CoD MW3 anyone got it yet?

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    dhope wrote:
    Original Halo was just dire. Seriously, having used a keyboard and mouse I really couldn't comprehend how anyone was able to play an FPS with the clunky POS that was the Xbox controller. Someone was shooting me and I wanted to whirl around and shoot them back. Whirl? No, you must move at a uniform speed and there will be no jump and crouch/check around you/strafe left/turn right/shoot anymore. And gaming geeks/socially stunted. You played Star Trek Online, get off that horse!

LoL!!!!

That last level was the stuff of gaming gods, though!

Made better because the Warthog didn't drive properly.

One of the best last levels of any game I've played ever. IMHO.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    MMORPGs seem to much like real life.

Farmers, traders, banks, guilds?

Christ.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I can't seem to care about any MMORPGs yet. They all seem to be lacking any sort of depth.
    Wrong, wrong wrong. In someways ithey have too much depth. So much depth it would make things easier if the other half also played the game.

Find the genre (Fantasy, Space, Shooter etc or Franchise (like StarWars, Star Trek, WoW, Battlestar Galactica)

Then there seems to be a process:

Leveling (lvl). This is the grind to the top level. You carry out missions which take you through the story within the game to level. During this process you'll develop your characters abilities (just like any game really).

Farming. As you level you'll probably pick up a trade/craft and have to literally scour the gaming World to find materials to craft items within your given trade. My Cleric in Rift for example kills in-game animals for their hides and bones and mines precious metals in order to make armour.

Trading. Items that you can make by crafting or loot from tombs, caves, dungeons, wormholes, nebula can usually be bought and sold in a auction or player exchange for in-game currency. Other ways of making money are beating villians, completing missions, wining PvP - this varies from game to game. Items can also be traded between players directly.

Bank. Place where you can store stuff, if you're a member of a guild you can store stuff in the Guild Bank making it available to all Guild members and visa versa.

Guild. Group of players who form a team. Great for organising raids, team ups and PvP IMHO. Also really does increase the social aspect of the game.

PvP. Player versus Player can be done in arena's or even the gaming World. I'm learning more about PvP as this was easily avoided in Star Trek but Rift encourages you to do it. - PvP items in Rift are the best.

Raids. A team of players playing through a group mission. Usually within an instanced Dungeon (so seperate from the wider gaming World but part of the game).

You get to top level and then the real game begins (End-Game) All the best missions, group raids and PvP missions/arenas are at the End-Game. To succeed you need the best items, which are only available to top level characters. Some games like Rift require you to be at the top level and have built a reputation with the vendor that is selling your weapons. Could mean more missions or more PvP.

Respec. You may also find that your Sword swinging character was amazing when leveling but is useless at the top level, especially when playing against other players (PvP) so you go online to the forums to look at the best spec for your character type and you redistribute skill points gained as you leveled.

Was rinse and repeat with the other character classes.

And play with the promise that the game is still being developed, which means more missions being added with a measure of frequency (maybe even monthly), new in-game Worlds, lands, sectors being added along with new items and bad guys to beat. So the game never really gets old. This is how something like Warcraft has been around for 6 years or so and players reckon it's got another 10. Not only do they add new content but they change the in-game mechanics. I believe Warcraft launched a whole new development system despite having a previous system for years that worked.

Lasly and for me there are the Global Events, which is playable by everyone in the game of all levels. Champions Online (despite not being an overall fan) had the best I've experienced so far. The entire gaming World was invaded by a Lich King of cosmic status and his hordes of Zombies and Demons could be found and fought everywhere. There was no point doing any missions except this (you could still level). It read and played like a proper comic book event where all the characters within the fictional Universe team up to beat that one mega bad guy who could destroy the planet. Awesome stuff.

A GeForce 480, chapeau! Out of my budget that!

Phew.... got a little tired there towards the end....lol

See I got all this from text games, was head of guilds, cities, orders. Would have industries to run, shops to stock, wars to fight, raids to lead. Would have to coordinate times to have the tanks and thieves to barge/pick doors, mages to portal in and dispel defences once inside, healers on hand, ships manned to sail away the goodies. Naturally to build the ships you had to have your citizens building up resources and processing them which may take a while too. Months of work building up a relationship with the other players and immortals to get to a position where you were trusted with the city purse. Pursue one skillset too strongly and you might find yourself suddenly wide open to a far lesser skilled person with a particular combination of skills that'd exploit a weakness. And PvP - of course, I'd never play any online game that wasn't.

So when I say not enough depth it's because I've seen all the things you mentioned above but WoW seems too superficial. I expect that there's more depth than I give credit, same as those that have only played WoW would dismiss the online RPGs that it came from.
    I also think WoW is too big to feel like I'd ever have any real impact. Just 1 top level paladin of 100,000. Maybe in the top 10k if I really get good.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    coriordan on ps3. Basically its identivcal as MW2 online so pretty disappointed there.

BF3 was pretty awesome, just the screen was sooo hectic
  • xbox 360 : Gamer Tag - Helix Raster

I'm bashing through MW3 at the moment, I never used to get the whole 'gaming' thing, I've had a Mega Drive (remember them, its still in my loft!), PS1,2, a Wii and the borowed an old xbox elite from a mate when me and the wife split as she took the Wii. I played Halo and Halo 2, then bought a 360 slim, and played Halo 3 and then Halo:Reach, they are awesome, and I finaly 'got' it. I've done MW, MW2and Black Ops and think they are spectacular.

My normal play plan is to do the game on campaign at normal level then get online for a few weeks. At that point I'll then go back and play the Campaign through at the higher levels and do all the acheivments. I like that and you get a lot more out of it than just beasting on the online play.

I'll set up another thread for xbox gamer tags.... will be easier to see whats going on rather than picking the bones out of this thread. Does somebody who made the mistake of buying a PS3 (lights blue touch paper and steps back..... :lol: ) want to set up a PS3 one?
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • MW1+2 i got well over a year of gameplay out of them but getting bored with 3 already and already started the griefing :oops:
  • DonDaddyD
    dhope wrote:

See I got all this from text games, was head of guilds, cities, orders. Would have industries to run, shops to stock, wars to fight, raids to lead. Would have to coordinate times to have the tanks and thieves to barge/pick doors, mages to portal in and dispel defences once inside, healers on hand, ships manned to sail away the goodies. Naturally to build the ships you had to have your citizens building up resources and processing them which may take a while too. Months of work building up a relationship with the other players and immortals to get to a position where you were trusted with the city purse. Pursue one skillset too strongly and you might find yourself suddenly wide open to a far lesser skilled person with a particular combination of skills that'd exploit a weakness. And PvP - of course, I'd never play any online game that wasn't.

So when I say not enough depth it's because I've seen all the things you mentioned above but WoW seems too superficial. I expect that there's more depth than I give credit, same as those that have only played WoW would dismiss the online RPGs that it came from.
    I also think WoW is too big to feel like I'd ever have any real impact. Just 1 top level paladin of 100,000. Maybe in the top 10k if I really get good.

But dude your wasting your Geforce, I just zoomed in on the board to look at the chipset and ram, processor. I got a little excited, it's amazing how graphics cards look like slightly smaller fully laid out motherboards these days... - geek.

Still, I get everything you're saying and I read it with true awe and respect. It's just that Rift, WoW are like that but with graphics.

Also WoW isn't the only Dungeon and Dragons, Willow, ElderScrolls type fantasy game with Orcs, Ogres, Dwarves, Elves, horses and axes et al. Conan, Vindictus, Cryptic are making a D&D game, Rift (which I think is amazing) all fall within that Genre.

Go on... give it a try, the MMORPG World misses you.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • My copy of Skyrim landed on my work desk a couple of hours ago.

I think I need to get ill, so I can go home and recover. It's got the alchemy and enchanting of Oblivion, but now there is smithing, smelting and tanning thrown in as well (so you can make your own armour...) plus cooking

Oh, and now we hire people... great someone else to get in the way (which is all that happened in Fallout 3)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    If any of you use steam, I saw an article saying they'd been hacked this morning.

http://www.gamereplays.org/dota2/portal ... _id=840350
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Half Life was for gaming geeks and the somewhat socially stunted.

You could argue that all games are for the socially stunted. Especially WoW, think I lost a year of my life to this :cry: Anyway Half-life did have an awesome online community which went massive when Team Fortress and Counterstrike mods came along.

I'm torn between Skyrim and COD, played COD since day 1 and feel like I need a change. Suppose either way I won't see the Mrs or my friends for a few weeks! :mrgreen:
  • @dhope For WoW, it's cut down in to servers. I was top 5 paladins on my server in the last expansion, and probably still top 15 this expansion, despite an ever-increasing PvP focus. Worldwide, who knows. It's all about the size of the pond.

