The Footie Thread - may contain spoilers

Comments

• HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    the same since 24th October 2004

Co-incidentally the day after Arjen Robben made his Chelsea debut and effectively won Chelsea the league.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    Off to see the mighty Black Cats get dumped out of the Carling Cup tonight!! :)

and Lo! it hath come to pass
    <a>road</a>
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    I knew it would.

Brighton are a tidy little team and, I would have thought, will stay up this season.

Nice new stadium as well, although having to get a bus almost 20 minutes to get there from Park and Ride is a bit of a ball ache.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Barton given permission to talk to QPR.

It's not quite top four, is it now Mr McKay?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Europa groups just announced. Stoke in Kiev, Istanbul and Tel Aviv. Hostile and expensive :?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Looking forward to getting beaten in Manchester on Sunday DDD?
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Gussio wrote:
    Europa groups just announced. Stoke in Kiev, Istanbul and Tel Aviv. Hostile and expensive :?

Can't beat Euro aways - great times. Result often secondary to the fun . . . :D

However, those three cities take some beating on the hostile locals ! Maybe substitute Tel Aviv for one of the Italian, Polish or FYR clubs . . . :shock:
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    To be fair to Istanbul, I was there in 2009 when the UEFA Cup final was played between Shaktar Donetsk and Werder Bremen. The game was in the Fenerbahçe stadium, which is far from the nicest part of town. Was a great atmosphere and I didn't see a hint of trouble. That said, English fans have had a pretty scary time of it over there.....

Anyway, we should do OK. Kiev probably the strongest in the group and they are at best a Championship side (hopefully).
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Wasn't Wisla Krakow, who Fulham drew, one of the teams featured on one of those Ross Kemp TV programmes on gangs?
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778

I think he's expecting the legacy to protect them
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,333
    Fantastic draw for Shamrock Rovers in the Europa League, Spurs is a great reward for the first Irish team to reach the group stage of a European competition.

In other business I hope to see Chelsea give their season a kick start against Norwich on Saturday. Looking forward to see how Mata and Torres link up.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689

Yep, I have faith!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Well at least you can sob into your legacy

City are looking bloody strong
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Man City girl here - and in a very good mood after the 5-1 trouncing of Spurs :D
    Still watching them with my fingers half covering my eyes though, hard habit to get out of!
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    It's raining in Manchester again. Goals this time.
  • rick_chasey
    United showing arsenal how to use youth properly.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    It was 3-1, browsed for Vuelta news, and now it's 7-2. Oh my.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cornerblock
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Yep, I have blind faith!

Updated for you.
  • cornerblock
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Yep, I have blind faith!

Updated for you. :D
  • asprilla
    I feel for Wenger; I'd eight two be in his shoes this morning.

Thanks, I'll be here all week, try the fish....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • DonDaddyD
    rip+arsenal.jpg

Sad_cry.png

No one talk to me!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,333
    The Premiership title this year is going to be decided between what are essentially 4 NEW teamsl; Utd, City, Chelsea and Liverpool.

Liverpool being the outsiders
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    The Premiership title this year is going to be decided between what are essentially 4 NEW teamsl; Utd, City, Chelsea and Liverpool.

I'd imagine, come the final run in, United will look more like the United of last year.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I see Wenger has been given the 'vote of confidence' today...

Our Gooner MD is having to spend today with a client in Manchester.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250

I'd imagine, come the final run in, United will look more like the United of last year.

I wouldn't.

As has been pointed out on here, this is an example of how to use youth properly. Bring it through your own ranks so they know the system, play Carling Cup/go out on loan to get some experience, bring back to become an integral part of the team.

What's more interesting is that United now play more like Barcelona than Arsenal do, they have no "striker" in the traditional sense, just a bunch of attacking midfielders that are as interchangeable as it gets. You can't mark them, you don't know where they are, or where they're going to be, you just HAVE to pick them up as soon as they move into your zone and then be willing to either follow them (not great) or hand them on very effectively. None of which happened at WHL or OT at the weekend.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • asprilla
    Newcastle currently have two excellent goalkeepers, Sweden's under-21 keeper, England 's under-18 keeper and we've leant our third choice keeper to Celtic.

So that's 5 decent keepers.

So why, when we need a left back, cover for CB as one is out for 8 weeks, midfield cover and a decent striker, do we have two goalkeepers currently undergoing medicals?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    As has been pointed out on here, this is an example of how to use youth properly. Bring it through your own ranks so they know the system, play Carling Cup/go out on loan to get some experience, bring back to become an integral part of the team.

What's more interesting is that United now play more like Barcelona than Arsenal do, they have no "striker" in the traditional sense, just a bunch of attacking midfielders that are as interchangeable as it gets. You can't mark them, you don't know where they are, or where they're going to be, you just HAVE to pick them up as soon as they move into your zone and then be willing to either follow them (not great) or hand them on very effectively. None of which happened at WHL or OT at the weekend.

Agreed. Manure looked have looked very Barca-eque over their last 2 games. Playing a very quick passing game. You have to applaud Fergie.
  • DonDaddyD

I wouldn't.

At first I was going to resoundingly disagree with you what with Owen, Berbatov, Wellbeck and Rooney and then I got to thinking...

I've heard the phrase tippy tappy being banded about around teams that play this fluid style of football (one touch pass the ball around and are not bound by a single position). It is dependent on players being able to play anywhere on the pitch and Prem Mangers have been saying for a while that the best players can play anywhere on the field due to their understanding of the game and the role they play.

So I agree +1

"Tippy tappy" The natural evolution of Holland's Total Football?
    Food Chain number = 4

• rick_chasey
    DonDaddyD wrote:

It's not for nothing Cruyff is a part of the furniture at Barcelona.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Pass and move - the liverpool groove.

EDIT: thinking of which - can't help feeling that the pass and move becomes look and hoof whenever Caroll is on the field. Much more fluidity when Suarez is on the pitch by himself.

and - no way should Meireles be sold to any other UK club.