Still in shorts?

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
So the temperature has dropped - are you still being brave and fearless or have you covered up???? :D

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Still in shorts but I reckon that by the end of the week the thermals will be out...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Not that cold yet here - next week I may break out the legwarmers. The arm warmers are on for the first time this morning.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Rapha arm & knee warmers for 6am starts.
    Shorts and SS on the way home.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    still shorts an tee here

dont really feel the cold in my legs its more my fingers that suffer. bleeding chilly here this morning too
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    It hasn't been that cold in London yet! I've started to wear 2 layers on top - T and jacket - but still in shorts...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    dhope wrote:

Aldi overshoes FTW :twisted:
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Shorts are good down to -5C, below that might consider tights....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Tights this morning and a few too many top layers. But I did not regret that. It was cold.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • yocto
    yocto Posts: 86
    Still in shorts, though I did wear a windstopper it keep out the chill. I don't really feel it in my legs. SWMBO usually forces me to put on full-on tights once it gets pretty chilly. I llike to believe it's because she thinks they make my legs look hot! though she says it's to stop me getting a cold :roll:
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Yesterday was the first time this autumn I've needed leg- and arm-warmers, and a t-shirt under the SS jersey, it was misty and cold ! However, by the first pub stop the sun came out and the warmers came off.

I may have to turn on the central heating today though !
    Misguided Idealist
  • My knees will now remain in hiding until March at least. I know it's not cold yet but I like to keep warm.
  • Mark Bom
    Mark Bom Posts: 184
    My fingers suffered on Saturday, only wore mitts and regretted it within ten mins.

Sunday it was foggy but still cold and wore a pair of thin wool gloves under mitts until it warmed up.

Definately noticed the temp drop this week.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Mr Plum wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Aldi overshoes FTW :twisted:

I did wear Lidl socks though, and when I passed the Occupy protests on the way to the investment bank I could feel a sense a sense of solidarity*. I think they appreciated the sentiment.

*This isn't true, I was running late so took the CS7 route today.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Long sleeved top and long fingered gloves, but shorts still

Come Wednesday it'll be full cold gear kit as the temp is meant to hit 1C and I feel the cold on my fingers and toes

So MW80s will be brought out now until March and the fingerless gloves put away....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Shorts
    SS top
    Fingerless gloves

See or feel no reason to change yet - still roasting when I get to the office, its just the first 1/2 mile that might be a bit peaky...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,771
    Knee warmers. I don't like the cold and my knees tend to play up anyway. I think I may have mentioned before that I'm a bleedin' great jessie.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Was in shorts last week as I stupidly left my longs at home in Aviemore (I'm in Aberdeen during the week). Won't make that mistake this week, lots of fresh snow up here on the hills and it's bl**dy freezing out.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    unixnerd wrote:
    Was in shorts last week as I stupidly left my longs at home in Aviemore (I'm in Aberdeen during the week). Won't make that mistake this week, lots of fresh snow up here on the hills and it's bl**dy freezing out.

Did you just use the 's' word?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    Shorts are good down to -5C, below that might consider tights....

Not the best approach, at this temperature with wind chill added in, the body will reduce blood flow to the limbs to protect the body's core temperature and fluids will get sluggish (e.g. around the joints). This is what happens when you swim in cold water so I would assume the same survival mechanism would kick in for -5 in the air.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Still in summer stuff but my morning commute is all uphill so i tend to get hot.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    So there's almost no-one in knee warmers? I must really MTFU

Mind you, I am still wearing track mitts, so I'm not a total pansy!!! :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I've been in legwarmers since August.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Knee-warmers for me. My knees no-likey the cold. Also still in mitts
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • long sleeved helly top and still in shorts. will go as long as possible in them but i think 1st week in November will be trousers to ride in .
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • I got caught out by the first frost last Thursday, so now in 3/4s and full-fingered gloves. 8C this morning though.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    3/4 lengths last night in RP for me. Arm wamers, ear warmers, windproof gilet.

But I'm a bit French in this respect.
  • Legs have gone into hiding, as I'm up early in the morning I'm notocing the tempertures are dropping, so I'm wearing trackies at the moment, at night going back home it's not too bad and prob could get away with wearing shorts.

David
  • dancook
    dancook Posts: 279
    I cycled 5 miles (at the time) to work in the snow - there were miles of cars stuck in traffic - not moving.

There was me cycling in my shorts, t-shirt and thick gloves! I could never wear more than shorts on my legs, I'd get too hot.

I was probably the only person in the office for a few days.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,771
    SecretSam wrote:
    So there's almost no-one in knee warmers? I must really MTFU

Mind you, I am still wearing track mitts, so I'm not a total pansy!!! :lol:

OI! Does that mean I'm almost someone? Gloves for me. I'm a complete wuss. I blame my mother.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Usually leg warmers on way in, bare legs on way home. Using long sleeved tops though but I have no fat so need insulation. Do tend to get a bit warm on the way in though.......
    Faster than a tent.......