Still in shorts?

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    mudcow007 wrote:
    still in shorts for me too, maybe its because i dont shave my legs i can still be in shorts an freeze to death?

i think it was only about 8C here this morning, like a summers day
    Didn't you report a knee problem last week? #justsaying
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • bibshorts, ls baselayer and ss jersey with long fingered mitts.

little bit too warm but manageable.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    mudcow007 wrote:
    still in shorts for me too, maybe its because i dont shave my legs i can still be in shorts an freeze to death?

Ditto, but 5degC here; L/S base layer plus gilet. Found Lidl gloves made brifter shifting a little harder.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    JonGinge wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

i think it was only about 8C here this morning, like a summers day
    Didn't you report a knee problem last week? #justsaying

i think thats a case of a different bike, new seating position

knee is all better now
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Still shorts today but got my windstoppers out and put on my gore jacket for the first time - still sweating when I got in but I noticed my toes were a bit chilled. Might have to get my headband on as well for my ears :)

But shorts for a while yet methinks
  • Longs on today, not the full roubaix bib tights - just leggings/ wore a skullcap and long fingered gloves for the first time as well.
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Shorts today but did concede the need for overshoes after freezing my toes off last night.

Maybe some embrocation tomorrow! :lol:

Surely your legs are the only bit that will never get cold when you're on the bike?! Is it an age thing, perhaps?
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    This morning was 3/4 bibs, full length tights, long sleeve jersey, short sleeve jersey, long sleeve jacket and full finger gloves. I was quite warm although I'll have to look out my headband if it gets nippier.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Been in tights + windproof all week .

Before 6 am its has been around 3-4 degrees in the country side.

Added a aldi long sleeve compression top as a base layer and a buff today as its getting chillier, lidl spd shoes are great as they are a bit thicker so keep the toes warmer than my summer ones with mesh panels.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Been in tights + windproof all week .

Before 6 am its has been around 3-4 degrees in the country side.

Added a aldi long sleeve compression top as a base layer and a buff today as its getting chillier, lidl spd shoes are great as they are a bit thicker so keep the toes warmer than my summer ones with mesh panels.

It's not been much warmer once the sun is up either.

Speed is definitely down at the moment, but it was so relaxing again this morning I stopped worrying.

(still... what is it about the cold that causes the speed to drop?)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I added knee warmers only because its my knees that start to complain first, it's also helped by me moving my cleats a few mm back after doing some research online. I did have my windstopper gilet on and my de feet gloves on.

End of my fingers were still a bit painful, I was finding myself pulling my fingers into the main bit of the glove to warm them up during long stops at lights.
  • 3/4 length tights under me shorts, full gloves and a waterproof this week. This morning I didn't spend half an hour sweating at my desk so it must be getting cold. Hope it doesn't get too much colder as I'm cycling in normal trainers at the moment and I don't think my overshoes will fit over them. Don't really want to shell out for a slimmer pair of shoes for cycling in, but equally, don't want to lose a toe to frostbite.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Roubaix kneewarmers for me if it's anything below 15 degrees. I want to protect my knees as much as possible.

This is just for social rides, my commute is done is shirt, trousers and a windproof softshell. It's all down hill on the way so it's really cold, first thing I have to do when I get home is take my shirt of hang it up to dry and flannel off! :?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • djm778
    djm778 Posts: 42
    hey guys and gals, if anyone is interested my girlfriend and I have just set up making merino cycling caps and accessories. So if you want something stylish but practical to keep your noggin warm for the coming months check us out. We are based in East London and all our stuff is hand made to order.

www.woollywheelies.co.uk

www.facebook.com/woollywheelies
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    djm778 wrote:
    hey guys and gals, if anyone is interested my girlfriend and I have just set up making merino cycling caps and accessories. So if you want something stylish but practical to keep your noggin warm for the coming months check us out. We are based in East London and all our stuff is hand made to order.

www.woollywheelies.co.uk

Loving the belgian waffle. Been meaning to get something like that for a while now. I wonder what the kids are getting me for christmas?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    djm778 wrote:

www.woollywheelies.co.uk

Looks great - shame I run so hot cycling. Deserves to be successful.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • First morning (in fact, first time ever) wearing full length lycra kecks instead of my baggies.

Legs=warmer

Wang=colder

Like a little frozen chipolata by the time I got to work.
    Ribble Audax - FCN 5
    Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3
  • djm778
    prawny wrote:
    djm778 wrote:

www.woollywheelies.co.uk

Loving the belgian waffle. Been meaning to get something like that for a while now. I wonder what the kids are getting me for christmas?

Thanks for the vote of confidence...prawny...mind you even if they do get you one for Christmas who pays their pocket money with which they will buy it1?!?!?!?
  • djm778
    djm778 wrote:

www.woollywheelies.co.uk

Looks great - shame I run so hot cycling. Deserves to be successful.

thanks meanredspider, I know how you feel i run hot too but they way Alex knits these means they have like little vents near the top so we are hoping that will help cool off those of us who overheat easily. Will let you know how I get on with mine over the coming weeks / months.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Liking the beanie...

Actually, liking all of them. :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Wore my Rapha / Paul Smith winter hat this morning.
  • JonGinge wrote:
    Liking the beanie...

Actually, liking all of them. :D

thanks JonGinge, any feedback on the hats is greatfully received as I said we are just getting off the mark. Please like us on Facebook and spread the word.

P.s. Please send any PMs to me here not the djm778 profile which is my old one linked to an old e-mail address. Sorry for any confusion.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    3/4's this morning and proper gloves... little nippy out there today
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Wore my Rapha / Paul Smith winter hat this morning.

+1 when I pointed this out to peeps in the office I might as well have been talking dutch.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Alot of cyclists in our office.

We're always parading around in new gear, manipulating each other's bibshorts, sharing base layers, admiring helmets. The squeals of delight when a new Wiggle box turns up sends the whole department into hysterics.
  • still in lycra shorts . wore thin fleece full length gloves today and hands were lovely and warm . made rest of me feel warm too.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I over estimated the temp this moring, thought it was as cold as yesterday and only when I took a step outside did I think ohh bugger I am going to get a bit warmer than I like to be.

At least I will get it right for the trip home.
  • so i was over dressed this morning, put on my long fingered gloves and i over heated. shorts and ss jersey as per norm otherwise.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    I'm using leg and arm warmers now :lol: Do get warm, but I don't work when i'm cold.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'm still in shorts & bare knees all of this week. L/S though as my arms are doing no work.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH