Newb to club riding wearing World Champs jersey

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    It was touched on earlier, but do members of this club march round Asda on a Saturday afternoon ripping the pee out of blokes wearing Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal etc shirts, esp those with names like Rooney, Lampard, Van Persy etc splattered across their backs? Course not. Sure they make us (me then) snigger, in direct proportion to the number of X's in the shirt size but never to the point of making an issue out of it, and luckily it's still a free country where everyone is at liberty to make themselves look a bit foolish, without breaking any laws and without [yet] upsetting the Thought Police.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    exactly what puts me off joining a club - reading this tat.

Don't let one persons opinion put you off. You'll need a tougher skin that that to get through life. Clubs can be great fun and a decent club will bring you on.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788

I don't get this. Hasn't pretty much everyone bar the OP said wear what you like at least you're cycling?
    Sure they make us (me then) snigger, in direct proportion to the number of X's in the shirt size but never to the point of making an issue out of it

Kinda what i was saying. No ones such a saint they can't help slightly judging people by what they wear but hopefully we get over it as soon as we realise how we were probably wrong.
  • McBoom
    McBoom Posts: 78
    The organisation that owns the stripes would rather make money from selling them on retail products than protect their integrity. I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing, just a fact. Anybody competing for the stripes will already know this, so can't really complain a great deal.

I would never wear a WC jersey.

It's white and I'd manage to cover it in grease in about 5 minutes.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207

In the real world I have never met a club cyclist who has commented on what anyone else wears other than a few complaints at the lack of long term members wearing the club kit (mainly by one of the sponsors). I was welcomed as a 17 year old when I turned up on a heavy steel Raleigh Banana 'replica' bike wearing full Carrera team kit (fortunately before the fake denim shorts!) and no-one raised an eyebrow when I wore Shimano tights with Camapg long sleeve jersey (with hindsight wrong on so many levels - not least the colour clash :oops: ). I used to regularly ride in an genuine GB top given to me by a mate who rode for the junior squad.

The only one that raises a slight chuckle from me (in a good way) is an overweight cyclist in the polka dots but then I suspect many of the people wearing them are doing it with a sense of irony.
  • yeah i guess just overreacting to a daft post by a mardy git (it is Monday).
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    inseine wrote:
    Last time I checked - I was a real cyclist - and I couldnt care less what other cyclists wear.
    Yellow, polka dot, be my guest. I just like to see people actually enjoying themselves on bikes.
    Whatever top they are in.

+1 :oops:

lol! The comment did seem out of character :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    got me! ( I realised what an outrageous bike snob I am and how badly I was try to hide the fact!)
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    You've got a new member wishing to ride with your club. MAKE THEM FEEL WELCOME,they are a cyclist the same as you. Never know where that member will end up in a few years....

This forum is quickly turning into a complete joke.
  • pedrojake
    pedrojake Posts: 229
    Thank goodness there are real cyclists to stomp all over these newbies to our sport.

I mean who do they think they are, wearing a cycling jersey they like - on a bike too!
  • You've got a new member wishing to ride with your club. MAKE THEM FEEL WELCOME,they are a cyclist the same as you. Never know where that member will end up in a few years....

This forum is quickly turning into a complete joke.

I do.. sticking stupid arsed posts on here.... hardly going to be a world champion cyclist is he? we like this club of frustrated champions :wink:
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • What a joke, as a newbie to this sport myself and becoming a huge cycling fan this puts me off ever joining a club.
    Let people wear what they want, don't force your views and morals on others.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    dilemna wrote:
    The other newb faces are wearing their own gear, non descript Lycra until they get club kit next season and are fitting in well,

You must ride in club kit and show your affiliation. :roll:
    It's a club, not a team.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • wardieboy
    wardieboy Posts: 230
    When I get really upset about things I go and find a quiet place and give myself some serious tugging abuse, after that the world seems a better place.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    wardieboy wrote:
    When I get really upset about things I go and find a quiet place and give myself some serious tugging abuse, after that the world seems a better place.

Way too much information :lol:
  • Flasher wrote:
    wardieboy wrote:

Way too much information :lol:
    :shock:
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    All these people saying they wouldn't join a club because a couple of people are pretentious idiots. I wear a HTC jersey occasionally on club rides and no ones ever even battered an eyelid.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    DavidJB wrote:
    All these people saying they wouldn't join a club because a couple of people are pretentious idiots. I wear a HTC jersey occasionally on club rides and no ones ever even battered an eyelid.
    Last time I looked, the HTC jersey wasn't a championship jersey.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Battered eyelids? Hmmmm, crispy lids.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • MattC59 wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:

http://bit.ly/p3eYi5
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    MattC59 wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:

Last time I checked he never said it was :wink:
    Think he may have been going for the 'don't wear a jersey you haven't earned angle'
    I'm guessing he's not collecting his last paycheck from Bob Stapleton btw!
  • It's funny there's so much snobbery in cycling. I don't really care for football (bunch of spoilt girls), but I do own some rugby jerseys. Granted I'll never play for England (maybe I should!). But I like rugby, I support the England team, I don't see a problem wearing the shirt!

Saying that, I do have scalping someone in a pokadot jersey up a hill in my lifetime todo list (even if have to stalk them for miles). :)

Oh, I was wearing a rugby jersey a few years ago (they're good when the weather starts getting a bit cooler) and took a corned too fast. My shorts (plus boxers) were ripped apart and wore a hole in my cycling shoes and much of my skin. The jersey though, survived without a scratch..
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    edited October 2011
    MattC59 wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:

Interesting - that jersey. It's the 'promotional' one I think I saw pics of Cav of early on. It breaks about 10 different UCI rules on how the jersey should look (and is therefore different from the actual jersey Cav wore in his last 2 races).

Also interesting to note, that even with all this posturing over people stating that 'if they want to wear a WC jersey, they will', etc - it's one jersey I never see people wearing.

But then again, I don't ride sportives. :lol:

Can someone please explain to me why it's 'snobbery' to have respect for the traditions of the sport - and say that SOME jerseys should be earned and not just purchased? Wouldn't it be snobbery to say you have to wear something nice (like Rapha or Assos) if you want to ride?

I don't get why folks find it so hard to distinguish between your run-of-the-mill Pro Team jersey and a WC jersey. By it's very nature - the WC is a special jersey like no other. It comes with it's own set of rights and responsibilities. Even if it's not the hardest to win, because it is so special amongst the riders themselves, I can see why some leisure cyclists would afford it the same type of respect and not wear it.
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Pokerface wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:

Interesting - that jersey. It's the 'promotional' one I think I saw pics of Cav of early on. It breaks about 10 different UCI rules on how the jersey should look (and is therefore different from the actual jersey Cav wore in his last 2 races).

Also interesting to note, that even with all this posturing over people stating that 'if they want to wear a WC jersey, they will', etc - it's one jersey I never see people wearing.

Now that's below the belt!
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Pokerface wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:

Can someone please explain to me why it's 'snobbery' to have respect for the traditions of the sport - and say that SOME jerseys should be earned and not just purchased? Wouldn't it be snobbery to say you have to wear something nice (like Rapha or Assos) if you want to ride?

I don't get why folks find it so hard to distinguish between your run-of-the-mill Pro Team jersey and a WC jersey. By it's very nature - the WC is a special jersey like no other. It comes with it's own set of rights and responsibilities. Even if it's not the hardest to win, because it is so special amongst the riders themselves, I can see why some leisure cyclists would afford it the same type of respect and not wear it.

Well said.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Oh why did I read this thread????? Its a bloody shirt. It may mean different things to different people but its a bit of cycling kit. Please don't fall off your high horse!
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    DavidJB wrote:

Is that edible?
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Pokerface wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:

So why do they sell the jersey then? Surely such a disrespectful gesture would be spurned by cyclists.
  • The Ors
    The Ors Posts: 130
    Is there a problem (among the snobs) with wearing yellow then?

I bought a yellow top when I got back into cycling because it was bright & might help prevent people from running me over. I think I now understand why every man & his dog seemed desperate to overtake me! :D
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    rodgers73 wrote:

So why do they sell the jersey then? Surely such a disrespectful gesture would be spurned by cyclists.

Because winter brings mucky roads and white is a hard colour to keep clean. I need to buy spare jerseys somewhere! 8)

The folks that sell the jerseys don't give a toss about anything but money. They'd sell you the medal to go with the jersey if they thought anyone would buy one.

It's not some massively disrespectful gesture to wear any piece of cycling clothing, no matter what is looks like or where it came from. But with so many choices, I guess I just look at it as why wear it when I can wear something else. Something more appropriate.

There is lots of really nice club kit out there. But I would feel weird buying it as I belong to a different club! But it's only clothing - right?