CoD MW3 anyone got it yet?

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    wow, what an awful game.

and people were slating BF3 when it came out
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    It's been an awesome few weeks for gamers - Rage, BF3, Uncharted3, MW3, GOW 3, Assassins Creed out next week. The wife is getting a tad annoyed. I've been delving into the MW3 multiplayer, but people on there are so bloody good already. Problem is that these things just eat time. I'd happily spend all weekend playing MW3 if I could, but the misses would do her nut!

Anyone played Uncharted 3 BTW? I thought it was fantastic. Now without faults, but better than most action films I've seen recently!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Anyone played Uncharted 3 BTW? I thought it was fantastic. Now without faults, but better than most action films I've seen recently!

No, but I just bought Fallout: New Vegas for £10. Seems a bargain.

Never really got into RPGs properly, but so far really enjoying it.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    It's been an awesome few weeks for gamers - Rage, BF3, Uncharted3, MW3, GOW 3, Assassins Creed out next week. The wife is getting a tad annoyed. I've been delving into the MW3 multiplayer, but people on there are so bloody good already. Problem is that these things just eat time. I'd happily spend all weekend playing MW3 if I could, but the misses would do her nut!

I'm going to get Uncharted 3. The camera and controls for the previous 2 drive me mad but the storyline makes it worth it.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689

No, but I just bought Fallout: New Vegas for £10. Seems a bargain.

Never really got into RPGs properly, but so far really enjoying it.

One bug filled game. Did not get on with that one. Sure as a game unto itself it's good. But compared to Fallout 3 not so much. While New Vegas does allow you submerge yourself into the gaming World more so than Fallout 3. Fallout 3 was better thought out , had a better story in my opinion, better characters and less bugs IMO.

On bugs: Bethesda only published New Vegas, Obsidian Entertainment developed it. Whereas Bethesda developed Fallout 3, Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and Elder Scrolls Morrow Wind and those three are critically acclaimed with each winning game of the year.

The significance is that all were developed on the same engine (Gamebryo) which is notorious for bugs.

But it is enjoyable.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • spasypaddy
    dont get me started on UC3. it is the most overhyped game in the world. more overhyped than COD. its a game where it has pretty graphics but no substance. ooooh this ledge might break as i hang off it, no wait as per usual manage to jump off.

every gun feels the same, no power, like a peashooter, constant respawning.

im going back to halo.
  • rick_chasey
    spasypaddy wrote:

im going back to halo.

Now THAT was a rubbish game.

R-u-b-b-i-s-h.

Cannot see what anyone sees in that game.
  • DonDaddyD
    Halo was a masterpiece.

In terms of story, gameplay and how it worked on a technical level. All of it. Masterpiece.

The game would load while you were playing so you had epically long levels and for the first time didn't have to wait a lengthy period of time between levels. Two player was amazing. The distinction between energy and ballistic weapons (energy took shields down faster, bullets killed quicker) was spot on. The Flood (space zombies/Borg) scary. The musical score, that shotgun. The power sliding Warthog, that level where you storm the beach. All of it. Beautiful.

By Halo Reach, I was ready to cry. Brilliant game, brilliant concept and fictional Universe.

Can't think of a better series of first person shooters.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    spasypaddy wrote:
    dont get me started on UC3. it is the most overhyped game in the world. more overhyped than COD. its a game where it has pretty graphics but no substance. ooooh this ledge might break as i hang off it, no wait as per usual manage to jump off.

every gun feels the same, no power, like a peashooter, constant respawning.

im going back to halo.

Ok, so just ignore the storytelling, voice acting, humour etc. I thought the shooting was fine, remember it's not trying to be a shooting game in the first place. Can't really compare it to HALO in that respect.

Now if you want a disappointing game - RAGE. So much potential, ruined.
  • spasypaddy
    but its an action adventure game, surely you want the action to be good. its not.

its a poor relation to the classic that is Tomb Raider.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Probably going out on a limb here, given that it hasn't yet been mentioned in 70 posts but, FIFA 12. Wow.

For a game that you don't really think could go anywhere else - football is football after all - EA (of all people!) has done an extraordinary job with it. Incredible game. As good as the NHL series now.

And I'm quite enjoying MW3 - no great leap forward, but they were unlikely to change a winning formula. Got my backside handed to me a few times in Domination last night, but held my own in TDM and Kill Confirmed (really pleased to see that added). Did the usual thing of just focusing on capturing the flags in Domination and ended up getting mashed. Should probably be a bit less gung-ho there...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Halo was a masterpiece.

In terms of story, gameplay and how it worked on a technical level. All of it. Masterpiece.

The game would load while you were playing so you had epically long levels and for the first time didn't have to wait a lengthy period of time between levels. Two player was amazing. The distinction between energy and ballistic weapons (energy took shields down faster, bullets killed quicker) was spot on. The Flood (space zombies/Borg) scary. The musical score, that shotgun. The power sliding Warthog, that level where you storm the beach. All of it. Beautiful.

By Halo Reach, I was ready to cry. Brilliant game, brilliant concept and fictional Universe.

My word sir, you are having a laugh... half life and halflife 2 + episodes. If you were to compare them biasedly but entirely fairly - half life and 2 are galactus. Halo is antman...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    The only games I've had time to play in recent weeks are Football Manager 2011, Sins of a Solar Empire (oldish but good) and Pro Cycling Manager. Just can't get interested in proper arcade games. I am tempted by Battlefield 3 though. Can you play the multiplayer maps against bots? I'm really not at all interested in going online against real people.
  • spasypaddy
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Halo was a masterpiece.

this man knows.

Halo is probably my all time favourite franchise.
  • rick_chasey

My word sir, you are having a laugh... half life and halflife 2 + episodes. If you were to compare them biasedly but entirely fairly - half life and 2 are galactus. Halo is antman...
    This man (woman?) speaks the truth.
  • DonDaddyD
    Half Life was for gaming geeks and the somewhat socially stunted.

It was for those that made it their purpose not to follow social trends. Like everyone agrees that iPod's were the best MP3 player you'd get that one guy in the group who would insist on buying a Creative Zen just to be different and not follow fashion.

Everyone would get a Play Station, they'd get an Atari Jaguar. Everyone had Nike they'd buy DC trainers. Everyone liked Transformers and they'd watch Gobots. Iphone - Android. It's not better just different and quite possibly worse*.

And so goes Half Life.

*Note - if I go Android now I do so for financial reasons I do not like the premium Apple are insisting upon, it renders the tariff market (if not the phones) uncompetitive. But I accept OS5 is likely to better than Droid 4.0.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Halo was a masterpiece.

+3 to that, I'm refusing to upgrade my PC until HL3 has a release date.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    DonDaddyD wrote:

lol... You've just lost all credibility on gaming matters with that one sentence... Did you even play Half-life or the sequels? They set the bar for FPS single player for years, and their mods (CS, CS:S, TF, TF2 etc) are some of the most popular FPS online multiplayer games ever made.

The Halflife spin offs Portal and Portal 2 were pretty awesome in their own right. Portal 2 was witty, hilarious and challenging. The coop mode was a brilliant addition that doubled the lifespan, and the DLC has been great too.

I haven't played a great deal of Halo because the only way to enjoyably play an FPS is with a keyboard and mouse, imho.

Halflife for the socially stunted, lol! Whats that even supposed to mean?
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Pandas? Really? I'm looking forward to everything but the pandas and the naff asian theme.
    The monk class looks interesting though! No auto attack, might actually make DPS interesting.

Lol... that'll be the day :D

DPS in PvP is fun, but so, so dull in PvE. But yeah, sounds interesting, as much as another hybrid can...

Whats your class/role preference?

Well... I have a tank (paladin), a healer (shaman), an afflock and a BM hunter. Favourite is probably the shaman, in PvP (arenas). Hopefully in arena title range this season. Alas, 'main' is the pally so I spend more time raiding than I probably would out of choice!

EDIT: @DDD talking about WoW.

Good luck with the arena title, was never that interested in it myself (i.e. I'm terrible at it). Throughout vanilla and TBC I played an MM hunter, which was lots of fun raiding. Then I levelled a prot warrior, really got to love tanking, and ended up leading raids in the guild so was cemented into that role for a while. Also branched out into Shaman healing and Feral tanking/soloing. Haven't really played for the last year due to other commitments. Its the type of game that demands more time than I should have to spare! I'll definitely play the expansion when it comes round again, not sure which class though. Will depend on how many of my mates get back into the game. Its pretty good socially. Ended up meeting quite a few interesting people though it.
  • Initialised
    notsoblue wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

lol... You've just lost all credibility on gaming matters with that one sentence... Did you even play Half-life or the sequels? They set the bar for FPS single player for years, and their mods (CS, CS:S, TF, TF2 etc) are some of the most popular FPS online multiplayer games ever made.

The Halflife spin offs Portal and Portal 2 were pretty awesome in their own right. Portal 2 was witty, hilarious and challenging. The coop mode was a brilliant addition that doubled the lifespan, and the DLC has been great too.

I haven't played a great deal of Halo because the only way to enjoyably play an FPS is with a keyboard and mouse, imho.

Halflife for the socially stunted, lol! Whats that even supposed to mean?
    You forgot Left4Dead the singularly the best zombie movie ever played, the sequel wasn't bad either. Best coop game I've played.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • notsoblue
    You forgot Left4Dead the singularly the best zombie movie ever played, the sequel wasn't bad either. Best coop game I've played.
    Awesome game! Some really dramatic moments to be had with 4 mates on Skype in the final mad dash for the safe room...

"Guys I'm down! Don't leave me! HELP! DON'T LEEEAAAVVVEEEE MEEEE!!!"
    *SLAM*
    "Its what he would have wanted..."
  • Initialised
    Two excellent teams on versus, less than 100 points in it on the final level all you have to do is get three on to the roof to win it, you know it, they know it, the trap is set, it's either an epic win or an epic fail. Up they come, make the pounce and they've had it, miss and they'll win... the tension that game brought...
  • notsoblue
    Two excellent teams on versus, less than 100 points in it on the final level all you have to do is get three on to the roof to win it, you know it, they know it, the trap is set, it's either an epic win or an epic fail. Up they come, make the pounce and they've had it, miss and they'll win... the tension that game brought...

Brilliant :) Have you played Amnesia? Quite possibly the most scary game I have ever seen. Its amazing, try the demo, its on Steam. Heres a compilation of people shitting themselves... Terrifying.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Got the hardened edition .

Mr postman took his time delivering and it arrived today.

First thoughts, it playS like COD 4 but with great graphics.

One of the attraction to the online game is the interaction with other gamers all over the world.

Never ceases to amaze me, you play against millionaires and some of the poorest in the world, people in tiny flats in Paris or mansions in New York.

You hear crying babies in the back ground, or an L.A mum telling her kid to make his own dinner.

Games, they've come a long way since I played PONG in 1974 in Butlins,Pwllheli.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Initialised
    notsoblue wrote:

Brilliant :) Have you played Amnesia? Quite possibly the most scary game I have ever seen. Its amazing, try the demo, its on Steam. Heres a compilation of people ******** themselves... Terrifying.
    Yes, it's been in my Steam list since launch. Still haven't completed it. Last game I got really hooked on was Supermeatboy.
  • notsoblue wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Pandas? Really? I'm looking forward to everything but the pandas and the naff asian theme.
    The monk class looks interesting though! No auto attack, might actually make DPS interesting.

Lol... that'll be the day :D

DPS in PvP is fun, but so, so dull in PvE. But yeah, sounds interesting, as much as another hybrid can...

Whats your class/role preference?

Well... I have a tank (paladin), a healer (shaman), an afflock and a BM hunter. Favourite is probably the shaman, in PvP (arenas). Hopefully in arena title range this season. Alas, 'main' is the pally so I spend more time raiding than I probably would out of choice!

EDIT: @DDD talking about WoW.

Good luck with the arena title, was never that interested in it myself (i.e. I'm terrible at it). Throughout vanilla and TBC I played an MM hunter, which was lots of fun raiding. Then I levelled a prot warrior, really got to love tanking, and ended up leading raids in the guild so was cemented into that role for a while. Also branched out into Shaman healing and Feral tanking/soloing. Haven't really played for the last year due to other commitments. Its the type of game that demands more time than I should have to spare! I'll definitely play the expansion when it comes round again, not sure which class though. Will depend on how many of my mates get back into the game. Its pretty good socially. Ended up meeting quite a few interesting people though it.

I've become obsessed with PvP, I really have. It's just so much more dynamic than a PvE environment. And it helps that my PvP buddy is the chap I'm sort of seeing right now. He knew what side his bread was buttered when he first said 'hey do you know what an arena is?' Dammit. And thanks! I'm not talking glad or anything big, but the shammy's only been 75 since july so I'm quietly pleased...

Raiding feels like a job, have to do it to keep the kids (read: friends from pub) happy... And because otherwise the poor Pally (1st max-level toon) would languish in Stormwind doing nowt. Really hope we get the current Big Baddy down soon!
  • DonDaddyD
    DDD wrote:
    And
    notsoblue wrote:
    the only way to enjoyably play an FPS is with a keyboard and mouse, imho.

Um, yeah, stand by what I said.

What I had on my Atari ST 520 (upgraded 1040 - lol those were the days.)
    tumblr_l1utxs3fKD1qznh0oo1_500.jpg
    Food Chain number = 4

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I can't seem to care about any MMORPGs yet. They all seem to be lacking any sort of depth. I cut my teeth on text games. I'm only 30, it feels like I'm saying that I was playing on a typewriter and having new scenes delivered on parchment by carrier pigeon.
    Poor ol' Quad Core, 8GB RAM, SSD and GeForce 480 is being wasted on forums and I've not even taken LA Noire out of the wrapper; still only get around to playing SSF4 with a Tournament Ed Arcade Stick.
    Must try harder.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DDD wrote:
    And
    notsoblue wrote:
    the only way to enjoyably play an FPS is with a keyboard and mouse, imho.

Um, yeah, stand by what I said.

What I had on my Atari ST 520 (upgraded 1040 - lol those were the days.)
    tumblr_l1utxs3fKD1qznh0oo1_500.jpg

Original Halo was just dire. Seriously, having used a keyboard and mouse I really couldn't comprehend how anyone was able to play an FPS with the clunky POS that was the Xbox controller. Someone was shooting me and I wanted to whirl around and shoot them back. Whirl? No, you must move at a uniform speed and there will be no jump and crouch/check around you/strafe left/turn right/shoot anymore. And gaming geeks/socially stunted. You played Star Trek Online, get off that horse!
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DonDaddyD
    dhope wrote:
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I can't seem to care about any MMORPGs yet. They all seem to be lacking any sort of depth.
    Wrong, wrong wrong. In someways ithey have too much depth. So much depth it would make things easier if the other half also played the game.

Find the genre (Fantasy, Space, Shooter etc or Franchise (like StarWars, Star Trek, WoW, Battlestar Galactica)

Then there seems to be a process:

Leveling (lvl). This is the grind to the top level. You carry out missions which take you through the story within the game to level. During this process you'll develop your characters abilities (just like any game really).

Farming. As you level you'll probably pick up a trade/craft and have to literally scour the gaming World to find materials to craft items within your given trade. My Cleric in Rift for example kills in-game animals for their hides and bones and mines precious metals in order to make armour.

Trading. Items that you can make by crafting or loot from tombs, caves, dungeons, wormholes, nebula can usually be bought and sold in a auction or player exchange for in-game currency. Other ways of making money are beating villians, completing missions, wining PvP - this varies from game to game. Items can also be traded between players directly.

Bank. Place where you can store stuff, if you're a member of a guild you can store stuff in the Guild Bank making it available to all Guild members and visa versa.

Guild. Group of players who form a team. Great for organising raids, team ups and PvP IMHO. Also really does increase the social aspect of the game.

PvP. Player versus Player can be done in arena's or even the gaming World. I'm learning more about PvP as this was easily avoided in Star Trek but Rift encourages you to do it. - PvP items in Rift are the best.

Raids. A team of players playing through a group mission. Usually within an instanced Dungeon (so seperate from the wider gaming World but part of the game).

You get to top level and then the real game begins (End-Game) All the best missions, group raids and PvP missions/arenas are at the End-Game. To succeed you need the best items, which are only available to top level characters. Some games like Rift require you to be at the top level and have built a reputation with the vendor that is selling your weapons. Could mean more missions or more PvP.

Respec. You may also find that your Sword swinging character was amazing when leveling but is useless at the top level, especially when playing against other players (PvP) so you go online to the forums to look at the best spec for your character type and you redistribute skill points gained as you leveled.

Was rinse and repeat with the other character classes.

And play with the promise that the game is still being developed, which means more missions being added with a measure of frequency (maybe even monthly), new in-game Worlds, lands, sectors being added along with new items and bad guys to beat. So the game never really gets old. This is how something like Warcraft has been around for 6 years or so and players reckon it's got another 10. Not only do they add new content but they change the in-game mechanics. I believe Warcraft launched a whole new development system despite having a previous system for years that worked.

Lasly and for me there are the Global Events, which is playable by everyone in the game of all levels. Champions Online (despite not being an overall fan) had the best I've experienced so far. The entire gaming World was invaded by a Lich King of cosmic status and his hordes of Zombies and Demons could be found and fought everywhere. There was no point doing any missions except this (you could still level). It read and played like a proper comic book event where all the characters within the fictional Universe team up to beat that one mega bad guy who could destroy the planet. Awesome stuff.

A GeForce 480, chapeau! Out of my budget that!

Phew.... got a little tired there towards the end....lol
    Food Chain number = 4