Who hit this place with the Ugly Stick?

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Moan moan moan you lot are like a bunch of old women.

Bloody MAMILS :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    edited November 2011
    deleted - found the post I wanted: see below
  • josnor wrote:
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    ETA: that fark ing feature that stops you posting on the first go if someone has got in first is *really* getting on my tits.

ETA(2): FCUK ME! It's done it again!
    I disabled that feature an hour or so ago. Not sure if it's a caching issue or whether I have to change something else.

Edit 1: someone try to post while I am
    I fixed it :)

no you've not, still there in Chrome
  • anyone know how it formats on a netbook?

On a netbook and it was pretty chunkified at first but reducing the browser zoom level fixes that.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • I used to be a member on a forum that kept its 'free' forums with ads and no charges.

But you could subscribe to the forum for £15 a year and see no ads - and you got a private members only section which could be quite entertaining until all the regular decamped to the private area and the public sections became places where you ended up with lots of idiots trolling each other.

Overall, I don't mind it - quite like the different shades in the quotes - except for the mid-thread ads. Top and bottom - OK. In the middle is horribly offputting.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    northstar wrote:
    anyone know how it formats on a netbook?

On a netbook and it was pretty chunkified at first but reducing the browser zoom level fixes that.

Hm, Firefox lets you zoom just the text. That's pretty handy and makes the forum look a bit less 'special'
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Just logged in at home.

It's a bit BLUE, isn't it?

Ok, that jest aside, the bold headings for *each* post seem a bit unnecessary.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • dhope wrote:
    northstar wrote:
    anyone know how it formats on a netbook?

Hm, Firefox lets you zoom just the text. That's pretty handy and makes the forum look a bit less 'special'

ok, but I don't run FF on my netbook.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Now i'm home I like it, i like it alot
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    edited November 2011
    Just logged in on the netbook running firefox with a certain plugin that shall not be mentioned and have to say it looks great whilst viewing threads. The forum index is still a bit hard on the eyes though, needs a bit more open space in it I reckon.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    thegibdog wrote:
    The forum index is still a bit hard on the eyes though, needs a bit more open space in it I reckon.

Yep.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,344
    Forum looks like sh!t......but I find myself pondering the purchase of a Subaru...
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Meh. I think it looks ok, and I hate change.
    FF with a couple of extensions (seriously, how do people browse without turning off animated GIFs [prefbar] or making flash optional [flashblock]?) including the extension which shall not be named.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Wow, had a google for a certain unamed FF ad on and this place is suddenly 100x nicer to look at. Still needs to make the most of larger screens (did the old one?!), its a bit squished together and a needs less blue on blue on blue.
  • i like the phpbb v3 default look, but if you ever need a theme building :lol:
  • Greg66 wrote:
    I'm detecting a strong correlation between those on the bleeding heart liberal to foaming Commie end of the spectrum and those who claim to like this new forum look.

I should have guessed. I really should've. LiTs would have hated it, I'm certain.

I think I might need glasses after reading this thread. I assume bikeradar will pay for them with that ill-gained ad revenue?

Seriously, Jeff and co, here's a helpful link for you, because I think there's been some massive communication issue:

http://tinyurl.com/6mqksm4
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Threads like this make me sad :(

Don't worry devs...there are some here who understand what has been upgraded and appreciate your efforts.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Just looked at the forum in IE9 and I see what everyone's complaining about. FF+Addons+proper sized text and I prefer it to the old layout though
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • I just switched my ''ad off'' add-on off just to see what people have been complaining about. And I switched it straight back on. Unsubtle advertising really is counter productive when it drives people to block all of them.

Once within a thread, the forum works and it looks fine to me. I haven't got used to the look of the list of threads yet - I find myself looking at it without seeing anything. It feels cold and clunky.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,373
    cjcp wrote:
    thegibdog wrote:
    The forum index is still a bit hard on the eyes though, needs a bit more open space in it I reckon.

Yep.

Seems to be a comment that's coming up a lot.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Much better now I'm at home and using Firefox. I might get the unmentionable thing everybody's mentioned. Using ie6 at work is really frustrating. I need to keep it as I use a look up programme that only works on 6 and IT won't let me run 2 browsers.
  • looks much like some other Forums I assume it's the same underlying software.

it is a tad clunky and can't say I care for the adverts in the middle they are a little jarring I have blocked them for the moment though.

regarding IE not working right? well if it followed even vaguely the standards this wouldn't be a problem. I agree it's a pain if it's a work pc and you lumbered with IE6 but that isn't really bikeradars problem as such.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Well, its definitely faster than the old one. And is it just me or is the frequency of the adds lower now? I.e. instead of every 5 posts this morning its now 10?

Whatever, you're all still here as its the content that makes the biggest difference and I'm starting to adjust to the presentation.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Agree with the others who say it's very blue

It looks alright on the iPad, but I don't know of any way of preventing promotional material in between posts, nothing flash turns up, which is the first time I have found this a bonus. :wink:

It's a bit of a primary colour that isn't red or green

While I'm sure Garmin are happy with all my clicks to their add, could someone tell them I'm not interested and the little page numbers at the bottom right to click on, are too small and close to the advert?

It has too many of one colour from the music the deep south

Or could we have a bit of a fat finger buffer zone for iPad/tablet/smartphone users please?

It's not very cheerful, I'm feeling a little depressed, down in the dumps may be?

For some reason the spelling check isn't working on my iPad.

It's too frigging BLUE

Oh, and "huge" text isn't that huge :(
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • [Tim]
    [Tim] Posts: 64
    So it appears messages with helpful URLs are being deleted but the viewing experience can be significantly improved in firefox with a simple add in.

still looks a bit blue though.
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    Adverts adverts everywhere :(

Sure - upgrade to meet capacity, but why get so greedy with the Google Ad revenue?
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Much better now I'm at home and using Firefox. I might get the unmentionable thing everybody's mentioned. Using ie6 at work is really frustrating. I need to keep it as I use a look up programme that only works on 6 and IT won't let me run 2 browsers.

You deserve a hug and a bottle of champagne for *having* to keep working in ie6

Jeff - what % of viewers still use ie6?
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Veronese68 wrote:

You deserve a hug and a bottle of champagne for *having* to keep working in ie6

Jeff - what % of viewers still use ie6?

IE7 doesn't work either, I may have said it before

IE7 DOESN'T WORK EITHER

I had to fish around in the big blue emptiness to find the reply to button ahhhh here it comes..
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Ads in the middle of threads is seriously annoying. Its like browsing an American site and looks very money grabbing. The actual forum is OK. It will take a little getting used to, but its not a major issue and its not as hard to navigate as LFGSS (which I just can't get my head around, despite being told how good it is once you get used to it).

I think the look needs tweaking, but once the stupid number of ads is reduced and its realised that blue is not the only colour, then we'll look at the site as it was last month and think how old fashioned it looks.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Phew!

At least DDD functionality is intact......
    Extensive testing happened before launch, seems to be the only thing the devs got right!

ETA:

"You may only embed 3 quotes within each other" What the fuck*? What fucking** genius hired the nazi who came up with that idea!!!

*/** I'm testing the swear filter now.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game