Chinese Oakleys.

Comments

• Ordered white ones too.
    My last set of £15 glasses are virtually knackered after 2 years of use, both sets of tinted lenses scratched to buggery.
    So they've lasted about as long as the last pair of Oakley lenses I owned did.
    Being in the UK, I'm not worried about UV light singeing my retinas, just keeping muck & flies out of my contact lenses!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Just pulled the trigger on these too, for less than 20 quid it was worth the punt. Any other awesome deals like this knocking about?
    MTB HardTail: GT Aggressor XC2 '09
    Road Summer(s): Kuota Kharma '10
    Road Winter(w): Carrera Virtuoso '10
    Full Suspension: Trek Fuel Ex 8 '11

http://app.strava.com/athletes/130161
  • benjboy
    benjboy Posts: 258
    Jesus you mean to tell us they are fake Oakley we are buying for £17.00. Well i am going to send a strongly worded letter to someone about this :twisted: . Now wish some one would have told me these were fake :lol: ..... Wiggle have a lot to answer for, and thats all I am saying about that.
    Keep the chain tight all the way.
  • JD_76
    JD_76 Posts: 236
    How much are the lenses from Oakley out of interest?

Roughly.

P.S. Trigger pulled on a white pair
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,919
    JD_76 wrote:

Roughly.

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/rangeViewer.asp?categoryID=1149
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • JD_76
    rozzer32 wrote:
    JD_76 wrote:

Roughly.

Nice, cheers Rozzer.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Ordered white ones too.
    My last set of £15 glasses are virtually knackered after 2 years of use, both sets of tinted lenses scratched to buggery.
    Being in the UK, I'm not worried about UV light singeing my retinas, just keeping muck & flies out of my contact lenses!

Really??? I still have the frogskins that I bought in 1992, which I clean regularly and keep in a case.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • symo wrote:
    Ordered white ones too.

Really??? I still have the frogskins that I bought in 1992, which I clean regularly and keep in a case.

So have I! I've still got my 1991 clear framed/purple iridium Frogskins!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    The lens coating has started flaking of my late 90s Straight Jacket 2.0s just 12 years, nothing is made to last these days, I blame wiggle.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Just pulled the trigger on the white ones, went into a glasses retailer/opticians and asked about buying official Oakley lenses etc for my Fakely's. He said that he would expect the fakes to be up to UV standards etc the only difference is that maybe the frames would disintergrate quicker. Wants me to take the lenses in so he can check them over for quality etc...will report back when I get them tested.
    "Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take it's place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever."
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    any idea what colour the O is on the arm of the white ones? The picture doesnt show it.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Surely these should be called Choakleys?
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Not really seeing the great value here. You either have to put up with fake lenses which will be a bit shit or buy real ones to fit in the frame. Probably looking at about £80 for a couple of types/colours of lens then the £15 for the frame...you can get proper Jawbones with warranty etc for not much more than that!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    symo wrote:
    Ordered white ones too.

So have I! I've still got my 1991 clear framed/purple iridium Frogskins!
    I've still got a pair of those.............. mmmmmm, lovely !!! Proper Oakleys 8)
    I remember someone commenting to their friend; "Now that's a pair of sunglasses" as they walked past me.
    In fact, I've still got all of my Oakleys and they're all in pretty good nick !

Having had a look at these Fakes on ebay, I decided against it, but I'd be interested to hear people's views.

IMO, if you want cheap glasses, go for the Bolle Contour ESP safety glasses. They look good, the lenses are up to all of the necessary standards for UV and impact protection, the lenses are available in different tints, they have a warranty and they cost about £7. If you want something that looks like Oakleys, buy Oakleys.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    65424-03-115.jpg
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • RTEmagicC_DSC01221.jpg.jpg

Mine are less blue, more purple. Like these. I'll take a pic.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    action dan wrote:
    Just pulled the trigger on the white ones, went into a glasses retailer/opticians and asked about buying official Oakley lenses etc for my Fakely's. He said that he would expect the fakes to be up to UV standards etc the only difference is that maybe the frames would disintergrate quicker. Wants me to take the lenses in so he can check them over for quality etc...will report back when I get them tested.

Well?...... :)
  • STEFANOS4784
    Not really seeing the great value here. You either have to put up with fake lenses which will be a bit shoot or buy real ones to fit in the frame. Probably looking at about £80 for a couple of types/colours of lens then the £15 for the frame...you can get proper Jawbones with warranty etc for not much more than that!

Please link to genuine Jawbones with 2 sets of lenses for £75?

No need to be bitter that you paid out for the genuine article :wink:
  • apple15
    apple15 Posts: 61
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Good god just watching Enter The Dragon with my new ChinOakleys on @ £16.99 and its like a 3D effect 8)

omg I'm crying here so funny 8)
    .......__o
    .......\<,
    ....( )/ ( )...
  • STEFANOS4784
    haha, to be fair this is why i was awaitin the report. I don't need glasses and when i put cheap fakes on last time i looked down and felt like i was ridin a penny farthing. About 20 feet off the ground...not ideal
  • Much as I'd love to save the cash, this is a clear case of "pay peanuts, get monkeys" for me.

Even putting aside my general opinion of all things fake, I wouldn't want to risk anything as important as clarity of vision while out riding.
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    "Bolle Contour ESP safety glasses"

2nd. The safety industry pretty much produces "just enough not to get sued" copies of every sought after designer wrap-around. I'm the devil for loosing specs so appreciate being able to go into work & lift a new pair from the PPE cupboard - my team get to do their own buying :wink:
  • pedrojake
    pedrojake Posts: 229
    Anyone else received their hokey cokey oakleys?

Any feedback...?
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Interesting thread, also in the light of the Chinarello threads.
    Got to say I don't really get it. For me the thing about Oakleys (were I ever to buy a pair, which is very unlikely!) is that they are Oakleys, not fakes. Without that, why would you bother? If all you want is some cheap specs, there are plenty of safety ones around for even less, surely?
  • JD_76
    The point of these surely is to put genuine oakley lenses in the fake frames and save lots of money in the process.

The lens is the only important bit, the frame just holds them in place.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Not really seeing the great value here. You either have to put up with fake lenses which will be a bit shoot or buy real ones to fit in the frame. Probably looking at about £80 for a couple of types/colours of lens then the £15 for the frame...you can get proper Jawbones with warranty etc for not much more than that!

Please link to genuine Jawbones with 2 sets of lenses for £75?

No need to be bitter that you paid out for the genuine article :wink:

Where did £75 come from?

I cant find the lenses i have for less than £40 (persimmon) and £50 (blue iridium). So works out dearer than the £80 i thought it would be. Would be interested in somewhere stocking genuine lenses for cheaper if you have a link!
  • JD_76
    In an earlier post

£31 + £17 = £48 for a pair of fake frames with genuine lenses.

Done.
  • STEFANOS4784
    About 10 quid cheaper each here ;
    http://www.theinternetopticians.co.uk/o ... j41at5oke0

granted the Persimmon are currently out of stock but anyway. Please link to genuine Jawbones with the 2 types of lenses you specify for 'not much more than £105' :wink:
  • JD_76 wrote:
    The point of these surely is to put genuine oakley lenses in the fake frames and save lots of money in the process.

The lens is the only important bit, the frame just holds them in place.

A poorly made frame could flex the lense or let it rattle about both affecting vision. Also if/when you faceplant the cheap frame couldbreak into sharp shards and cut you.
    Focus Cayo Pro
    Cotic Soul custom
    Merida Cross 4
    Planet X Dirty Disco custom cyclocross
    Tern D8 clown bike