Who hit this place with the Ugly Stick?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    OK, own up. Who's used the 'foe' function??
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,373

Was just wondering who on earth would actively want to register their dislike of someone on a forum :?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:

Was just wondering who on earth would actively want to register their dislike of someone on a forum :?

Err *hits 'foe' button*.

No comment.

Only joking..
  • notsoblue wrote:
    pst88 wrote:
    I'm willing to give the new layout a try. It might just take some getting used to. Sorry to say the mid thread ads are too much for me. That could be the deciding factor for me to go elsewhere.

Mid-thread ads are a very bad idea. People will either leave or just take measures to make sure they don't see them.

Exactly! Mind you, I can't see these ads anyway.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:

Err *hits 'foe' button*.

No comment.

Only joking..

Hey, us bleeding heart liberals need to stick together!
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I quite like it, it feels snappy! Well done, and glad it's back : )) That's the main thing
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756

What does the Foe button actually do?
  • rick_chasey
    notsoblue wrote:

Jeff Jones?

I have no idea.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    A forum is a forum is a forum. they all look a bit different and you get used to them. Most upgrades are for technical reasons anyway not aesthetics.

Stop moaning and give the techies a chance. I'm once its settled down they will pretty it up a bit (even if it is applying lipstick to a pig :lol: ).

I like the fact subforums are all 1 click accessable from front page.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    notsoblue wrote:

Jeff Jones?

I have no idea.

Ah, its basically an ignore list. It replaces their posts with a stub that allows you to show the full post when you can stomach it.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Weird, I couldn't see that last post by NSB, just showed a stub...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Greys out the contributions of people you don't like so that (presumably) to are not reduced to towering pillars of apopletic rage everytime certain people post :D

Just think of the possibilities! If you were a really grumpy sod you could foe everyone and (at least in your view) be able to run skipping through the daisies of a huge forum just for yourself.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • SimonAH
    @Jeff the Editor;

Possible to have the 'who's browsing the forum' banner back? I quite liked that.

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Managed to get my avatar back (I think). Do a Google images search for "bike radar" and your username. Then save the image to your PC then upload it back to the website. Bit of a pain but not too hard to achieve.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Firefox 7.0.1 with Ad-Block gets rid of the adverts and it looks fine. Dolphin HD Browser on my Android phone will not display unless you click on it so again no adverts.

Happy with that.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH wrote:
    @Jeff the Editor;

Possible to have the 'who's browsing the forum' banner back? I quite liked that.

*edit* Just seen it relocated to the bottom of the page from the top.

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    We'll get it to work in IE7
    Does that mean this is what the forums will look like permanently.
    No - we can change the design (I'd like to see it look something like the old BR forums). But we didn't want to do that on top of the upgrade as it meant more things could potentially go wrong.
    Cool.

Default forum skins tend to make those forums look a bit amateurish.

(hey I spelt amateurish correctly without needing to look it up)
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Sketchley wrote:
    Firefox 7.0.1 with Ad-Block gets rid of the adverts and it looks fine.

Added :D
  • rjsterry
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Managed to get my avatar back (I think). Do a Google images search for "bike radar" and your username. Then save the image to your PC then upload it back to the website. Bit of a pain but not too hard to achieve.

I managed to find mine, but fancied a change anyway. @suzyb:'forum skins' - that's an unfortunate bit of jargon doncha think?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    rjsterry wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:

I managed to find mine, but fancied a change anyway. @suzyb:'forum skins' - that's an unfortunate bit of jargon doncha think?
    ummm no :?

What am I missing?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    MY EYES :shock: *

*I'm not old nor do I need glasses!!
  • SimonAH
    suzyb wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:

What am I missing?
    Best response ever! :D:D:D:D:D:D

• rjsterry
    SimonAH wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

What am I missing?
    Best response ever! :D:D:D:D:D:D

That's me told :lol:

Ooh, and you can now only embed up to 3 levels of quotes, so no more silly quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote with one line added at the bottom. Worth it in itself I'd say.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Change is dangerous :(
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Made a few tweaks in Firefox and it's fine for me now. I'm no fan of change, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. At least it's back, which will motivate me to get back on the bike a bit more.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Argh, I've also got the grey-blue box on the right hand side of the screen. I can only see half of what other people have written and half of what I'm typing. So any typos should be excused :wink:

I've also go the thread title in large text underneath the reply box, one word per line, and a few other random lumps of colour of text scattered about the place.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Jeff Jones wrote:
    ToeKnee wrote:
    At least it's back ... progress of the upgrade (?) was not communicated very well at all.
    There were announcements posted in every forum. Unfortunately we couldn't update those last week after the initial attempt to restart the forum because ... we couldn't post on the forum.
    However, there was a whole website where updates could have gone. I did keep checking there as the announcements had said Thursday as the target date.

I can cope with the layout (did anyone seriously do an accessibility audit on it, though?), and some of the bells and whistles look useful; but personally, the intrusiveness of the adverts is likely to drive me away (perhaps no great loss to everyone).

There are plenty of similar forums which are not as interrupted. The same happened when some ezines I subscribed to went to inline adverts - I lost the will to live trawling through them - I no longer bother. What makes these adverts worse is the animation. I can block them at home, but I have no control over the work computers I use at lunch.

There will be others who will stay, and I dare say the community will evolve, but that doesn't mean the current users will persevere, as long as they can get their social "hit" elsewhere (e.g. CC, YACF, LFGSS, or even CTC :shock: ).
  • And will you lot stop posting while I am typing!

I had to submit that last one 4 times before the forum would let me post - each time someone had posted between times and I flicked away to do some work when I thought the post had been subitted (only for it to get held up again because of MORE new posts).
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Lordy - I am not coming here again, to bright and shiny. I prefer the shabby chic look of the old forum.....

@Jeff - can you beat the forum up a bit, relic it - make it look a bit less shiny and new?
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Lordy - I am not coming here again, to bright and shiny. I prefer the shabby chic look of the old forum.....

@Jeff - can you beat the forum up a bit, relic it - make it look a bit less shiny and new?
    Distress it you mean? You lot are doing quite a good job of that :wink:

Trying to see if I can get the 'review posting 'cos someone else has posted' either turned off or at least made optional.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports