Still in shorts?

Comments

• Still in shorts, though I am now wearing the long base layer under my long sleeved jersey in the morning. Couple of cold mornings I have started out at 6 with the long finger gloves on too but I've had to take them off once I've got warmed up. Ditch the base layer on the way home.

I have just got myself a pair of baa baa socks though, absolutely fantastic
    Coffee is not my cup of tea

Moda Fresco track racer
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
    Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Tights today, plus a merino l/s jersey, gilet and full finger gloves. A Jessie! but a warm Jessie. The gloves were a bit OTT TBH :oops:
    The older I get the faster I was
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Tights, as of last week.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Shorts 'n T-Shirt still.

I have been in bed most of the day with man-flu. Obviously nothing todo with wearing shorts and getting cold :oops:
  • raymc
    raymc Posts: 38
    Still shorts.

Long sleeve merino base layer under usual short sleeve top, wind stopper, fingerless gloves, ruff and wool hat.

Not yet feeling the cold on my legs once I get going. Bit nippy at 6am start, but so far ok.

Feel more like wrapping up when I'm on a late at work though, 930pm finish. I keep a supply of clothes in locker at work just in case! :)

Rain more of a hinderence to me than the cold.
  • raymc wrote:
    Still shorts.

Long sleeve merino base layer under usual short sleeve top, wind stopper, fingerless gloves, ruff and wool hat.

Not yet feeling the cold on my legs once I get going. Bit nippy at 6am start, but so far ok.

Feel more like wrapping up when I'm on a late at work though, 930pm finish. I keep a supply of clothes in locker at work just in case! :)

Rain more of a hinderence to me than the cold.

Really? Is this you?

PhilipIIISpain.jpg
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I'm still in shorts. Just with tights over the top. Sunday's ride was chuffing cold so I may have slightly overdressed this morning. Currently 17 degrees here so tights, bib shorts, SS top and a wind stoppper might be a little warm for the ride home
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • was only 5degC and breezy at 6am so I put tights on over my shorts... was too hot after the sun came up but couldn't be bothered to stop by then... shorts to go home, but its really gusting out there :( tree outside my office doing a passable attempt at getting horizontal...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • borderline this morning at 6c but braved it. Never mind the cold what about the wind?

Then again it's semi tropical here on the south Coast.
  • I commute in civvies no lycra for that distance!

But does mean trousers and t shirt normally. Though todays pre 7am start I did have jumper on stand by, will take gloves though as the fog in Bushy Park was cold.

on serious rides be still in shorts, I'm wearing more at moment as I've had a cold so am feeling the cold at the moment.
  • emdeef
    emdeef Posts: 98
    Tights for the first time today. My knees don't react well to the cold. Getting old, I suppose
  • covered up this week. tad warm but probably would have been a tad chilly in shorts. getting less gung ho as I get older.
  • Still in shorts. Mainly because that's all I have. Have added a baselayer to the jersey though with jacket on standby.

Might resort to trackies if it really gets that cold.
    Specialized Secteur - FCN 6
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    They were dripping wet after this evening's torrential down pour when I got in but yeah, #Stillinshorts

The SPEG Avert 3 held up well.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    No chance. Need to protect my ageing knees.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • 61Sigs
    61Sigs Posts: 71
    Still in shorts and mits, but with long sleves.

Fingers will be the first to go, better dig the gloves out this week.
    Epic FSR for the real stuff
    Hardrock Sport utility bike
    Boardman CX Team
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Weather is definitely heading towards tights. Keeping your legs warm is the best defence against cold feet too.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • 61Sigs
    61Sigs Posts: 71
    You live 'North of Inverness' ffs, I'm surprised you ever need to take your bearskin hat off :D
    Epic FSR for the real stuff
    Hardrock Sport utility bike
    Boardman CX Team
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    61Sigs wrote:
    You live 'North of Inverness' ffs, I'm surprised you ever need to take your bearskin hat off :D

God - I NEVER do that :shock: :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Tights today - looked at the outside temp gauge - saw 5C and discretion definitely became the better part of valour.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    A quote from the great David Attenborough:
    and so as Winter draws in the fairalus weatherias ciclista heads for hibernation, whilst the lesser known bigus balus frigostable ciclista starts to grow its seasonal coat of thick merino wool, reflective armor and of course, tights.
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    Baa Baa, sealskinz socks, tights and winter gloves this morning - temp not above 5c with 25mph winds off the North Atlantic - winter is here!
  • One of those rare morning when I got everything just spot, clothing wise. Today that was: thin jacket, SS top, fancy new Gore Power SO gloves (first outing, very nice indeed), long, padless bibs and shorts underneath, winter socks and winter boots.

Arrived at work dry, warm and non-sweaty. It was about 4 degrees this morning with a 40 mph headwind and near-freezing torrential rain.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I don't have any 3/4s and so I think I'll have to invest in some roubaix knee warmers; the thin lycra ones I've got leave a little to be desired in the current conditions.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    First frost this morning, only on shed roof, #stillinshorts
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • I've started commuting to work in shin and knee pads. (I don't own anything else to cover my legs.) I may go to my full-face helmet soon.
    I'm on an MTB, wearing my baggies so it looks as if I'm off on an early morning session :oops:
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Time to close this thread - the only people still in shorts from today are people who really should be locked in a small room with no access to the internet!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    still in shorts for me too, maybe its because i dont shave my legs i can still be in shorts an freeze to death?

i think it was only about 8C here this morning, like a summers day
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Rolf F wrote:
    Time to close this thread - the only people still in shorts from today are people who really should be locked in a small room with no access to the internet!

Last November when it had snowed, I saw a couple of cyclists in London still in shorts, ploughing through the snowy streets... This thread's got a long way to run yet!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Can someone explain why you would wear 3/4 in this weather rather than tights? I don;t get it. Less still, shorts. It's not an Ironman challenge!

Does it impress the chicks?

Er, no.

Therefore get your tights on an keep warm.

Upon finishing typing that, I've just realised I've turned into my dad.