Any London left?

Comments

• Guess I'll still be going into work then :cry:

As my return journey is from 10:00, however, I think I'll take the car :cry:
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    England football game cancelled.

Is Arsne Wenger behind the riots? He didn't want his player involved. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    edited August 2011
    Anyone fancy finding a few hoodies to hug this evening?

I'm up for it :twisted: .

I hope Condor Cycles are ok.

I know GB Cycles in Croydon was hit.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Guess I'll still be going into work then :cry:

Given that they are setting cars on fire and one guy in a car has already been shot dead, you are probably safer on the bike :shock:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,346
    London, London, London

That's *all* we ever hear about on this forum
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    BJ is quoted (on BBC) as saying there will be 16,000 police out tonight. Hopefully this will either bring the situation to a head leading to the crims being beaten and arrested, or they'll be deterred by the possibility of being beaten and arrested and stay at home. Weather tomorrow doesn't look so good so that should dampen things further and that will be the end of it. Hopefully.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    daviesee wrote:
    Guess I'll still be going into work then :cry:

Given that they are setting cars on fire and one guy in a car has already been shot dead, you are probably safer on the bike :shock:

Apparently looters were burglaring as well, breaking into peoples homes while they were in bed nicking anything they could. Chaos. More TVs to watch their antics on SKYNews.

Announce a curfew and those still on the streets looting and trashing the place let the Army shoot on sight.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    I live next to Southside so keeping an eye on this. It's all bollocks on twitter, but this guy is posting updates with pics, all looks fine.

http://tinyurl.com/3wvkzen

http://yfrog.com/h8tg6drj
    Thanks for those, will check before leaving.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    sketchley, pitchshifter!

joining the blackfriars convoy please! aiming to make it for just after 5 too...wearinng mainly red today! :twisted:
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Ok I'll be at Blackfriers ramp between 5.10 and 5.15pm.

I will leave at 5.15pm as per my Garmin. Which says 4.35pm as I hit send.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • sketchley
    From BBC

"1629: Twenty-three people have appeared before magistrates at Camberwell Green in south London charged with offences connected to last night's rioting in Brixton, Streatham and Clapham. The 20 men and three women ranged in age from 18 to 47. Twenty-two were charged with entering electrical goods and clothing shops with intent to steal goods. One man was charged with assaulting a police officer. They have been remanded in custody to appear in court at a later date."

Good, had visions of them being released on bail to start again tonight.
    --
    Chris

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    That's very quick!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Best sellers on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/movers-and-s ... =zg_bs_tab
    Rucanor Aluminium Baseball Bat, Silver - 60 cm up 5,149% :shock:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    Rioter just interviewed

"why are you rioting?"

"Cuz we're annoyed inni, we're always stopped and searched inni, we're broke"

Does this person not see the irony in what he/they are doing?
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • rick_chasey
    bails87 wrote:
    Best sellers on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/movers-and-s ... =zg_bs_tab
    Rucanor Aluminium Baseball Bat, Silver - 60 cm up 5,149% :shock:
    Yeah. Not surprised.

The best weapon I have at home currently is either a frying pan or a small hammer.

Not really much use when you're 5ft6 in the unlikely event I'll be attacked.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Rioter just interviewed

"why are you rioting?"

"Cuz we're annoyed inni, we're always stopped and searched inni, we're broke"

Does this person not see the irony in what he/they are doing?

No, he doesn't.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    edited August 2011
    notsoblue wrote:
    He's not entirely wrong though
    He's not entirely right either. He won't see the difference between protesters and the criminals that take advantage of a protest. Regardless of your attitude to how much people should pay for education, it's churlish to suggest that teenagers shouldn't have a right to protest. Which is effectively what is being said every time someone mentions protesters in the same breath as rioters.

The riots in London have nothing to do with the tuition fee protests. To suggest that they're directly related is trolling imo. Even comparing the d1cks who occupied Millbank Tower with the looters is pretty myopic. All they have in common is youth and criminal damage, and if thats all someone sees then theres very little point in debating with them.

I think he sees the difference between protester and criminals.

What I don't understand is the difference between the criminals smashing London up under the smoke screen of student fees and those using the smokescreen of social injustice and a police shooting to similarly smash up London.

50,000 protesters the vast majority law abiding, and the ones that were kettled were the ones that by definition were sticking to the agreed route of the protest, so were more likely to be doing nothing wrong.
  • rick_chasey
    BREAKING: The Independent Police Complaints Commission has just announced that there is no evidence that Mark Duggan opened fire at police officers before he was shot dead, according to ballistic test results, reports the Press Association.

From the Guardian.

Oh dear.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    BREAKING: The Independent Police Complaints Commission has just announced that there is no evidence that Mark Duggan opened fire at police officers before he was shot dead, according to ballistic test results, reports the Press Association.

From the Guardian.

Oh dear.

Channel 4 said as much last night. Not the best timing though.
  • BREAKING: The Independent Police Complaints Commission has just announced that there is no evidence that Mark Duggan opened fire at police officers before he was shot dead, according to ballistic test results, reports the Press Association.

From the Guardian.

Oh dear.

so what. Man with gun dies by gunshot? nothing wrong in that. wtf was he doing with a gun in first place or is that allowed now?
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    edited August 2011
    If the feather duster is to be run over ts thread, perhaps the original post on page 23 could be spring cleaned.

EDIT: as if by magic...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Pretty much all the riot police from Yorkshire and Cleveland are in London. I wonder of the Youth of Middlesbobough, Leeds, Hull etc... are aware of this yet.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452

From the Guardian.

Oh dear.

I'm not sure that there is much of a tenable link between what is happening on the streets and what took place in Tottenham. There may have been earlier in the week, but it seems less so now.
  • watchfire
    watchfire Posts: 174
    I just pedalled around fulham, chelsea, sloane sq, clapham and wandsworth. Only place that felt like it was soon to be trouble was Wandsworth, shedloads of police looking very anxious, all shops shut. For the moment any commute through those areas looks fine.
    My classifieds feedback thread for reference

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40046&t=12946446
  • watchfire wrote:
    I just pedalled around fulham, chelsea, sloane sq, clapham and wandsworth. Only place that felt like it was soon to be trouble was Wandsworth, shedloads of police looking very anxious, all shops shut. For the moment any commute through those areas looks fine.

It might be worth posting the news on the troublespot thread here http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12794824
  • watchfire
    watchfire Posts: 174
    This is the scene at clapham junction now. The torched shop is the party superstore that burnt for about 5 hours last night. With helium canisters in it.

All about 5 minutes from my house. Nice.

P1000170.jpg
    My classifieds feedback thread for reference

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40046&t=12946446
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266

From the Guardian.

Oh dear.

But he did have a gun on him

Do you see any causal connection between the two?

No Dear
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • sketchley
    Greg T wrote:

From the Guardian.

Oh dear.

But he did have a gun on him

Do you see any causal connection between the two?

No Dear

Also, as quoted, The police believe there was a danger to human life, the guidelines allow the police to fire in such circumstances.

Pure speculation but what if he went for his gun whilst shouting threats to kill either the cab driver, who is yet to give his story as he is too distressed, or a police officer. Do you really think the police should wait until the gun is fired before taking action?
    --
    Chris

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    edited August 2011
    antfly wrote:
    blah blah blah.

Can you elaborate?

EDIT: Lol, mods are quick....