Boardman CX Owners Thread

Comments

• davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    If your disc rotors are OK, Ithat is not worn or warped, I would continue using them. I don't know about the Spyres, but I changed the BB5s for BB7s and kept the same rotors and the calipers were a straight swap, didn't need any of the other adapters that came with them.

Regarding the bottom bracket and chainset, if it's not causing any problems, I would carry on with them. My own experience with the BB30 bottom bracket has been fine. My Team CX is a 2012 one, with three winters under its belt and 7000 miles and the bottom bracket is fine. I wasn't happy with the Microshift front changer, so I fitted a Rival one after a couple of years.
  • If your disc rotors are OK, Ithat is not worn or warped, I would continue using them. I don't know about the Spyres, but I changed the BB5s for BB7s and kept the same rotors and the calipers were a straight swap, didn't need any of the other adapters that came with them.

Regarding the bottom bracket and chainset, if it's not causing any problems, I would carry on with them. My own experience with the BB30 bottom bracket has been fine. My Team CX is a 2012 one, with three winters under its belt and 7000 miles and the bottom bracket is fine. I wasn't happy with the Microshift front changer, so I fitted a Rival one after a couple of years.
    many thanks do you know a compatible chain i could order?
  • davem399
    I am using KMC 10 speed chains on both my Boardman CX (with SRAM Apex) and my summer bike, which is 105 5700 10 speed. KMC do several 10 speed chains at various price points, and you get a quick link connector too.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    KMC are the only ones with a re-usable quick link connector, as far as I know, and have been V reliable for me so I dont look at any other.
  • Very tempted to buy a CX Team given the 25% off and 0% Finance - any advice? i don't want to read through the whole 128 pages of this thread!

For info I am thinking of getting one as a commuter/winter trainer, putting on mudguards front and back. I do 25 miles round trip 3 or 4 times a week, then would probably try it on winter club runs if it's wet.
  • newtonuk
    newtonuk Posts: 134
    Very tempted to buy a CX Team given the 25% off and 0% Finance - any advice? i don't want to read through the whole 128 pages of this thread!

For info I am thinking of getting one as a commuter/winter trainer, putting on mudguards front and back. I do 25 miles round trip 3 or 4 times a week, then would probably try it on winter club runs if it's wet.

Should be good, make sure it's set up properly and get some road tyres.
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6 (2014)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • davem399
    I believe you will need to ensure that the forks have the eyes for mudguards as I understand that until fairly recently, they came without eyes?
  • Are the 2016 bikes announced yet? These must be due for a pretty big upgrade now? Hydraulic disks? More carbon? Better wheels? They were unique ish back in the day but every manufacturer now has a better deal in their line up.
  • Are the 2016 bikes announced yet? These must be due for a pretty big upgrade now? Hydraulic disks? More carbon? Better wheels? They were unique ish back in the day but every manufacturer now has a better deal in their line up.

Trying to find that myself. I'm torn between taking the current version which can be had for around £600 with the discounts or waiting. The guy at my local Halfords says they don't have a date or details of the new model other than it's going to be £995.
  • Personally I would wait. It would be 600 for the bike and prob another couple of hundred faffing about with parts and upgrades to get it where I would want it to be.
  • Personally I would wait. It would be 600 for the bike and prob another couple of hundred faffing about with parts and upgrades to get it where I would want it to be.
    Do you not think that would be the same with the new model anyway ?
    A saving of £400 allows my to purchase everything else including clothing I need to get back into biking.
  • apreading
    Boardman havent done a new bike every year in the past - they have had a two year cycle (pun intended!).

Make sure front forks have eyelets for mudguards and check/watch for cracks near the seat tube - both issues with early units of the current model but I think both issues resolved some time ago now (unless it is old stock in the store).
    A saving of £400 allows my to purchase everything else including clothing I need to get back into biking.

Maybe but I would hope the new model would have hydraulics etc.

If your wanting to get back into it then don't let me out you off. I had a Boardman CX and it was a trusty servant!
  • Boardman havent done a new bike every year in the past - they have had a two year cycle (pun intended!).

Make sure front forks have eyelets for mudguards and check/watch for cracks near the seat tube - both issues with early units of the current model but I think both issues resolved some time ago now (unless it is old stock in the store).

The current model is two years old, Halfords have reduced to get rid of the last stock.

If your wanting to get back into it then don't let me out you off. I had a Boardman CX and it was a trusty servant!

Honestly I'm not sure there is much I would want to change. I now need a bike for work which is only a few miles round trip. On top of that we have the forth and Clyde canal through our town and cycle tracks so I figure it's the best option for me. I know the reputation that Halfords have but think the Boardmans look great value for money and I don't need to go back to Halfords with it. Having said that the guy at my local Halfords is a bit of a bike nut and was actually very good spending loads of time with me, and he seemed pretty knowledgable, just thought I needed the 55.5 size when at 5ft 8inch I think the 53 will be a better fit for me.

Honestly I'm not sure there is much I would want to change. I now need a bike for work which is only a few miles round trip. On top of that we have the forth and Clyde canal through our town and cycle tracks so I figure it's the best option for me. I know the reputation that Halfords have but think the Boardmans look great value for money and I don't need to go back to Halfords with it. Having said that the guy at my local Halfords is a bit of a bike nut and was actually very good spending loads of time with me, and he seemed pretty knowledgable, just thought I needed the 55.5 size when at 5ft 8inch I think the 53 will be a better fit for me.

Absolutely you need the 53. I'm 6ft and the 55.5 felt big but right for me. CX bikes tend to require you to size down.

Absolutely you need the 53. I'm 6ft and the 55.5 felt big but right for me. CX bikes tend to require you to size down.

That was my thought. He pretty much discounted the 50cm model which would be the only other option. I have short legs and a long torso and he stated the reach was the main thing but that top bar did not have a lot of space under the legs so although it felt ok I'm going with the 53
  • apreading
    Boardman havent done a new bike every year in the past - they have had a two year cycle (pun intended!).

The current model is two years old, Halfords have reduced to get rid of the last stock.

Ah- OK, doesnt seem that long ago...

Last time around, the older model was better though, so not convinced I would wait for the new one - buy now at reduced price I say.
  • Boardman havent done a new bike every year in the past - they have had a two year cycle (pun intended!).

Last time around, the older model was better though, so not convinced I would wait for the new one - buy now at reduced price I say.

I would hope that the 2016 bikes are not a step down on the 14/15 models. I wouldn't think they would tempt many into an upgrade if that were the case.
    I honestly think they are due a face-lift. What was a niche market back in 2012/13 in terms of CX bikes/road bike/ gravel bike with disks has now become a major market sector. The expected spec for the rumoured £1000 model on almost all other brands would be-
    Hydraulic disks
    Carbon fork
    8-9kg weight
    Rack mounts full guards mounts
    In house wheels at around the 2kg mark.
    Shimano 105
  • Just gone for a 14/15 CXR9.8 frameset, with Kinesis wheelset.
    I don't pick it up for another month or so (LBS are dismantling it from a full 105 build).

It's a "sort of" upgrade to my existing tricross, but will be more tricked-out.

I'm planning on the following:
    - SRAM red 10spd
    - ultegra cassette
    - Bontrager or FSA SLK compact chainset GXP
    - xtr pedals
    - flite ti pedals
    - USE alien carbon seatpost
    - Bontrager RXL stem
    - PLT ergo bars
    -TRP Spyres

The only bits I will need to buy are the BB (Praxis, if I'm using a GXP chainset), seatpost shim (all of mine are 27.2 but it's easy to get an adaptor) and the Spyres.

I think in 12 months I might further upgrade as a full weight weenie with Ritchey disc assault wheelset, lightweight rotors and carbon bars, but for the time being I'm happy with what I have in the parts box.

I'm new to discs, but figure the Kinesis wheels are a pretty decent intro, and that the Spyres are a good lightweight option that will work with my existing 10spd SRAM Red kit
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • By the way for anyone with the bike. I'm going to purchase a Kryptonight New York D lock which comes in 3 sizes. Would you recommend the small, medium, or large ?
  • davem399
    Personally I would wait. It would be 600 for the bike and prob another couple of hundred faffing about with parts and upgrades to get it where I would want it to be.

That was my thought. He pretty much discounted the 50cm model which would be the only other option. I have short legs and a long torso and he stated the reach was the main thing but that top bar did not have a lot of space under the legs so although it felt ok I'm going with the 53
    I'm also 5'8" with long torso and short legs and have the 53cm CX, which I think was classed as a medium when I got it three years ago. I find it a good fit.

I'm also 5'8" with long torso and short legs and have the 53cm CX, which I think was classed as a medium when I got it three years ago. I find it a good fit.

Many thanks
  • 2016 Spec

Rival 1x11, 44T Chainset
    Rival Hydraulic Disks
    Black

Rest looks the same
  • 2016 Spec

Rival 1x11, 44T Chainset
    Rival Hydraulic Disks
    Black

Rest looks the same

Very jealous of a 1x11
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Now that is interesting. Must be nice having the hydraulics but that's going to make it much harder to convert it for a more road-bike type role (which surely you'd want to swap to 2x11) - a new set of hydraulic brifters or a left hydraulic shifting brifter won't be easy to find.

For actual cross use that could be very nice though.
  • apreading
    Its not just the brifter - would the cable routing be there to convert it?

Could the left side actually be a shift capable brifter already, and the routing sorted - just that Boardman dont fit the front Derailleur and just a single chainset? That would be the ideal for many, otherwise as you say it will marginalise the bike somewhat.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569

I would hope that the 2016 bikes are not a step down on the 14/15 models. I wouldn't think they would tempt many into an upgrade if that were the case.
    I honestly think they are due a face-lift. What was a niche market back in 2012/13 in terms of CX bikes/road bike/ gravel bike with disks has now become a major market sector. The expected spec for the rumoured £1000 model on almost all other brands would be-
    Hydraulic disks
    Carbon fork
    8-9kg weight
    Rack mounts full guards mounts
    In house wheels at around the 2kg mark.
    Shimano 105

The last model was built by Boardman when they were a separate company, the new one will be built by Halfords,who bought Boardman out last year. This may influence your choice.
  • 2016 Spec

Rival 1x11, 44T Chainset
    Rival Hydraulic Disks
    Black

Rest looks the same

For 1000?

• The last model was built by Boardman when they were a separate company, the new one will be built by Halfords,who bought Boardman out last year. This may influence your choice.

They're not suddenly going to be Apollos with a Boardman badge, the new Elite range have just come out and don't seem to have suffered