Newb to club riding wearing World Champs jersey

Comments

• total madness

and therefore, i blame Wiggle :)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Good points LangerDan and cookie monster (albeit controversial!)!

Certainly a good drugs scandal (which I assume is what you meant) would devalue the jersey far more for me than seeing a few club riders wearing one.

Plus the amateur race parts of BC seem to think that emulating the UCI is a good thing!!! :roll:

Bobby - I can't believe no one has posted that yet!!! Fail on all of us!!! :wink:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Blimey it's all handbags over here isn't it.
    You can tell the season is over.

My new arm warmers have WC stripes on them. I think I will cope tho and not give a Toss
    What anyone else thinks.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    cougie wrote:
    My new arm warmers have WC stripes on them. I think I will cope tho and not give a Toss
    What anyone else thinks.

Ooooooh. Where did you get them!? I need some :D
  • CrackFox
    CrackFox Posts: 287
    Pokerface wrote:
    No one should EVER be put off from jointing a club based on something they read on an internet forum (especially such an isolated instance/attitude).

I agree - there are far better reasons to be put off from joining a club, such as the club jersey. I'm sure more new members would happily forsake their WC/pro-team/tour leader jerseys if their own club kit didn't look like it was designed by a four year old using flouro markers. :(
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Road WC will always wear their stripes whilst training. The sponsors want to see their name on it in photos, etc. Cav will be in that jersey all the time for the next 11 months or so if he's racing or training.

Tony Martin won't be seen in his unless racing I'd say.

Me - I'll wear mine on and off. More so once sponsors are signed up so I can promote them.

My last word on it is your perspective on this debate changes a little once you have a dog in the fight.

Surely you woukd have a better chance of attracting a sponsor if you could say 1000's of other cyclist will be advertising their products at the same time!

If I don't watch time trials there is a very slim chance I am going to see your sponsors name on your jersey.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Pokerface wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    What anyone else thinks.

Prendas:
    http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?typ=typ&fkid=43&ID=2799

20101027_PC_Arms_Iride_BI.jpg
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    LangerDan wrote:
    I find it more than a little ironic that some of those who have won the right to wear the rainbow stripes over the years have done far, far more damage to the tradition and standing of the World Championship - and, indeed, cycling in general - than anyone who rocked up to a club ride wearing a replica jersey.

What damage has been done and by whom?
  • nhoj
    nhoj Posts: 129
    I'm a secret black sock wearer.
    Hello. My name's Nhoj, and I wear white socks with black shoes.

God, what a relief. Now, no jokes about John Travolta.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    MikeWW wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    MikeWW wrote:
    We are so far apart in views that its perhaps not worth debating too much

I'm guessing you haven't won much have you?
    Do you actually race or just lurk about on here?

Are you serious? Really? What on earth has it got to do with anything whether I race or not? Do you know what forum you are posting on? As for lurking, I'd have thought it was fairly obvious I don't lurk.

Do you actually ever even read what people post?

Well you asked what it said about you and I have made a comment.
    Any chance of answering the question?

Oh go on then. I didn't bother answering as I thought you were being rhetorical and you'd ignored my question in the previous post (so I am a bit surprised you are so keen for me to answer yours).

So, I have 'won much' - just not in anything related to cycle racing or cycling. I never made a big deal of it and I didn't frame the certificates and hang them on the wall.

I have never raced - it isn't something that at present I have any particular wish to do. One day, maybe I'd like to have a go to see what it is like but I am happy just testing myself against myself for now (aside from a judicious bit of results sorting by time of Sportives I have entered).

I can push myself. I rode 10,000 miles last year. Pros ride a lot more but they don't have a 9 to 5 job to fit it in around. Plenty of people push themselves hard and do it purely for their own satisfaction. I don't begrudge the W/Cs the pleasure of their jerseys but I just don't want to be in a club where people get po-faced about things that are this trivial.

There you go - I've answered your question even though you never answered mine. I claim the moral high ground :lol:

PS and please don't go all 'get a life' on us. You can't have it both ways. If you had 'more of a life' than anyone else here presumably we wouldn't have had the benefit of your contribution so far.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ^- I think the implication was that IF you race, your attitude towards wearing jerseys that designate race winners might be different. As you've now stated that you don't and haven't raced, this will back up the other posters supposition.

Unless I missed what he was getting at.
  • JN11
    JN11 Posts: 3
    I wish I was a world champion :?
  • i just realised (sorry totally new to this road lark) from the picture of the arm warmers that i have WC socks! White with rainbow rings!

how cool am i!
  • I am not sure what reaction I'm going to get for this......
    I used to have a track jersey that wasn't the WC but very akin to it, same colours different order or one colour different can't remember precisely. I wore it just to taunt the commissaires, "You can't wear that, it is a WC jersey"...."No it isn't " and so on.
    Then I wondered why the commissaires picked on me!

I hasten to add I am more mature now...I think
  • rolf_f
    ^- I think the implication was that IF you race, your attitude towards wearing jerseys that designate race winners might be different. As you've now stated that you don't and haven't raced, this will back up the other posters supposition.

Unless I missed what he was getting at.

Who knows - he didn't say! It's a fair point but it wouldn't change my opinion if I did race. The jerseys are, IMO, a prize for wearing in races and the discussion is about what you wear outside races.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Tom Dean wrote:
    LangerDan wrote:
    I find it more than a little ironic that some of those who have won the right to wear the rainbow stripes over the years have done far, far more damage to the tradition and standing of the World Championship - and, indeed, cycling in general - than anyone who rocked up to a club ride wearing a replica jersey.

If you look at the "Elite Mens" category over the last 20 years, there have been 37 titles between road race and TT (the elite mens TT only started in 1994). Out of those 37 titles

1 rider was subsequently disqualified and had to hand the title back

7 titles went to riders who have been convicted of doping offences

1 went to a rider who, while he never testest positive, admitted doping during court proceedings

1 went to a rider who failed UCI health checks and internal team blood checks and was subsequently fired for the latter

Plus two other title holders are the subject of ongoing doping investigations.

In other words, somewhere between 1-in-3 and 1-in-4 holders of a world elite mens title in the past two decades have doped during their career.

When people speak of the "tradition" of the World Champion , I guess that's not what they had in mind.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yes Pokerface - the prendas Meraklon ones. Cracking armwarmers and only £8. And the only ones I've had that dont fall down !
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    LangerDan wrote:
    Tom Dean wrote:
    LangerDan wrote:

If you look at the "Elite Mens" category over the last 20 years, there have been 37 titles between road race and TT (the elite mens TT only started in 1994). Out of those 37 titles

1 rider was subsequently disqualified and had to hand the title back

7 titles went to riders who have been convicted of doping offences

1 went to a rider who, while he never testest positive, admitted doping during court proceedings

1 went to a rider who failed UCI health checks and internal team blood checks and was subsequently fired for the latter

Plus two other title holders are the subject of ongoing doping investigations.

In other words, somewhere between 1-in-3 and 1-in-4 holders of a world elite mens title in the past two decades have doped during their career.

When people speak of the "tradition" of the World Champion , I guess that's not what they had in mind.

Fair enough, but I don't think any of that has damaged the prestige of the world championships. Seems to fit pretty well with the traditions of the sport too!

Maybe the MAMILs wearing the stripes on a Sunday morning should consider the pro-doping message this gives out.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I claim 1st prize to spot WC colours being used (top left for the colour blind) and not only that, it is p ing down outside here
    http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2011/10/ ... in-sydney/
    they may have spotted rainbow stripes on a bikini...
  • McBoom wrote:
    Anyone know what the stance is on looking at pictures of the current world chamion's girlfriend's breasts on the internet as a mark of respect is?

It's fine, unless she's wearing an unzipped WC jersey ;)

She shouldn't be wearing any sort of WC jersey as she hasn't 'earned' it. :wink:
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Pokerface wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    What anyone else thinks.

You don't GET them, PF, you have to EARN them. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I've got a Ritchey stem, with the WC colours on, can I use it or will people think it's the world champion ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    A pub nearby has the WC flag fluttering outside, should I not go in there for a drink as I am not a WC like all the other men in there. :?
  • nhoj
    nhoj Posts: 129
    JN11 wrote:
    I wish I was a world champion :?
    Oh, but you can be! And for only £39.99...
  • rolf_f
    It rained the other day. I chased after the big arc in the sky shouting "You have to earn those stripes - just appearing after a rainstorm is nothing compared to what others had to do" but people just laughed at me :(
  • ddraver
    Rolf F wrote:
    It rained the other day. I chased after the big arc in the sky shouting "You have to earn those stripes - just appearing after a rainstorm is nothing compared to what others had to do" but people just laughed at me :(

Very good! :lol:
    - @ddraver
  • Hi - Is the Jersey still for sale?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ddraver
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12807721

[camp voice] Oohh this guys gonna be in *trouble* [/camp voice]
    - @ddraver
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    ddraver wrote:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12807721

[camp voice] Oohh this guys gonna be in *trouble* [/camp voice]

:shock:

My god, something needs to be done about this, something needs to be done, about...him. :twisted:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207
    Colin, just out of interest will you be able to wear your jersey in all BC events or will it be limited to paracycling races?