And all the admin etc. stuff you mention is why I'd never, never ever take on a role with any responsibility in-game. It's meant to be leisure, damn it.

As for hidden depths, this may be all greek to you, but 2011's worldwide arena finals ($75,000 prize): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17YbN6BV7l4
  • dhope
    @dhope For WoW, it's cut down in to servers. I was top 5 paladins on my server in the last expansion, and probably still top 15 this expansion, despite an ever-increasing PvP focus. Worldwide, who knows. It's all about the size of the pond.

And all the admin etc. stuff you mention is why I'd never, never ever take on a role with any responsibility in-game. It's meant to be leisure, damn it.

As for hidden depths, this may be all greek to you, but 2011's worldwide arena finals ($75,000 prize): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17YbN6BV7l4

See I liked the responsibility, added depth and I enjoyed out-manoeuvring someone over the course of weeks or months. Did make dropping it tough. Find my successor, train them up, make sure they're not a cock. At least that's what happened first time I quit the game, the last time I just resigned all positions and left because nobody was worth the effort training :roll:

Can't get YouTube at work. Are you talking about Leroy Jenkins? :wink:
    (Will watch from phone at lunch)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • suzyb
    Do you ever actually just battle people and try and destroy their base or kill them in these games.
  • dhope
    Oh and you people owe me money, I've just bought Fifa 12 and CoD MW3 this morning thanks to this thread.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    dhope wrote:
    Oh and you people owe me money, I've just bought Fifa 12 and CoD MW3 this morning thanks to this thread.
    Hehheh. My amazon browsing time has shot up since this thread started. May have to start squeezing triggers soon ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    dhope wrote:

At last - someone else mentions FIFA... :)

Enjoy - it's a cracker.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • DonDaddyD
    LiT let me know if you ever try out Rift. (Icewatch Server).

I'll let you know now the majority of my characters are female.

Nothing beats a hot looking female elf...
    Food Chain number = 4

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756

Christ.

If you're involved in the running of a raiding guild it can seem too much like a having a job to be honest. Trying to organise 10-25 people to be at their computers and ready to all play at the same time for 3-4 hours a couple times a week takes the patience of a saint.

Do you spectate much WoW arena? I tried during Blizzcon but just couldn't really follow what was going on, despite knowing all the classes quite well. I also got the impression the casters didn't have a clue either. A bit too chaotic for me. The live Starcraft 2 casting at Blizzcon was quite a contrast. It has become a pretty successful e-sport for spectators with recognisable teams and professional players, I think it has mileage.

Series of games between two well known players: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBXSO0xwHzo
    Complex game mechanics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdBb4fW6_NA
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    notsoblue wrote:

Christ.

If you're involved in the running of a raiding guild it can seem too much like a having a job to be honest. Trying to organise 10-25 people to be at their computers and ready to all play at the same time for 3-4 hours a couple times a week takes the patience of a saint.

I used to raid to high level on a US server (stopped just before they opened the tournment grounds in icecrown) and to be honest it was easy to get the yanks to turn up getting them stay focused for 4 hours was the pain. 3v3 arena was alot of fun as a burst dps mage mage build but you basically had one shot to wipe someone out then had to switch to chain cc on the healer.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • notsoblue wrote:

Do you spectate much WoW arena? I tried during Blizzcon but just couldn't really follow what was going on, despite knowing all the classes quite well. I also got the impression the casters didn't have a clue either. A bit too chaotic for me. The live Starcraft 2 casting at Blizzcon was quite a contrast. It has become a pretty successful e-sport for spectators with recognisable teams and professional players, I think it has mileage.

Series of games between two well known players: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBXSO0xwHzo
    Complex game mechanics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdBb4fW6_NA

I do, I find it helps me play better.

The trouble is, it's very fast paced at high levels, even at low levels! They use a lot of jargon in the commentary, and if you don't do a lot of arena yourself it's hard to follow. If they're at Blizzcon Invitational level and getting paid tens of thousands of dollars per match, you can bet they know what they're doing! Once you've wrapped your head around it it's incredibly exciting! And snutz, pooks and toez are very well-known, and jungyup the hunter is a new wow celebrity! Arena's basically been fixed in Cata from Wrath's one-shot deaths - health pools are far bigger and games run longer.

Watched the two videos you linked, and I have to say they just don't do anything for me. I mean no offense to Starcraft, but it was really rather dull! I've never enjoyed games where you're controlling an army rather than just an avatar. Even the GTA where you had to make a gang was the last GTA I played.

@suzy are you talking WoW? If so yes! But there are many people, and many bases, 2 factions.
  • suzyb
    I was talking more general MMORPGs / RPGs. They seem to be taking over the world and I don't really understand what you actually do in them that's different from say an RTS.

(admittedly I haven't really investigated)
  • notsoblue
    Watched the two videos you linked, and I have to say they just don't do anything for me. I mean no offense to Starcraft, but it was really rather dull! I've never enjoyed games where you're controlling an army rather than just an avatar. Even the GTA where you had to make a gang was the last GTA I played.
    Thats fair enough, I guess if you don't have an initial interest in something it can seem dull. SC2 is like chess, played real time with 50 odd different types of pieces and a resource system to balance. It has a pretty steep learning curve, and is hard to master so watching the Grand Masters (top 200 in NA, EU or SEA) duke it out is pretty impressive if you play it yourself. Never felt the same about WoW PvP, though high level PvE would be quite intriguing if encounters didn't take so long and were so repetitive...
    suzyb wrote:
    I was talking more general MMORPGs / RPGs. They seem to be taking over the world and I don't really understand what you actually do in them that's different from say an RTS.

An RTS (Real Time Strategy, like SC2) game involves controlling a groups of units (from a handful to hundreds) and managing resources for unit production. An RPG generally involves playing through a storyline type of game, building up skills as you go to develop a single character, its your Avatar. In an MMORPG you play through the game in a persistent world inhabited by other real people also developing their avatars.The focus is usually on team play. In WoW you can team up with 5, 10 or 25 other players to defeat content together (PvE, Players vs Environment) or to defeat other players on opposing factions (PvP, Player vs Player). Thats very basic, theres much more to it. You should give it a whirl if you fancy it, I think WoW is free for the first 20 levels now?
  • suzyb
    notsoblue wrote:
    An RTS (Real Time Strategy, like SC2) game involves controlling a groups of units (from a handful to hundreds) and managing resources for unit production. An RPG generally involves playing through a storyline type of game, building up skills as you go to develop a single character, its your Avatar. In an MMORPG you play through the game in a persistent world inhabited by other real people also developing their avatars.The focus is usually on team play. In WoW you can team up with 5, 10 or 25 other players to defeat content together (PvE, Players vs Environment) or to defeat other players on opposing factions (PvP, Player vs Player). Thats very basic, theres much more to it. You should give it a whirl if you fancy it, I think WoW is free for the first 20 levels now?
    Thanks.

I always wondered cause I do a bit of coding on a gaming site and recently RTS games seem to have taken a back burner to RPGs and MMORPGs.
  • notsoblue
    suzyb wrote:
    Thanks.

I always wondered cause I do a bit of coding on a gaming site and recently RTS games seem to have taken a back burner to RPGs and MMORPGs.
    Well not really actually, Starcraft 2 is the most popular RTS at the moment, and it sold 4.5 million units in the first 6 months. The games market is so huge and diverse at the moment that theres plenty of room for RTS, RPG and MMORPGs that sell millions of copies.

The big thing in MMORPGs at the moment appears to be going to free to play, rather than the more traditional subscription model (WoW is about £12 for three months).
  • It is indeed free to L20.... Alas it's not quite as cheap as you think after that! Not far off though I think.

WoW has around 10m players worldwide from a peak of 12m.
  • suzyb
    notsoblue wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    Thanks.

Well not really actually, Starcraft 2 is the most popular RTS at the moment, and it sold 4.5 million units in the first 6 months. The games market is so huge and diverse at the moment that theres plenty of room for RTS, RPG and MMORPGs that sell millions of copies.

The big thing in MMORPGs at the moment appears to be going to free to play, rather than the more traditional subscription model (WoW is about £12 for three months).
    Yeah, the site kinda missed the SC2 bandwagon so not really getting in on that action :wink:
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    rebs wrote:
    I'm sticking with BF3 for the moment.... on the PS3. 360? pfftt

I'm playing BF3. On a PC. FPS on a console? LOL WUT? :P
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • notsoblue
    Agent57 wrote:
    rebs wrote:

Careful now, thats socially stunted talk...
  • suzyb
    Well that was short. First playthrough of the campaign complete in 5 hours :?
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Agent57 wrote:
    rebs wrote:

+1 why pay £10 more for worse graphics, worse gameplay and a worse online experience?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.