Still in shorts?

Comments

• Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Think I got it right this morning although left a lot earlier than yesterday. Unpadded bib tights over bib shorts SS base SS jersey and a soft shell top, still not resorted to shoe covers and the PI cyclone gloves are doing fine on the hands.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Ok, full winter gear as of yesterday morning. 4C is too cold even for my hairy legs.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    3/4 super roubaix now and for the forseeable, to think its actually seen as 'being hard' wearing shorts is laughable. It fucks your knees up, its not hard, its stupid.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Up from T-shirt to base layer and softshell now, but still in 3/4 length baggies.....shorts are OK for temperature but my kneas get a bit creaky, now the wrong temperature as its too cold for a T and too warm for the softshell unless I undo it and have it flapping after a few miles.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    okgo wrote:
    3/4 super roubaix now and for the forseeable, to think its actually seen as 'being hard' wearing shorts is laughable. It fucks your knees up, its not hard, its stupid.

Scientific evidence for this please?
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Aidy wrote:
    okgo wrote:

Scientific evidence for this please?
    not scientific but anecdotal from me. last week out in shorts and leg warmers as it was cold, back of my knee (which is a recurring injury) started playing up for the first time in about 18 months. This week in full tights and no pain at all.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have a long term knee issue caused by a car accident when I was 8 years old, if I don't keep them warm they creak (audibly) and ache for the rest of the day, I'll stick to keeping them warm thanks!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    My knees ache if cold, especially the right one. Similarly, the ankle I broke playing football. There just isn't much blood flow in tendons...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • I must be getting old, because I really can't see how it makes anyone look good to be riding along with bright-red corned-beef legs. Really, it's not a good look, it's not comfortable either. We don't think you're hard, we think you're a bit thick.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I'm not really advocating staying in shorts - I'm just interested as to the mechanism by which it damages knees.
  • Aidy wrote:
    I'm not really advocating staying in shorts - I'm just interested as to the mechanism by which it damages knees.

Ah well in that case, how about this?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12078965

Edit: Full article.

http://ijch.fi/issues/612/612_pienimaki.pdf
  • so sky bib shorts, 3/4 over trous, normal socks and cleated shoes, long sleeved base layer and gore phantom with seal skinz fluro yellow gloves...
    A touch on the slightly too warm but not by much. Phantom jacket is a winner
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Was passed at speed in Regents Park this morning (the Garmin's saying -4degC) by a guy riding a bright red Pinarello, wearing a matching red team kit (didnt get the team tho) SS top over a base layer and shorts :eek: - his legs were the same colour as the shorts!
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • A little reminder of what I've said before:

I used to ride through the winter sockless in cleated road bike shoes. Zero insulation. I now have problems with my toes, esp in the left foot. Since Sunday my toes have been cold. Like little blocks of ice. If I rest them on a radiator, or wrap them in a fur, they will eventually warm up. Then they cool down again very quickly, back to icy. And it's not very comfortable.

Once the temps pick up they will be OK again, but in cold weather, they are a real PITA.

So wrap up warm, kids!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:
    A little reminder of what I've said before:

I used to ride through the winter sockless in cleated road bike shoes. Zero insulation. I now have problems with my toes, esp in the left foot. Since Sunday my toes have been cold. Like little blocks of ice. If I rest them on a radiator, or wrap them in a fur, they will eventually warm up. Then they cool down again very quickly, back to icy. And it's not very comfortable.

Once the temps pick up they will be OK again, but in cold weather, they are a real PITA.

So wrap up warm, kids!
    Raynauds Syndrome?
  • Greg66 wrote:

So wrap up warm, kids!
    Raynauds Syndrome?

Hmm. Possibly, in a mild form. I don't get the discolouration that usually comes with Reynard's though.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Shorts for me today. What was I thinking?!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Bought toe covers from Wiggle to go with knee warmers. Must be winter
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

So wrap up warm, kids!
    Raynauds Syndrome?

Hmm. Possibly, in a mild form. I don't get the discolouration that usually comes with Reynard's though.
    My daughter-in-law gets this, also no discolouration, possibly brought on by extended contact with cold in the past as well. Apparently it causes damage to the capillaries which over-react in the future causing bad circulation and intense pain. She has battery-powered gloves when she's out on her motorbike. And they do work. 6x rechargeable AA cells.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Greg66 wrote:

So wrap up warm, kids!

Call it what you like old man, call it what you like .....
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I actually saw someone in shorts this morning

Mind you, he was an RLJ'er, so must have been mental anyway

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    Just brought some Nike leg warmers. I'll try them tomorrow moring with 3/4 shorts.
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Considering more than just Humvees on my legs tomorrow. Supposed to be -6 deg. C overnight...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Looked out of the window at all the commuters riding home as I sat at home and a builder rode past in jeans and t-shirt with hi-viz vest and builders helmet on, the next cyclist had full winter kit on.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Back in shorts
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    The weather report on my phone says it's a blistering 12 degrees today. Well back in to shorts territory. Do I dare believe it? It's funny how it was snowing 2 weeks ago and now I'm contemplating going out in shorts.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Sweating like a pig this morning.

Overheating + 1000000.

If it's this mild tomorrow, I'm going for shorts + short sleeve top.
  • Overheated in shorts this morning and I celebrated the 'mild' weather by coming in on the Madone.... good God it is so much quicker!

I had to warn the poor girl on reception not to look. I'm not saying my legs are pale but Albinos have a tan compared to me at the moment
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    how warm is it today!!

shorts an tee for me
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Shorts throughout, although I did try out tights on the 8th, as alluded to above... Dear gawd did I wish I didn't; boiled over in about 15 seconds.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.