Newb to club riding wearing World Champs jersey

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,796
    Pokerface wrote:
    To anyone who says a WC jersey is just another jersey and if you can buy it, you can wear it, etc - I say yes. Of course you can. Wear what you want and so on ad infinitum.

However, anyone with the slightest respect for the history and traditions of cycling wouldn't wear a WC jersey. It's just one of those things that really should be earned. This doesn't apply to other team kit, or other replica kit from other sports.

In the past I would (personally) never dream of wearing WC kit unless I had actually earned it.

And even now that I can legitimately wear it, I feel a little odd about wearing it. Because my jersey is the same as that of Tony Martin and hate people seeing me and thinking I'm just another guy who bought a WC jersey to wear out on club runs.

Once I get personalized kit with my own sponsor logos added, then I'll wear it with more pride.

As to the newbs on club runs wearing it - they probably don't know that some people don't like it. I recall earlier this year when I was leading the World Cup and had a special jersey, a new guy showed up to my club TT wearing the full World Cup leaders skinsuit. Obviously bought off eBay. I suppose I could have had a word to say it wasn't cool, but life is too short.

I don't see a problem politely telling a newb that some people might find it disrespectful to wear a WC on a club run. They can wear it the other 6 days of the week if they want.

The only thing I would get upset about is someone else wearing a WC jersey and pretending they won it! Same goes for anyone who wears national team kit. You know who you are....

I Hope you only war while racing in a TT :wink:
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • This argument has gone from the rights and wrongs of wearing WC stripes on a club run to a pointless discussion about whether they can be worn at all. A lot of clubs have strong racing traditions and are especially sensitive to unearned jerseys. Also many newbies don't appreciate the sacrifices that go into running a cycling club - timekeeping, marshalling etc. That members should wear club kit is little to ask in return - I'm immensely proud to wear mine. Also the Op should point out to his WC kit guy that wearing club kit means he'll get the help of other club members - we all need a wheel to sit on sometimes.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207
    Surely any new club member or prospective club member should get a chance to ride for a while before buying club kit though? I'd like to see all my club's established members wearing club kit (many don't, including one of the sponsors) but I would expect someone to have a month or two riding with us before getting club kit as a) they might not like the club and b) it is quite an expense to get fully kitted out.
  • From the OP's post it sounds like World Champ doesn't intend to wear club kit even when he joins
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Quick question. My other bibs are in the wash and I need to get some mega energy bars for tomorrows ride. What are peoples thoughts on wearing a GB skinsuit to pop down to ASDA's?
  • I agree
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    FFS, this is precisely the reason why I don't want to join a club

Silly little rules and silly little minds

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Scotxr
    Scotxr Posts: 172
    This argument has gone from the rights and wrongs of wearing WC stripes on a club run to a pointless discussion about whether they can be worn at all. A lot of clubs have strong racing traditions and are especially sensitive to unearned jerseys. Also many newbies don't appreciate the sacrifices that go into running a cycling club - timekeeping, marshalling etc. That members should wear club kit is little to ask in return - I'm immensely proud to wear mine. Also the Op should point out to his WC kit guy that wearing club kit means he'll get the help of other club members - we all need a wheel to sit on sometimes.

What an attitude. Wear a club kit or get no help?? I'm sure most will be glad they're nowhere near your "club".
    Santa Cruz Blur XC
    Nicolai Helius FR
    Planet X Carbon RED
  • I've yet to hear anyone say 'I was in a club and all the people were t0ssers and it did nothing for me'. All the antipathy comes from people who have never been in a club.
  • btw - that is not say there are no t0ssers in my own club - there are, loads of them. But thats life not cycling clubs.
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    I've yet to hear anyone say 'I was in a club and all the people were t0ssers and it did nothing for me'. All the antipathy comes from people who have never been in a club.

