Boardman CX Owners Thread

Comments

• newtonuk
    newtonuk Posts: 134
    Ha, I have these thoughts every time I get on my bike. I'd love to spend a week on the next size down, I got Large but think I should have got Medium and put a longer stem on it.
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6 (2014)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • zisssou
    zisssou Posts: 2
    Ha, I have these thoughts every time I get on my bike. I'd love to spend a week on the next size down, I got Large but think I should have got Medium and put a longer stem on it.
    I might try for a shorter stem, or perhaps one that you can adjust. I think its all just in my head though, as it all feels alright and I've had no pains. Just seems like I'm stretching a bit on the hood, which I guess I'll get used to!
  • evo456
    evo456 Posts: 11
    All for those interested in a replacement Freehub body for their Boardman CX Comp and Team, the compatible part number from Halfords is 125495 - FHB Urban Pro LTD 09. I have fitted this to my CX Comp 2013 and confirm it is the correct part.

Boardman CX Comp Team Freehub Free hub body.
  • Went for the second ride out on mine today and had a clicking from the bottom bracket, which got progressively worse and the miles went by. The outer cover from the non-drive side bottom bracket fell off part way through the ride. Ride cut short and the bottom bracket sounding like a rattle. Dropped it off at Halfords this afternoon and they seemed ok with it. Will see how they get on. Bit gutted after only 30 miles of use.
  • Quick turnaround on the bottom bracket fix, two days. New bearings fitted and all is again. Also mentioned when I dropped the bike off that the brake rotors were slightly warped, meaning I was struggling to get them set-up well enough to prevent rub at certain points of the rotors rotation and have the levers not pull back and touch the bars. They failed to resolve this, but after an email to customer services and then a call from the store manager they're ordering me a new pair of rotors.
  • EasyPeez
    EasyPeez Posts: 25
    Hi,

I'm seriously tempted to bag one of the CX Team bikes as a winter hacker - seems a bargain at just over £500. I know there has been a lot of issues with dodgy BBs though - is this a thing of the past or is it still affecting 2015 models?

Also, will the bike take decent (i.e not flappy, tyre rubbing) mudguards if using 35mm or 28mm tyres?

Cheers.
  • Mine was a 2015 new bike and the bb failed after 30 miles. A little hassle having to return it to the store to get new bearings fitted (under warranty), but no real problem. Staff have always been pleasant enough when sorting bits out for me.
  • I'm biased as I have 2 bikes with BB30 and work in a Halfords but the BB30/PF30 issues in Boardmans seem to be related to the initial factory installation of the chainset rather than a failure of the bearing.
    Since they've become common I have seen 15-20 with the dreaded clicking, of those all but 2 were solved by removing the chainset, greasing the bearings and refitting the chainset (the other 2 had managed to get really gritty through use)
  • I'm biased as I have 2 bikes with BB30 and work in a Halfords but the BB30/PF30 issues in Boardmans seem to be related to the initial factory installation of the chainset rather than a failure of the bearing.
    Since they've become common I have seen 15-20 with the dreaded clicking, of those all but 2 were solved by removing the chainset, greasing the bearings and refitting the chainset (the other 2 had managed to get really gritty through use)

Why are people still greasing a sealed bearing? The reason the noise dissapears is the grit and dirt between the bearing and the frame has been cleaned out. BB30 bearings aren't supposed to be installed with grease, you need to use loctite 609 which is a non permanent retaining fluid.
  • Why are people still greasing a sealed bearing? The reason the noise dissapears is the grit and dirt between the bearing and the frame has been cleaned out. BB30 bearings aren't supposed to be installed with grease, you need to use loctite 609 which is a non permanent retaining fluid.

I removed the dust seal on my bearings and cleaned and re-greased the actual bearings, not where the bearing seats in the frame. Also, it's a PF30 bearing on the CX Team, which means that the bearing is seated in a plastic sleeve so the traditional BB30 issue of bearings creaking against the frame should and needing to be seated using Loctite shouldn't be a problem.
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • [quote="daniel_c_baron]
    Why are people still greasing a sealed bearing? The reason the noise dissapears is the grit and dirt between the bearing and the frame has been cleaned out. BB30 bearings aren't supposed to be installed with grease, you need to use loctite 609 which is a non permanent retaining fluid.[/quote]

As above, not removing the bearings from the frame, just a bit of a clean and grease of the surfaces that are touching - bearing faces, covers, spacers etc.
  • Well, I picked up the bike on Saturday so fingers crossed that the bottom bracket has been fitted properly on mine. We shall see.

If any other owners can recommend good mudguards that fit without too much difficulty and stay put once on without waggling about/rubbing on the tyres I'd be very grateful.

Am thinking about whacking some of these on for the winter commute (not at Wiggle prices mind; they can be had for £55 a pair elsewhere) then Duranos or Conti 4 Seasons come Spring. What tyres do others use?
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marathon-deluxe-evo-double-defense-road-tyre/

Cheers, Steve
  • SKS Chromoplastics fit.
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)

These ones? Halfords suggested there were a few models on their system under that name so I don't want to order the wrong ones in.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/mudguards/sks-chromoplastic-mudguard-set-700-x-35mm

If it is these do they require much bodging to get them on? And how easy/quick to take off again? Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for your help :-)

These ones? Halfords suggested there were a few models on their system under that name so I don't want to order the wrong ones in.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/mudguards/sks-chromoplastic-mudguard-set-700-x-35mm

If it is these do they require much bodging to get them on? And how easy/quick to take off again? Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for your help :-)

I've got the P35 (I think) but I only use them with 28mm road tyres. If you've got the newer forks with the proper mounts then there's no bodging to get them on at all, at least I didn't have to. You might get a much neater fit if you bend the stays, but I didn't and this will be my 3rd winter with them.
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • I've got these

http://www.topeak.com/products/Fenders/defender_rc1rc11

with 32mm Marathons, but never really used them in more extreme conditions
  • did you manage to fit the front RC1 unit to the boardman too, if so, how?

on mine the little quick fixing for the top/centre of the guard that either fits in the bolt for the brake caliper or the hole in the fork itself just will not fit ( ie, no bolt to fix into & the hole in the fork is to small for the other fitting )

but that's beside the point as the front one does not fit over the standard rapid robs anyway, or I could not see a way to make it fit anywhoo lol ( which is to be expected really as the bumf does say they max out @ 27 & the robs are 35's )

the RC11 rear fit lovely although did require a slight tweak to my rear lighting to make it all fit.

the RC1/RC11 combo did fit very nice front & rear onto my triban road bike though.

bought both my sets from amazon @ £6.29 per set ( tried posting a link to them yesterday but my post is not showing up at all & may have been filtered out as spam :( )

back to the boardman though :D

put a few miles on it lately & only real gripes are brakes are noisy as hell at slower speeds ( chirping & howling ) get em running silent at home & then after a couple of uses back returns the noise - they function lovely even with the noise mind - probably going TRP HyRd in the new year - would be there already but spent far too much on bikes this year - for now I am hoping they get better as they bed in more as not past the 200 miles mark yet, nearly but not yet.

the standard expander bung in the fork being troublesome is the final gripe & then me being a numpty & overtightening the top cap onto it requiring molegrips to separate the 2 parts ( after dismantling the standard bung ) - since replaced it with a deda bung but that was trouble on its 1st outing but has been fine since getting redone a smidge tighter - must get the torque wrench checked out as it may not be working right.

overall very happy with the boardman so far, lets hope that continues :D
  • The RC1/RC11 website says:

"Fits Road Tires Up To 700 x 25C"

That's maybe why they won't fit over the Rapid Robs!
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • The RC1/RC11 website says:

"Fits Road Tires Up To 700 x 25C"

That's maybe why they won't fit over the Rapid Robs!

I know, main reason I bought the set for the boardman was for the rear one as its a smidge wider than the front & different fitting system to the front that's not effected by the tyre width & it fits fine ( may not stop the splashes like it is designed for with thinner tyres but what the hell, it'll get the worst of it ) ( sure the packaging they arrived on said upto 27c though )

& the 2nd reason was that @ £6.29 for the set it was cheaper to buy the set & not use the RC1 than it was to buy a RC11 on its own :mrgreen: - that's what I was going to be doing until I spotted the set going cheap on amazon, it was going to be either an RC11 or a similar looking thing with iGlow light built into it but they were over double the price just for the rear unit.

the 2nd set I bought due to them being so dammed cheap fits the road bike with 23's nicely front & rear as the road bike front fork has a suitable fitting for the top mounting of the front guard.

I'm just curious if the above poster managed to fit the front guard to his bike with thinner tyres on it & if so how, as like I said, the 2014/2015 cx team I have wont accept the fitting lugs that are supplied with the RC1 unit ( the 2 side fittings will work if I drop down a few sizes on the tyres BUT the 3rd top/centre fitting wont )
  • Sorry, been away, I have the 2011/12 model which seems to have a larger hole in the forks so the smaller mudguard fitting worked with some persuasion.

I have to admit that I then carefully tapped a thread into the hole and used a normal bolt
  • agggh, that helps explain that then, different forks & also they did not fit perfectly either, makes me feel better in not figuring out how to get em working :D

if I do go smaller tyres in the future ( happily plodding along on the robs for now as they work fine for me & the riding I do ) then just ignore the supplied fittings for that bit & fashion my own to make it fit the existing hole etc.
  • Just putting this out there..

I'm thinking of getting a new bike. Currently have a CX (it was my idea to start this thread originally for those that have joined the thread recently!).

My CX is a medium, it's still in stunning condition. It's running BB7's instead of BB5's.

Not sure if I'm going to sell as a complete bike or take the groupset off for my next build and sell the frame / BB7's / wheels seperately.

It's a medium frame.

Not really asking any questions, just mentioning it in case it gives someone an idea that would suit us both!
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Just putting this out there..

I'm thinking of getting a new bike. Currently have a CX (it was my idea to start this thread originally for those that have joined the thread recently!).

My CX is a medium, it's still in stunning condition. It's running BB7's instead of BB5's.

Not sure if I'm going to sell as a complete bike or take the groupset off for my next build and sell the frame / BB7's / wheels seperately.

It's a medium frame.

Not really asking any questions, just mentioning it in case it gives someone an idea that would suit us both!

ah - if I only I were a little shorter or you were a little taller. I am looking to this route for my next build - but I really would want/need bigger than medium. BTW if you do go the new frame route boardmans top cx disc frame is at a good discount on their own outlet store and through their (non-halford) expert dealers. I am in no hurry so I thought I would wait for spring and pick up a bargain when some of the real enthusiasts trade up after the cx season.

Although I do worry that lots of these frames will now be single chain models. There seems to be a reaction against the cx bike as super-commuter - companies are now creating a lower range of cx bikes that can do double service but their top models unable to be easily transferred to rough road service. As it tends to be only the top models that are sold as framesets my choices are limited. But the boardmans from 2014 look cracking value
  • Just putting this out there..

It's a medium frame.

ah - if I only I were a little shorter or you were a little taller. I am looking to this route for my next build - but I really would want/need bigger than medium. BTW if you do go the new frame route boardmans top cx disc frame is at a good discount on their own outlet store and through their (non-halford) expert dealers. I am in no hurry so I thought I would wait for spring and pick up a bargain when some of the real enthusiasts trade up after the cx season.

Although I do worry that lots of these frames will now be single chain models. There seems to be a reaction against the cx bike as super-commuter - companies are now creating a lower range of cx bikes that can do double service but their top models unable to be easily transferred to rough road service. As it tends to be only the top models that are sold as framesets my choices are limited. But the boardmans from 2014 look cracking value

Make double sure what size you want before you buy. A high percentage of people that bought large wish they had bought medium!
  • newtonuk
    Yes, I think I'd like to spend a week or so on a Medium frame just so I can compare the two. It felt too cramped in the store, but a longer stem may have been the answer.
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Yes, I think I'd like to spend a week or so on a Medium frame just so I can compare the two. It felt too cramped in the store, but a longer stem may have been the answer.

They come with 120mm stems and posts that have laybacks that stretch to the car behind. Try a shorter stem or a normal layback post!
  • newtonuk

They come with 120mm stems and posts that have laybacks that stretch to the car behind. Try a shorter stem or a normal layback post!

??? If they come with a long stem and a layback post but still feel too cramped what would a shorter stem or in-line post do? Make it more compact?

I've been riding a large frame since this model came out, but sometimes think I could have tweaked a medium one.
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612

??? If they come with a long stem and a layback post but still feel too cramped what would a shorter stem or in-line post do? Make it more compact?

I've been riding a large frame since this model came out, but sometimes think I could have tweaked a medium one.

Shorter stem and better layback on the large...

Realistically speaking 130mm is the max you can get stem wise, you can get 140mm but that's just silly and hard to come by.
  • Hi all
    I have a 2011-12 Team cx boardman and after some inspiration from this thread i am converting the bike from apex to 105 groupset and changing the horrible bb5 brakes to TRP Spyre brakes.
    this is my first time ordering or changing a groupset/brakes so please excuse my noobiness. im learning on the fly :lol:
    i have already ordered some parts however i thought i would get some advice before throwing more money at it.

Trp Spyres
    i have ordered the calipers. will i need to order the 'official ' trp rotors to go with it? or can they fit to the existing richly disc ocr oem wheel rotors? also would i need to buy any adapters to make the caliper fit to the frame?. also could anyone advise me some good brake wire worth ordering.

105 groupset.
    I have ordered a new Shimano 105 5700 10 Speed Cassette Silver 11-28, a new Shimano 105 RD-5700 Rear Derailleur Black Medium Cage and a second hand set of shimano 105 5700 shifters.
    can anyone please advise me to what the best chain to order thats long enough and compatible with the above parts?

i have had no issues with the front 105 derailleur so far . is it worth ordering a new 105 5700 version just so i have the full set? or just keeping it as it is?

crankset
    I have had no issues with the bb30 that so many others have had however i was wondering if its worth replacing the original fsa crankset and bb30 to something lighter can anyone recommend a more updated crankset and bb30 worth ordering that suffers from less problems and that is compatible with the other 105 parts i have ordered?

many thanks
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    My Advice would be to install what you have already planned and get that working before changing the chainset. In my experience, if you change the whole drive train and then find some funny clicking or grinding noise, you end up frustratedly chasing it around, not quite sure where the noise is coming from. When I did mine, I wished that I had done it one part at a time!!!