The Footie Thread - may contain spoilers

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,333
    wenger_loss_report_1976617d.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Terrific result. :D
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Liverpool fan checking in, im not a normal liverpool fan. im a pessimistic liverpool fan. would be over the moon with 4th and a cup. reality 5th and nothing.

our summer signings:
    downing - 8m over priced IMO, but exactly the kind of player we need.
    adam - not over priced but not good enough
    henderson - double his money, may prove to be worth it in the long run, doubt it.
    doni - back up keeper, wont play apart from CC games. meh
    Jose Enrique - great signing. the only signing weve made this summer that im genuinely happy with in all respects.

still think we are missing a CB. Thought we might be missing a striker but as we currently have 10 midfielders on the books and will probably play narrow apart from downing i expect kuyt to play up front a fair amount this season. However we probably still need a new striker if as expected N'Gog leaves.

+1. Dalglish has bought players on their fantasy league scores. All very well but only one player can take a free kick and all of his purchases did for their previous clubs last season. And they already have Gerrard to do that. D'oh!

Enrique is a good signing, I can't believe there weren't more teams in for him, quality.
  • joelsim
    I have to say, me and a good number of my mates are getting sick of football these days, overpaid, cheating, arrogant etc etc. It's lost most of its magic.

I'm a Bolton fan and looking forward to beating City today, can't stand City or Chelsea. Where's the fun in buying the league. If I was a player I wouldn't go to City if they paid me all the money in the world.

In an ideal world Arsenal would win the title. They play the right way, they are financially responsible, they trust and buy youth. They need a break, if they'd won the Carling Cup last season they'd be in a great position to push on, they just need some confidence.

I sincerely hope that they do manage to bring in Eden Hazard and possibly Kaka, and then I'd like to see Wenger buy Pepe from Madrid. My starting 11 would then be.

Czesny (sp)
    Sagna Vermaelen Pepe Gibbs
    Hazard Wilshere Ramsay Kaka
    Arshavin Van P

Arshavin is a much better player when played as a second striker where he does for Russia rather than as a winger.

And look at this fella.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNRi5eE1X54
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Joelsim wrote:
    I have to say, me and a good number of my mates are getting sick of football these days, overpaid, cheating, arrogant etc etc. It's lost most of its magic.

I'm a Bolton fan and looking forward to beating City today, can't stand City or Chelsea. Where's the fun in buying the league. If I was a player I wouldn't go to City if they paid me all the money in the world.

In an ideal world Arsenal would win the title. They play the right way, they are financially responsible, they trust and buy youth. They need a break, if they'd won the Carling Cup last season they'd be in a great position to push on, they just need some confidence.

I sincerely hope that they do manage to bring in Eden Hazard and possibly Kaka, and then I'd like to see Wenger buy Pepe from Madrid. My starting 11 would then be.

Czesny (sp)
    Arshavin Van P

Arshavin is a much better player when played as a second striker where he does for Russia rather than as a winger.

And look at this fella.

What a contradictory post. You have managed to change your tune in the space of 3 paragraphs! So let me get this right, you can't stand City and Chelsea, because in your view they are buying the league (even though Man City have not won it as far as I know), yet you would like to see Arsenal go out and get Hazard, Kaka and Pepe. Are all three of them available on free transfers? No, they would cost quite a lot. Can you see the lack of cocsistency in your thinking? Or is ok for some clubs to spend a lot of money and not others.
    Since Association Football began teams have gone out and bought players to help them win things, it's nothing new. There have always been clubs with more money than others,it's nothing new. And there has always been envy in the game, it's nothing new.
    And I like Bolton, saw us win there to stay up in the old 2nd division, saw us win the league there as well, and they used to have a lovely chippie outside Burnden Park.
  • joelsim
    Joelsim wrote:

Czesny (sp)
    Arshavin Van P

And look at this fella.

What a contradictory post. You have managed to change your tune in the space of 3 paragraphs! So let me get this right, you can't stand City and Chelsea, because in your view they are buying the league (even though Man City have not won it as far as I know), yet you would like to see Arsenal go out and get Hazard, Kaka and Pepe. Are all three of them available on free transfers? No, they would cost quite a lot. Can you see the lack of cocsistency in your thinking? Or is ok for some clubs to spend a lot of money and not others.
    Since Association Football began teams have gone out and bought players to help them win things, it's nothing new. There have always been clubs with more money than others,it's nothing new. And there has always been envy in the game, it's nothing new.
    And I like Bolton, saw us win there to stay up in the old 2nd division, saw us win the league there as well, and they used to have a lovely chippie outside Burnden Park.

Not at all fella, as long as the income is generated by the club there is no problem. I have no issue with Man U. Hazard is being touted at £26m, Kaka on loan and Pepe is pie in the sky. Assuming Nasri goes Arsenal will have approx £65m to spend without adding anything.
  • cornerblock
    Joelsim wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Czesny (sp)
    Arshavin Van P

And look at this fella.

Not at all fella, as long as the income is generated by the club there is no problem. I have no issue with Man U. Hazard is being touted at £26m, Kaka on loan and Pepe is pie in the sky. Assuming Nasri goes Arsenal will have approx £65m to spend without adding anything.

Had a feeling you would come back with that old chestnut. Do you honestly believe that all the money spent by clubs over the years has been money 'generated by the club'. So when Liverpool were backed by the Moores family who owned Littlewoods Pools, do you seriously think that they did not help Liverpool go out and buy some of the top players of the day. It's all relative, there is so much money in football today ( I don't think that is entirely a good thing) the clubs that were the richest no longer are. Football is ever changing, in years to come other clubs will be spending the most, and then they will be disliked too.
    At the end of the day, and I've watched Chelsea when we were really crap and in debt, I could not care less where the money comes from ( as long as it is not illegal). If it's generated by Roman selling cuddly toys from his one bed flat in Moscow! Chelsea selling a billion hot dogs on matchday, I won't lie awake at night worrying about it.
  • joelsim
    edited August 2011
    It completely distorts everything. Man City paying the stupid wages pushes up wages at every other club. The players get richer, the fans have to pay for it. I can't stand it. £250k a week, it's just wrong. And before you ask, no I'm not averse to those people who are the best in the world at their chosen trade/profession being paid handsomely, they re the best and deserve it, but it's gone too far when the Adebayors of this world can get £180k a week for doing nothing. It's shameful when you see what's happening in Africa.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Had a feeling you would come back with that old chestnut. Do you honestly believe that all the money spent by clubs over the years has been money 'generated by the club'. So when Liverpool were backed by the Moores family who owned Littlewoods Pools, do you seriously think that they did not help Liverpool go out and buy some of the top players of the day. It's all relative, there is so much money in football today ( I don't think that is entirely a good thing) the clubs that were the richest no longer are. Football is ever changing, in years to come other clubs will be spending the most, and then they will be disliked too.
    At the end of the day, and I've watched Chelsea when we were really crap and in debt, I could not care less where the money comes from ( as long as it is not illegal). If it's generated by Roman selling cuddly toys from his one bed flat in Moscow! Chelsea selling a billion hot dogs on matchday, I won't lie awake at night worrying about it.

Not everyone has money in football Everton can't afford to buy biscuits
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • tailwindhome
    PL-decade-spending.jpg

Makes interesting reading....

ETA Sorry it's a bit scrolly
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    -£55m ish. Sounds about right. It's how a business should be run I suppose.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • joelsim
    So, Arsenal have spent less than 10% that of Man Shitty and Chelski.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I imagine united would be much higher if they included total spend on wages...
  • cornerblock
    Joelsim wrote:

Their shareholders must be delighted, not sure the fans are though.
  • joelsim
    To be honest I think Wenger deserves an awful lot more credit that he's getting. Less than half as much spent as Villa, less than a quarter of what Liverpool have spent. Much of that was to build the new ground, and probably now is the time to invest a little more.
  • rick_chasey
    It's the wages that are a lot. Teams get a lot and so can spend a lot on transfers. They retain some value, at least, more often than not.

It's the wages which is money down the drain for clubs.
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2011
    Double post.
  • Wolves fan.

Enjoying the start...expecting another rollercoaster season.
  • Wolves fan.

Enjoying the start...expecting another rollercoaster season.
  • rick_chasey
    Anyone see this quote from Gary Neville's book (previews), about what went on during Glenn Hoddle's reign over the England football team?
    "When the 1998 World Cup started, some of the players started taking injections from Glenn's favourite medic, a Frenchman called Dr Rougier. It was different from anything we'd done at United, but all above board, I'm sure."

"After some of the lads said they'd felt a real burst of energy, I decided to seize any help on offer."

Anyone a little sceptical here?
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011 ... enn-hoddle
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    5 games. 5 draws. 2 snatched from the jaws on victory in the last minute or two (including chucking away a 2 goal lead this weekend). It's like last season all over again...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Joelsim wrote:

Their shareholders must be delighted, not sure the fans are though.

Actually I am. I proud that our club (Arsenal) have had the second longest reigning Premier League manager at a single club. I'm proud that he was allowed to and has built a legacy. I'm proud of his contributions to English Football. I'm proud of the football we play, the foundations ethics and youth policy the club has been built on.

Yes the club at present is having a down patch but Arsenal is far older than you or I and has had many before and will have many to come. As you said there were clubs in the past that spent large sums who are no longer talked or thought about in top flight football. We however, have been about stability even in the face of a downturn.

We will have our glory again of that we can be sure. And if under Wenger we won't have had to break the bank to do it - which makes that glory evermore sweet.

DonDaddyD ~ Arsenal Fan.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • tailwindhome
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    We will have our glory again of that we can be sure.

Do you have the patience to wait as long as the Man U fans did or as long as the Liverpool fans have been?

Actually the figures which jump out of that analysis to me is the money spent by Spurs and Liverpool with no end result.

If Chelsea (and now Man City) hadn't spent big to build a team from scratch then it would have been near impossible to close the gap on the established 'big' clubs.

You might not like it...but it has made for a more interesting league and is no more or less valid than 'developing' youth which is a euphamism for pouching young talent from the 'natural' home clubs knowing that you have the financial muscle to endure a high reject rate.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Actually the figures which jump out of that analysis to me is the money spent by Spurs and Liverpool with no end result.
    Yeah, noticed that too (Spurs fan here).
    We've certainly not bought as wisely as Arsenal. They've bought a lot of dross but generally more cheaply than the dross we've bought, and the standout players, Henry, Vierra, Fabregas, have had more impact than our better signings.
    Nice as it is seeing the Gooners going through a lull, they do seem to have funded a new stadium fairly comfortably while staying in the top 4. Their match day revenue is huge now that they've got the larger ground plus all the hospitality, sponsorship etc.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Anyone see this quote from Gary Neville's book (previews), about what went on during Glenn Hoddle's reign over the England football team?
    "When the 1998 World Cup started, some of the players started taking injections from Glenn's favourite medic, a Frenchman called Dr Rougier. It was different from anything we'd done at United, but all above board, I'm sure."

"After some of the lads said they'd felt a real burst of energy, I decided to seize any help on offer."

Anyone a little sceptical here?
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011 ... enn-hoddle

England football team in performance-enhancing drugs shocker? Well, given the results under that particular manager it's hardly credible is it ;)

Strange that the media don't seem to have made a bigger deal out of it, NOT! You can't going messing with the "national game"!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Do you have the patience to wait as long as the Man U fans did or as long as the Liverpool fans have been?

Yes I would wait that long and longer still. There are a small but vocal group of "fans" that have been so spoiled by Arsenal's recent success and attractive, promising style of football that have seemingly forgotten where we've come from. I'm not one of them.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Yes I would wait that long and longer still. There are a small but vocal group of "fans" that have been so spoiled by Arsenal's recent success and attractive, promising style of football that have seemingly forgotten where we've come from. I'm not one of them.

Indeed. Boring boring Arsenal :lol:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Maybe they're f*cked off because Wenger is being stupidly stubborn over this. Arsenal's success came when they had brawn as well as flair - so the likes of Campbell and Viera, along with the creativity of Henry, Bergkamp, Pires etc. It doesn't take a genius to look at the current side, and the league, to realise that you need both to succeed in this league.

The Arsenal fans I know would never boo Wenger (anyone that does isn't a proper fan). My boss has been going since he was a kid, as has his Dad who is in his 70's now and had a season ticket since his 20's. He's seen it all, and he agrees that they need a bit of brawn. I don't understand why Wenger doesn't seem/want to grasp this.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    **pokes his head onto thread to see if Asprilla is around**

...crap, crap, crap!!!

We looked lgood for the win for about 20 minutes in the first half, and too be honest I still don't think we deserved to lose (although the Larsson hand ball was a clear sending off!!)

Mignolet totally at fault for the goal (piss poor positioning) - can't wait until Gordon is back.

Must do better, especially against the Mags.... :(
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    England football team in performance-enhancing drugs shocker? Well, given the results under that particular manager it's hardly credible is it ;)

Strange that the media don't seem to have made a bigger deal out of it, NOT! You can't going messing with the "national game"!

I'm convinced there's a big drugs issue in football. Given all the money and pressure I can't see how there isn't.

Look at all the players who are dying from heart attacks. Similar to what happened in cycling a few years ago.
    <a>road</a>