Chinese Oakleys.

Comments

• Retro1702
    Retro1702 Posts: 135
    Just found this thread after seeing it mentioned elsewhere.

A few months on, how are people getting on with their Chinoakleys?
    Tempted but will more than likely go down the route of putting genuine lenses in them.
    Also, how do the earsocks compare to the real thing or would you need to invest in spare earsocks too?

To the guys who posted about original Frogskins earlier in the thread, "shiningstar" doesn't do them, but he does do the modern version of Holbrook's http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110807162124

I tried to contact the email address on their listings to see if they would comibne postage on two orders but never got a reply, something else that made me stop and think before hitting 'Buy-it-Now'

Presumably, nobody has had any Paypal issues after their purchases either?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I got mine back in December.. and in comparision to my genuine radars, they are 'tight' fitting but nevertheless comfortable and non fogging. There is a very discernable quality gap tho at close quarters. I havent swapped the lenses about much but to me the hinges seem robust enough to last a year or so.
    Nobody has called fake on me even after they have seen my riding.
  • I can't praise them highly enough,
    I've worn them three to four times a week for three months ish.
    They are as good as new, one pal who owns genuine ones was stunned at the quality for the price in comparison to originals.
    Mates are so impressed I've bought 5 pairs now.
    Can't see any downsides to the deal.

Get em bought!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The only downside to my purchase was they didn't come with clear lenses but I'll grab some genuine clear lenses soon. For the time being I'll stick with my clear Bolles for night rides.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Fake or real they still make me look like a knob okay more of a knob than the huge belly stuffed into lycra.

My poor children and wife what they have to put up with honestly.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    The UCI intend to ban eyewear from March 1st. Apparantly an Australian firm have developed a roadside radar device which can analyse the Iris and detect signs of drug use, but glasses distort the image.

The ban will apply to sportives and club runs too as they reckon that's where early dope abuse starts.
  • Smokin Joe wrote:
    The UCI intend to ban eyewear from March 1st. Apparantly an Australian firm have developed a roadside radar device which can analyse the Iris and detect signs of drug use, but glasses distort the image.

The ban will apply to sportives and club runs too as they reckon that's where early dope abuse starts.

About time too!!
  • Big Mo
    Big Mo Posts: 7
    Anyone have a more recent place to buy the Chinese Oakleys that they could recommend.
    Some of these posts are quite old now.
  • Update - both the nose pieces from my Choakleys have cracked. Clearly made from inferior plastic / rubber. Mind you, have had many months of use out of them and intend to buy some genuine replacement nose pieces which shouldn't cost the earth so still quids in. The frames themselves are still perfectly serviceable.
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I use mine with genuine lenses, nose piece and ear socks.

Cannot fault the frames but the lenses, nose piece and socks aren't that good.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    dblspeed wrote:
    was anybody able to get clear lens from one these sellers?

I bought some of these off ebay and am very happy with them - mine came with 5 lens - those included a clear lens, a mirrored one, smoked, yellow and a polorized one.

All for about £16 I think
  • Update - both the nose pieces from my Choakleys have cracked. Clearly made from inferior plastic / rubber. Mind you, have had many months of use out of them and intend to buy some genuine replacement nose pieces which shouldn't cost the earth so still quids in. The frames themselves are still perfectly serviceable.

Further update, the genuine Oakley nose pieces don't fit the Choakley frames - I just tried taking the ones off my real Oakleys to check before shelling out for more and they don't sit properly and you can't clip everything together correctly.

This could be then end of the road for my Choakleys…. :( Oh well, £18 still well spent given the use I've had out of them.

Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • talking of Chinese rip offs….er…sorry…. I mean carefully crafted "alternatives to genuine products", anyone see that stall at the NEC shamelessly selling copies of helmets. There were some very obvious copies, Kask, Specialized to name but 2. If I remember correctly (could be wrong on this as was knackered and hungover) the brand was called "Genuine" - oh the irony !! haha

Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    Think I got better fakes than you :) mine have no issues and fit well - also proper lenses fit them also - though I don't bother with them as I have found the ones I got pretty good.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My ear socks and nose pieces broke so I've bought genuine replacemnts that have cost as much as the actual glasses. Obviously the real earsocks fitted easily but the nose pieces needed some cutting to the frame to make them fit. On the subject of lenses, I got a pair of genuine clear lenses from a UK retailer and they fitted perfectly.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Yeah the lenses fit fine, it's just the nose pieces that seem to be a little off.

Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    shiningstar on ebay still exists. Must have bought about 20 pairs from there in the last few months for myself and mates.

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/shiningstar20 ... 4340.l2559.

if you email him, he can give you a full catalogue of colours/lenses and I'm sure if you asked for clear ones, that wouldn't be an issue
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    could you pm me the link please.
  • Mine are still going, the ear socks and nose cushions have disintergrated, they absorb sweat and just go all soggy, but they're quite comfortable without them! lenses a bit scratched, but no more than the last time I bought real Oakleys!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I love those on Ebay trying to pass them off as genuine

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/oakley-sungla ... 3a7a463a67
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    It is a year we all started to buy these... still going... back to the AliG amber..used the mirrored lnses over what we called summer
  • Gazzaputt wrote:
    I love those on Ebay trying to pass them off as genuine

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/oakley-sungla ... 3a7a463a67

I think the belt clip and zip tag are the biggest give away as we'll as the branding on the cloths but if you didnt know better or hadnt seen some genuine product you could easily be fooled.

Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • DIESELDOG wrote:
    Sing along now...

The world today seems absolutely crackers,
    With nuclear bombs to blow us all sky high.
    There's fools and idiots sitting on the trigger.
    It's depressing and it's senseless, and that's why...
    I like Chinese.
    I like Chinese.
    They only come up to your knees,
    Yet they're always friendly, and they're ready to please.

I like Chinese.
    I like Chinese.
    There's nine hundred million of them in the world today.
    You'd better learn to like them; that's what I say.

I like Chinese.
    I like Chinese.
    They come from a long way overseas,
    But they're cute and they're cuddly, and they're ready to please.

I like Chinese food.
    The waiters never are rude.
    Think of the many things they've done to impress.
    There's Maoism, Taoism, I Ching, and Chess.

So I like Chinese.
    I like Chinese.
    I like their tiny little trees,
    Their Zen, their ping-pong, their yin, and yang-ese.

I like Chinese thought,
    The wisdom that Confucious taught.
    If Darwin is anything to shout about,
    The Chinese will survive us all without any doubt.

So, I like Chinese.
    I like Chinese.
    They only come up to your knees,
    Yet they're wise and they're witty, and they're ready to please.

All together.

Wo ai zhongguo ren. (I like Chinese.)
    Ni hao ma; ni hao ma; ni hao ma; zaijien! (How are you; how are you; how are you; goodbye!)

I like Chinese.
    I like Chinese.
    Their food is guaranteed to please,
    A fourteen, a seven, a nine, and lychees.

I like Chinese.
    I like Chinese.
    I like their tiny little trees,
    Their Zen, their ping-pong, their yin, and yang-ese.

I like Chinese.
    I like Chinese.
    They only come up to your knees...

And so on...

Love n hugs

DD

http://youtu.be/YMOZRk74QrY
  • Erm.....? Not my cuppa tea but whatever floats ya boat dog

Brap ! Brap ! Brap !

Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • Im happy with my original pair glued together now, ordering more soon, glad we are all still chinese'd up.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • Rayzor look to be making them now.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rayzor-Professi ... B008NA6I6O

I've taken a punt with this - will report back..
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    Anyone know the gen behind Rayzor? It's a bit odd that the RRP is ~£50 on their website but they're all over the web @~£10... More fakes?
  • I have a couple of pairs of the Rayzors, the yellow are very good in bright sun, lasted 3 years so far with no issues. Also got myself some Chinese 'Oakley' Radar, 5 lenses:- clear, yellow, smoked, tinted and black as coal.

If you don't mind copies, including all the team kit.

http://www.bkspoot.com
  • gareth1234 wrote:
    I have a couple of pairs of the Rayzors, the yellow are very good in bright sun, lasted 3 years so far with no issues. Also got myself some Chinese 'Oakley' Radar, 5 lenses:- clear, yellow, smoked, tinted and black as coal.

If you don't mind copies, including all the team kit.

http://www.bkspoot.com

How much does shipping cost from them? I may spunk a bit of cash ordering lots of kit.

Never mind, just saw it is free. Roll on payday :)
  • Standard shipping (takes 2-3 weeks) is included in the price. About $10 if you want it within 5 days.
    My 'Oakleys' arrived this morning, took 19 days total from order on standard.