The Footie Thread - may contain spoilers

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Physicality isn't the problem.

It's mentally.

They can clearly play very good football and win.

Without wanting to sound trite, a look at United or Chelsea (especially United), or Barca or Real, shows what real top level confidence/arrogance/robust mentality can do.

Arsenal play like the Dutch teams of old. Lovely football, but mentally fragile and inconsistent. Days where they can spank a team 5-0, others where they don't seem to turn up.

They're so odd that attempts to get angry guys into the dressing room turn into people having hissy fits, arguing, and getting sent off, rather than galvanising a more robust mentality.

God I sound trite...
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    rjsterry wrote:
    Chelsea fan here but haven't really been following much since Baby Cat came along as even Sunday morning MOTD can't have my full attention as its Lady Cat's lay-in so I'm doing bottles, making puree, changing nappies, feeding, cleaning, doing laundry and playing building blocks on a Sunday morning. Or out on the bike.

Saturday night MOTD is on far too late.

I've noticed since moving to Carshalton that Chelsea is pretty much the only team one is permitted to support - is there a reason for this? Not exactly local are they?

Nope, but always been popular in Surrey, used to be a Chelsea store in Guildford. Not sure it's there anymore.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Nasri we bought from Lazio for £12mil it takes time to adjust to the Prem, he plays better now than he ever did at Lazio and the French league pales in comparison to the Prem.

Erm, I think you'll find that ars* bought Nasri from Marseille, not Lazio.

S'funny that, I thought he may have got the hint that I knew where he'd come from when I explained that I'd watched him for a number of years at OM!

As for the bullsh1t answer to the Walcott thing, that's just the standard Arsenal fans fodder. I suggest you take a look back at what Theo was doing at 16 as a central striker and remind yourself why you paid £12m for him, then ask yourself what's happened since.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641

I've noticed since moving to Carshalton that Chelsea is pretty much the only team one is permitted to support - is there a reason for this? Not exactly local are they?

Nope, but always been popular in Surrey, used to be a Chelsea store in Guildford. Not sure it's there anymore.

Training ground is in Cobham?
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    There is no question that Wenger has an eye for talent and gets the best out of players. No question. To suggest otherwise is to not have watched football for the past 10 or so years.

It's a lot easier to have an eye for talent if there's a chequebook or investment in acadamies / feeder clubs abroad! Moyes, O'Neill and Allardyce are probably better examples as managers that have got the best out of players.

Arsenal are one of those clubs you can look at as a football fan that follows another side and feel both sympathy and also bewilderment. Every fan would love to see the sort of football Arsenal regulars are watching, yet it's the 'winning dirty' that eludes them...and that, I'm afraid, is what is needed to bring silverware into the trophy cabinet...

As mentioned by lostboysaint, Gibbs is looking a decent prospect (we had him playing in central midfield under Roeder for some reason!) and that loan out to Bolton will have done Wilshere the world of good. I disagree regarding Lansbury, he's a quality player - not sure he'll find a spot in the Arsenal side that suits him and part of me hopes he doesn't...I'd love to have him back at Carrow Road in a permanent move!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    CP wrote:
    you should have faith in your manager but a lot of fans booing at a friendly (what the hell was with that/?) think otherwise

I was at that friendly, it felt justified. The booing wasn't aimed at Wenger.

I work with a lifelong Arsenal season ticket holder (who's in his 40's), even he is getting fed up with Wenger now. No point in 'developing youth' only to sell them on. Arsenal are the world's biggest feeder club, and won't be in the top 4 this season unless they buy some physicality.

I know season ticket holders who disagree with everything you've said.

Buy a defender, midfielder and attacker yes, but fed up with Wenger? Never. As for a feeder club, I disagree we haven't got a history of selling our best players until we've used them up. In fact the only players to have left, young, that I've regretted is Anelka and Fabregas.

The Liverpool match will be interesting, but then if Liverpool gel they could be the darkhorse in plain sight for the league.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I work with a lifelong Arsenal season ticket holder (who's in his 40's), even he is getting fed up with Wenger now. No point in 'developing youth' only to sell them on. Arsenal are the world's biggest feeder club, and won't be in the top 4 this season unless they buy some physicality.

Everything?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Everything?

:lol::lol::lol: I was sure he was playing for Lazio. OK you were right about that and right about buying players. But there is a growing division between Arsenal fans. Those that are getting fed up with Wenger and want him sacked. And those that think it's nonsense. I'm on the nonsense side - I don't see another available manager as being able to take Arsenal further than Wenger has.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    YES!

SOME GOOD NEWS coming out of Arsenal for once!

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11670_7105712,00.html

Now all we need is Bendtner to be sold and Arsenal to buy eleven more players for cover and the season will be ours!!! :lol:
    Food Chain number = 4

• Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Chelsea, Linfield, Rangers.

I am joking...just Chelsea. I used to go to a lot of the games as a youth, but my interest in the Chels is at an all time low these days. I preferred middle table mediocrity and having the shortest height team in the league.

Football has been sh*t since Euro 96.
  • il_principe
    I'm with you to an extent. I do miss the days of Zola, Poyet, Petrescu & Wise, but never thought I'd see the success of the last few years.

All I really want is for a talented manager to be given time to build. I'd love for AVB to be that man.

Having said that I have given up my membership. Would rather go ride than go to the game these days.
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Sewinman wrote:
    Chelsea, Linfield, Rangers.

I am joking...just Chelsea. I used to go to a lot of the games as a youth, but my interest in the Chels is at an all time low these days. I preferred middle table mediocrity and having the shortest height team in the league.

Football has been sh*t since Euro 96.

Stein, Wise, Wee Johnny Spencer. Happy days.

Yes, the atmosphere has gone but it has gone in almost every ground to be fair (or in Arsenal's case, was never there in the first place . . .)

I kind of agree - The football's better but the going to the game isn't as much fun . . .
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Sunderland.

Must say, I thought we got an exceptional deal on Henderson (we had a ready made replacement who played Saturday - Colback), but then I was watching Gyan's gaols from last season on YouTube yesterday, and he seemed to be involved in everything!!! :?

Anyway, getting shot of Bent, and selling Henderson has allowed us to strengthen the squad in other much needed areas, especially defence. Brown looked like he had a good game on Saturday, and with O'Shea to step into the back four I'll be happy, as long as they can stay injury free.

Larsson is a good signing on a free, but I'm hoping Sessegnon will step up and fulfil his potential this season. If so we could see some exciting football at the SOL for a change!! :)

OH, and bring on The Mags this weekend!!! :);)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    Sunderland.

Must say, I thought we got an exceptional deal on Henderson (we had a ready made replacement who played Saturday - Colback), but then I was watching Gyan's gaols from last season on YouTube yesterday, and he seemed to be involved in everything!!! :?

Anyway, getting shot of Bent, and selling Henderson has allowed us to strengthen the squad in other much needed areas, especially defence. Brown looked like he had a good game on Saturday, and with O'Shea to step into the back four I'll be happy, as long as they can stay injury free.

Larsson is a good signing on a free, but I'm hoping Sessegnon will step up and fulfil his potential this season. If so we could see some exciting football at the SOL for a change!! :)

OH, and bring on The Mags this weekend!!! :);)

Not looking forward to this weekend at all. Our lot are out of sorts and taking time to settle while Mrs Doubtfire has managed to buy and integrate some decent players in the closed season. I guess that's the difference between a reasonable manager and Alan Pardew.

I can't believe we told Seb Larsson to do one in the summer after he didn't come in Jan. We've got a team full of left wingers and here's one, a quality one, with prem experience who is going for free and wants reasonable wages, and we say no. Daft, but probably not the daftest decision our board will make this season, not by a long chalk.

For those of you complaining about Arsenal becoming a feeder club; think yourselves lucky, that's the extent of our ambition at the moment....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • DonDaddyD
    Chelsea's buy the league policy is what destroyed English football IMO. Other teams had to follow suit and it's all the vogue to have each of the starting XI bought for £10mil or more.

I agree with Rick Chasey's post.
    Arsenal play like the Dutch teams of old. Lovely football, but mentally fragile and inconsistent. Days where they can spank a team 5-0, others where they don't seem to turn up.

They're so odd that attempts to get angry guys into the dressing room turn into people having hissy fits, arguing, and getting sent off, rather than galvanising a more robust mentality.

I will never agree that Walcott was a better player at Southampton. He may have looked better amongst the shit that Southampton fielded but lined up with a proper team he looks class but still needs to develop, which is what he is doing. Moving to Arsenal was the best thing for him - he'll also less likely burnout young like many young players pushed too soon (Joe Cole, Owen etc).

If the current Arsenal team (which is pretty good on paper) were to ever believe they could they'd win the league - they are good enough.

But as I said in 38 games we'll revisit this thread.
    Food Chain number = 4

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I'm with you to an extent. I do miss the days of Zola, Poyet, Petrescu & Wise, but never thought I'd see the success of the last few years.

I always liked Flo
  • asprilla

I always liked Flo

Benjamin?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    rjsterry wrote:
    Chelsea fan here but haven't really been following much since Baby Cat came along as even Sunday morning MOTD can't have my full attention as its Lady Cat's lay-in so I'm doing bottles, making puree, changing nappies, feeding, cleaning, doing laundry and playing building blocks on a Sunday morning. Or out on the bike.

Saturday night MOTD is on far too late.

Always has been a Chelsea supporting area. The same way Kilburn has a large Chelsea support, and that isn't exactly local either. Goes back many years, long before the Premier League attracted people who use phrases such as "pretty much the only team one is permitted to support". :wink:
  • DonDaddyD
    Also I've long since wanted Arsenal to compete in the UEFA CUP. We'll win that see and that will give the players the much needed taste of blood they need.

This year with the sale of team we could go into the UEFA CUP with a reduce impact on our finances.
    Food Chain number = 4

• FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327

I always liked Flo

he was great at Chelsea, did absolutely nothing at Sunderland!!! :?

Only a Chelsea supporter could say they miss the days of Wise!!! :wink:
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • asprilla
    FoldingJoe wrote:

I always liked Flo

Only a Chelsea supporter could say they miss the days of Wise!!! :wink:

A Newcastle fan certainly couldn't.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    To quote DonDaddyD " Chelsea's buy the league policy is what destroyed English football IMO." So before Chelsea nobody ever 'bought' the league. It was fine for Liverpool to go out every summer and spend big money, lets say £900,000 on John Barnes or Nottingham Forest going out and spending £1,000,000 on Trevor Francis. Might not seem that much now, but at the time it was sums that other clubs could not dream of spending. It seems some people were quite happy with the cosy little arrangement where Arsenal won the Premiership one year, United the next year, they would have a bit of a punch up with each other now and again and the rest just made up the numbers. Well bolloc%s to that, the game has changed, some things are better and some are worse, but don't delude yourself that it was all the fault of one club. And as for English football being destroyed, blimey, just cos Arsenal have not won anything for a while!
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    To quote DonDaddyD " Chelsea's buy the league policy is what destroyed English football IMO." So before Chelsea nobody ever 'bought' the league. It was fine for Liverpool to go out every summer and spend big money, lets say £900,000 on John Barnes or Nottingham Forest going out and spending £1,000,000 on Trevor Francis. Might not seem that much now, but at the time it was sums that other clubs could not dream of spending. It seems some people were quite happy with the cosy little arrangement where Arsenal won the Premiership one year, United the next year, they would have a bit of a punch up with each other now and again and the rest just made up the numbers. Well bolloc%s to that, the game has changed, some things are better and some are worse, but don't delude yourself that it was all the fault of one club. And as for English football being destroyed, blimey, just cos Arsenal have not won anything for a while!

Or Blackburn, or Manure etc.etc. It's what's happened since time began.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131

All I really want is for a talented manager to be given time to build. I'd love for AVB to be that man.

Having said that I have given up my membership. Would rather go ride than go to the game these days.

My favourite time was when we came back from two nil down to beat Liverpool in the FA cup in 1997. Mark Hughes came on and changed the game. What I loved about those days was beating Liverpool in the cup was a MASSIVE result, literally almost unbelievable. To have players like Zola, Vialli and Mark Hughes was also pinch yourself stuff.

Mark Hughes, legend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wdGbXu76DI
  • il_principe
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Chelsea's buy the league policy is what destroyed English football IMO. Other teams had to follow suit and it's all the vogue to have each of the starting XI bought for £10mil or more.

I agree with Rick Chasey's post.

I will never agree that Walcott was a better player at Southampton. He may have looked better amongst the shoot that Southampton fielded but lined up with a proper team he looks class but still needs to develop, which is what he is doing. Moving to Arsenal was the best thing for him - he'll also less likely burnout young like many young players pushed too soon (Joe Cole, Owen etc).

If the current Arsenal team (which is pretty good on paper) were to ever believe they could they'd win the league - they are good enough.

But as I said in 38 games we'll revisit this thread.

As others have pointed out, this is utter tosh. Besides which spending lots does not guarantee a league win, that takes a great manager. Manure etc have been outspending other clubs for years anyway.

Typical of the rantings you hear from bitter gooners.

As for English footie being destroyed... b0ll0cks. This years should be a competitive one and far tougher to call than say the Spanish league.
  • il_principe
    Sewinman wrote:

My favourite time was when we came back from two nil down to beat Liverpool in the FA cup in 1997. Mark Hughes came on and changed the game. What I loved about those days was beating Liverpool in the cup was a MASSIVE result, literally almost unbelievable. To have players like Zola, Vialli and Mark Hughes was also pinch yourself stuff.

Mark Hughes, legend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wdGbXu76DI

Mind you from the 200's what about Chelsea 4, Barca 2 March 2005. Best game I've ever seen at the Bridge. 3 goals for us in 19 minutes, that Ronaldinho goal, and then Terry's header that sent us through 5 - 4 on aggregate.

Or Bridge's 88 min goal away at Arsenal to send us through to the CL semi-final.

Happy Days. Magic stuff.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    HamishD wrote:

Mark Stein = Stoke hero. 31 goals in the last season he played for us. Legend.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Gussio wrote:
    HamishD wrote:

Mark Stein = Stoke hero. 31 goals in the last season he played for us. Legend.

He was a gobby diving little git when he ended up at Bournemouth ;)
    <a>road</a>
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I would be rather grateful if you were to sign this

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/2199

It's about releasing the hillsborough documents

Thanks
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • asprilla
    Beat the great unwashed down the road today. That was a pleasant surprise, but given recent history it shouldn't have been. Still, we stuffed them past year and finished below them. Can you tell I'm not particularly optimistic?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3