Boardman CX Owners Thread

Comments

• wsceats
    wsceats Posts: 25
    evo456 wrote:
    All for those interested in a replacement Freehub body for their Boardman CX Comp and Team, the compatible part number from Halfords is 125495 - FHB Urban Pro LTD 09. I have fitted this to my CX Comp 2013 and confirm it is the correct part.

Boardman CX Comp Team Freehub Free hub body.

Just found this post: my 2012 CX Team (Richey OCR wheels, Formula Disc Hubs) has pitting in the cup of the free hub body leading to a creaking sound, even when re-packed with new bearings and grease. Originated by using solvent to clean chain and cassette on the bike and entering the hub. Note to self.... from the post above it looks like if I can get Halfords to order a new '125495 - FHB Urban Pro LTD 09' free hub I should be able to remove the old one, pop on the new and my troubles are over. Before I do so, can anyone confirm they've done the same and it worked for a 2012 CX Team? TIA!
  • davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    My CX is a 2012 model with the Ritchey rims and Formula hubs. I replaced the freehub, but the part number I used at Halfords was 124100. I seem to remember after removing the axle that you need to unscrew the freehub from the non-drive side. This requires an Allen key around 11mm / 7/16" in size, but the freehub was supplied with the right sized one that fitted onto a socket set extension bar.
  • a_to_the_j wrote:
    ...so anyone on here running a Compact up front - and if so which one? i was toying with a triple, but always find getting the front to change smoothly and not rattly was too much faff....
    i was looking at FSA K force - anyone got any recommendations .... would be very welcome!

I swapped the 50t ring for a 46t and stayed with the same chainset

Also for anyone with the previous models of CX fitting compressionless brake outer makes an unbelievable difference to the brakes
  • wsceats
    DaveM399 wrote:
    My CX is a 2012 model with the Ritchey rims and Formula hubs. I replaced the freehub, but the part number I used at Halfords was 124100. I seem to remember after removing the axle that you need to unscrew the freehub from the non-drive side. This requires an Allen key around 11mm / 7/16" in size, but the freehub was supplied with the right sized one that fitted onto a socket set extension bar.

Thanks so much DaveM399. Of course I rang halfrauds this morning and quoted the part number. They don't recognise it and it's no longer in stock. Any other suggestions? Is there a model number I can quote in contacting a Formula stockist do you know? Cheers!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Do yourself a favour and just get a set of these: http://www.wiggle.com/pro-lite-revo-a25 ... -wheelset/ price matched to these: http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pro-lite- ... -wheelset/

awesome value - much lighter than the wheels that came with the bike, good, easily serviceable Novatec hubs.
  • wsceats
    apreading wrote:
    Do yourself a favour and just get a set of these: http://www.wiggle.com/pro-lite-revo-a25 ... -wheelset/ price matched to these: http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pro-lite- ... -wheelset/

awesome value - much lighter than the wheels that came with the bike, good, easily serviceable Novatec hubs.

Wow - that's incredibly cheap @ Ribble. And they fit straight in? Forgive my ignorance! :-)
  • wsceats
    wsceats wrote:
    apreading wrote:

Wow - that's incredibly cheap @ Ribble. And they fit straight in? Forgive my ignorance! :-)

OK - I'm guessing I'm being stupid here but the Ribbles are half the price of the Wiggles - different wheel set I'm guessing? So assuming price match won't work? Or if not buy them from Ribble - but seems a different (and heavier) wheel set?
  • apreading
    Price match works, but occasionally they say no, so just try again - will work, loads on here have successfully done it (I got two sets!). The Ribble ones are good but the Wiggle ones are much better. Failing that, the Cosine disc wheels at Wiggle may be even better http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cosine-23mm-all ... -wheelset/ but I dont know anyone who has them yet and not sure what hubs they use.
  • apreading
    And the Prolite and Cosine wheels use cartridge bearings so no probems with cup & cone getting pitted. The Novatec hubs on the Prolites are really easy and cheap to find spare parts like freehubs etc and they come with conversion kit to switch to thru axle if you change bikes later.
  • a_to_the_j
    a_to_the_j Posts: 193
    is the rear on the CX boardman 135mm or 130??
  • apreading
    135mm

130mm is for non-disc bikes (road bikes with rim brakes).
  • wsceats
    apreading wrote:
    Price match works, but occasionally they say no, so just try again - will work, loads on here have successfully done it (I got two sets!). The Ribble ones are good but the Wiggle ones are much better. Failing that, the Cosine disc wheels at Wiggle may be even better http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cosine-23mm-all ... -wheelset/ but I dont know anyone who has them yet and not sure what hubs they use.
    Brill - I've just done. Thanks so much for all the help - really apprecaited! :D
  • wsceats
    apreading wrote:
    And the Prolite and Cosine wheels use cartridge bearings so no probems with cup & cone getting pitted. The Novatec hubs on the Prolites are really easy and cheap to find spare parts like freehubs etc and they come with conversion kit to switch to thru axle if you change bikes later.
    - thanks - massively helpful! :)
  • apreading
    Always happy to help some other poor soul buy more bike bits... Join the club!

You will be amazed how much lighter they are than the stock wheels!
  • wsceats
    apreading wrote:
    Always happy to help some other poor soul buy more bike bits... Join the club!

You will be amazed how much lighter they are than the stock wheels!

any excuse, right! :D
  • a_to_the_j
    anyone fully outered their gear cables on the CX ? i can see how to on the rear mech, but the front mech must be impossible as there is no cable stop after the downtube and before the bend of the BB up to the mech.... unless there are any funky alternatives?

Also - i'm removing the FSA PF bottom bracket and getting the conversion back to threaded - anyone removed the original BB??? - it has like a plastic outer lining on the BB stating 'FSA Press Fit' - i assume this comes off with the bb too (it has to to allow a flush fitting threaded BB in its place....
  • Guys, I am collecting a 2016 Boardman CX Team next week and, following the suggestion in an earlier post, I bought the Pro Lite A21 wheels from Wiggle with the SRAM 11 speed freehub. However, the Boardman has an XG1150 cassette so I assume I need an XD driver freehub? Does anyone know if there is a XD driver freehub that fits these wheels or will I need to send the wheelset back?
  • Having done some further research and tired to find an answer on the Novatec website (second guessing the hub model), I don't believe an XD driver freehub is available for the wheelset. So I have ordered the Hunt 4 Seasons wheelset as a replacement.
  • a_to_the_j
    I have the PF30 removed from my CX Pro - selling it as i dont need it for the crank i have, looks in good nick - any owners here want first dibs? CRC has them on offer at 18.99 - so i dont want much - say 8quid posted? paypal?

pics are in this album here

Pics album
  • Is the 2014 Boardman CX still worth the money

I can get a brand new one for £460 with £100 worth of free accessories from halfords

I'm looking to start cyclocross this winter to keep my fitness going, is the 2014 version still a good buy at that price ?
  • Front brake pads wore up on my ~2012 cx team, so I finally decided to set them up properly.

Juddering noises under heavy braking resolved by repositioning the caliper - previously they were central around the disc, which meant that I had fairly long lever throw before the brakes engaged, and also meant as the pads wore, unless I nipped up the adjuster frequently, the caliper would push the disc out of alignment until it hit the outer pad.

Now I've shortened the lever throw by putting the caliper so that the piston is nearer to the disc than on the other side, and have resolved to actually nip up the adjusters more frequently.

Result - pin sharp quiet brakes that lock the wheels a good cm before reaching the bars.

I anticipate they will remain like this for at least a week before they revert to the previous state of 'will stop you, with noise and long lever travel'
  • a_to_the_j wrote:
    I have the PF30 removed from my CX Pro - selling it as i dont need it for the crank i have, looks in good nick - any owners here want first dibs? CRC has them on offer at 18.99 - so i dont want much - say 8quid posted? paypal?

Pics album

What did you use for the bottom bracket?
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6 (2014)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • m4ttc
    m4ttc Posts: 41
    I bought a 2014 model as a winter bike a month or so back. Can anyone recommend the best mudguards for winter?

Thanks
  • newtonuk wrote:
    a_to_the_j wrote:

Pics album

What did you use for the bottom bracket?

PF30 adaptor to threaded from wiggle - came with glue - gives me plenty of options now.
  • Front brake pads wore up on my ~2012 cx team, so I finally decided to set them up properly.

Juddering noises under heavy braking resolved by repositioning the caliper - previously they were central around the disc, which meant that I had fairly long lever throw before the brakes engaged, and also meant as the pads wore, unless I nipped up the adjuster frequently, the caliper would push the disc out of alignment until it hit the outer pad.

Now I've shortened the lever throw by putting the caliper so that the piston is nearer to the disc than on the other side, and have resolved to actually nip up the adjusters more frequently.

Result - pin sharp quiet brakes that lock the wheels a good cm before reaching the bars.

I anticipate they will remain like this for at least a week before they revert to the previous state of 'will stop you, with noise and long lever travel'

In a shocking development I actually had to slacken the cable tension as they were too sharp, wonders will never cease.
  • Hey guys!

Just Ordered a CXR 9.4!

After all the storm i've heard about the BB PF30 does anyone has ever tried to put the Chris King Press Fit 30?
    wich is apparently indestructible:
    http://www.bikemag.com/gear/bottom-brac ... -fit-woes/
  • I've just picked up a 2013 (i think) boardman cx frame and need to order some bits. I know bb is bb30 but can someone confirm which headset this uses please
  • You can always give them a call - i had to to find the headset for mine -

heres what they recom. for me - fitted perfectly (2012 CX PRO)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa- ... -prod84328
  • gavbarron wrote:
    I've just picked up a 2013 (i think) boardman cx frame and need to order some bits. I know bb is bb30 but can someone confirm which headset this uses please

depends what fork you're going to use
  • And bringing this post back to life..

My CX team is going on a little tour next weekend and after being used for daily commuting throughout the winter I thought i'd give it a little clean.

Little clean has turned into 'oh my god how is this still working under all this crud', but I was thoroughly impressed when I came to the hubs.. not been touched since I got the bike back in ~2012, rear was perfect so didn't disturb it, front a little tight.. popped off the seals and the grease is still clean green fresh and happy. Quick adjustment of the cup and cone bearings and done.

Pretty good for a set of cheap formula hubs I thought.

Braving putting back on the original excavaders for touring, I didn't have the best luck with puncture resistance on these before so we shall see how we go.