CoD MW3 anyone got it yet?

123457»

Comments

• DonDaddyD wrote:
    My gaming has gone tits up. Currenly I've had to stop playing Rift as it requires two hands. Football manager is another story! I can use the mouse in my right hand and hold the baby in the left. In my first season I managed to win the League, League Cup and Champions League.

I'm in negotiations with the Mrs about Skyrim. She'd let me play an hr a day (or I could play 3 hrs from 12pm - 3am, though this would have to be done in secrecy)...

I'm getting Star Wars when it is released proper. Not up for discussion that one. My son even has a Star Wars and Star Trek baby grow...

Get a wrap thing that will hold the little guy close to and keep hands free./
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Star Wars The Old Republic.

What a game!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Resuscitates old thread...

Realistic & sensible answers please, if poss. Elder boy (14) wants this, him and younger one (10) both claim all their mates have got it, every last of them. I saw a bloke buying it over Christmas with his v small son (no more than 6 y-o) and they were busily agreeing with each other how great it'll be to get home to play it and kill each other.

It's an 18 rating so what's the deal? What is there that warrants it an 18 rating? Answers from the perspective of a wife wanting her kids to have some respect for these sort of rules, and that the 10 year-old will probably see it one way or another anyway - we're not daft. So what makes it an 18?

Thx.

Edit to add I'm a complete novice at XBox etc games - not the slightest interest in playing them and never have done.
  • Sorry CiB - which game do you mean? MW3 is just violent with fair bit of body parts etc blown around and some other group death ideas - no sex or other NSFW material in that vein afaik - just big guns and bullet [holes].

Depends on the parents afai see these ratings as to whether the kid will be warped or not by the visuals.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    CiB wrote:

Realistic & sensible answers please, if poss. Elder boy (14) wants this, him and younger one (10) both claim all their mates have got it, every last of them. I saw a bloke buying it over Christmas with his v small son (no more than 6 y-o) and they were busily agreeing with each other how great it'll be to get home to play it and kill each other.

It's an 18 rating so what's the deal? What is there that warrants it an 18 rating? Answers from the perspective of a wife wanting her kids to have some respect for these sort of rules, and that the 10 year-old will probably see it one way or another anyway - we're not daft. So what makes it an 18?

Thx.

Edit to add I'm a complete novice at XBox etc games - not the slightest interest in playing them and never have done.

It's a bit of swearing, bits of blood. A few graphic deaths in the single player. I know in MW2 you went undercover and massacred a load of people at an airport, but you could opt out of that bit before you started.

FWIW, I played GTA games from 15 onwards, and I've never run anyone over, used prostitues, killed anyone, robbed banks, run drugs, flown planes, hijacked cars etc.

Then again, when I was 7 or 8 I played Doom and was a little frightened. Probably did me some good anyway.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    On the case..."Contains strong bloody battle violence". But that really applies just to the campaign. Although the multiplayer is people running around shootign each other, it isn't that violent imho.

If you want to see what it's like, there are plenty of videos on youtube showing the campaign and multiplayer gameplay.

One thing I would say, there is a scene that shows a child getting killed in an explosion. If you don't want your kids to see that, be there when they start the game (think it may be when you start a campaign) to make sure they choose no when asked if they want to see the upsetting content.
  • DonDaddyD
    In the last Modern Warfare game there is a mission where you have to walk around an Airport with some other terrorists and shoot all the innocent people. I wasn't cool with that, I put the controller down.

CiB, Modern Warfare games are litterally just that, they are War games as violent as any War film ever made - including the close up mano-a-mano stab the guy in the heart while whispering him silent Saving Private Ryan scene. It's a War game/film in a Modern setting as in what if America and Russia did go to War in 2012? In High Definition.

Not sure about the sex scene in Modern Warfare, but Mass Effect (a harmless sci-fi game) had a couple of saucy sex scenes (with the potential of turning them lesbian sex scenes) and that was only rated 12. Use that as your yard stick.

My rule, if he can watch a certificate 12, 15, 18 etc film at the cinema. Then he can play games of the same certificated level.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    CiB wrote:

Thx.

Well of course they do :roll: Surely you of all people can give it the full, "I don't care what your mates have got, it says 18 on the box and you are not 18 years old. End of."
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    My kids, 7 and 10, use the same argument. I have an xbox 360 and have played MW3, and there is no way I will let them play it. I do, however let them play the Halo series as you are shotting aliens and not slitting peoples thoats. Its more of a cartoon style violence than the realsim of MW games.
    I also had a chat with a couple of parents at the school about it. They asked why I wouldnt let my boys it as their kids wanted to play mine online. They thought I was being silly as its only a computer game. As they were having a play day round my place the next day I offered to show one of the mums what its like (and the xbox game :lol: ) . She was horrified that she had let her son, 9 years old btw, play it.
    Best bet, play it though, and see what you think. All kids are different.
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    CiB wrote:

Thx.

there is an option to turn all the bloody video sequences off during the game so you can make it more child friendly.

with the option left on, there is a cut sequence where a family gets blown up by a terrorist bomb (you don't see anything but not very nice) in the previous game like DDD said there was a sequence where the player needed to shoot innocent civilians in an airport

the game play is basically everybody trying to kill everyone either by shooting them, slashing them with a knife or blowing them up with a rpg (or grenade*)

*my favourite way to kill players is to stick semtex to them
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    CiB:
    I'm not a parent, so I can't really give you any proper advice. But my opinion is that it probably is worth respecting the age guidance. I think a 14 yr old will be able to cope with the graphic violence of the game, but a 10 year old wouldn't gain anything positive from the experience. What would concern me more is what they would be exposed to during online play on XBoxLive or PS Network. As an adult this is what its like. Swearing, foul language and just general douchebaggery are incredibly common in online games. And I have no problem with myself; as an adult you can just ignore it. But if I had children I'd probably want to shelter them from it. If your kids want to play games like MW3 or BF3 online they'll be exposed to people of all ages bombarding them with a lexicon of filth, racism and banal depravity they probably wouldn't encounter elsewhere. Personally I think thats a pretty high price to pay for giving in to peer pressure.

I think the 18 Certificate reflects what they'll be exposed to in online play as much as the level of gore and violence in the single player game. It always surprises me just how many younger teens play games like this. Its a pretty adult environment.

Sorry if that sounds preachy, but I spent xmas with family, including my 10 yr old cousin who got an XBox and while I was initially a little surprised that my Uncle got him family friendly games (which were actually quite fun in the end) and didn't let him on XBox Live, I reflected on the fact that it would have been a pretty awkward boxing day explaining to him what xXF4G_k1LL3R97Xx was repeatedly doing to his corpse.
  • notsoblue
    fenboy369 wrote:
    My kids, 7 and 10, use the same argument. I have an xbox 360 and have played MW3, and there is no way I will let them play it. I do, however let them play the Halo series as you are shotting aliens and not slitting peoples thoats. Its more of a cartoon style violence than the realsim of MW games.
    I also had a chat with a couple of parents at the school about it. They asked why I wouldnt let my boys it as their kids wanted to play mine online. They thought I was being silly as its only a computer game. As they were having a play day round my place the next day I offered to show one of the mums what its like (and the xbox game :lol: ) . She was horrified that she had let her son, 9 years old btw, play it.
    Best bet, play it though, and see what you think. All kids are different.

I think thats a pretty common view. Computer games have come on leaps and bounds in the last 10 years and quite a few of the very popular ones are designed for an adult audience. Lots of people who don't play computer games themselves tend to think they're for kids and are pretty harmless when they really aren't.
  • notsoblue
    DonDaddyD wrote:

What a game!

Agree, I was very sceptical about it, but having been forced into it by friends I've really loved playing this game the past week. Its pretty awesome, such a huge and detailed environment. So much scope. I've been levelling a Sith Juggernaught and the Dark/Light side character development has been pretty interesting. What have you rolled and where are you playing?

Comparing it to WoW, it isn't as polished yet. They haven't opened up the game to mod developers, and the UI is pretty basic and feels restrictive to what I'm used to. But all that will improve as it matures. So far I'm just loving the questing, and combat. Very good indeed.
  • suzyb
    notsoblue wrote:
    CiB:
    I'm not a parent, so I can't really give you any proper advice. But my opinion is that it probably is worth respecting the age guidance. I think a 14 yr old will be able to cope with the graphic violence of the game, but a 10 year old wouldn't gain anything positive from the experience. What would concern me more is what they would be exposed to during online play on XBoxLive or PS Network. As an adult this is what its like. Swearing, foul language and just general douchebaggery are incredibly common in online games. And I have no problem with myself; as an adult you can just ignore it. But if I had children I'd probably want to shelter them from it. If your kids want to play games like MW3 or BF3 online they'll be exposed to people of all ages bombarding them with a lexicon of filth, racism and banal depravity they probably wouldn't encounter elsewhere. Personally I think thats a pretty high price to pay for giving in to peer pressure.
    I have to say, this is what put me off playing online games for years. However I haven't experienced it.

It may have been because I have the official PS3 headphones that you can turn down voice chat without turning down in game sound. But I haven't had a problem with getting sent rude messages either.

Perhaps it's because I'm just so bad everyone I don't kill anyone enough for them to get mad :wink:
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    suzyb wrote:
    I have to say, this is what put me off playing online games for years. However I haven't experienced it.

It may have been because I have the official PS3 headphones that you can turn down voice chat without turning down in game sound. But I haven't had a problem with getting sent rude messages either.

Perhaps it's because I'm just so bad everyone I don't kill anyone enough for them to get mad :wink:

to be honest i have found most of the abuse I have received has been off kids - usually because i killed them during the game an they didn't like it. but like you say, i just generally ignore & block them. If they are particularly nasty i report them. God knows if Microshaft actually do anything about them though
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • suzyb
    mudcow007 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

to be honest i have found most of the abuse I have received has been off kids - usually because i killed them during the game an they didn't like it. but like you say, i just generally ignore & block them. If they are particularly nasty i report them. God knows if Microshaft actually do anything about them though
    I was trying not to go all PS3 fanboy (well fangirl) and say this...but the bad mouthing I've heard about seems to all be on xbox live.

Was watching a video just this morning, a guy got a bunch of abuse after playing black ops and he was on xbox. And my cousin (also xbox) just leaves his headphones off sometimes so he doesn't have to listen to it.

I'm sure it happens on the PSN but xbox live seems to have a bigger problem with it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I played blops on Xbox for a while.

Never get much abuse, but then again, I can never hear what anyone says.

Remember one time muting someone since all you could hear was a baby crying.

I'd rather not know who I was playing against > that way I can make up my own backstory on the basis of their playing style.
  • DonDaddyD
    notsoblue wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

What a game!

Agree, I was very sceptical about it, but having been forced into it by friends I've really loved playing this game the past week. Its pretty awesome, such a huge and detailed environment. So much scope. I've been levelling a Sith Juggernaught and the Dark/Light side character development has been pretty interesting. What have you rolled and where are you playing?

I've rolled a Sith Assassin (Major DPS + Minor Tank for survivability) and a Sith Juggernaut (Major Tank + minor DPS)
    Comparing it to WoW, it isn't as polished yet. They haven't opened up the game to mod developers, and the UI is pretty basic and feels restrictive to what I'm used to. But all that will improve as it matures. So far I'm just loving the questing, and combat. Very good indeed.
    At launch the game is already better than what Star Trek Online is now. (You should see the rage at Star Wars coming from Star Trek fans...). I also agree that the game isn't polished yet:
      The UI needs updating and personally (player balance be damned) I think they should have allowed the player to choose what powers for their respective class. Everyone in the same class with the same force powers seems..... meh. Also cotume customisation ought to be added soon - for the social aspect of the game, but that's more a vanity thing. The Sith Maurader Jedi Sentinel classes need tweaking as the DPS they can put out doesn't counter balance the survivability of a tank - i.e. a Tank will always in in a straight fight. The graphics need a major rework. Even turned right up they still look a 4-5years old.
    But as the game is it's awesome, story is tight and you get a real sense of Galaxy in the way Flashpoints and other raids work.

Love it.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    Online gaming:

X-box live chat is a vile place but then so are the majority of online games with live chat facilities.

I blame WoW (World of Warcraft), seriously. "Must be a WoW player" is a widespread online (PC) gaming response towards any player who shows a lack of social gaming decency.

If we are talking PC gaming then I think anything younger than 14 may be too young to be engaging with people in online chat.

Example: Star Trek Online chat is full of sexual content (and to a lesser extent casual racism - ironic that). Dates to Risa and time travel around the Sun to get that tonic that if drunk makes your character do a sexy dance. Seriously! And it's usually the American's leading the charge as the repressed role play freaks. I never forget the day a 40-50yr old female player who was having a cyber (cyber = online sex session) with another player and put her 'cyber text' in the main public chat instead of sending it as whisper (PM). I was laughing for days at her filthy mouth.

All my characters are female. I let people know I'm male.
    Food Chain number = 4

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I got MW3 for Xmas. Wasn't going to buy it myself as Mrs Sketchley doesn't like all the noise. But she brought it for me so can't complain now. Excellent game.

As for being suitable for children, I suppose it comes down to if you believe your child can separate fantasy from reality when being presented with something that is trying to be as real as possible. It can get very intense when you are playing it in any mode and for this reason I'd avoid letting children play it. I've even woken up in the middle of the night having dreamt I was still in the game, for a 9 or 10 year old this could be quite frighting. My view is that it says 18 on the box so you should respect that and when we had friends kids over and they've wanted to play on the PS3, games have been restricted for their age. Likewise when ask to buy games as presents for nephews we have declined on because of the age rating and asked them to pick another game.

Edit: Also, I would suggest playing it yourself before letting your kids, and as with any online gaming or internet access make sure you monitor what they do and give them some rules about what to do and not to do (i.e. don't give out personal information).
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Thanks all for the various ideas & opinions. All duly noted. Cheers.