Newb to club riding wearing World Champs jersey

Comments

• Ridiculous thread. I've just bought a bianchi world champion shirt not for
    Any reason other than it looking amazing. I think most people will realise I am not in fact world champion.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bia ... gn=froogle
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • Tom Dean wrote:
    To the OP, please give us the name of your club as i want to be sure of never riding with your lot in the future? If you are looking for new members and growing the club, this attitude is a sure fire way of failing.

I have been cycling with my club for 8 years, never worn club colours and even worn the yellow jersey (bought by my wife as a present and yes, she didn't know better!) for a couple of seasons (which is now the only one ' left intact after my Assos was cut off me in hospital recently). Nobody ever mentioned a word about what I was wearing or not wearing, at least to my face.

Our club has grown substantially, probably near doubled in the last couple of years. At a guess, yours probably won't with that attitude.

PS. Just read the original post again, wow LOL.

I agree that we shouldn't put restrictions on newcomers but why would you not wear club kit after 8 years of membership? Do you not want to be associated with your clubmates? Or are the colours just really horrible?

The latter mate, plus, I'm very much into comfortable material and a bit picky anyway :D
    Summer - Dolan Tuono with Sram Force and Dura-Ace 7850 CL Carbon wheels
    Winter - old faithful Ribble winter bike
    SugarSync cloud storage referral link (better than DropBox atm imho) https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=mzo2tcrhm5gn
  • I can see hipsters wearing UCI Champion jerseys for ironic effect
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    charliew87 wrote:
    Ridiculous thread. I've just bought a bianchi world champion shirt not for
    Any reason other than it looking amazing. I think most people will realise I am not in fact world champion.

I agree. I like that Bianchi one.

My comments were made with people wearing new, unbranded rainbow jerseys in mind.
  • charliew87 wrote:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bia ... gn=froogle

Oooh. Nice. Bit disrespectful to wear that if you aren't actually from Milan though.
    Riding the Etape du Tour for Beating Bowel Cancer - click to donate http://bit.ly/P9eBbM
  • Pokerface wrote:
    charliew87 wrote:

My comments were made with people wearing new, unbranded rainbow jerseys in mind.

LOL, I agree, this thread is becoming ridiculous.

So, its okay to wear branded WC jerseys but not okay to wear unbranded WC jerseys?

Cudos to you for getting the WC jersey but this whole argument smacks of elitism, snobbery. I can remember when I first started cycling in the Peak District, their was a guy who started on a bike with a shopping basket attached to the handlebars and he ripped my legs and most of the other club members completely off on a climb. Did people take the piss, no!
    SugarSync cloud storage referral link (better than DropBox atm imho) https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=mzo2tcrhm5gn
  • Sorry, being a bit facetious there.

The whole concept of respecting the jersey and its traditions is nice and all, but it won't make sense to most people. And why should it? You might see armchair football fans wearing England shirts to the supermarket, and so what? But I doubt you'd see a Premiership footballer turning up to training in one.

Truth is there's hardly anyone who rides a bike who has a shot at a world championship. Good on you Pokerface for winning yours, but the only way I'll get to wear the rainbow stripes is by buying them. If I was rubbing shoulders with the pros then maybe that would be disrespectful but on a Sunday club run I really don't see the problem.
    Riding the Etape du Tour for Beating Bowel Cancer - click to donate http://bit.ly/P9eBbM
  • Sorry, being a bit facetious there.

The whole concept of respecting the jersey and its traditions is nice and all, but it won't make sense to most people. And why should it? You might see armchair football fans wearing England shirts to the supermarket, and so what? But I doubt you'd see a Premiership footballer turning up to training in one.

Truth is there's hardly anyone who rides a bike who has a shot at a world championship. Good on you Pokerface for winning yours, but the only way I'll get to wear the rainbow stripes is by buying them. If I was rubbing shoulders with the pros then maybe that would be disrespectful but on a Sunday club run I really don't see the problem.

+1, this!
  • nhoj
    nhoj Posts: 129
    Battered eyelids are a delicacy up north.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,657
    I can remember when I first started cycling in the Peak District, their was a guy who started on a bike with a shopping basket attached to the handlebars and he ripped my legs and most of the other club members completely off on a climb!
    I wonder whether I should remove the shopping basket with the World Champion stripes from my SuperSix? I thought it looked quite cool...
  • The funny thing is that a discussion about battered eyelids is far more sensible than talking about the subject that the original (troll) poster started.

I imagine that pigs' eyelids battered would be very tasty indeed. In fact I keep pigs and I might try it - they go to slaughter next month and I might report back. Amazing how a typo in a silly forum thread can lead to such a brilliant idea!

Back to the really ridiculous subject. . .I can't believe that anyone would seriously believe that one jersey or another is appropriate or not, so I assume all such postings are a wind-ups. Or maybe these people should stop cycling and join a golf club where they can tut-tut to their hearts' content about what one should or shouldn't wear, or what car one should drive to the golf club or other such things that people who don't have a life get their knickers in a twist over.

Entertaining indeed, though, to laugh at such narrow minded people - the fact that they would air such views on a public forum makes it even funnier.
  • c0ugars
    c0ugars Posts: 202
    does the same apply to riding a team replica bike???
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    edited October 2011
    DavidJB wrote:
    All these people saying they wouldn't join a club because a couple of people are pretentious idiots. I wear a HTC jersey occasionally on club rides and no ones ever even battered an eyelid.

Is that edible?

Yes. Nom!

There are a lot of replies about my typo. If that's the highlight of the thread then it really shows the OP how crap this thread is.
  • Cliveyp
    Cliveyp Posts: 173
    edited October 2011
    Now i'm concerned about meeting up with the local club guys if I just happen to be out on a ride when they are (I dont pitch myself as serious or good enough to join club rides)......i tend to go out in what ever t-shirt I pull out of the wardrobe (normally a surfing/skating make....i don't surf or skate therefore i'm not entitled to wear them) and baggy shorts or trousers depending on temperature.....what are these guys gonna think of me?!?!?!? Nothing against the guys that do, but personally I wouldn't be seens dead in lycra! :lol:
    2015 Ridley Fenix 105
    2012 Cube Ltd SL
    2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold
    2001 Giant Boulder - Sold
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    MattC59 wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:
    All these people saying they wouldn't join a club because a couple of people are pretentious idiots. I wear a HTC jersey occasionally on club rides and no ones ever even battered an eyelid.
    Last time I looked, the HTC jersey wasn't a championship jersey.

Didn't say it was. But some people moan about that as well.
  • DavidJB wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:
    Last time I looked, the HTC jersey wasn't a championship jersey.

Didn't say it was. But some people moan about that as well.

If that's the highlight of the thread then it really shows the OP how crap this thread is.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • KulaBen
    KulaBen Posts: 220
    On a slightly different tack- I bought a Sky top in the summer because I was really proud by what the team had achieved, especially in the Vuelta. Now I feel it has been tarnished by the Murdoch Hacking scandal, so I now never wear it. I'm quite happy to be called Geraint or Wiggo as I wheeze my way uphill, sweating profusely, I just don't want to be associated with those Aussie Tw@s.

Back to the OP- I wear my England rugby shirt with pride, knowing as I fall out of the pub in a state I am upholding the wonderful traditions of the institution!
  • Cliveyp wrote:
    Now i'm concerned about meeting up with the local club guys if I just happen to be out on a ride when they are (I dont pitch myself as serious or good enough to join club rides)......i tend to go out in what ever t-shirt I pull out of the wardrobe (normally a surfing/skating make....i don't surf or skate therefore i'm not entitled to wear them) and baggy shorts or trousers depending on temperature.....what are these guys gonna think of me?!?!?!? Nothing against the guys that do, but personally I wouldn't be seens dead in lycra! :lol:
    your not a "real" cyclist then are you :P
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    KulaBen wrote:
    On a slightly different tack- I bought a Sky top in the summer because I was really proud by what the team had achieved, especially in the Vuelta. Now I feel it has been tarnished by the Murdoch Hacking scandal, so I now never wear it.

You thought that it wasn't tarnished before the latest scandal? :shock:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207
    I'm pretty sure the hacking scandal preceded the Vuelta!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Pross wrote:

Either way - I wonder when it became common knowledge to all but poor KulaBen that Rupert Murdoch was a crooked scumbag and everything he is involved with is tainted by the devil!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Either way - I wonder when it became common knowledge to all but poor KulaBen that Rupert Murdoch was a crooked scumbag and everything he is involved with is tainted by the devil!
    Exactly - it's not as if it wasn't common knowledge before the hacking scandal :lol: Also worth pointing out that Sky isn't a NewsCorp business, they're just (very) significant shareholders in it.

Whatever you think about Sky and Murdoch in particular, they have pumped a lot of money into cycling at all levels in this country over the last few years.

Also, Adidas have done good job with the jersey and it's very comfortable... :D
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Will buy and wear the Sky WC jersey as soon it's available.

Cav is a god :lol:

As for the OP if there is a 'quiet word' I hope the guy tells them to f*ck off and and he goes to ride elsewhere.
  • Cliveyp
    Cliveyp Posts: 173
    Cliveyp wrote:
    your not a "real" cyclist then are you :P

Obviously not......will I get a stern talking to if I run into the local club boys??
    2015 Ridley Fenix 105
    2012 Cube Ltd SL
    2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold
    2001 Giant Boulder - Sold
  • Cliveyp wrote:

Man you need to try a proper cycle jersey (even a team replica :lol: ), then hide some cycling shorts under your baggy shorts. There's a reason we wear this stuff and it's not just to look sexy (if I don't say so myself).
  • Scotxr
    Scotxr Posts: 172
    Pokerface wrote:
    charliew87 wrote:

LOL, I agree, this thread is becoming ridiculous.

So, its okay to wear branded WC jerseys but not okay to wear unbranded WC jerseys?

Cudos to you for getting the WC jersey but this whole argument smacks of elitism, snobbery. I can remember when I first started cycling in the Peak District, their was a guy who started on a bike with a shopping basket attached to the handlebars and he ripped my legs and most of the other club members completely off on a climb. Did people take the wee-wee, no!

+1 to this.
    Santa Cruz Blur XC
    Nicolai Helius FR
    Planet X Carbon RED
  • Gazzaputt wrote:
    Will buy and wear the Sky WC jersey as soon it's available.

Cav is a god :lol:

As for the OP if there is a 'quiet word' I hope the guy tells them to f*ck off and and he goes to ride elsewhere.
    +1
  • Just wish all I had to worry about in life was what shirt someone I barely know was wearing..
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    ok confession time. Before i was walking properly again and i was sitting at home watching eurosport getting fully hooked- i bought the rainbow jersey(the quick step Boonen as it happens-not that i cared- sorry rick) It became a motivational tool for me, and when i started cycling and was completely useless i loved to wear it.
    Now i've progressed to fairly useless, got a nice bike, shave me legs and post rubbish on a cycling forum ...well i dont wear it anymore. I still love the look of it but.....
    WOW i am a spineless tosser. :lol:

If its anyone else they can wear what the hell they like(but if i'm strong enough i shall attempt to destroy them mwahahaha)
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    There was a guy in North Wales who used to ride in the full QS Belgian Champ kit (he did look a bit like Tom). I never met him, I just always recognised him because he stood out amongst all the Rhos on Sea CC jerseys.

But he rode a Trek...Fail!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver