Any London left?

Comments

• W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Sewinman wrote:
    W1 wrote:

I've avoided commenting so far, but I wonder whether those who supported the thugs and yobs in the student "protests" stick to their position faced with riots on their own door-steps - their property being smashed up this time.

Fundamentally both these riots and those riots came down to the same thing - irresponsible thugs wanting any excuse for a good ruck and a bit of destruction and violence that they can get away with.

Wahey! Finally!

Is that it?

Is it time for another U-turn Sewinman? Are you less of a supporter of thuggery and vandalism now?
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Kicking off Woolwich and Plumstead.

Woolwich has been shut down. All shops closed and all offices have been evacuated.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,382
    rjsterry wrote:
    ETA: Tooting is looking like a probable target though - will stick to my route avoiding the main shopping streets.

Please tell me they're looting in Tooting

#inappropriateLOL

You are a bad man TWH! <stifled snigger>
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    W1 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    W1 wrote:

I've avoided commenting so far, but I wonder whether those who supported the thugs and yobs in the student "protests" stick to their position faced with riots on their own door-steps - their property being smashed up this time.

Fundamentally both these riots and those riots came down to the same thing - irresponsible thugs wanting any excuse for a good ruck and a bit of destruction and violence that they can get away with.

Wahey! Finally!

Is that it?

Is it time for another U-turn Sewinman? Are you less of a supporter of thuggery and vandalism now?

You're trolling, W1. Drawing parallels to the Student protests, the riots that were associated with them, and these riots is clearly just meant to provoke.
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    ETA: Tooting is looking like a probable target though - will stick to my route avoiding the main shopping streets.

#inappropriateLOL

Just spotted a tweet: 'They're looting in Tooting! They're stealing in Ealing! I don't wanna know what's going on in Bank...'
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    lastant wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

#inappropriateLOL

Just spotted a tweet: 'They're looting in Tooting! They're stealing in Ealing! I don't wanna know what's going on in Bank...'

Blast - beat me to it :)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,346
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    W1 wrote:

Wahey! Finally!

Is that it?

You're trolling, W1. Drawing parallels to the Student protests, the riots that were associated with them, and these riots is clearly just meant to provoke.

He's not entirely wrong though
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    W1 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    W1 wrote:

Wahey! Finally!

Is that it?

What U-turn? I am not a politician and this is not some snivelling school debating society.

My opinions of these things are entirely subjective and depend on the circumstances. I know you wish to gleefully call me a hypocrite and you are entitled to your view, but I don't see it as a binary matter.

Let us not hijack this thread.
  • @lastant

Top shout

:lol::lol::lol:
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • i work for the jobcentre, and the following jobcentres have shut at the polices advice

Hackney
    Dalston
    Poplar
    Barking
    Plaistow (apparently the jobcentre is next to a jewellers which is being looted now

hope this helps anyone
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • d.mart
    d.mart Posts: 88
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Kicking off Woolwich and Plumstead.

Woolwich has been shut down. All shops closed and all offices have been evacuated.

Been told that Greenwich Park has been shut now as there are 'gangs of youths' roaming around. Not been there but friend called and told missus not to take the kids as it's been shut for above reasons. Not heard any reports of Greenwich shops getting smashed up but all those going SE tonight an extra dose of caution seemingly won't go amiss.

Be careful out there...
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Likewise - we have just been told to go home unless we need to be at work. Apparently things are happening in Wandsworth and Earlsfield.

Keep your heads down.....
  • notsoblue
    He's not entirely right either. He won't see the difference between protesters and the criminals that take advantage of a protest. Regardless of your attitude to how much people should pay for education, it's churlish to suggest that teenagers shouldn't have a right to protest. Which is effectively what is being said every time someone mentions protesters in the same breath as rioters.

The riots in London have nothing to do with the tuition fee protests. To suggest that they're directly related is trolling imo. Even comparing the d1cks who occupied Millbank Tower with the looters is pretty myopic. All they have in common is youth and criminal damage, and if thats all someone sees then theres very little point in debating with them.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Definitely stay out the way - especially since I imagine the police will be a little more forceful tonight...

No point trying to be hero.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    According to one commentator this is ' the revenge of the ignored underclass' - so not just people nicking trainers then :!:
  • rjsterry
    If they are the underclass, how come so many have got Blackberrys?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Is that the defining characteristic then: not owning a Blackberry?
  • notsoblue
    rjsterry wrote:

So if they're not an underclass, how would you label them?
  • tailwindhome
    rjsterry wrote:

Cos they stole them. Durrr!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    apparently there is a bit of a gathering going on in Tottenham court road ( lots of electrical retailers!). Our office front doors have been closed.

May have to give TCR a wide berth tonight on the commute home, not sure a Bromton is the vehicle of choice for a vigilante stand against rioters.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • tailwindhome
    notsoblue wrote:
    He's not entirely right either. He won't see the difference between protesters and the criminals that take advantage of a protest. Regardless of your attitude to how much people should pay for education, it's churlish to suggest that teenagers shouldn't have a right to protest. Which is effectively what is being said every time someone mentions protesters in the same breath as rioters.

The riots in London have nothing to do with the tuition fee protests. To suggest that they're directly related is trolling imo. Even comparing the d1cks who occupied Millbank Tower with the looters is pretty myopic. All they have in common is youth and criminal damage, and if thats all someone sees then theres very little point in debating with them.

I think he sees the difference between protester and criminals.

What I don't understand is the difference between the criminals smashing London up under the smoke screen of student fees and those using the smokescreen of social injustice and a police shooting to similarly smash up London.
  • rjsterry
    notsoblue wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

So if they're not an underclass, how would you label them?

Thieves?

My point was that this isn't a protest against urban poverty, although that poverty may well be indirectly linked. I'd guess that most of those affected by the rioting will be earning below average.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    F*ck. Sounds like it's kicking off in Fulham.

*groan*
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    rjsterry wrote:
    I'd guess that most of those affected by the rioting will be earning below average.

They certainly will be once they get sent down for riot.

"Poor" Charlie Gilmour got 18 months for lobbing a bin at a car - there are going to be some stiff sentences handed out and that's your life gone.

Feck 'em....
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238

*groan*

Source and where exactly?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • rick_chasey
    Search Fulham under twitter.

People saying they're turfed out of Fulham Broadway since the police told them to shut it all down. Others reporting riot police heading to Parson's Green.
  • sketchley

People saying they're turfed out of Fulham Broadway since the police told them to shut it all down. Others reporting riot police heading to Parson's Green.

Don't have twitter at work.

Might go via Imperial Wharf and Hurlingham Park to Putney Bridge.....
    --
    Chris

• pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    Sketchley wrote:

*groan*

Source and where exactly?

Search Fulham in twitter. A few reports of them heading there from Wandsworth..
  • Irvinet
    Irvinet Posts: 117

General warning to take everything on twitter with a pound of salt. Lots and lots of bull$hit on there at the moment(even more than usual). Plenty of it looks like it is just being shared for kicks.

Search for just about any area of London right now and you will see reports of things happening there.

I do know that lots of areas have been told to take the precaution of shutting up but I am yet to hear confirmed reports of anything serious kicking off this afternoon. Not saying nothing is happening but if twitter was correct I think the army would be on the streets by now....
    Roberts Audax - Raleigh Fixie - Thorn Tandem
  • sketchley
    C@ck. New route home needed. Suggestions?
    --
    Chris