The Footie Thread - may contain spoilers

Comments

• the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Hartlepool - I'll settle for another season where we're safe by March. Don't think we'll trouble the top half of the table, but League One looks a little more open than it has for a while.

Hats off to the Board for the 100 quid season ticket offer. Doubled each home gate already compared to last season.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Chelsea. Not good result yesterday but there's a long way to go and Stoke are a good side, especially defensively. Woodgate continues to be our personal nemesis, he ALWAYS plays well against Chelsea.

I wish wee Josh McEachran would get a start . . .
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    HamishD wrote:
    Chelsea. Not good result yesterday but there's a long way to go and Stoke are a good side, especially defensively. Woodgate continues to be our personal nemesis, he ALWAYS plays well against Chelsea.

I wish wee Josh McEachran would get a start . . .

Thank you :D Woodgate was excellent yesterday. Hopefully the gamble on his fitness will pay off.
  • HamishD
    Yes it most certainly is a gamble !

But - IMHO - if he hadn't had these fitness problems/injuries, Woodgate would have been the finest defender of his generation, bar none.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Chelsea fan as well. HIgh hopes for this season and for AVB. I really hope that Roman has seen sense and will stick with this manager for a good few years - IMHO this constant chopping/changing of managers is why we have never built on JM's success. However, we desperately need a creative spark or 2. Modric and a flying winger, someone as god as Arjen Robben was in his pomp. Should've won yesterday, unlucky with the pens. As Someone else said, it is sickening to see Manure sneaking 3 points, but De Gea looks like a real weakness.
  • Gussio
    Possible shout for one of your penalty calls, blatant dive for the other. Stoke also had a good call. To be fair, I think that the ref had a very good game and made the right decisions.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Can someone tell me when Arsene Wenger is going to buy some players?

I mean as long as I can remember (this was back in the Adams Keown days) we have needed a centre back, central midfielder and a striker - if not for the starting eleven then as cover.

It has been a decade or so and we need the same.

Now Wenger is great and I don't think he should be sacked as I can't see another Manager taking the club any further than he has and I beleive this even before I take into consideration his superb business acumen.

But seriously, when is Arsene Wenger going to buy some players. I mean he actually bought three defenders in the past two years (Vermaelen in 2009, Koscielny and Squillaci in 2010) but we need another commanding central defender. We also need a midfielder not just to replace Fabregas* and/or Nasri but because we need 'quality in the depth of squad'. Lastly he showed an interest in a left winger, I'm not sure why I still think we need yet another striker.

But the sad thing is, Arsenal isn't a bad squad (on paper) and if all those players came good or lived up to their potential for just one season we would win a trophy even the league - as inconceiveable as that is did anyone think the 2003 - 2004 team were ever going to be THAT good. Arsene Wenger makes stars he very rarely buys them.

But still this team, they've just lost belief and attending the Emirates at the Emirates cup, it seems the fans have stopped believeing as well. We need a top signing or for someone to emerge.

*As for Fabregas, I will be one of the many that will stand applaud and thank him for his service. He has served the club, it's time for him to follow his dream. I hope he has a great, full and long career. Arsenal existed before him and we will continue without him. I wish him the best.

Sorry, this was a real question but then I got all emotional....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,977
    I just heard that Chelsea have sacked Scolari. Wow.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,977
    Ok for everyone in Scotland and the lower leagues it's been back a couple of weeks
    No, you are mistaken. They play a similar game here in Scotland, called "fit'ba", but there is a rule preventing teams from making consecutive passes below shoulder height. Its kind of like rugby but with a round ball.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Have to say, I find the Arsenal thing fascinating - from a distance.

I know a lot of Arsenal fans. They really aren't happy.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Southampton.

Move along, nothing to see hear. The media aren't interested in us unless we're flogging a teenager (ooooerrrr!) so that means we stay under the radar, just as we like it.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • cje
    cje Posts: 148
    Southampton.

Move along, nothing to see hear. The media aren't interested in us unless we're flogging a teenager (ooooerrrr!) so that means we stay under the radar, just as we like it.

Watched a documentary about Matt Le Tissier last night. What a great player he was.
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Wasn't getting too carried away about City this season but now that I've seen Aguero...

Wow.
  • HamishD
    He is some player, isn't he?. If we'd bought him, he'd be a lemon . . . :oops:
  • DonDaddyD
    Have to say, I find the Arsenal thing fascinating - from a distance.

I know a lot of Arsenal fans. They really aren't happy.

I'm not unhappy and there are a lot of fake fans out there.

I don't think sacking Arsene is the solution, seriously what available Manager is going to take the club forward and demonstrate the same levels of financial responsibility as Arsene has?

The only Manager in the Premiership who has surpassed Arsene's legacy is Alex Ferguson. All other Managers pale (IMO) when you look at what they've done for a club in the time Arsene has been at Arsenal

I love the current culture and player development at Arsenal.

I get seriously pissed off when some Arsenal fans say that he should be sacked.

Fabregas had to go, he wanted to go, I don't believe in holding onto players that want to go. We held out for the best price possible while not ruining the dreams of a player who has been one of our most loyal servants. Chapeau.

Nasri I like him but unless he demonstrates the same class and integrity as Fabregas then he can F-off. People forget Wenger found them, developed them and gave them a chance. Who's to say Wiltshire, Ramsey, Lansbury and Frimpong won't be the next star off the Wengerbelt.

Wenger should remain. Guy just needs to one of two things to happen

1). Spend some money

and/or

2). One of the kids reaches Wenger's expectations and their supposed potential.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    edited August 2011
    It's not for Wenger to show financial responsibility it's his job to choose players and the board to sanction the move

oh legacy? empty trophy room more like, you couldn't even win the trophy you created ffs

given the now 2 suspensions and tiredness and extreme importance of the udinese games I can see us turning Arsenal over
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Gussio
    Hmmmm....Citeh looked quite tasty against Swansea :?
  • Clever Pun
    Gussio wrote:

you'd expect them to, they were awful at first but got their game together eventually.. Ageuro is going to do some damage in the prem
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Gussio
    Fair point. Only time I saw them live last season was in the FA cup final. They looked nothing like a team but had the individual brilliance to pull it off.

Ageuro looks like he is going to be special.
  • DonDaddyD
    Clever Pun wrote:
    It's not for Wenger to show financial responsibility it's his job to choose players and the board to sanction the move

oh legacy? empty trophy room more like, you couldn't even win the trophy you created ffs

given the now 2 suspensions and tiredness and extreme importance of the udinese games I can see us turning Arsenal over

Who is "us"?

Legacy:

Moving Arsenal from Highbury to Emirates increasing the corporate value of the club.

Winning 3 League's and 4 FA Cup's is more than some clubs have won in the time he has managed Arsenal.

Thierry Henry

WENT THE ENTIRE SEASON UNDEFEATED

And I think what you said is rubbish, Manager's should demonstrate some financial acumen and responsibility. If this was Spain or Italy where the club owners buy the players and the Head Coach trains and fields the team then sure the purchasing responsibility is shifted from the manager. But in England, Football Managers are very much involved and responsible for transfers/signings and so must demonstrate good business sense or you end up with a situation where clubs go into administration or are lumbered with huge debt.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Clever Pun
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Who is "us"?

Legacy:

Moving Arsenal from Highbury to Emirates increasing the corporate value of the club.

Winning 3 League's and 4 FA Cup's is more than some clubs have won in the time he has managed Arsenal.

Thierry Henry

And I think what you said is rubbish, Manager's should demonstrate some financial acumen and responsibility. If this was Spain or Italy where the club owners buy the players and the Head Coach trains and fields the team then sure the purchasing responsibility is shifted from the manager. But in England, Football Managers are very much involved and responsible for transfers/signings and so must demonstrate good business sense or you end up with a situation where clubs go into administration or are lumbered with huge debt.

jesus, shorten your posts keep it to one or two points it's hard work fighting through the verbal onslaught

As said previously I'm a Liverpool fan, we're playing you on Saturday if you didn't know (being in-between the udinese games is a rather big clue as well)

Henry has left.. no legacy, nice memories a great signing nonetheless

Wenger how much was he really involved in a new stadium? did he design it? choose the location, pitch widths?

yes undefeated is impressive, nothing to actually show for it though a few commemerative mugs maybe... a bit spurs though at the end of the day :wink:

6 years without a trophy.. for such a successful team I'm not sure how that's
    acceptable

Yes managers should have financial acumen but they ultimately don't pay them money themselves, the guys upstairs have final say
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Who is "us"?

Legacy:

Thierry Henry

Depends, 'Arry at Spurs would piss all our money up the wall if allowed. Fortunately Daniel Levy knows how to run a business and reins him in.

You need a manager like Arsene Wenger if they have a poor chairman. Arsenal are extremely well run, though I do think Arsenal have fallen away a bit in the last few years and seem to need a couple of players who can kill off a game. Maybe someone like Joey Barton, though even as a Spurs fan I'd not wish Joey Barton on Arsenal
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    A few things:

CJE - Yes Matt Le Tissier was a great player.

Gussio - I was at that Cup Final (as a guest of Hampshire FA) and Man City looked very much a team, the first time that they had. Ballotelli in particular had a very, very good game and you guys offered absolutely nothing.

DDD - I'm sorry but this "Wenger developed them" story is just rubbish. The volume of players that you have go through that club that clearly aren't up to it and don't get developed as well as the ruination of players like Walcott offers plenty of proof. You paid £10m for Henry, he was hardly young talent that needed nurturing. Similarly you paid serious money for Nasri, who as an OM fan (at least 6 games a season) I can tell you you've managed to stifle as well with constant positional changes, undermining confidence with endless substitutions etc. Yes Ramsey looks promising, but he came from Cardiff and was already obviously talented (and expensive). Let's be honest Wilshere and Gibbs are the only two that have genuinely come through the ranks and look like the real deal (the jury's very much out on Lansbury). Oh, but thanks for the £12m for Alex, he really is the real deal, even better than Theo was at that age, but god knows what Wenger has in mind for him bearing in mind he took a striker, turned him into a winger and then tries to tell us that "eventually I see him playing through the middle". Remember, most of those trophies were won with a combination of Graham's defence and Wenger's attacking flair. One of those is missing now..............
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Gussio
    Gussio - I was at that Cup Final (as a guest of Hampshire FA) and Man City looked very much a team, the first time that they had. Ballotelli in particular had a very, very good game and you guys offered absolutely nothing.

It was such a shame that we didn't turn up for the final, especially after the game that we had against Bolton in the semi. With such a small squad, perhaps it was just one game too many? While it is great to be in the Europa this season, I do worry that it means a lot of games (potentially) with a similarly narrow squad.

Re: Ballotelli, I thought that he was a disgrace. No end of pulling, shoving and poor sportsmanship. He was a handful, very fast but not nice to watch. Obviously biased and similar comments can be aimed at half of Stoke's squad :wink:
  • DonDaddyD
    Club owners buy players on the recommendation of Managers. Managers even suggest what thy believe is a reasonable price/salary. Financial acumen and responsibility is a must.

CP, Arsenal have a one of a kind Premier League trophy for winning the league undefeated that's something to show for it..

lostboysaint,

Walcott is 20-21 years old, he has hardly had a full career to suggest it has faltered. Also I assume he looked amazing amongst the lesser Southampton players... Thierry Henry was unhappy, played as a winger and written off as a flop at Juventus when we bought him. Nasri we bought from Lazio for £12mil it takes time to adjust to the Prem, he plays better now than he ever did at Lazio and the French league pales in comparison to the Prem.

There is no question that Wenger has an eye for talent and gets the best out of players. No question. To suggest otherwise is to not have watched football for the past 10 or so years.

The season is 38 games long. In Wenger I trust.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Clever Pun
    Sorry for some reason I thought the undeafted season still didn't win anything.. not sure what happened there,

yes Wenger does like young kids... and can spot their potential, it doesn't always materialise though.

We'll still turn you over on Saturday as your squad isn't deep enough, it's almost like you should sign some players.

you should have faith in your manager but a lot of fans booing at a friendly (what the hell was with that/?) think otherwise
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Gussio wrote:

Reading fan. We went there last season, kept it tight and were probably the better team over 90mins and lost unluckily 1-0 to a late set-piece.

That preening oaf Rodgers goes up there, plays so called "pretty football" and gets dicked 4-0.

My conclusions:

a) the play-off final was a travesty
    b) Swansea's keeper will be the only thing saving them from being relegated by Christmas
    c) Rodgers will have a meltdown and either be sacked/resigned before then anyway. He thinks he is Mourinho v2.0 and can't change his style to "win ugly". Swansea don't have the players by a long shot to play Rodgers' style in the Prem.
    d) City might, just might have what it takes this year.
    <a>road</a>
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Nasri we bought from Lazio for £12mil it takes time to adjust to the Prem, he plays better now than he ever did at Lazio and the French league pales in comparison to the Prem.

Erm, I think you'll find that Arse bought Nasri from Marseille, not Lazio.

I work with a lifelong Arsenal season ticket holder (who's in his 40's), even he is getting fed up with Wenger now. No point in 'developing youth' only to sell them on. Arsenal are the world's biggest feeder club, and won't be in the top 4 this season unless they buy some physicality.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Chelsea fan here but haven't really been following much since Baby Cat came along as even Sunday morning MOTD can't have my full attention as its Lady Cat's lay-in so I'm doing bottles, making puree, changing nappies, feeding, cleaning, doing laundry and playing building blocks on a Sunday morning. Or out on the bike.

Saturday night MOTD is on far too late.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,354
    Chelsea fan here but haven't really been following much since Baby Cat came along as even Sunday morning MOTD can't have my full attention as its Lady Cat's lay-in so I'm doing bottles, making puree, changing nappies, feeding, cleaning, doing laundry and playing building blocks on a Sunday morning. Or out on the bike.

Saturday night MOTD is on far too late.

I've noticed since moving to Carshalton that Chelsea is pretty much the only team one is permitted to support - is there a reason for this? Not exactly local are they?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition