Strava.com - Put your money where your mouth is

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    JZed wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Sooooo, ummmmmm, does a segment still count if its outside of rush hour?

Just asking.

For a friend.

Who is fed up of seeing JZed's avatar at the top of all his segments.

I only have a couple of segments. I set up a segment yesterday for the Millbank dash. When I set it up its perfect, correct start and finish, but once loaded it seems to jump up the road and include the roundabout. Need to fix it but not sure how, suppose I'll have to set it an equivalent distance back and hope it advances it once complete.

Has NSB nobbled the software so he can get ahead of you? I would sign up but I go in completely the wrong direction.

And I'm really slow.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    See my comment above. I've had the same issue with the segments I've created, e.g. the Westminster/Blackfriars one. I've set it up correctly but when its saved it shows differently, so I've played around the the start/finish points to get it appearing correctly on the saved one. The problem is that I don't know if the start/finish is the one I've set using the wizard, or the one that's shown when you save it.

@NSB, will meet you at 6:30 on Saturday AM, a bit of drafting will help knock J "Andre Greipel" Zed off top spot I'm sure :twisted:
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    See my comment above. I've had the same issue with the segments I've created, e.g. the Westminster/Blackfriars one. I've set it up correctly but when its saved it shows differently, so I've played around the the start/finish points to get it appearing correctly on the saved one. The problem is that I don't know if the start/finish is the one I've set using the wizard, or the one that's shown when you save it.

@NSB, will meet you at 6:30 on Saturday AM, a bit of drafting will help knock J "Andre Greipel" Zed off top spot I'm sure :twisted:

How about's you just take your car out and stick the Garmin on the dashboard. You'll have a chance then.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,316
    I'm confused. Here is my ride in this morning http://app.strava.com/rides/1629246

But I'm not in any of the segments. Should I have to do anything to get added to the segments? Or is it a symptom of my phone's crappy GPS (check out my offroad 'as the crow flies' route through RP).
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Wrath Rob
    JZed wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:

How about's you just take your car out and stick the Garmin on the dashboard. You'll have a chance then.
    We'll see Andre, we'll see.
  • pangolin
    pangolin wrote:
    I'm confused. Here is my ride in this morning http://app.strava.com/rides/1629246

But I'm not in any of the segments. Should I have to do anything to get added to the segments? Or is it a symptom of my phone's crappy GPS (check out my offroad 'as the crow flies' route through RP).

Also it says my elevation doesn't change the whole way in. Eh?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Wrath Rob
    pangolin wrote:

That doesnt' look right to me. Normally it picks up any segments that have been created. It may take some time to process but its only an hour or 2
  • jzed
    Wrath - someone else has a proper Millbank sprint segment. The leader is a Wheeler who averaged 36mph across the segment. Around 11 seconds faster than my fastest. Thats some ask given I'm not sure I can hit 36mph never mind hold it.
  • kevess
    kevess Posts: 186
    pangolin wrote:

Doesn't look as if your full ride has been uploaded, I can't even see your profile, elevation etc. Check your 'phone to see if you can give it a kick start.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697
    Something funny is going on across Richmond Park too. Do you ride in a dead straight line from Kingston Gate to Roehampton Gate?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pangolin
    Yes.

So any ideas what I can do to make the GPS work better, or make Strava add elevation / power / add me to segments? Other than get a new phone... (Galaxy S at the moment).
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • KevEss wrote:
    pangolin wrote:

Doesn't look as if your full ride has been uploaded, I can't even see your profile, elevation etc. Check your 'phone to see if you can give it a kick start.

I am having the same kind of problem using my phone for this app and a couple of others, it seems to cut out or sometimes place me in the middle of the ocean.

Do the guys using garmins ever have any problems or are all GPS devices a bit wobbly at times?
    Banstead in Surrey to Russell square and back
    FCN 4
  • Wrath Rob
    I think I'll be posting the SCR club's Embankment segments for this week either tomorrow or Saturday.

Eastbound
    Chelsea to Parliment - Current leader JZed
    Millbank - Current leader JZed
    Westminster to Blackfriars - Current leader Alan Dunlop

Westbound
    Blackfriars to Westminster - Current leader NotSoBlue
    Victoria Bridge to Albert Bridge - New segment

I think this is going to get comptetitive!
  • kevess
    pangolin wrote:
    Yes.

So any ideas what I can do to make the GPS work better, or make Strava add elevation / power / add me to segments? Other than get a new phone... (Galaxy S at the moment).

I'm using the Galaxy S II and it works pretty well, can take a bit of time for GPS to click in when it's cloudy. Have you tried the old delete and reload trick?

On the power issue Strava have informed me that I need a device with a barometric altimeter as they only have a detailed elevation database in the US. :( I take it that means if you've got a Garmin or one of the GPS specific/high tech bike computer you're probably OK!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    I downloaded the app and was surprised at how quick I was. I peaked at 32.5mph with an average of 16.8mph. Pleasantly surprised. I haven't signed up to the SCR group as I don't ride into town.
    I could take the motorbike in at the weekend and smash all the records though. I'd need 150bhp to keep up with some of you.
  • kevess
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    I think I'll be posting the SCR club's Embankment segments for this week either tomorrow or Saturday.

Eastbound

Westbound

Got a meeting in Bushey at 9am tomorrow (not cycling all the way!) so early into the office. Now I know where the segments are I can give them a decent batter. I wouldn't worry too much the KoM titles, the only segment where I've managed higher on the leaderboard than JZed is the Sawyers Hill South (run-up to parking lot), all 0.1 mile of it! :wink:
  • jzed
    KevEss wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Eastbound

Westbound

Got a meeting in Bushey at 9am tomorrow (not cycling all the way!) so early into the office. Now I know where the segments are I can give them a decent batter. I wouldn't worry too much the KoM titles, the only segment where I've managed higher on the leaderboard than JZed is the Sawyers Hill South (run-up to parking lot), all 0.1 mile of it! :wink:

Anything more than 0% gradient and I'm struggling
  • jzed
    Okay this is getting stupid - for my ride home there are now around 43 different segments. That has gone up from maybe 10 a week or so ago. Many of the segments are meaningless - like the 0.1m up Sawyers - whats the point. Many of the segments are duplicates.
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    App downloaded. SCR Group joined. 8)

So am I correct in think that if I track on my iPhone my normal commute home
    (Blackfriars-PS-Millbank-Victoria-HydePark-Edgeware rd-West Hampstead)

i'll be automatically be added to segments once I upload my route from my phone to the computer?

Also how do you creat a segment? Assume you have to select a segment from your tracked ride?
  • jzed
    willy b wrote:
    App downloaded. SCR Group joined. 8)

So am I correct in think that if I track on my iPhone my normal commute home
    (Blackfriars-PS-Millbank-Victoria-HydePark-Edgeware rd-West Hampstead)

i'll be automatically be added to segments once I upload my route from my phone to the computer?

Also how do you creat a segment? Assume you have to select a segment from your tracked ride?

Yes - it will automatically put you into any segments. For any ride you do you can click create a segment. It will tell you if there is one similar to the one you are suggesting. You can go ahead and create the segment or just use the existing one.
  • willy b
    JZed wrote:

Yes - it will automatically put you into any segments. For any ride you do you can click create a segment. It will tell you if there is one similar to the one you are suggesting. You can go ahead and create the segment or just use the existing one.

:D I look to forward to segment adding!
  • Can you give people 'sarcastic kudos' if they have an average speed below 25km/h over 10km?
  • Microsoft marketplace - heap. of. crap... Guess i won't be playing
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • Wrath Rob
    Just (finally) found a segment where I've comprehensively whipped JZed this week. http://app.strava.com/segments/629608
  • Wrath Rob
    And another one, though this time its on the commute:

http://app.strava.com/segments/758155

I think there could be some sort of war happening on the way home tomorrow :twisted:
  • jzed
    Didn't realise it was a weekly competition in which case :

Col du Chutney
    RP Lap
    RP Sawyers
    Putney Bridge
    Chelsea Embankment EW
    Millbank Sprint

I could keep looking. :D

Oh and riding VB to BB at 8 o'clock at night with a tailwind? No wonder you've whipped us - it was solid traffic at 5.40. And doing Broomfield 3 seconds quicker than me when CJCP was towing you :?. But if it makes you feel better 8)

I think I sunk my pints faster than you last night swell :lol:
  • Wrath Rob
    JZed wrote:
    Didn't realise it was a weekly competition in which case :

Col du Chutney
    RP Lap
    RP Sawyers
    Putney Bridge
    Chelsea Embankment EW
    Millbank Sprint

I could keep looking. :D

Oh and riding VB to BB at 8 o'clock at night with a tailwind? No wonder you've whipped us - it was solid traffic at 5.40. And doing Broomfield 3 seconds quicker than me when CJCP was towing you :?. But if it makes you feel better 8)

I think I sunk my pints faster than you last night swell :lol:
    LOL. Ask CJCP who was towing who up Broomfield :twisted: but I'll give you the beer challenge. I think its all in the genes :wink:

I think we need agreed segments for the London Peleton Weekly Strava challenge.
  • willy b
    My Phone is giving different results in each segment compared to website. As in my average this morning for Westminster to Blackfrairs Ramp on the pone was 19.85mph, yet on the website is 18.1mph...

Any reason why this is?
  • jzed
    willy b wrote:
    My Phone is giving different results in each segment compared to website. As in my average this morning for Westminster to Blackfrairs Ramp on the pone was 19.85mph, yet on the website is 18.1mph...

Any reason why this is?

Probably something to do with the GPS on the phone calculating inaccurate speeds and strave replacing it with the location flags and actual time.

Caveat: I could be talking b0ll0cks.
  • F**in hell, all I can compete is myself... Move to Torbay, people! ;)