Newb to club riding wearing World Champs jersey

Comments

• Anyone know what the stance is on looking at pictures of the current world chamion's girlfriend's breasts on the internet as a mark of respect is?
  • McBoom
    McBoom Posts: 78
    Anyone know what the stance is on looking at pictures of the current world chamion's girlfriend's breasts on the internet as a mark of respect is?

It's fine, unless she's wearing an unzipped WC jersey ;)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    MikeWW wrote:
    It says plenty about you-as do your posts :D

Go on then - what does it say about me and my posts?! Aside from being more interested in peoples achievements themselves than badges I can't see that it says very much but I'd be interested to hear what you think.

What does this comment of yours say about your attitude?:
    When you have people around you that have spent a significant proportion of their life trying to win something and finally achieve it then they have earnt the respect of many/all of their piers. if you then just go out and buy the same jersey what does that then say about you and your attitude to what they went out and earnt?

It seems to say that it only matters if you win. There are plenty of people who work just as hard as the world champion to win but don't - and often not because they are in anyway inferior to the world champion. Often they are just less lucky. They don't get to wear a stripey jersey. I have as much respect for them as the ones that do win.

To paraphrase Lance - it's not about the jersey!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    We have some pretty strict people running my squad.

I got bollocked pretty badly for wearing a ProTeam replica jersey once.

No one would ever dream of wearing a rainbow jersey until they won it. Even the jerseys (World Cup leaders and World Champions) that were given to staff will never be worn by them (even if we say they can, etc).

The prevailing attitude is if you didn't win it, don't wear it.

At my level though, the attitudes and 'rules' are different.
  • scottarm
    scottarm Posts: 119
    by the sounds of it nearly every club on this thread has someone who's earned a WC jersey, if so they can't be that exclusive, how hard can it be

Don't think I want a top that's soo common LOL
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    I'm happy to come from a sport where talent was laid bare and people could wear what they want. 'At my level' attitudes were the subject of mockery rather than people playing sport in a shirt. International caps are not on sale to the public.. maybe you should contact the UCI to voice your concerns suggesting they do the same.
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    When I ride with my club we all wear club gear and there can be up to 40 or so of us. I think it looks good but I'm sure no one would be bothered if you turned up in a WC jersey, aside from a bit of gentle ribbing maybe. It's a shame if some people have been put off joining a club by what has been seen as some slightly old fashioned attitudes.
  • Pokerface
    Mr Dog wrote:
    I'm happy to come from a sport where talent was laid bare and people could wear what they want. 'At my level' attitudes were the subject of mockery rather than people playing sport in a shirt. International caps are not on sale to the public.. maybe you should contact the UCI to voice your concerns suggesting they do the same.

YOu also come from a sport where there is no comparable jersey.

All sports have World Championships. But I don't know of other sports in which the world champion get special clothing for the year – and stripes for life.

That's why a rainbow jersey is different from an international or club jersey - in any sport.

And I'm sure "in your sport" you can't wear what you want. There are rules and guidelines in all sports - at all levels.
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    Here's my tuppence.

Firstly, the shirts are on sale. That means the sale is permitted by the Official people who have sanctioned this. The Official should be checking who they sell the kit to.

Secondly, I would follow the dress code of the club. Some insist on mud guards. Some on wearing the club kit, as much as possible on a ride, because it gives a great impression of a united team . So if someone new joined they would need to follow the rules laid down by the club. This obviously wouldn't affect a solo rider.

personally, this puts me off joining a club. I'm not that serious about what I should be wearing.

In fact I'm looking forward to the Sky shirt with the rainbow stripes on, or maybe even a GB shirt with stripes. I'd like to think it would commemorate the achievement, albeit someone else's achievement. A bit like a whole stadium full of football or rugby shirts. Some wear one from a particular year. I think for the TdF or tour of Britain it would look great if everyone was wearing the same kind of shirt, and there's probably only one year when Cav will have his.
  • Pokerface wrote:
    We have some pretty strict people running my squad.

I got bollocked pretty badly for wearing a ProTeam replica jersey once.

No one would ever dream of wearing a rainbow jersey until they won it. Even the jerseys (World Cup leaders and World Champions) that were given to staff will never be worn by them (even if we say they can, etc).

The prevailing attitude is if you didn't win it, don't wear it.

At my level though, the attitudes and 'rules' are different.

All respect, Pokerface, but I think you hit it on the head when you mentioned "squad".

I bought a road bike in 2008 (my first) when I was 42. I was thinking about joining a club next season, but this is exactly what puts newbies off.

I wish everyone luck in their club and if you are in the OP's wear what you want and hope some to$$er leaves.

If you have earned the jersey, wear it in the pride of your own achievement. Pokerface, you have earned it so good luck. You couldn't get a better compliment.
  • Pokerface
    All respect, Pokerface, but I think you hit it on the head when you mentioned "squad".

Yup - big difference between a squad (especially an international one) and a club.

I'm trying to explain where MY thinking comes from and why I personally feel the way I do about the wearing of such items of clothing.

Thankfully, I get a free pass on my attitude and can get away with my comments as a Champion™ 8)

The other thing about clubs is - many of them have more senior members who have been riding a long time. Their attitudes towards clothing, etc is more strict than the newer riders who want to just ride and don't care about rules or tradition or any of that stuff.

There is a place for both types of riders and tradition is an important thing. It's what stops us all from wearing trackies to weddings, and gives us a sense of the 'appropriate' without having to have it as a written rule somewhere.

I can sense that most people don't like being told what they should or shouldn't wear.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724

I bought a road bike in 2008 (my first) when I was 42. I was thinking about joining a club next season, but this is exactly what puts newbies off.

Why let it put you off joining a club? Not all clubs are like that and most aren't. The important thing is find the club that suits you, not the other way around. Riding with a club has transformed my riding and expanded my group of friends(both cycling and non cycling) would hate to think I'd missed out on the many things I've done in the last 3 years.
  • markos1963 wrote:

Why let it put you off joining a club? Not all clubs are like that and most aren't. The important thing is find the club that suits you, not the other way around. Riding with a club has transformed my riding and expanded my group of friends(both cycling and non cycling) would hate to think I'd missed out on the many things I've done in the last 3 years.

Markos, you are right. It shouldn't make a difference, but I am not alone in thinking this if you look back.

I will have a go this year and not wear any sort of team, world champ, KOTM, Green, Yellow or anything else too offensive. I would hate to think it was anything other than my fitness which people find offensive.
  • Pokerface
    I can honestly say that joining a club was one of the big steps forward in my career. Even though I don't ride with them all the time, the variety of club rides, chain gangs, road races and TTs have given me lots of opportunity to grow and improve.

I've met great people, got loads of encouragement, and improved my group riding skills over the past few years. The weekly TTs through the summer are a constant yardstick of improvement.

I'm lucky to have found a great club - but know that there are loads of them out there. No one should EVER be put off from jointing a club based on something they read on an internet forum (especially such an isolated instance/attitude).

Riding alone is OK - riding in a group is much better.
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Rolf F wrote:
    MikeWW wrote:
    It says plenty about you-as do your posts :D

Go on then - what does it say about me and my posts?! Aside from being more interested in peoples achievements themselves than badges I can't see that it says very much but I'd be interested to hear what you think.

What does this comment of yours say about your attitude?:
    When you have people around you that have spent a significant proportion of their life trying to win something and finally achieve it then they have earnt the respect of many/all of their piers. if you then just go out and buy the same jersey what does that then say about you and your attitude to what they went out and earnt?

It seems to say that it only matters if you win. There are plenty of people who work just as hard as the world champion to win but don't - and often not because they are in anyway inferior to the world champion. Often they are just less lucky. They don't get to wear a stripey jersey. I have as much respect for them as the ones that do win.

To paraphrase Lance - it's not about the jersey!

We are so far apart in views that its perhaps not worth debating too much

I'm guessing you haven't won much have you?
    Do you actually race or just lurk about on here?
  • Regardless of the rights and wrongs of all this, a 'perfect storm' is likely to develop next year that will probably lead to lots of new cyclist hitting the roads, and some of them will want to wear a rainbow jersey. Cav being the World Champ, Cav riding for Sky, Cav riding for the win at the Olympics, Wiggins riding for the win at The Tour, and probably a lot more road cycling on the TV. This may be a once in a generation chance for road cycling in the UK to become more mainstream and popular. For the more progressive clubs, it will also be a great source of new members. I think club members' attitudes towards new riders will be critical in this regard if they wish to take advantage of this opportunity.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    For the more progressive clubs, it will also be a great source of new members.

I'm often confused by this idea that clubs should want more members, and that welcoming everyone man and his dog regardless of how well he would fit should be part of being a club member. Surely once clubs have enough members to ensure the members get an enjoyable ride that meets the clubs aims (be it social, or racing or whatever) then more members don't add anything to the club at all. So why should the club do anything to attract new members?
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • jibberjim wrote:
    For the more progressive clubs, it will also be a great source of new members.

I'm often confused by this idea that clubs should want more members, and that welcoming everyone man and his dog regardless of how well he would fit should be part of being a club member. Surely once clubs have enough members to ensure the members get an enjoyable ride that meets the clubs aims (be it social, or racing or whatever) then more members don't add anything to the club at all. So why should the club do anything to attract new members?

Some may not. Some may. Mine does.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    MikeWW wrote:

Are you serious? Really? What on earth has it got to do with anything whether I race or not? Do you know what forum you are posting on? As for lurking, I'd have thought it was fairly obvious I don't lurk.

Do you actually ever even read what people post?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I am sorry.

I didn't know that I should race before I could comment.

I must be a lurker then.
  • I didn't know that I should race before I could comment..

You're not wearing a rainbow jersey as well are you?
  • I didn't know that I should race before I could comment..

You're not wearing a rainbow jersey as well are you?

Only when nobody's looking.
  • I'm a secret black sock wearer.
  • MikeWW
    Rolf F wrote:
    MikeWW wrote:

Are you serious? Really? What on earth has it got to do with anything whether I race or not? Do you know what forum you are posting on? As for lurking, I'd have thought it was fairly obvious I don't lurk.

Do you actually ever even read what people post?

Well you asked what it said about you and I have made a comment.
    Any chance of answering the question?
  • You keep that to yourself.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    I find it more than a little ironic that some of those who have won the right to wear the rainbow stripes over the years have done far, far more damage to the tradition and standing of the World Championship - and, indeed, cycling in general - than anyone who rocked up to a club ride wearing a replica jersey.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • This
    You are a bit of a tosser if you wear the rainbow jersey without the graft but, you are also a bit of a tosser if you tell someone off for wearing a rainbow jersey.

But I do think its changing due to the number of folk coming into cycling who have little knowledge and perhaps little interest, at least to begin with, in the history and traditions. Given the in-fighting, politics and general self harm that makes up most the history of british cycling, and the retarded self defeating nature of many of the traditions, I'm not sure that this is a bad thing.

jon
  • holker
    holker Posts: 88
    God help us
  • MikeWW
    LangerDan wrote:
    I find it more than a little ironic that some of those who have won the right to wear the rainbow stripes over the years have done far, far more damage to the tradition and standing of the World Championship - and, indeed, cycling in general - than anyone who rocked up to a club ride wearing a replica jersey.

I find it ironic that a few people who make several thousand posts on here think it has any impact in the real world-time to get a life maybe?
  • Lichfield - maybe I should join that one?

Not