Boardman CX Owners Thread

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689
    If anybody is thinking of buying one today is the day, only £700 for the CX Team.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    If anybody is thinking of buying one today is the day, only £700 for the CX Team.
    There's another 10% off today on top of that
    So 630
    Or 567 with British Cycling discount

... 510 with the vouchers hack
    :shock:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    Update for those of you running the Kinesis CX Disc wheelset. Mine are now 18 months old (Version 2), about 3000miles including one winter, one bearing in the rear failed within 100 miles and was replaced, rear has been fine since. After 3 nipples heads shearing off in the last 3 months on the front, I have changed all the alloy nipples for brass ones. Whilst I was doing it I noticed that one of the bearings was completely seized solid, it had been running on the axle quite happily without me knowing, how long for I don't know. Luckily the axle looks fine, so more bearings on order
  • Strogauk
    Strogauk Posts: 12
    Hi All,

Think I'm finally going to take the plunge and upgrade the Groupset on my Boardman 2014 CX Comp to Shimano 105 5700 10 speed.

Anyone happen to know what size band i need on the front mech?

Cheers

PA
  • newtonuk
    newtonuk Posts: 134

34.9mm I believe.
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6 (2014)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • Strogauk
    Strogauk Posts: 12

34.9mm I believe.

Cheers mate, I thought it was
  • bigmul
    bigmul Posts: 208
    So I have a new 2011 CX Team frame from an eBay purchase, completely new replacement frame. Needs everything but want to know people's opinions on building it up with 105 and moving my kinesis wheels over. Will need forks too, but seems a project is on the cards...?
  • newtonuk
    I don't know if it's the hub or the freewheel that's at fault, but they've all had a good coating of fresh grease now. Might be new bearings when I can be bothered to do it again.

Replaced the bearings and, to be honest, there's not much difference! A chap on another forum suggested that the Formula hubs are a straight swap out for Shimano XT ones, so I may take a crash course in wheel building and see where I get to.

Well that turned out well, had it booked in to Evans in Leeds for a hub swap and the mechanic there suggested that there was nothing wrong with the hub but the free hub body was a bit worse for wear. It just so happened that they'd had a compatible free hub body delivered for a different job and he fit that one for me and only charged me for hub service.
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I don't know if it's the hub or the freewheel that's at fault, but they've all had a good coating of fresh grease now. Might be new bearings when I can be bothered to do it again.

Replaced the bearings and, to be honest, there's not much difference! A chap on another forum suggested that the Formula hubs are a straight swap out for Shimano XT ones, so I may take a crash course in wheel building and see where I get to.

Well that turned out well, had it booked in to Evans in Leeds for a hub swap and the mechanic there suggested that there was nothing wrong with the hub but the free hub body was a bit worse for wear. It just so happened that they'd had a compatible free hub body delivered for a different job and he fit that one for me and only charged me for hub service.

Do you have a part number/reference for that freehub? Lots on here interested in that info... thanks
  • newtonuk
    The part number that Halfords Customer Service quoted me is 630172.
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535

I know - I am just wondering what a compatible part from somewhere else might be - not everyone seems to have managed to get Halfords to help...!
  • newtonuk

I know - I am just wondering what a compatible part from somewhere else might be - not everyone seems to have managed to get Halfords to help...!

I'll have a chat with the chap at Evans when I pick it up tomorrow :-)
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • newtonuk
    No luck with a part number from Evans I'm afraid, it sounds like it was a series of phone calls and emails looking for a spare part for another bike that resulted in this particular free hub body being delivered with no packaging or identifying marks.

I guess I got lucky that it didn't fit the intended recipient but did fit mine.
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • pcditton
    pcditton Posts: 5
    I am 6 foot and looking at buying this bike as it is on at a great price at Halfords at the minute.I am 6 foot and 16 stone. Anyone advise as to what size frame to buy 55.5 or 57 inch?
    Has the problem with the cracked frames been sorted now or will weight crack it even more.
  • newtonuk
    I am 6 foot and looking at buying this bike as it is on at a great price at Halfords at the minute.I am 6 foot and 16 stone. Anyone advise as to what size frame to buy 55.5 or 57 inch?
    Has the problem with the cracked frames been sorted now or will weight crack it even more.

I'm 5'11" and 16 1/2 stone and got a Large frame which has a 57 CM Top Tube. Halfords choice of frame sizes don't marry up with the geometry from Boardman's web site, so it's difficult to recommend. I'm guessing that the Large is a 55.5cm frame size and the XL is 57.5.

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/cx/cx_team.html

Anyway, some days I think the Large is too big for me and wish I'd got a Medium, but then other days I'm happy with it, so you being a little taller than me I reckon the Large would be perfect for you.
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • pcditton
    The boardman website is saying that the 58cm which has the 57 top tube is the large.So I am taking that is the Halfords 57.5 inch is the bike you have which is Halfords largest.

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/cx/cx_team.html
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612

Weight was never the issue with cracked paint frames. It was just paint and was like that in the first batch of bikes. New ones do not have cracks.

If you're 6ft I would consider the 53cm or 55.5cm. Swaying more to the 55.5 and changing the seat post with less layback and a shorter stem. I personally (6ft2) find the Lg too long OEM but the Md a tad short in OEM form. That being said, going into a local shop and sit on one, find a good colleague and ask to run it on a turbo trainer. If he's good he may look into adjusting stem height, etc but that rare for us unfortunately.
  • compuwiz_uk
    compuwiz_uk Posts: 139

Weight was never the issue with cracked paint frames. It was just paint and was like that in the first batch of bikes. New ones do not have cracks.

don't rest with regards looking for cracks.

unless I am unlucky & got a really old frame then here is what I have just found on my 5mile young CX team fresh Halfords build & collected this morning. ( its got the mudguard capable front end so would expect it to be fairly new frame ) did not spot it when I picked up the bike but then again I had only seen reference to the seatpost area being problematic so only really looked there - this is the steerer tube section that has the problem

( pic may not be too clear but site wont let me upload a file any larger )

it was going back to them tomorrow anyway as even though its only been out for 5 miles so far I have a lengthy & getting longer list of problems they need to correct before I spotted the frame problem.

basically not having a good 1st day with the new bike which is a shame as it does feel ( even with the gripes ) to be a lovely bike once you get used to the firmer ride & the not so wide drop handlebars ( coming from a mtb with a wide handlebar & wide / soggy tires & suspension - I fully expected a harder ride with loosing the soggy tires & loosing the suspension lol )
  • pcditton
    Well I went out on my bike sunday and rode about 10 miles.Today I cycled to work and rode home again.On the way home I am cycling along a main road on a cycle path when the whole pedal arm on the left hand side falls off leaving my unstable and falling onto a grass verge which was handy.Bloody fuming I ring Halfords customer services who say there is no recall ont he bottom bracket.Take it to your local store.I phone them and they just say bring it in.
    Not forgetting I have fallen off the bike which could have lead to a serious injury, Lucky I was not cycling on the road at the time Any advice on what I should do.I said to Halfords you can come and pick it up, they said there is no way they can do that, meaning I have to wait for a family member to get it there for me.
  • On the way home I am cycling along a main road on a cycle path when the whole pedal arm on the left hand side falls off leaving my unstable and falling onto a grass verge which was handy.Bloody fuming I ring Halfords customer services who say there is no recall ont he bottom bracket.Take it to your local store.I phone them and they just say bring it in.
    Not forgetting I have fallen off the bike which could have lead to a serious injury, Lucky I was not cycling on the road at the time Any advice on what I should do.I said to Halfords you can come and pick it up, they said there is no way they can do that, meaning I have to wait for a family member to get it there for me.

It's not the bottom bracket that's the problem, it's the crank arm not being tightened to the correct torque by whoever put it together.
    When you talk to them try to be calm about it and you'll get better results.
    If you got it before the 15% Boardman promo started see if you can get that added after the fact - return and resell the bike effectively to get the discount, if not maybe see if you can get some accessories as compensation.
    Regarding collecting it Halfords only has lorries - the only way it would get collected is if a member of staff does it, and risks invalidating their car insurance in the process
  • EarlofBarnet
    EarlofBarnet Posts: 673
    I picked up a CX Team a couple of weeks ago using the extra discount available on the Halfords site and BC discount. Combined with Quidco cashback I think the net amount was just under £500, pretty pleased with that. I intend to use the bike more over winter and in wet weather, with the discs providing more reliable braking than calipers. Had my first 30 mile road ride on it last week and was really impressed. Even with the cx tyres fitted there didn't seem much resistance on the road. The bike even felt a little more comfortable than my carbon road bike. Over the last week I've removed the helper (?) brake levers from the bars and the cable adjusters and fitted a set of 28c Conti Ultrasport folding tyres. Looking forward to giving it another run out one evening now. The brakes have been a little difficult to get set-up perfectly though, especially with one of the rotors running slightly out of true. They do stop well though.
  • compuwiz_uk
    compuwiz_uk Posts: 139
    well, I got my bike back from the local Halfords,

the crack in the frame was apparently sticky residue from the protective materials the bike came supplied in that had dirtied up after I had collected the bike ( looking closer at the pic I took it seems like a OK answer - i had not gone near the area after seeing it so as not to cause any further damage if it was a crack etc )

as for the rest of the issues then they sorted out the serious front & rear brake rub they supplied the bike with ( I know its going to be a loosing battle with that but its not what you want when buying new ) already looking @ the TRP HY\RD units to replace em but cant justify another £200 just yet considering the BB5s are new & working lol

they inverted the stem for me & also re-routed one of the gear cables that had been incorrectly routed when built as well as setting the limits of the front mech correctly to stop it pushing the chain off the top ring when changing up

the clicking noise from the bottom bracket though they did not fix so the bike was returned once again after a mere handful of meters done & they removed it & liberally greased it up & so far so good but not done much mileage on it since due to it raining ever since.

sadly during the stem inversion/cable re-routing operation they managed to rebuild the bike leaving the front fork/headset slightly loose & that required tightening, I then went over every other nut & bolt I could find on the bike too just incase & found a couple more that were a tad slack so always worth a double check.

they also advised me to invest in a decent roll of Helicoter tape for the cable rub problem on the front fork as nowt they can do with regards that & they all do it etc.

the only other issues i have had with the bike is finding locations for all the lights i use when cycling in darker hours - a couple of well placed Topeak Bar eXtenders got me all the lights i usually run on both the front & rear ( far more room on the mtb than the road handlebars - especially when you use to the cx's top brake levers often - not got used to the lower drops yet - steadily moving out & round though lol ) - they aint anything special as i tend to be on lit roads anyway but i don't trust just having 1 light only etc.

final issue is one of mudguards, not found a set i like the looks of yet - going to take some time to come round to the fact its an oldschool look for most mudguards out there for these bikes - will get there eventually but for now its guardless & staying so lol
  • newtonuk
    The amount of bar space left is very minimal isn't it. I removed the cross levers after 18 months or so and it does improve brake feel somewhat and gives you bar space back!

I'm using SKS Chromoplastic mudguards on mine, they look okay to me.
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • I've nearly hit the BUY button on a few SKS p45's ( was deciding on black or silver so googled for some picks & that did not help much other than putting me off the idea for a while ) but I just cant get the old fashioned style looks of them being so long & close to the tyre out of my head, nor the fact that the only times I have seen any mudguards on road bikes locally they have been heard far sooner than I saw them :( ( they were rattly as hell & occasionally rubbing on the tyres etc )

so got a lot of internal battling to do in my head before I can pull the trigger on the mudguards for the CX - will just use the mtb if it looks gloomy until the cx is guarded.

as for bar space, then after removal of the reflector & bell I had room for 2 lights which was not enough considering the class of motorist round these here parts. removal of the top brakes would have been a better way to create some space than the bar extender but for now it will be fine as I am trying not to mess too much till I get some mileage onto the thing as its done around 13 miles only so far so still lots of getting used to the new feel of the thing to do before I start messing further.
  • I've got the Topeak Defenders on mine, not perfect, and slight bodging to get a good fit, but fine for what they are

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/parts/mudguards/topeak-defender-rc1-rc11-road-mudguard-set-black
  • Afrer my accident on the Team Cx , Halfords gave me another bike, £50 voucher and three years service plan? :|

I received my new bike tonight and checked the PDI on it after I got them to deliver it.After the trouble with the bracket shearing I checked the torque settings on the pdi, it says 60.On the first bike I received it said 40.

Is this bike safe to ride? My bruising is going slowly after I fell off the first one because the crank bolt sheared.
    Looking at FSA website the torque settings say around the 40 mark. Just noticed those settings on fsa website are for the BB and not the crank arm bolts.
    It was the crank arm bolt that sheared last time.
  • newtonuk
    The BB on the CX Team is a PF30 which is press fit, there's no torque setting for that. The torque of 40nm refers to the crank arm bolt. 60nm is over tight.
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • The BB on the CX Team is a PF30 which is press fit, there's no torque setting for that. The torque of 40nm refers to the crank arm bolt. 60nm is over tight.

Thanks for that, anything to worry about? Just noticed the brake cabling running along the frame is a little baggy.Two clips missing on the tube to hold it in place.Bloody Halfords cant get anything right.
  • newtonuk
    I honestly couldn't say... I would have thought that it wouldn't be doing it any good being alloy and all, but I'm no engineer.
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • zisssou
    zisssou Posts: 2
    I just picked up my CX team the other day. I've had a Sensa road bike for about 3 years and that's a 54 frame, and it fits pretty perfectly, although my friend said it looked small. So I went into Halfords and tried the CX team and the 55.5 frame seemed to fit fine, although sitting on one and trying one is probably completely different... so I went for it, but now I'm wondering if I should have got the 53 instead, as my reach seems very different to my Sensa. Is it just a case of me having to get used to this bike? or do I need to go back and argue they've sized me wrong?