Maybe if everyone did that the country wouldn't be fooked.
    My dustcap topic:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The pensions aren't going to get better

Luckily, the strikes aren't asking for better pensions- they're asking for the pensions that they're already paying for.

"We don't have any money"- bizarre this. The NHS pension scheme runs in surplus- members pay in more than the scheme pays out. If it was a private pension scheme, either contributions would reduce or the surplus would be reinvested, but as it's a public one, the government takes the excess back- billions of pounds. We're told it's unaffordable, but if this money was reinvested that would change dramatically. But instead, any excess is skimmed off and used elsewhere but any shortfall is laid upon the members.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:

keep an eye on my facebook account as of september and you may find out you got your wish!!

TBH and serious, a cardinal sin I know, it would not be my wish.
    Gets boring enough around here as it is.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • sheepsteeth
    Northwind wrote:

haha.
  • Are us taxpayers paying for you to take a nice relaxing little holiday to a hot and sandy country next year then sheeps?
  • sheepsteeth
    Are us taxpayers paying for you to take a nice relaxing little holiday to a hot and sandy country next year then sheeps?

yeah man, its basicly like having 6 months off!! cant wait
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    off school tommorow, hell yeah!!
    tbh this has no real direct effect on me, apart from a positive one(tommorow is full of crappy lessons so i'd rather spend the day being lazy at home). it'll be long before i even start giving a $hit about pensions so i'm not too bothered about this, i don't even know what exactly is going on...
  • Are us taxpayers paying for you to take a nice relaxing little holiday to a hot and sandy country next year then sheeps?

yeah man, its basicly like having 6 months off!! cant wait

Make sure you bring us back some rock.

and a novelty sombrero!
  • I'l be looking forward to an easy and traffic free journey to work tomorrow :)
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    jay12 wrote:
    i don't even know what exactly is going on...

Is that confined to the industrial action, or just life in general Jay ?
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Northwind wrote:
    The pensions aren't going to get better

Luckily, the strikes aren't asking for better pensions- they're asking for the pensions that they're already paying for.

"We don't have any money"- bizarre this. The NHS pension scheme runs in surplus- members pay in more than the scheme pays out. If it was a private pension scheme, either contributions would reduce or the surplus would be reinvested, but as it's a public one, the government takes the excess back- billions of pounds. We're told it's unaffordable, but if this money was reinvested that would change dramatically. But instead, any excess is skimmed off and used elsewhere but any shortfall is laid upon the members.

Two small problems with that argument, the government can't invest the public sector pension in private companies to make it grow nor do they suffer the risk on the same basis. The pension may have excess contributions at the moment but as it stands with a maximum employee contribution of 8.5% how can you make that grow to account for inflation and provide a pension without the tax payer topping it up in the future. The only way it can is to take in more than it pays outnow by continuing to employ more and more people in the NHS at approx 8 new staff to every one that retires. The basis that it takes more in than paid out now so the future pension must be okay doesn't work for those reasons already stated so any excess is used to balance the budget, reduce borrowings and keep down the tax rates for as long as possible.
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    I shall be waving my "Official Picket" placard to any scab who has no shame what-so-ever in crossing the line to work. Then I might go for a bike ride. I'll call it a "Sportive" ride 'cause its going to be a bloody expensive day but should be worth it.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon