Boardman CX Owners Thread

Comments

• 2016 Spec

Rival 1x11, 44T Chainset
    Rival Hydraulic Disks
    Black

Rest looks the same

Very jealous of a 1x11

I converted mine to a 1 x 11 Rival and it doesn't work, well not for me and cross, it throws the chain about twice a lap as the RD is not strong enough to take the slack in lower gears, I've now changed it to a CX1 Force RD and its the dogs spuds, not thrown the chain in 17 races so far,love the CX1 set up with hydraulic disc as well.
    Trek Top Fuel 9.9 - Fuji CX 1.1 - Trek Boone 7 Disc - Room for 1 more
  • 2016 Spec

Rival 1x11, 44T Chainset
    Rival Hydraulic Disks
    Black

Rest looks the same

If that's the case I'm glad I had a change of heart and went for a Cannondale Caddx 105 from a Lbd, fantastic bike.
  • Hello all,

I'm about to buy my first cyclocross bike (actually my first bike in yrs) I want it for commuting & for doing forest treks with the gf.

I've narrowed it down to two bikes...

Boardman cx team 2014 or the
    Specialized diverge A1 2015

Not sure of the price difference, I know the boardman is €809.

Could anyone give me a bit of advice of which would be better. I'm very worried about the bb issues with the boardman.
  • Does anyone know how much the frameset (frame and forks) of a 2014 Boardman CX Comp weighs?

Thinking of upgrading but really wanna know how much weight I would actually be saving by going Carbon before shelling out that kind of money
  • Tilikum wrote:
    Hello all,

I'm about to buy my first cyclocross bike (actually my first bike in yrs) I want it for commuting & for doing forest treks with the gf.

I've narrowed it down to two bikes...

Boardman cx team 2014 or the
    Specialized diverge A1 2015

Not sure of the price difference, I know the boardman is €809.

Could anyone give me a bit of advice of which would be better. I'm very worried about the bb issues with the boardman.

I didn't like the BB on mine so upgraded to Shimano 105 on it which I found made a big difference
  • Strogauk wrote:
    Does anyone know how much the frameset (frame and forks) of a 2014 Boardman CX Comp weighs?

Thinking of upgrading but really wanna know how much weight I would actually be saving by going Carbon before shelling out that kind of money

They weigh a lot! I once had a CX comp and swapped it for a rose Dx. The Rose is an Ali frame but is so much lighter than the Boardman.
  • Strogauk wrote:
    Does anyone know how much the frameset (frame and forks) of a 2014 Boardman CX Comp weighs?

Possibly helpful - the Team CX has an Alloy frame weighing 2.030kg and carbon forks at 540g (55.5cm)
  • Strogauk wrote:

I'm building up a Boardman CXR 9.8 small frameset (NB I ride medium in most bikes).

You can find this here:
    https://www.boardmanbikes.com/products/ ... et-qr.html

The quoted weight on the site is Frame: 1.05kgs Fork: 460g (medium)

I weighed these as
    frame 1125g including headset cups
    forks 542g including expander steerer thingy and lower headset race.

It's building up into a sub 7.5 kg machine...

(not quite finished yet - awaiting rotors, bolts and a chain)
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    After a long hiatus I'm back on the bike permanently from Tuesday 29 March. Swapping 2hr round-trip commute by car for a 30+min round-trip commute by bike. :-)

Wasting a bit of time at my desk (5 days to go in current job) and stumbled across an old posting about gear hangers for the Boardman CX. Back in 2012 these weren't very easy to get hold of (an understatement). Today on Wiggle, 75% off and in-stock at £4.75. :shock:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/boardman-replac ... anger-d11/

At this price I have ordered one simply as a spare to keep in the bike toolbox.
    Boardman CX Team
  • mr-b
    mr-b Posts: 6
    Just upgraded my BB5 brakes to TRP HyRds and Jagwire compressionless cables - the difference in response is amazing (and the best my LBS had seen) and no more disk rub. The gears are much better too with the new cables. Decent brakes are well worth the investment IMO.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    cookdn wrote:
    After a long hiatus I'm back on the bike permanently from Tuesday 29 March. Swapping 2hr round-trip commute by car for a 30+min round-trip commute by bike. :-)

Wasting a bit of time at my desk (5 days to go in current job) and stumbled across an old posting about gear hangers for the Boardman CX. Back in 2012 these weren't very easy to get hold of (an understatement). Today on Wiggle, 75% off and in-stock at £4.75. :shock:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/boardman-replac ... anger-d11/

At this price I have ordered one simply as a spare to keep in the bike toolbox.

According to the blurb, thats the wrong one for the CX:
    Top Features of the Boardman Replacement Derailleur Hanger D11

AF3600 - D353 fits alloy MTB and Hybrids: MTB Race, MTB Comp, MTB Team, MTB Pro, MTB Comp 29er, MTB Pro 29er, Hybrid Comp, Hybrid Team, Hybrid Pro, Comp CX, Team CX, Pro CX as well as Urban MTB Comp R and Urban MTB Team R models but not Hybrid Race

B1126 - D41 fits alloy road bikes: Road Race, Road Comp and Road Team models

R7/R17/R18 - D87 fits elite road series: Road Team Carbon, all Road SLR and Road AiR models

M7 - D11 fits elite MTB series: All Elite carbon MTB models (EM prefix)

T8 - D339 fits elite TT series: All AiR TT models

B1143-G - D16 fits Hybrid Race only

you need the D353 available here http://gearmechhanger.com/D353-CNC-gear-mech-hanger-/-derailleur-hanger-/-MBK
  • cookdn
    apreading wrote:

According to the blurb, thats the wrong one for the CX:
    Top Features of the Boardman Replacement Derailleur Hanger D11

AF3600 - D353 fits alloy MTB and Hybrids: MTB Race, MTB Comp, MTB Team, MTB Pro, MTB Comp 29er, MTB Pro 29er, Hybrid Comp, Hybrid Team, Hybrid Pro, Comp CX, Team CX, Pro CX as well as Urban MTB Comp R and Urban MTB Team R models but not Hybrid Race

B1126 - D41 fits alloy road bikes: Road Race, Road Comp and Road Team models

R7/R17/R18 - D87 fits elite road series: Road Team Carbon, all Road SLR and Road AiR models

M7 - D11 fits elite MTB series: All Elite carbon MTB models (EM prefix)

T8 - D339 fits elite TT series: All AiR TT models

B1143-G - D16 fits Hybrid Race only

you need the D353 available here http://gearmechhanger.com/D353-CNC-gear-mech-hanger-/-derailleur-hanger-/-MBK

Thanks apreading, good spot. Not sure whether I was giddy with excitement, or seven weeks of an eight week notice period has turned my brain to mush. :? I'm suspecting the latter.

Thank Wiggle for free Collect+ returns. I'm just now better off by a discounted Park Tool Patch and Tyre Lever set, and another tube of High Five Zero drink tablets that ended up in the basket to qualify for free shipping. :wink:
    Boardman CX Team
  • Sorry if it has been asked before but anyone know the max tire width you'd get on the new cx team (2016 MY) 45mm maybe? There seems to be more clearance than the older models. The staff at halfords don't know.
  • cookdn
    Pannier rack because I can't be doing with stuff on my back when cycling on the road and I am now commuting daily. :-)

yq3cX-okagumRLf--AZQ5QkoGluzzfOQoPnVB3UoF9_UXDjfxfwUmsnvjM1eYixYD5uot-fQnU5pjvV7SO7N91XoskwDpcOq5vB4vcqrk4QW9Pi0QwN6w5Z8KmSn4wFNqPCiDCI8vaSX9tI5adyZopqgAzbuQKlBKXeOed7wFNOVh2cg8M7nSpaZWnj2t1Dn1wYa5tALFp5UQOeEZi-ogWPRumR96Thxu-d-JWtib66ZYZsiLXsuhjT9Ec_qF3MYZEAqNowMJ9_rVBOp4yg9D4jGjX50z8nUbwuXPL1QYM1lj8aQgXpCaINVzGCZwRNdX6wqVc5eUyHpDaUD8c6rY_zDoW1jyxn1x384C2vj6wmmbJ4o2JjmNnSggXKosgluX791OWN9BAyRTsf-nuJZTF37B4t3q3k-zMUDoDPD6QaSHKmawGOenzE1UEWjZF8FabmY_x69Rx75dUU00zu_MsvLVOF92QiDBn1cSQrFe9SHXN5OcwVpp5s8EmXT2ucKAVRyyy6w1dkDdIydo30C4SiakMlnT4ZhvrYYQYaUe04QB2qrmGHHWza8Wp5gH0UBFHQZ=w593-no

Picked up from a bike shop round the corner from work, a Madison AX4 with a light bracket on the back. I would have preferred a Tortec or Topeak but it is what they had. Actually it is an excellent fit and was easy to install.
    Boardman CX Team
  • mpdouglas
    mpdouglas Posts: 220
    edited April 2016
    For any of you with a thru-axle CXR, I managed to find a source of replacement rear mech hangers:

http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk ... hanger-498

Also, I recently splashed out on the Park Tools disc mount facing tool set that can deal with post mount, IS mount and flat mount. I'll gladly true up the mounts for anyone that can get to the Kingston on Thames area. It makes a massive difference in stopping squealing and rubbing of pads against the rotor.
    "The Flying Scot"
    Commute - Boardman CXR 9.4 Di2
    Sunday Best - Canyon Ultimate SLX Disc w/ DuraAce Di2
  • hotbaws
    hotbaws Posts: 1
    Hi All,

I'm looking for recommendations for a saddle bag to fit to my CX Team please?

Using it to commute so a couple of spare inners and some tools is all I really need to carry

Cheers
  • bob7896
    bob7896 Posts: 18
    Rear Derailleur options.
    Hello all, I need to replace my rear deraileur on the grey 2012 Boardman CX. Its done a lot of miles so i can't complain about it . But i am wondering if I can fit a SRAM X5 10 speed rear instead? As they are much cheaper than the SRAM road equivalents. Anyone had any experience with this?
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-x5-10-spee ... erailleur/
    Both have got "Exact actuation" written on them. How does X5 sit in the Apex/Rival range? I know X5 is MTB not road.
  • apreading
    The jockey wheels are poor in the X5, or at least they were on older models, as they had no bearings in them. The 'exact actuation' is the ratio of movement in the cable to the cage - they are both 1:1 so should be compatible. You should be able to get Apex for under £30 on ebay though?
  • davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    Winstanley Bikes have an Apex rear changer for £31.50, just a bit more expensive than the X5 at Wiggle.
  • apreading
    Just make sure you get the medium size cage I think for the CX.
  • newtonuk
    newtonuk Posts: 134
    Folks, I'd appreciate your thoughts on this. The NDS cone on my rear wheel is pitted and is a little notchy when setting up, however it appears fine when riding.

I'd like to replace the pitted cone so I contact Halfords to see if they could source a replacement. Their reply says that they can't and that I should use this but swap dust covers and whatnot over from my existing axle:

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/bike-wheels/halfords-10mm-x-145mm-axle-with-bearings-and-grease-hollow

Personally, but without much knowledge, I don't think I'm keen on that idea, but would prefer to ask the collective brain.
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6 (2014)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • Nothing wrong with that
  • a_to_the_j
    a_to_the_j Posts: 193
    Hi All,

New 2012 CX Pro frameset owner here - hope to post up my build as it happens. it has a BB but it seems a little sticky on one side, i'll put some shimano grease on it and see how it goes...

I'm thinking of a full FSA K force compact full kit (cranks , post , stem , bars) but i'm unsure if its BB compatible with the Pro? the pro is bb30 right?

anyone with any help on some light , slightly aero disc clincher wheels that wont break the bank ?

Cheers :)
  • inbike
    inbike Posts: 264
    I've got a spare hydraulic 11s Ultegra group that I've taken off another bike. (Including 11s wheels and drop bars.)

Any reason it wouldn't fit on my Boardman hybrid sport 2014 frame? (Which I think it's similar to the CX frame.)

The BB is BSA and the brakes are these ones - https://www.evanscycles.com/shimano-rs6 ... r-EV218605
  • apreading
    inbike wrote:
    I've got a spare hydraulic 11s Ultegra group that I've taken off another bike. (Including 11s wheels and drop bars.)

Any reason it wouldn't fit on my Boardman hybrid sport 2014 frame? (Which I think it's similar to the CX frame.)

The BB is BSA and the brakes are these ones - https://www.evanscycles.com/shimano-rs6 ... r-EV218605

In general, I think it should be possible to assemble and put together - the main thing I would want to make sure is that the brake calipers fit correctly as there are a number of new standards with 'flat mount' etc. The hybrid will be set up for post mount calipers I think. I think that is what your new brakes are too, so hopefully no problem there. If you want to test, all you need to do is hold the caliper up the the frame with a wheel and rotor in and make sure it would be positioned correctly.

The bit that may be an issue is not one which means it wont mechanically work though, but the Hybrid has a much longer top tube to take account of the fact that flat bars mean the contact point (where you hold the bike) is slightly behind the end of the stem because they curve backwards from the mounting point, whereas with drop bars, the contact point at the hoods is some way further forward than the end of the stem. So to get the bars set up in the right place you may need a REALLY short stem, which could be so short that it could affect handling.

If the original donor frame was slightly small for you, that might actually help!
  • STOLEN CX Comp 2014 - REWARD for recovery Black with white & blue bits
    Not even a week old.....
    It was a birthday present and goimg to be ridden in the Ride London at the end of the month

Stolen from Kings Sports Club Wimbledon.
    Fitted with a Gusset Black Jack Saddle (black with a stylized Union Jack) Topeak Explorer 29er Rack Garmin 1000 SKS Commuter guards Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700x 32 tyres Two Elite Custom race bottle cages (Black with white)

592479?

http://i1.adis.ws/i/washford/592479?

REWARD for the safe recovery (& ideally conviction of the thieving oik)
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Hope you get it back Muddi Camel - looks a great ride.
  • Thank you.

It's been recovered. : )

It had been "moved"/stashed.................

Safely back home now :)
  • apreading
    Excellent news!
  • a_to_the_j
    a_to_the_j Posts: 193
    ...so anyone on here running a Compact up front - and if so which one? i was toying with a triple, but always find getting the front to change smoothly and not rattly was too much faff....
    i was looking at FSA K force - anyone got any recommendations .... would be very welcome!