Comments

• Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    We'll get it to work in IE7
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • 61Sigs
    61Sigs Posts: 71
    I'm viewing it using Safari and it looks fine. I'm just ignoring the adds.
    Epic FSR for the real stuff
    Hardrock Sport utility bike
    Boardman CX Team
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    When I look at a thread I have to scroll down loads before I get to anything, about the height of 3 screens. I was looking at the list of threads and tried to click on the Christmas party thread and it disappeared, along with about 2/3s of the others. I have to use ie6 fro work so that probably doesn't help.
    I've finished my sandwiches so I might do some work and have a look from home tonight.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I've actually had to turn down my screen settings (brightness and colour) as the site was giving me a headache.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Veronese68 wrote:
    When I look at a thread I have to scroll down loads before I get to anything, about the height of 3 screens. I was looking at the list of threads and tried to click on the Christmas party thread and it disappeared, along with about 2/3s of the others. I have to use ie6 fro work so that probably doesn't help.
    I've finished my sandwiches so I might do some work and have a look from home tonight.
    OMG there are still people that use that browser. I thought my boss was just being a PITA telling us to make sure sites work in that.
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    Does that mean this is what the forums will look like permanently.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ah bunch of whingers.

If you don't like ads, there are very easy ways to deal with them.

Where else are you gonna go anyway?

I think it's fine.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,344
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I've actually had to turn down my screen settings (brightness and colour) as the site was giving me a headache.

You're ignoring the 'do some work' option then?

Adds pay for this forum.

I disagree. The Forum generates user traffics which mean advertising space can be sold.

A poor Forum which loses users generates less revenue.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Ah bunch of whingers.

I think it's fine.

+ lots
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Jeff Jones
    suzyb wrote:
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    Does that mean this is what the forums will look like permanently.
    No - we can change the design (I'd like to see it look something like the old BR forums). But we didn't want to do that on top of the upgrade as it meant more things could potentially go wrong.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

You're ignoring the 'do some work' option then?

*Cough* Public sector *cough*
  • magicrichard
    magicrichard Posts: 69
    edited November 2011
    Plenty of ways to deal with the ads, has been mentioned above. PM me for details.

What's disappointing is the lack of dialogue with us before the changes were made.

Presumably it's been done because they can't afford to keep running the forums any more and need to make more money from ads. Are they losing revenue hand over fist from the print versions of the magazine as they insist on publishing half (more than?) the reviews for products online 30 days after the print version, so people have very little reason to buy the magazine occasionally? Couple that with annoying all the people who have subscribed that content is now free on the internet, then you probably have dwindling sales figures.

Failing that, they just made a really daft change and are going to have to feel a bit silly when they eventually put the ads back where they came from!

I get the feeling of a proper community here (despite not posting that often) and believe that the vast majority of us don't want to see it disappear, or have to move elsewhere. Of course things have to change, but why not talk about it openly and properly like grown-ups?

[edit] - I take most of that back - post above from editor suggests they will be putting the design back to something more sensible :)
  • rick_chasey
    Who's made 'friends' yet in their settings? :)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Where the heck did my post go?!

Ok, the big blue mass of nothing has gone now I'm in Firefox.

The link the PMs is a good addition.

My avatar has gone.

The link on the Board Index to the sub-categories is good, but the flashing red things against the topics, not so much.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Have we gone back to the internet circa 1998. Not good
  • cjcp

Just checked this?

What's that about?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • ad revenue is made from page impressions - ie they can say N number of people look at the page that contained banner a or clickthroughs - ie 12 people clicked on banner a and it went to page a.
    the upgrade was necessary because of old software. why they went with the change in location of the adverts will be an internal reason and one that will no doubt be soon discussed again. the ones every 5 threads will likely be earning them more money from the companies in question BUT given they may well all be soon blocked by the people visiting here using adon's etc because they are too much - it may well be working against them in the long run.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rick_chasey
    cjcp wrote:

Just checked this?

What's that about?

You can add 'foes' too?!

Haaah!
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:

Just checked this?

What's that about?

You can add 'foes' too?!

Haaah!

Is this the interweb equivalent of taking a contract out on somebody?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Seriously bad..... screen seems to be full of blue stuff, and cuts off halfway accross.

Please Bikeradar, this was a good, user friendly site, so don't ruin it!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • cjcp
    It's a very busy "Commuting Chat" front page. The old one was better.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Ah bunch of whingers.

I think it's fine.

+ lots

+ lots more.

Looks like problems with the design being broken are to do with the ads being added by the bikeradar developers?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Seems fine to me. Firefox 7 and no ads.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • cjcp
    notsoblue wrote:
    Ah bunch of whingers.

I think it's fine.

+ lots

+ lots more.

Looks like problems with the design being broken are to do with the ads being added by the bikeradar developers?

Nope, the problem with the design is down to the problems with the design. :P

As said above, it's like we've stepped back in time.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Right, I've put my Oakleys on. The Index to Commuting Chat is now a bit easier on the eye.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    Well at least its back !! I've never done so much work !!!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    cjcp wrote:

But its a more modern version of the bb software, with more features?

Luddites, the lot of you :roll: :wink:
  • Topaxci
    Topaxci Posts: 106
    Not fussed by the new look, just can't read half of the screen due to a big blue box in the way
    which I can't get rid of.
    Stuck with IE7 on work PC, looks like I'll have to fine something else to do with my lunch
    breaks until there's a fix.
    Ironically works fine on my Andriod phone (sad smile)
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    This is as much to check that I've now got an avatar as anything else........
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Jeff Jones
    notsoblue wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

But its a more modern version of the bb software, with more features?

Luddites, the lot of you :roll: :wink:
    Uploading attachments (max 256kb), friend/foe - what's not to like? :wink:

The number one priority was upgrading the forum so it was stable. The design can change but that was secondary to making the thing work. And yes, avatars are coming back + it will work with IE7 again
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    A few serious points.

On advertising, I recognise the need for the forum to be at a minimum self sustaining and preferably profitable from a financial perspective. However I think you have made a really bad choice of where to place the equilibrium between serving up adverts and keeping your users (the product you are selling to advertisers) happy.

With this in mind can I commend you to look at INRNG, The Register, FTAlphaville and yorkshire divers for their approach to advertising. Failing that Ve haff ways of blocking adverting content.

the forum index page is not very readable. would some please clip the designer over the head with a cluebat.