Still in shorts?

Comments

• 61Sigs
    61Sigs Posts: 71
    Weird day in Wilts today (weather-wise). Shorts, shell jacket and cold legs first thing for the trip to the shops.

Shorts and short sleeves this afternoon for a decent ride out. It wasn't far off a summer's day this afternoon.

Apart from the first day, this is one of the few days that I've really enjoyed being unemployed! Every cloud etc :D
    Epic FSR for the real stuff
    Hardrock Sport utility bike
    Boardman CX Team
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Am going to bump this, given the recent colder weather, mixed with tropical warmth - and yes, I'm still in shorts and knee warmers, may buy some overshoes as my poor little tootsies are chilly in the mornings...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Three quarters this morning. And liner gloves under my mitts for the first time. Still no longs or full finger gloves, but not far off (down to 4C this morning).
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Broke out the longs for the first time yesterday. Contemplating buying some winter boots after terrible times with overshoes in previous years. Of course I'd have to keep them hidden from the mrs!
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Wore shorts for only about the second time this year last night. Had got soaked cycling from work to the gym. Changed at gym into shorts for bodypump class. Then realised at the end I could either cycle home with freezing, soaking wet 3/4 trackies or stick with the shorts. Decided on the shorts as its only a short ride home from the gym - my thighs were frozen by the time I got home (in the rain) at gone 8pm. Will stick with the 3/4 trackies in future I reckon!

This morning wasn't too bad. Fingers froze for first half of commute. Got stopped at lights and worked the blood back into them and they were fine for the rest of the journey. Just in 3/4 trackies, t-shirt, aldi cycling jacket and fingerless gloves.
  • secretsam
    Just in 3/4 trackies, t-shirt, aldi cycling jacket and fingerless gloves.

You're a braver...err...woman than me! I'm getting increasingly Michelin-man-like: lid, skullcap, wettie, gilet, shirt, undershirt, shorts (lycra) under shorts (baggy), knee warmers, socks, shoes, full gloves.

They'd drop off if I wore what you do :lol:

• SecretSam wrote:

You're a braver...err...woman than me! I'm getting increasingly Michelin-man-like: lid, skullcap, wettie, gilet, shirt, undershirt, shorts (lycra) under shorts (baggy), knee warmers, socks, shoes, full gloves.

I handle cold far better than heat, might be something to do with spending all my weekends sailing in a small dinghy (laser radial for those that know boats) all year round. Getting very strange comments from work colleagues as they are all complaining about the cold and I think the office is ridiculously hot!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    pst88 wrote:
    Broke out the longs for the first time yesterday. Contemplating buying some winter boots after terrible times with overshoes in previous years. Of course I'd have to keep them hidden from the mrs!

So far Planet X overshoes worn over DHB M1s and sealskinz socks have done a good job of keeping my feet warm. Not as good as winter boots I'm sure, but a lot cheaper.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • secretsam
    SecretSam wrote:

I handle cold far better than heat, might be something to do with spending all my weekends sailing in a small dinghy (laser radial for those that know boats) all year round. Getting very strange comments from work colleagues as they are all complaining about the cold and I think the office is ridiculously hot!

That's disappointing, thought the "sailor" bit referred to you being on a submarine or something military...all sorts of uniform-related thoughts have now been sadly washed away...

I may have revealed a bit too much detail there

• Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Still shorts & SS but have added a Gore Bikewear lightweight jacket thingy thats wind/rain proof, long-fingered gloves and headband a la Bjorn Borg to keep my ears warm.
    The headband/gloves keep the extremities warm but the jacket is really just until my core warms up & I end up arriving sweating like the proverbial. I'm probably the same with cold as anyone else but I get hot quite quickly. It could be -10 outside of a night & I will be lying naked on top of the covers with the windows wide open happy as anything - odd.
  • tights this morning as it was only 2degC at 6:15... but will be shorts going home as warmed up to a balmy 8degC now... tho the winds getting up :(
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Will be in shorts or 3/4 tights unless it gets very cold as the last 2 miles to work is on a muddy track and skin is quicker to clean than clothing.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    kieranb wrote:
    Shorts are good down to -5C, below that might consider tights....

Not the best approach, at this temperature with wind chill added in, the body will reduce blood flow to the limbs to protect the body's core temperature and fluids will get sluggish (e.g. around the joints). This is what happens when you swim in cold water so I would assume the same survival mechanism would kick in for -5 in the air.

yes agree here. I find if I keep generally warm my feet and hands don't get cold.
  • I commute year around in work trousers bar a few times in mid summer when i scare my ladies with shorts.

But for MTB when it gets very cold wet I move over to walking boots and walking trousers but has to be well below zero or I over heat.

I expect that I'll stay with shorts for the SS trips into the lanes.
  • was 5degC today, wore shorts for my 40mile Sunday run... was a tad chilly but doable...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    3/4 tights tonight at 22:30 in 4c temperature.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • 0 degrees this morning - still in shorts.
    Will have to dig out the shinpads for the commute soon. I still refuse to buy tights/any new kit. I will have to resort to wearing MTB body armour for warmth on my commute in the next few weeks.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • bib shorts, ss jersey... and long sleeved softshell. Too warm though. I needs arm warmers. Seal skin fluro yellow gloves too. Cold thumbs is not pleasant.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I was most definitely in long trousers today. Saw a bird on an MTB this morning crossing Kingston Bridge wearing shorts. I think this was a ploy to make her more visible as her legs were glowing bright pink. She doesn't seem like a keen cyclist and doesn't move particularly quickly so seemed like an odd choice.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Passed a bloke in bib shorts this morning, brave fellow..... I've been in tights for a while now. just gone from base layer + jacket up to base layer + jersey + jacket up top.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Shorts at 7am this morning. Wasn't that bad.
    Had full gloves, a winter jersey under jacket and a front lining on the helmet.
    exercise.png
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    I got it all wrong today. First day with the tights on and instantly wished I'd stayed in knee warmers was way to hot. I think I might have to get some leg warmers and see if they bridge the gap any better.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • Saw a couple of guys in baggies on MTB's this morning ploughing through the snow. Brrrrrr!
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    First day in tights today. Still S/S top and summer gloves though.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • secretsam
    I have to confess that I've succombed to the tights...it's just too damn cold at 7AM...

• shorts, ls base, ss jersey and sealskinz. slightly too warm still but overall workable I guess - apart from buying arm warmers not sure what else I can do to stay cool enough. Wondering wtf is going to make me need to wear my 3/4 or my nice gore jacket...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Still in 3/4 tights (thin running ones from Decathlon), baggies, a merino base layer and a flouro body condom. Full sealskins gloves meant hands were fine. Feet were slightly cold this morning though, I'm just in a battered pair of trainers at the moment so will have to think about what I'm going to use for the winter. I think overshoes are out as I'm 'running' DMR V12s atm and they will tear them to shreds. Maybe some kind of warm sock and footy trainers - any recommendations for socks?
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I was in leg warmers, over shoes, merino socks, base layer, SS jersey, torm armwarmers, gilet and rapha woolly hat yesterday with woolly gloves and I was FOOKING FREEZING.
  • Football socks, short cycling shorts, long sleeved base layer with a footy shirt over the top and a running jacket, pair of nike windrunner gloves and a sealskinz skullcap thing! Definitely need to invest in some proper cold weather cycling gear, was just above zero this morning and neck / chin was numb!

Also first time on icy roads and was wheelspinning all over the place up hills when not sat down!
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I'm still wearing shorts, although I must confess as of Monday the Ron Hill running trousers have been on underneath them. Have also ditched the mitts for full fingered gloves and brought out the winter helmet.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem