The Footie Thread - may contain spoilers

Comments

• Clever Pun wrote:
    I went to WHL on Sunday, I really wish I hadn't

had a great day other than the actual football.

Off to Brighton on Wednesday I want to see an improvement and result please. extra time isn't acceptable as it'll make getting home a freaking nightmare

And whilst we're talking of teams that need to get rid of players that are beyond their expiry dates..............
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    I went to watch West Ham play away to Millwall on Saturday... Very disappointing game. Even the noise seemed a little flat for this type of game. Thankfull outside the ground zero trouble was around ... which was a first from previous expirences of these games.

Funny West ham really look to have a better then this year then last year. Wonder how many teams have been relegated and have had that happen lol
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,331
    Ireland v Armenia for a place at Euro 2012

C'mon
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Yes, c'mon Armenia.
  • tailwindhome
    Joelsim wrote:
    Yes, c'mon Armenia.

Unless you're Armenian that's uncalled for.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • joelsim
    Joelsim wrote:
    Yes, c'mon Armenia.

I think that started when I watched England v Portugal in a boozer in the Aran Islands in 2006. During said game, there were two of us supporting England and about 200 supporting Portugal, chanting Figo Figo Figo every minute or two.

Me and this other fella gave everything we had to the cause, but alas the winker got us in the end.

A good laugh, but ever since my support has never wavered from any team playing against Ireland, Wales, Scotland, NI unless of course that team was Germany, Argentina, Italy, Portugal or France. Or the USA.
  • Joelsim wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    Yes, c'mon Armenia.

I think that started when I watched England v Portugal in a boozer in the Aran Islands in 2006. During said game, there were two of us supporting England and about 200 supporting Portugal, chanting Figo Figo Figo every minute or two.

Me and this other fella gave everything we had to the cause, but alas the winker got us in the end.

A good laugh, but ever since my support has never wavered from any team playing against Ireland, Wales, Scotland, NI unless of course that team was Germany, Argentina, Italy, Portugal or France. Or the USA.
    I must admit it has always baffled me why most English people think that If Scotland (or Wales or Ireland) are not involved in a tournament then we should automatically support England. If England weren't involved would you lot en masse support France or Germany, we're all Europeans after all. It's the same logic, to me anyway.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    thecrofter wrote:
    I must admit it has always baffled me why most English people think that If Scotland (or Wales or Ireland) are not involved in a tournament then we should automatically support England. If England weren't involved would you lot en masse support France or Germany, we're all Europeans after all. It's the same logic, to me anyway.

Because English (that I know anyway) usually give their (condescending) support to Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, when England aren't involved. They assume that's reciprocated.

You know, they kinda share parliament and stuff (not Ireland obviously..)
  • joelsim
    I never have, but that particular occasion was an eye-opener!

I expected it to be slightly more equal...

As I said, it was a really good laugh, there was no malice.

And if Ireland do get through, hats off to them and I will support them whole-heartedly against France, Germany, Italy and Portugal, or in fact any nation that is better than England.
  • tailwindhome
    Looks like Croatia, Portugal, Czech Rep or Turkey in the playoff

Oh dear
  • tailwindhome
    Joelsim wrote:
    if Ireland do get through, hats off to them and I will support them whole-heartedly against France, Germany, Italy and Portugal, or in fact any nation that is better than England.

I'm holding you to this
  • rick_chasey
    Anyone see Germany - Holland?

Good match, great football, sh!tter of a result.

Germany are the team to beat this Euros if they play anywhere near like they did last night.
  • tailwindhome
    Clever Pun wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Legacy:

Thierry Henry

Henry has left.. no legacy, nice memories a great signing nonetheless

So who's the happiest man on the whole forum then?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    What a goal, what a celebration. A proper tear-jerker that one.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Thats why I love sport, you could not script something like that. If you did, everyone in the cinema would walk out as it would seem so corny.

It was a typical Henry goal, but, boy do I miss them.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DonDaddyD
    Haha Tottenham,
    Haha Liverpool (Clever Pun = Ha!)

And Chelsea are an absolute joke! Should have backed his £13million record breaking manager.

Abramovic should either manage the team or promote Lampard/Terry to player manager and then sack them and manage Chelsea.

You can't have long term success with short term management. While Mourinho's team has bought success to Chelsea, no manager has been allowed to develop players and lay down a legacy of players bought and brought through. In contrast Man Utd have seen 2 - 3 teams built and dismantled during the Abramovic years.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • tailwindhome
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    And Chelsea are an absolute joke! Should have backed his £13million record breaking manager.

The management merry-go-round has been a joke at Chelsea but too quote one of the BBC journos, his was more of a "mercy killing"

Meanwhile in Spain Mourinho's Madrid are 10 points ahead of one of the best teams ever to play the game......

"We're not Special any more"
  • rick_chasey
    Other than a dented ego I don't see how AvB really loses out.

Get's a tonne of cash for a job he doesn't have to do anymore, and he'll probably get a job at Inter.
  • DonDaddyD
    I actually think he is or could be a good manager. I'd like to see him at Tottenham or Liverpool - a team that focuses on proper team and youth development.

I'd say Man U, but i personally think Martin O'Neil is next in line for that as he is the Fergusson type manager who isn't him.
    Food Chain number = 4

• tailwindhome
    Football is great, isn't it?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699

:evil:
    Feckin Chelsea, feckin football, feckin Europa League
    Best Spurs team in as long as I can remember, worst Chelsea and Arsenal teams in just as long. Still come up short by a few minutes and a point :evil:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    dhope wrote:

Best Spurs team in as long as I can remember, worst Chelsea and Arsenal teams in just as long. Still come up short by a few minutes and a point :evil:

you were flying clear nailed on for 3rd at worst.... only yourselves and 'arry to blame
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • dhope
    Clever Pun wrote:
    dhope wrote:

you were flying clear nailed on for 3rd at worst.... only yourselves and 'arry to blame
    Maybe the England gubbins too, we picked up again once Hodgson got the job.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rick_chasey
    Sat next to Alex McLeish last night in arestaurant. He's a big lad.

Does a lot of walking around looking important while he's on the phone.
  • beancounter
    beancounter Posts: 369

If you see him again could you tell him I wept with joy the day he was sacked by Villa.

Thanks

bc
    2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • rick_chasey

If you see him again could you tell him I wept with joy the day he was sacked by Villa.

Thanks

bc

Yeah. Unfortunately, the 'big lad' bit, and well, him being Scottish 'n' all precludes me from saying too much to him, since, y'know, I'm 171 and 54kg.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    54kgs?

I think my bike weighs more than you RC.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rick_chasey
    rubertoe wrote:
    54kgs?

I think my bike weighs more than you RC.

Your bike's probably taller than me too.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    dhope wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Maybe the England gubbins too, we picked up again once Hodgson got the job.

Isn't this the second time that Spurs have missed out on the Champions League when they have finished 4th? Oh yeah, when Liverpool won the Champs League Spurs were 4th then too. He he he.
    I wonder, were Spurs ('arry and/or the players) destracted by the England talk, or did 'arry lay off the gas so that the team didn't do quite so well so that 'arry wouldn't get the job without him having to turn it down (refusing to drink from the poison challice).
    You know, don't push them so hard in training, soft pedal the team talks, deliberately inferior tactics.

Or maybe the
    dhope wrote:
    Best Spurs team in as long as I can remember
    are just not good enough to overtake one of the worst Arsenal teams in years?

He he he. Spurs fan baiting is fun.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • dhope
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Isn't this the second time that Spurs have missed out on the Champions League when they have finished 4th? Oh yeah, when Liverpool won the Champs League Spurs were 4th then too. He he he.
    No, you're thinking of Everton and Liverpool. Liverpool got a place and so did Everton - was because of that year that the current rule was introduced. It then almost happened again when Spurs nearly beat Arsenal to 4th (Lasagne-gate) but then Spurs ended 5th and Arsenal got spanked by Barca so it didn't matter.
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Or maybe the
    dhope wrote:
    Best Spurs team in as long as I can remember
    are just not good enough to overtake one of the worst Arsenal teams in years?

He he he. Spurs fan baiting is fun.

Oi, you can't cut off my quote where I said that best Spurs can't even beat the worst Arsenal team, then add the same comment and claim you're baiting me. It just wont work, I wont bite. Oh... :roll:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo