The Footie Thread - may contain spoilers

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    "Tippy tappy" The natural evolution of Holland's Total Football?

Surely you mean Tiki-taka?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,333
    For all your transfer deadline day rumours

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9575900.stm

I can't wait to see who Harry has lined up for when Modric goes to Chelsea.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    For all your transfer deadline day rumours

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9575900.stm

I can't wait to see who Harry has lined up for when Modric goes to Chelsea.

Yossi B as a temporary stop gap, betcha.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,333
    JZed wrote:
    and - no way should Meireles be sold to any other UK club.

9690419.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    JZed wrote:
    and - no way should Meireles be sold to any other UK club.

9690419.jpg

Chelsea must be laughing. Getting rid of Benayoun to Arsenal and bringing in someone of the quality of Meireles for only £12m. Who needs Modric.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    In Arsene I trust.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    In Arsene I trust.

yeah we get that, with the exception of Metesaker I think that's a pretty good haul. Yossi and Arteta will add experience for a year or two giving you time to blood more youngsters with more care

Very happy with Liverpool's dealing right until the end Mierels to Che$ea has left a sour taste in my mouth. Hopefully his form will go the same way as torres
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Not happy with the Miereles transfer.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Clever Pun wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    In Arsene I trust.

yeah we get that, with the exception of Metesaker I think that's a pretty good haul. Yossi and Arteta will add experience for a year or two giving you time to blood more youngsters with more care

Very happy with Liverpool's dealing right until the end Mierels to Che$ea has left a sour taste in my mouth. Hopefully his form will go the same way as torres

"with the exception of Mertesaker"

WTF?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cjcp wrote:

I am. Hopefully it's the same Miereles that finished last season, unlike the Torres imposter that was bought last January (though I still think he'll come good). Feeling a lot happier about the Chelsea midfield now, Mata and Miereles will give it a bit of pace and potency, which it's been sadly lacking for a while.
  • cjcp wrote:

I am. Good bit of business I reckon. He was the Liverpool fans player of the season in 10/11. Amazed they let him go.
  • Clever Pun
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    In Arsene I trust.

"with the exception of Mertesaker"

WTF?

you seen him play? he's tall and will give you one person to stand up to stoke et al but on the ground he'll be embarrassed and slow...really slow
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    cjcp wrote:

I am. Good bit of business I reckon. He was the Liverpool fans player of the season in 10/11. Amazed they let him go.

erm no he wasn't... Lucas was. Raul was second, the only good thing to come out of the Woy era... except woy leaving of course.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Apologies, he was the PFA Fans’ Player Of The Year. Whatever that means.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    I think I'm more gutted about Meireles going than Torres. He was pure class.

Bellamy seems a shrewd piece of business. Reckon him up front alongside Suarez adds another dimension. Not sure Suarez and Carroll have hit it off - in fact not sure Carroll has hit it off at all and we look much better with him sat on the bench. Hopefully he'll come good but he just seems to lack pace and movement and encourages the "hoooooffff". No thank you - pass and move.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    JZed wrote:

Bellamy seems a shrewd piece of business. Reckon him up front alongside Suarez adds another dimension. Not sure Suarez and Carroll have hit it off - in fact not sure Carroll has hit it off at all and we look much better with him sat on the bench. Hopefully he'll come good but he just seems to lack pace and movement and encourages the "hoooooffff". No thank you - pass and move.

Carroll's useful when you're up against it and need to flood the midfield a bit.

It's whether you have enough quality in the midfield to make use of a guy like Carroll holding it up for them.
  • Carroll is a Championship player.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Carroll is a drunkard
  • Clever Pun
    Gussio wrote:
    Carroll is a drunkard

got any proof of his lifestyle then? No didn't think so

If you're referring to Cappelos comments that were reported in the press, you might want to check the dates of the quotes and start again.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Gussio wrote:
    Carroll is a drunkard

If you're referring to Cappelos comments that were reported in the press, you might want to check the dates of the quotes and start again.

:lol: This is the internet where proof is not required. When the Stoke fans were singing to him on Saturday that he was still p1ssed, he gave a big grin. Good response.

Roll on Kiev this Thursday....
  • rick_chasey
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Gussio wrote:
    Carroll is a drunkard

5th September 2011?
  • JZed wrote:

Bellamy is shot to pieces fitness-wise. I doubt you will get 10 games out of him. Better keep him away from the golf days as well.
    <a>road</a>
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Gussio wrote:
    Carroll is a drunkard

5th September 2011?

yes that's when the article was printed , the quotes on the other hand date back to march when he was recovering from injury, it's just the same old shtick from the press. Kenny refuted this himself..
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • rick_chasey
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Gussio wrote:
    Carroll is a drunkard

5th September 2011?

yes that's when the article was printed , the quotes on the other hand date back to march when he was recovering from injury, it's just the same old shtick from the press. Kenny refuted this himself..

Err no.

The reason it all came up again is because Capello mentioned it again, before the Wales match.

I'll even give you the youtube clip of the conference if you still don't believe me!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA_KWpEdT2w

A liverpool fan in denial? Who'd have thought.
  • Clever Pun
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xb4xHAIzko

Still comes down to no evidence about Carrolls drinking just hearsay... he's tarred with that brush.

Are you plastic Arsenal then? Just wondering where that needless jibe came from
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • rick_chasey
    Clever Pun wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xb4xHAIzko

Still comes down to no evidence about Carrolls drinking just hearsay... he's tarred with that brush.

Are you plastic Arsenal then? Just wondering where that needless jibe came from

Capello says he's got a problem. On two seperate occasions.

Manager who agreed to pay £35 million says he doesn't.

I was born in Heerenveen and my grandfather played for them.

Dad's from red Manchester, so day to day it's easy to support United, but my heart really lies with Heerenveen.

Either way, Capello has mentioned it recently.
  • Clever Pun
    So, a decent manager defends his players in public.

What's said behind closed doors is different.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • What a cracker of a game yesterday.

We (Chelsea) could easily have won that game...or been beaten 6 or 7.

Torres goal was a real glimpse of the old form coming back, I just hope missing that sitter doesn't wreck his confidence further.

Also (and this may be bordering on blasphemy) it's time to retire Lampard and Terry

We can still win this league.
  • What a cracker of a game yesterday.

We (Chelsea) could easily have won that game...or been beaten 6 or 7.

Torres goal was a real glimpse of the old form coming back, I just hope missing that sitter doesn't wreck his confidence further.

Also (and this may be bordering on blasphemy) it's time to retire Lampard and Terry

We can still win this league.

Not a fan of either side and that made it an exciting game. Difference was that they always looked like scoring, your lot didn't. Torres is much maligned, he set up the two goals against Leverkeusen and his all-round game is infinitely superior to Drogba's, it's just other people benefitting in terms of getting goals (Mata for example).

You are right about Lampard and Terry and the only people who can't see it are most of you bluenoses. The side looks much superior without Lampard in it, quicker, more precise, less laboured and there's still the midfield goal threat, now from the younger, quicker, technically more gifted Mata. The one thing that Ferguson has always done well, and a LOT of fans at many clubs need to understand, is when to move the big names on. Ince, Keane, Stamm, Van Nistelrooy, Ronaldo etc.etc. There's a few hanging around most clubs, living off past glories, that need to be gracefully retired off to pastures new. Can you see all your fellow fans going for it though?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Clever Pun
    I went to WHL on Sunday, I really wish I hadn't

had a great day other than the actual football.

Off to Brighton on Wednesday I want to see an improvement and result please. extra time isn't acceptable as it'll make getting home a freaking nightmare
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5