I agree.
    WC kit aside we don't require people to be members to ride with the club however nearly all of them choose to join and find the club very inclusive despite what some on here might think. In fact our membership has trebled in the last 12 months. Once they are members we request that they wear club kit as much as possible partly because it keeps our sponsors happy. Again not an issue-it has been harder keeping enough kit in stock to satisfy demand.
    Coaching sessions from qualified coaches are available for all youths and adults (whether they are members or not) and there are strong links with other clubs and coaches as well. I do hope people give their local clubs a try and most would understand the ethos a bit better
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    "MikeWW wrote:
    Once they are members we request that they wear club kit as much as possible partly because it keeps our sponsors happy.

That's not the point though. You have a genuine reason to wear club kit but presumably if someone was poorer, you'd be OK with them just wearing a jersey if they could nt afford the whole kit? Or if they were new and wanted to try club riding out for a few months before joining you would let them. (dunno about yours, but the club here won't let you buy kit unless you re a member)

But would you tell them NOT to wear something, in this case a WC jersey, because of some "tradition"?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    SecretSam wrote:

Nice slagging off there.

Clubs obviously have rules - you couldnt have one without.

If you join a sponsored club - its fair to expect you to do at least some of the club runs in the club kit ? You'll have to race in it after all.

I dont think you'd find a single british Pro that hasnt been in a club to begin with ?

Clubs arent just about petty rules - its about racing, putting on events, and encouraging their members. If theres no clubs - who puts on the races Sam ?

Would Cav have been able to get started if he thought like you ?

Better off to be in a club actively taking part and able to change rules rather than being bitter and twisted about rules that you cant change ?
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    SecretSam wrote:

They probably wouldn't want you anyway
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Pross wrote:
    Colin, just out of interest will you be able to wear your jersey in all BC events or will it be limited to paracycling races?

I'll wear it in all TT events - whether CTT Open events, local club events or International races. I'll even wear it training (for TTs natch!)

But won't wear it for road or track stuff - and BC don't host any TT's!

I'll be gunning for more stripes on the track in February, and then we can have this debate all over again! 8)
  • MikeWW
    ddraver wrote:
    "MikeWW wrote:
    Once they are members we request that they wear club kit as much as possible partly because it keeps our sponsors happy.

That's not the point though. You have a genuine reason to wear club kit but presumably if someone was poorer, you'd be OK with them just wearing a jersey if they could nt afford the whole kit? Or if they were new and wanted to try club riding out for a few months before joining you would let them. (dunno about yours, but the club here won't let you buy kit unless you re a member)

But would you tell them NOT to wear something, in this case a WC jersey, because of some "tradition"?
    [/quote]

If they couldn't afford the kit (although its subsidised ) or chose not to wear it that would not be a problem. People can ride with the club as long as they like with no obligation to join as well.
    The WC jersey thing is different though. We have had someone turn up in a WC jersey a few times. Nothing was said because he was new and we would not want to put him off and it wasn't the most important issue in the world either. However once he had settled in someone would have had a quiet word.
    Why? well is part of the ethos that most racing clubs feel. In addition as I alluded to in my very first post we have a guy in the club who has spent the last 15 years trying to earn one. He has sacrificed everything in pursuit of this and finally achieved it on the track at the Masters-details here http://www.thisistamworth.co.uk/Cycling-Truelove-produces-truly-masterful-ride/story-13610739-detail/story.html
    Now he would only wear this on the track but everyone knows he has it and we are hugely proud of his achievement.Nobody who is in the club would dream of just buying one and wearing it on a club ride. It makes perfect sense to us and its not even a rule its the way a racing club and its members feel about National jerseys/GB kit WC jerseys. It doesn't apply to replica kit (HTC etc) because its clearly just replica kit. Again its not a written down rule its an understanding.
    I've tried to give you a more rounded reply. Inevitably some people will have an issue but there it is
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    Pokerface wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Colin, just out of interest will you be able to wear your jersey in all BC events or will it be limited to paracycling races?

I'll wear it in all TT events - whether CTT Open events, local club events or International races. I'll even wear it training (for TTs natch!)
    8)

Respect on winning the title Pokerface. Its a commendable achievement.

Given what you said above is it possible for several WC's to turn up at one of these TT's because they won the title in different categories....or for you to do an open race in WC kit against Wiggins and Millar?. If so I would have a problem with that. Other than the generic WC's (eg Cav) and gender based distinctions, all the other WC's are category based, restricted in their catchment and of varying standards.

Providing the category WC's only wear their kit when racing the specific event and against solely the category they raced to win it, thats fine. To wear it in races that contain "stronger" categories would be inappropriate as they would be claiming to be something they are not, which is the exact criticism of those who buy them.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    lyn1 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Pross wrote:

8)

Respect on winning the title Pokerface. Its a commendable achievement.

Given what you said above is it possible for several WC's to turn up at one of these TT's because they won the title in different categories....or for you to do an open race in WC kit against Wiggins and Millar?. If so I would have a problem with that. Other than the generic WC's (eg Cav) and gender based distinctions, all the other WC's are category based, restricted in their catchment and of varying standards.

Providing the category WC's only wear their kit when racing the specific event and against solely the category they raced to win it, thats fine. To wear it in races that contain "stronger" categories would be inappropriate as they would be claiming to be something they are not, which is the exact criticism of those who buy them.

Millar and Wiggins aren't World Champions (nor will they ever be). So it's unlikely that the issue of 'several World Champions' turning up to race will ever happen. Certainly not in any event that I'll be riding.

There is no provision that I wear my kit ONLY in category-based racing. And I'm pretty sure that no one will ever confuse me with Tony Martin. Things were easier a few years ago when Paracycling WC kit was green instead of white. But now it's all the same and I have just as much right to wear my white kit as TOny Martin, regardless of what event I'm in.

I see Sarah Storey riding in her WC kit all the time and to my knowledge, it has not caused any problems.

I see the point but I also would think that anyone can clearly see the difference between a WC champion has rightly 'earned' the honour of wearing the kit and someone who just bought it.

EDIT PS: I asked the head of the CTT about this and not only was there no problem with wearing the Stripes in Open events, he encouraged it. Rightly or wrongly....
  • RoadyForever
    RoadyForever Posts: 170
    edited October 2011
    I'm going to buy a pokadot jersey, I hit a climbing rate of 1500m/hour earlier (for a few seconds) - so I feel entitled. If that does p155 the snobs off, that's a bonus. Oh and I like yellow too 8)
    I'm not wearing any rainbows, that could be confused with another category of riders!
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    I dont think HARDLY ANYONE on here is all that rabid about this. If anyones getting put off a club they.re pretty sensitive little creatures(bless) Mosts views expressed are pretty mild dont you think?
    our club- most of us wear club kit because we want to. sometimes we dont- nobody complains. me personally i like the whole big group in the same kit blasting along on each others wheel 8)
    Sometimes theres replica kit- not a word.
    I suspect most clubs are like ours and full of nice people(with the odd nob just like the real world :roll: )
    If we were prepared to admit it then arent we all capable of being nobs occasionally?
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • MikeWW
    I'm going to buy a pokadot jersey, I hit a climbing rate of 1500m/hour earlier (for a few seconds) - so I feel entitled. If that does p155 the snobs off, that's a bonus. Oh and I like yellow too 8)

Don't I not wearing any rainbows, that could be confused with another category of riders!

Good for you. Maybe you ought to link up with gasman dave and Rolf F...think you would all get on great :D
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    What a load of bollox!!

If no-one other than the WC or past-WC are entitled to wear the jersy then why on earth do they make replicas for sale? Let me guess so we can mount them on the wall. For goodness sake grow up.

Just imagine if the same attitude was adopted for all replica kit and we all stopped buying it. Well the sponsors would start to disappear and as a result the funding the racing scene would be downgraded and bike development would falter and then we wouldn't be able to lust after all that unaffordable erotica......... The entire sport would be fooked.

Give the lad a break and let him wear what he wants.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    What the monkey said.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Navrig wrote:
    What a load of bollox!!

If no-one other than the WC or past-WC are entitled to wear the jersy then why on earth do they make replicas for sale? Let me guess so we can mount them on the wall. For goodness sake grow up.

Just imagine if the same attitude was adopted for all replica kit and we all stopped buying it. Well the sponsors would start to disappear and as a result the funding the racing scene would be downgraded and bike development would falter and then we wouldn't be able to lust after all that unaffordable erotica......... The entire sport would be fooked.

Well said.
  • i'd like to ad my tuppence worth to this thread...

i got back on a bike after must be 15 years to do my daily commute to the station and back (3 miles in total). i bought an old mountain bike off ebay for £30 and found it hard work and was quite knackered by the time i got to the station. as i got fitter i started to enjoy my ride more and more. i progressed to a hybrid and started going for rides for fun. i recently invested in a racer and done the Manchester 100K is September, this was a massive milepost for me! the more i ride the more the bug is gripping me and i would eventually like to join a local club once i feel quick enough to keep up.

plonkers like the OP merely add to concerns of guys like myself, newbies keen to progress but a little intimidated by more experienced riders, he would probasbly poo poo me for wearing my sportsdirect karimoor shorts and dayglow orange T-Shirt (the wife already takes the piss)...

I actually like the colourful jerseys and would choose one purely on the colour matching my bike (yellow/black), sorry athletes but i havent got the foggiest who you are and dont follow the sport but good luck to you all and kudos for the hard graft you guys put in :)

any
  • jim453 wrote:
    What the monkey said.

lol@what the monkey said...
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    jimbo0023 wrote:
    jim453 wrote:
    What the monkey said.

lol@what the monkey said...

+1 :lol:
  • MikeWW
    jimbo0023 wrote:
    i'd like to ad my tuppence worth to this thread...

i got back on a bike after must be 15 years to do my daily commute to the station and back (3 miles in total). i bought an old mountain bike off ebay for £30 and found it hard work and was quite knackered by the time i got to the station. as i got fitter i started to enjoy my ride more and more. i progressed to a hybrid and started going for rides for fun. i recently invested in a racer and done the Manchester 100K is September, this was a massive milepost for me! the more i ride the more the bug is gripping me and i would eventually like to join a local club once i feel quick enough to keep up.

plonkers like the OP merely add to concerns of guys like myself, newbies keen to progress but a little intimidated by more experienced riders, he would probasbly poo poo me for wearing my sportsdirect karimoor shorts and dayglow orange T-Shirt (the wife already takes the wee-wee)...

I actually like the colourful jerseys and would choose one purely on the colour matching my bike (yellow/black), sorry athletes but i havent got the foggiest who you are and dont follow the sport but good luck to you all and kudos for the hard graft you guys put in :)

any

It really isn't like you think. 3 years ago I turned up on a club session( I had no idea what was going on) on a closed circuit. Peaked MTB helmet, muddy mountain bike shoes and whatever kit. Nobody cared. Was persuaded to join the session and got loads of encouragement. People turn up in trainers, toe straps, £50 bikes and £5k bikes. it just doesn't matter as the common interest is riding bikes and enjoying it. If a newb is struggling they are given encouragement and helped, -we have all been there at some point or other. The OP isn't as you describe him IMO and I don't think most of the club riders have been as dismissive of people who are newer to cycling as vice versa
  • Isn't everyone getting a little worked up over nothing?

I'm new to riding and wouldn't wear a team jersey or WC/yellow/polka dot kit like I wouldn't with a football kit cos I ain't a ted.

That said can't really see why anyone woud get the arse with those that do.

Life's too short surely? Live and let live.

I'm looking at joining a club soon and I'm pretty sure I won't this put me off :lol:
  • Scotxr
    Scotxr Posts: 172
    Navrig wrote:
    What a load of bollox!!

Navrig, another Scottish Monkey speaks sense :wink:
    Santa Cruz Blur XC
    Nicolai Helius FR
    Planet X Carbon RED